001

The Story of Us

I looked down at the Harry Winston diamond ring on my ring finger.

 

I had just gotten engaged.

 

To someone who was like me - from a rich family, well educated...blah blah blah.

 

My family (OUR families) had planned the union from when we were mere infants. This is to be the greatest marriage of the century in the whole of South Korea - the merging of two of the largest companies in the country. It also helped that we were well known already, though we both had different images.

 

I was the 'good one'. The 'fairy'. The 'sister' or 'daughter' that every family wanted. Apparently.

 

He was the 'black sheep'. Always in the media but for all the wrong reasons. The 'brother' or 'son' that no one wanted. Or so it seemed.

 

I had heard whispers from my family. If he wasn't the eldest son, I wouldn't be marrying him. Our grandfathers had started as rivals, but later on saw the wisdom of merging our families together. They made a pact - the eldest grandson and granddaughter would marry each other. Of course, they were extremely lucky that the firstborn grandchildren (that's US) are a boy and a girl. It would have otherwise been a nightmare to sort out. And so thereyou have it. That is the reason why I have to marry Nam Woohyun.

 

For the sake of grandpa (whom I love so much, and we are also zodiac buddies too!!) I will marry him. I guess when you're born into a 'chaebol' family, your life is never really free anyway. Sure, it's great to never, ever have to worry about money but no one wants to know you for you, and I would never have a shot at love anyway - it might seem great and all, but at the end of the day people only want me for my wealth, not because they genuinely like me for who I am. Gosh I sound like a hypocrite. MONEY is precisely the reason why I'm marrying Nam Woohyun. Well, and power too. But in my defence, none of this was my decision - I was told, and I quote, 'to get engaged to him, then marry him, and hopefully have lots of babies with him to continue on with the dynasty.' 

 

Welcome to my life.