Bonne nuit: Good night

Secret till the end

That day went as planned; I completely took notice of his presence (as always) yet ending up as an outcast that day. The sun shone as if there was 'no day like this', which was true: I've had a day like that, miserable, alone and resented. Sounds quite like a picture that I had fell acquaintance with on my way home. Yet enduringly spectacular; the image contained a saddening picture, which had only made me feel worst.

The following night, I walked past the street. Having past it once before, I would have thought that somebody had picked it up by now. To my surprise, the painting was just sitting there; at the same spot like no one has touched it. I smirked as I found interest in such a dark painting, which would have never come to mind before.

Finding myself holding this painting, I didn't know whether 'stealing' was the word or 'rescuing the abandoned' would be a better phrase, the painting found it on my bedroom wall.

***

While rummaging through my phone and securing no massive news, I heard a loud thud on my window. Taking no notice of it, thinking that it was the strong winds of the night, I continued spending my free time on looking through twitter posts.

Suddenly a large thump pulled me up from my bed, making me reconsider whether it was just the wind. The adrenaline of my heart accelerated as I felt someone's presence. Furthermore I was left by myself, my mother is at work and my father ought to have come late every Friday: so I was alone. The thought of it being a ghost or some kind of demon never crossed my mind. Other than that I was more paranoid about someone getting in.

The thud gradually grew to a knock. Having the sense that burglars wouldn't knock, the pace of my heart still increased bit by bit as I walked slowly to the window. I kept denying the fact that it could be something out of the ordinary but as I approached the sound, I began to doubt myself more and more.

"Hello?" I called, expecting no response but just making them aware that there is someone in here.

Silence.

Knock, Knock, Knock. The continuous 'knocks' felt more intentional now. My thinking of a gust of wind turned into something else. I clutched my hand into a fist, getting prepared to fight off my fear and take courage to look.

I held the curtain ready for anything yet my wrist couldn't stop shaking. My heart rate increased unbelievably fast within on a few seconds. All the movies and scary stories came at me all at once, as tried to imagine what could be the logical theory. Whether this was a test of courage no one can hide the fact that there might be a possibility that I'd be in danger. 

My eyes flickered as I slowly opened the window. My hands shaking; my eyes kept shut for I didn't want to look or see what was there. Looking directly straight, nothing stood or popped out but as my eyes drifted down I saw a figure half standing on the tree– that laid close to our house– while the their hands leaned on the house wall. 

The vulnerability of the way it stood really changed how my perspective of the man while opening the window. His position was unstable so I thought it would be safe to open it, if he did move he'd probably fall instantly. The guy didn't look up as he was realising that the wind had become stronger; he wasn't going to keep his balance anytime soon. 

"Ermm... excuse me?" (I know, stupid right?) I was no longer scared yet more worried that a dead body would be found in our lawn. Whether it was attempt breaking or just plain stupidity, I was sure that I was no longer in danger. 

The man immediately looked up then suddenly lost his balance. My hand held out to him as a simple reflex and the man caught it like he trusted me. I started fellow with the distinct features and named him, "Mark?" 

"Hi." as if he entrance wasn't enough already.

"What are you-" 

"As you can see," he said with more a panic in his voice, "I'm about to fall... so I don't that's the time to answer your question." He looked down. My house was two storeys high and there's a high likely chance that he'd... probably... most likely break a bone or two. "Are you strong?" 

"Well I'm still holding you up aren't I?" he looked at me seriously, which made me hesitant to say, "not sure... the worst thing scenario is that my arms would fall off" 

"I don't think I'm heavy; I'm pretty sure that a small girl could carry me" I looked at him lifting my eyebrows. 

"Well I'm not a 'small girl' am I" I tilted my head with a smug smile.

"Ha-Ha. funny" he smiled sarcastically. "No seriously, can you help me up?" 

"Give me your hand!" 

"Your holding it!" he grinned lifting one eyebrows.

"Really?" I was offering to help him but he ended it as a joke. "Fine I wont help." I tried to let him slip only a little just for a joke but I guess a little was too much. "Wait hold on!" I securely used both of my hands to grip his. Then I pulled him up without saying a word, for the guilt of even thinking about letting go, was embed within my mind. 

He tried to get his breath back– probably by the shock and horror I had caused him. Therefore I decided not to talk;  there was nothing I could say to him. I had probably done more than enough. "Were you really going to let go?" he glared darkly in anger. 

"No-" I was interrupted by the door bell. There was a ninety-nine percent chance that it was my dad. And if it was I either going to be accused for keep a guy in my room or grounded forever. I turned to the window, hoping that it was someone else. Fortunately it was.  

"Jong-in!" A bright cheerful voice called to the person (nickname 'Kai' yet I feel more comfortable calling him by his real name). Just then I had remembered that I'd texted him that I was hearing noises and figured that's why he came to the house.

"Noona. Are you alright?" he said looking concerned.

"Who's he?" Mark questioned, maybe still irritated yet the face expression is not like the last one. 

"None of your business." I whispered. I smiled to Jong-in "It was just the wind. You didn't have to come you know"

"I just thought that I'd check up just in case." he smiled in relief.

"Aww he's so sweet." I mumbled.

"What did you say?" I suddenly remembered that Mark was there sitting beside me.  

"Okay then, take care. Bye noona~" he waved adorably. 

"Bye~~" memorized by the cuteness of our next door neighbor. 

"Okay, What was that? Who was that? And what the hell is with that expression?" I had completely ignored him and instead watched the young brotherly like boy leave the house.