003

The Story of Us

Nam Woohyun.

 

What can I say about him?

 

Well, he most certainly is handsome, I'll give him that. On the day we got engaged, he looked amazing in his tux. He also didn't seem to be as bad as everyone had made him out to be, or that could be because he looks awesome. Much better than in magazines, though it could be because those pictures were generally grainy paparrazzi pics.

 

Oh, alright, I'll admit that I was smitten at first glance. With his appearance. I have never actually interacted with him before, so don't know him as a person. But I guess I should know that he doesn't like me, and doesn't seem to want to try. He never actually looked me in the eye during the whole thing. He kept looking in one direction, where a girl was sitting, dressed in an expensive dress and draped in fur and jewellery. She was the only girl in that corner when I looked, so unless he was gay (virtually impossible - I can read, and have read reports of his 'escapades') she must be the 'mystery girl that the Nam heir likes'. 

 

My heart dropped a little. 

 

Here I was, thinking we might give this a shot, and he's there with a girl already. Even though I knew he wouldn't have feelings for a girl he only just met (I, too, had no real feelings for him, at that point) but it stilll hurts to know that there's already someone else in the picture already.

 

His friends though, were a whole new world for me. 

 

Growing up, I had very few friends. In fact, no actual friends who weren't already related to me. My first cousins, Lee Aeyoung and Lee Chaeyoung were and still are my best girl friends; Aeyoung is my unnie, and Chaeyoung is my dongsaeng. Apart from that, I have some superficial friends from school and college, but that's all they were: superficial. We were 'friends' but apart from being friendly and inviting each other to parties, we never really had a lot to do with each other,  especially since my parents were a little paranoid.

 

So, meeting Woohyun's friends was extremely refreshing for me. They were in a little group that called themselves 'Infinite'. Sunggyu is the oldest, making him the de facto leader. He seemed to be a mature person and very warm and friendly, like a teddy bear almost. Apparently, he and Woohyun are best friends. There's Dongwoo, who is best friends with Hoya. Dongwoo looks a bit intimidating, but is possibly one of the craziest people I have ever met in my life, as well as one of the sunniest. Hoya is a little shy, but he did open up a little, and once he did, he too was extreme nice. He likes to dance, and made me promise to watch him at a performance later in the year. The tallest one, Sungyeol, is a little like Dongwoo, except where Dongwoo is just a little strange (but in a cute way), Sungyeol is like a five year old child who's hyper on a mix of caffeine and fizzy drinks. Myungsoo, who is now my new best friend. We found out that we're the same age and we have the same birthday, and he is only about an hour older than me, and so insists on me calling him 'oppa'. Actually, once he said that, the rest of Infinite (minus Woohyun, who was busy with his girl...friend) made a fuss to get me to call them oppa too, except Sungjong who was slightly disappointed that he was the youngest again. But he soon cheered up, and called me noona in a bright voice, and invited me to go shopping with him. Apparently his dad owns several of the big malls around here.

 

Infinite definitely cheered me up. They are a funny and friendly bunch of people, and accepted me easily into their circle. They also gave me a lot of encouragement about dealing with Woohyun. 

 

'He just needs someone to love him for who he is,' said Sunggyu. He smiled at me , then added, 'Just get to know him, he's actually a very nice person, who's just a little misunderstood sometimes.'

 

I didn't really understand, but I guess I'll try and be there for Woohyun.