011

The Story of Us

Woohyun sighed again, before making his way out of the car. He walked towards the girl who was now sitting on a bench outside the house with a sad expression on her face. He stopped in front of her, but then Soomin turned her head, and pretended not to see him. Woohyun sighed before he crouched down in front of her.

 

'Soomin, I'm just being honest. I didn't want you to find out about my girlfriend from some place else, ok? If it makes you feel any better, I have never brought her here. In fact, even Infinite have never come here before. So this is our little secret, hm?' he said, pleading almost.

 

Soomin turned her head towards him, then uttered 'Really?' in a quiet voice.

 

'Yes.' replied Woohyun 'Lets go!'

 

He offered her his hand, but Soomin ignored it and got up. Woohyun sighed again, but then he did deserve it.

 


 

Soomin walked next to Woohyun, wondering where he was taking her. She was feeling nervous for various reasons: she didn't know where she was, and there was a lake next to her. It didn't help that they had to walk on a footpath next to the lake. She felt even more nervous, and shivered slightly. Woohyun noticed, and asked politely, 'Are you cold?'

 

'No.' replied Soomin. 'But where are we, and where are we going?'

 

'Where at the Nam Villa, our holiday estate, and currently, we're heading to my grandmother's grave.' Woohyun replied.

 

'G-grandmother's grave?' asked a shocked Soomin. 

 

'Yes, and we're here now.' said Woohyun, as he gestured towards a headstone.

 

Woohyun knelt before the grave, and paid his respects. Soomin, politely knelt with him. 

 

'Gram-Gram, how's heaven? I miss you. I brought someone to see you. This is Soomin, the girl Grandpa arranged for me to marry. Isn't she pretty? Anyway, I thought you should meet her too. Anyway, I'm sorry for not visiting you more, but I hope this visit makes up for it. Well, I love you!' said Woohyun, though his voice cracked a little towards the end. 

 

Again, Soomin was surprise, but happy too. He called me pretty! Yay!

 

Soomin turned her head towards Woohyun, to ask for an explantion. Woohyun turned to her, before starting his explanation.

 

'Gram-Gram is, as you can see my grandmother. She was the most amazing woman. For one thing, she made the most amazing kimchi. Anyway, basically, when I was 5 years old, an attempt was made to kidnap me for ransom. It was during the holidays, when most of the staff at our home was away with their families, so the house was almost empty. What happened was, the kidnappers smashed the window of the room we were in. They didn't realise that Gram-Gram had studied Taekwondo and was a black belt. She raised the alarm quickly, then picked me up and ran out the room and down a hallway. The kidnappers ran after us too, and when it was clear they were catching up, she tossed me down, and pushed me to go hide. Then she fought them. But then one of them pulled out a gun. They were careful to begin with, because they didn't want me dead - they wouldn't get any money that way. With me out the way temporarily, though, they could use their weapons. There was a gunshot. Help was on it's way, but it came too late. We later found out that there was a jamming device that jammed the security system, and it was lucky that the system underwent an automatic re-boot. But it was too late, Gram-Gram was shot in both knees, and needed medical help. They caught the kidnappers, and they're in prison now.

Gram-Gram was never the same afterwards, her kneecaps were shattered, and she had to use a wheelchair. She also wanted to move to the countryside. Grandpa built Nam Villa for her, and he would visit as often as he could, and he usually brought me to see her. She never blamed anyone, and she's the bravest woman I have ever known. 

I don't really remember the incident, just some flashes of yelling, and people told me the rest of the story.

7 years ago, she had a and passed away in her sleep. She wanted to be buried here because she loves it so much.

I guess I always visit her around this time, because usually, Grandpa would be working but I was free, and I didn't want her to get lonely. '

 

Woohyun had finally finished, but tears trickled down his face. Soomin felt her anger against the boy disappear, and was replaced by deepm sympathy. With slightly trembling hands, she gently wiped the tears away with her thumbs, and then gave him a hug.

 

'I'm truly sorry to hear about your Gram-Gram. I can call her that right?' asked Soomin.

 

Woohyun nodded, before putting his arms around Soomin, and burying his face in her hair and letting his tears fall. He was surprised at Soomin's actions, because he thought he had made her angry, but she was so forgiving. And fragile. Woohyun had never actually realised that Soomin's body was so thin and delicate. He couldn't help but imagine what Minah's reaction would be like, and he knew that it wouldn't be as nice as this. Minah would probably ooh and ahh but she would yawn all through the story then probably interrupt him. 

 

What are you doing to me, Jung Soomin? I am falling for you even though I am trying my utmost not to?

 

Two things were certain though as the couple  knelt in front of Grandma Nam's grave that afternoon: Woohyun was starting to open his heart to Soomin, and they had finally shared their first hug together.