AFFINITY

Eternities

 

XXIII. WON SHIK


 

I walked briskly towards the oak door with a cup of warm coffee on one hand. I knocked unto the slammer and cleared my throat. "Yes?" The husky voice came from the other side. "Sir..." I was about to say something when my sentence was cut off. "Come in." With only one word, he knew my intention, so I opened the door and entered the neatly decorated room. I stood still in front of the working man, exhaling deeply and calming my nerves.

 

"Sir, for your schedule, you have a meeting at two regarding the stocks and sales, you also need to check the progress of the new project headed by the executive department and you have an appointment with your father - " 

 

He looked up and gave me a stern look. I shuddered, and with just that, I knew what I had to do. "...T-The president." I corrected, gulping the lump in my throat, "Tomorrow." After completing my report, the man in a black and elegant suit which was loose around the collars sat straight. His sudden action made me flinch. He sighed and put his hands together in a professional manner, thinking deeply as his thoughts abstracted. "...I don't remember having an appointment with the head." He looked up and raised an eyebrow at me. My chest pounded in agitation. "And also, the meeting's at three, not two." 

 

"B-But sir, I've got your schedule straight out of the - " I tried to explain but he glared at me, again. I lowered my face when a frown was demanding to show up. "When I say that I'm right, I'm right. Got it?" I bobbed my head.

 

He raised two fingers up and beckoned me to come closer. I held the saucer tightly. Just when I was about to place it on his table, I stumbled. I closed my eyes tightly. By the time I've heard a hiss, I knew I was in deep trouble. I'm gonna be so dead! I slowly opened my shutters, and right then and there, I saw his coat drenched in hot, brewed liquid. My mind panicked just as sweat drops run down my forehead. "I-I-I'm very sorry, sir!" I looked around and grabbed some tissues and started dabbing it onto his wet coat. "Never mind." His whole face cringed.

 

I backed up a bit and looked down. To my surprise, I saw his leg stretched at the spot where I tripped. I blinked twice at the man who was already standing up and stripping his ebony coat off. The man threw me his coat which hit spot on to my face; I've been thinking more than once about his uncanny and juvenile actions. It's been months since he's been playing with me. Truth to be told, he was the one making up horrible stuff about me to make me seem like an idiot... I only follow orders! 

 

"Sir." I got the coat off my face. "Are you trying to get me fired?" I've decided to fight back.

 

He stared at me with this smile on his face. "You're one smart woman, that's why I've taken a liking to you."

 

"...What do you mean?" 

 

"Don't you remember, my dear secretary?" He removed his eyeglasses and placed them on his desk full of papers. "Relationships between co-workers are not allowed here. I've been trying to get you fired for months, but you're a tough one." He suddenly leaned towards my face, piercing my eyes with his. "If one of us gets fired, then you know what happens."

 

"So, the sooner you get fired, the better." Won Shik smirked.

 


 

600 words.

PROMPT 159. Your character thinks his/her boss is looking for an excuse to fire him/her. He/She decides to fight back...