008

The Story of Us

We sat in Woohyun's car, and he was driving. I napped here and there, but I realised we were heading more and more into the countryside. Eventually, we stopped at a large traditional Korean style house/estate beside a lake in the forest. He cleared his throat and so I looked at him.

 

'Lets talk' he said. I nodded as a reply.

 

'I'm sorry for the way I've been acting' he said, which completely startled me. I stared at him. 

 

'What?' I said, out of shock, more than anything.

 

'Well, I am. But I don't want to hide it from you any longer. I had a girlfriend before you came' he said. My heart twisted a little. So that was why he liked to ignore me. Not gonna lie, I was naive enough to think that we could perhaps start off as friends, and then maybe fall in love? But his words completely shattered the illusion.

 

'Oh' was all I could manage, in a small voice.

 

'Yeah, and we were planning on getting married. Until I found out I was engaged to you from birth.' he added, in a bitter tone.

 

Ouch, Nam Woohyun. Rubbing salt into a wound, are you? Well, time to be strong Soomin, time to be strong.

 

'Oh yeah? And I need to know this because...' I asked

 

He didn't seem to expect my answer, because he took a minute before replying.

 

'Well, I don't want you to think I'm expressing my feelings in a weird way, and I also don't want to hide anything from you. I have a girlfriend whom I love and that's the truth.' he said.

 

'That's awesome (!) Really.' I said bitterly.  My heart sank with each word he said, and I couldn't help but to be a little jealous. Woohyun is an attractive man, and I admit that I am falling for him, little by little. Plus, he was competent at running his company, which made him even more attractive in my eyes. I know people don't usually develop feelings for someone they just met, but any sane person would be feeling sad if their fiance just told them he had another woman in his life.

 

'Oh. I get it. You love someone already. But how do you know, they're not just using you? And, couldn't we at least try to get along?' I asked

 

'Get along? Why would I want to do that?' he asked me with an incredulous expression.

 

'I don't know, because maybe, if you look at it from my perspective, I never planned on getting married to you either. But I was told that I'm marrying you one day, and I'm just trying to make the best of it. At least I'm willing to try, Woohyun, unlike you, who are just being selfish and immature. You think I wanted this? I can't choose which family I was born into, so don't make it out like it's my fault!' I exclaimed, putting my feelings into a speech.

 

And with that, I got out of the car and slammed the door.