Late

Secret till the end

My eye fluttered not knowing of what to say or do. "I've got to go,"  I pushed away, not wanting him to get involved. A look of grief was seen on him as I gradually started to finally walk away. I needn't not care about why or where he was going– knowing that it wasn't last time I was going to see him.

***

With barely any time to spare, I came out the house: wearing only socks for my shoes remained in my hands; my shirt not fully buttoned;  a half-eaten bacon sandwich, sandwiched by my mouth; and hair that didn't have time to be brushed. I hurried to the front gate, instantly shutting it behind me; I was still conscious that I didn't have any shoes on. Although it would've been a simple task to put them on earlier, I was clearly at a situation where my schedule was ruined, to which I had never come across for a long time. This might sound quite absurd, but I preferred to have been early than late– maybe it's because I'm time-conscious like that, being late stresses me out.

Sitting on the ground, I slipped on my shoes, then grabbed the sandwich off my mouth (which I didn't have time to finish). Still orally stable, I found my balance and stood up. While in doing so, I was completely oblivious of some ones presence. Leaning on the wall, observing my every movement. 

"Having fun there?" I turned my head and came across an unwelcomed guest grinning, while he looked at me up and down, looking presumable impressed. "That was quick" 

"You're here because?" I brushed my hair away from my face. 

"Well... before I say anything" he titled his head slightly away and coughed. There was something about the tone of his voice that made me feel suspicious.

"What? spit it out!" 

"How do I say this?" he prevented eye contact, "......err..... when you came out, did you ever think of making yourself presentable for your boyfriend?" Even if he didn't intend to make it sound like that; the sentence sounded a bit a vain, which only annoyed me even more. To talk about being presentable to someone who never fails to keep everything about her presence perfect, was a big mistake. The fact that it was out of context, defined his whole personality. 

"Excuse me, There is no reason for making myself any more presentable just because you tell me that I am not at your standard. You should've thought of that before giving me the position of your 'girlfriend' " I waffled on, without hesitation. He looked like he was about to say something but it only made me want to interrupt every time.

"So you're telling me that you would dress like this all the time?" he finally got a word out.

"Yes. Yes I would," I sniggered, "got a problem with that?" 

Immediately after that, his mouth turned into a mischievous smile like he was amused of what I had said. "I wasn't planning to say this directly but I guess you wont figure it out anytime soon." he cleared his throat, "Your shirt is ed." 

My eyes and mouth wide open, I looked down and before you knew it a scream was heard throughout the whole neighborhood. My hand covered my body, eyeing him intensely. I twisted around to button my white shirt, beneath it a white vest, which was fortunately covered my bra. Out of my control, I bright bra which was seen through the vest.

Since I still had my sandwich on my other hand, I struggled to button it up with one hand. Embarrassed to even look at him, I tried to at least button one, despite the effort it wouldn't work. So I ended up asking for assistance, "Erm.... Mark?"  I didn't like that way his eyes lit up when I said his name. "Can you hold this sandwich?" 

"Sure" I handed him it. 

After that, I managed to fix myself up and tidied everything else up; I brushed off some dust that was still partially visual, just incase there was another mishaps. Looking forward to my breakfast, I was at mid-sentence of thanking him when I noticed that there was nothing on his hands. I searched with my eyes to where it might possibly be. Nonetheless, It came to my amazement that this boy rudely, without my permission, ate my sandwich. My sandwich! The only thing that could've filled a tiny part of my stomach. "YA!! What the hell did you do to my sandwich?!"

"What do you think?" I eyed him with exasperation. "I thought you were giving it to me" 

"Did I say anything about eating it!" I screamed. 

"I didn't-" 

"Don't talk to me!" I ran forward, realising that I was late as well as hungry. 

***

I sped forward, without looking back and I was pretty sure I ran at least a mile, since I couldn't feel Mark's presence. Three quarters away to school, I began to feel irritated and moody. My mind was set  on how big of a jerk Mark was. I guess that's the side-effect of having no breakfast. As they say: 'Breakfast is the most important meal'. 

A short while later, fast-paced footsteps were heard coming towards me and the expectance of a food ambulance arriving were highly low. The appearance of the young fellow, who brought me living nightmares, finally came about.

"Hey, stop for a minute!" I ignored him and ran faster. My soul was committed but my body had began to slowly fail me. "Aren't you tired?" 

He pulled me back, although I wanted to go forward my body was wanting to hold back. Therefore he held me back; I didn't have the strength to resist so I instantly fell back unexpectedly. I fell onto his warm arms, breathing heavily– consequences of running. With my eyes shut and to guaranteed that I was alive I said, "I'm alive but I feel like I'm gonna die." 

I felt a bottle handed on to my hand. At the situation, I didn't look at what was given to me and simply drank it. Providently, he actually gave me something that didn't poison me, nor did I hate. Water. Everyone loves water including me. Managing to finish the whole bottle with one sip, I recalled requesting for more.

"I think it would be best to walk." Mark suggested.

"Agreed"

***

He repaid the sandwich that he had lost; also buying other extra things. I started at the plastic bag full of food, then looked at him. "You looked hungry." he shrugged shamelessly.

"Don't take pity on me" I took a big gulp of the water.

"You don't want it." his eyebrow lifted, "fine" 

"I didn't say that..." 

We walked down the streets, while I solely ate to gain my energy back. Meanwhile, Mark stayed quiet and didn't even touch the food. I felt guilty for robbing the food he bought, never mind eating them. Although, I did wonder why he bought all that stuff, when he wasn't even going to touch it.

Minutes later, we were nearly at the street where we met the night before. The sight of last night came back to me and I wanted to tell him not to mention it to anyone, "Last night-" his phone rang, interrupting me. A sudden change on his face lead to him vigorously dragging me closer to him and hiding behind a wall. It seemed like he knew that there was someone coming. "What are you doing?" I whispered, feeling that I had to be quiet. Shushing me, I did the total opposite and shoved and pushed him away. I figured that there was no reason for me to be quiet, when I didn't know what was going on. And instead of escaping he held me closer, while keeping a look out for something or someone. 

I eventually gave in and stopped struggling. I heard his heart beat at a natural pace, meaning that he wasn't alarmed at all. Then I wanted to know what he was really doing. Knowing that I wouldn't get it by simply asking him, I tried another method. "I know what your doing." 

"No you don't." 

"I figured it out, for sure." I tried to sound realistic but it clearly fail. Luckily I was the only one who noticed.

"How could you have figured out that Jackson is coming?" 

"Why are we hiding from Jackson?"

" 'cause when he finds you, he'll definitely take you." I was astonished by what Mark said. 

"What did you say?" He shushed me again, not realising what he said. I could smell his scent from only centimeters apart and I know this sounds farfetched but it kind of smelt nice. I peculiar feeling hit me all of a sudden and i had no clue what it was.

Distracted by the person who hasn't arrived, I glared at him with the notion that he was crazy and weird. Totally and completely mad yet I couldn't help but smile.What has gotten into me?

 


A/N: Sorry i didn't get to update last week. Btw I'm trying to update weekly (currently been updating at Saturdays- Sundays but not sure yet). Thanks you for subscribing subscribers and also thanks for the comments.