06

I'm Yours

The following days after the rumor of him and the campus' so-called princess having some sort of a relationship slowly died down. Students still mock him like always but it was better than the other days. He just continued to act like normal, ignoring them and going on with his daily life. Came with it was Chaeyeon's usual absence in their table during break. Things were getting better for him, at least somehow, and he should be happy. Really happy. But that wasn't exactly the case.

After everything about them seemed to seized down came another rumor. It had been more apparent to the student body how one of the best dancers of their university and their princess looked really close. He shouldn't even concern himself with it but he can't help but be annoyed. Like usual.

"Yah, Baek," Tao called and Baekhyun hummed in reply, his eyes focused at the distance. Tao looked at where his best friend was looking and found Chaeyeon standing with Yixing at the other side of the corridor. Tao smirked, taking the chance to tease Baekhyun as he said, "Don't they look good together?" He received no reply as Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at him.

"Do I look like I care?"

"I don't know. Do you?" Tao innocently smiled and Baekhyun rolled his eyes before looking away.

"I feel bad for the guy." Baekhyun finally muttered and Tao's confusion was evident on his face. 

"And why so? He's like the luckiest guy here." 

"Chaeyeon's obviously not into him. It's her game, don't you get it?" Baekhyun said and Tao almost scoffed at how Baekhyun sounded.

"You sound as if you know her so much, Baekhyun." That almost caught him off-guard but he regained his composure immediately before shrugging.

"I don't. I could just see it. And eyes don't lie." He grabbed his books from his locker, slammed it close and walked away. Tao watched him, an amused smile on his face.

"Eyes really don't lie." He smirked. "Yah, Baek, wait for me!" He called before running after him.

 

 

The day went by uneventful for him and he was thankful because if his day turned out to be something eventful, then it wouldn't be a normal day for him. Checking his watch, he inwardly groan at how time moves so slow. He already wanted to get out of the room.

A few minutes later, the bell rang and he couldn't be more happy. Tao who noticed it swivelled his chair to face him and smirked. "Excited to get out...or to see her?" Baekhyun glared his way and he raised both his hands with a smirk. "I'm just joking. Geez, you get so affected easily."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "I'll go first. I still need to go practice," he simply answered while stuffing his things inside his bag.

"Music room or home?" Tao asked in thought. Baekhyun knew very well the answer because no way on earth will he practice at home knowing someone else would be there.

"Music room." He slung his bag over his shoulders. "Catch ya' later." He patted Tao on the shoulder before walking out the room. As he watched his friend go, he shook his head before grabbing his bag and standing up.

"Music room... More like the old music room." With an amused smile, he left the room.

 

 

It had been an hour since he began his practice but he was still struggling from hitting the correct notes. He also kept on pressing the wrong key on the grand piano, making him more frustrated than he already was. He had played the song for more than ten times, but he couldn't really be satisfied. He tried playing it once more and told himself that if he makes another wrong move, then he was really going to fail their presentation the next day.

Taking a deep breath, he placed his fingers on the keys and began playing. It started smoothly and he was already getting the mood of it, closing his eyes to feel the melody more when suddenly, an image flashed his mind, and just like that, everything got ruined. He slammed his fingers on the keys, creating an ear-piercing noise.

Groaning he leaned his head on the wall behind him. Images from that day's lunch invaded his mind. 

He was happy because Chaeyeon didn't join them for lunch that day but when he saw her together with Yixing at the school's field through the cafeteria's window, agitation hit him. Jongdae wasn't helping too, since he just kept on pointing out that Yixing is sure courting Chaeyeon. He doesn't even know why he started to care about it, or why he should even react at all. All he knows is that Yixing is sure picking the wrong girl. 

A knock on the door snapped him out of his thoughts and he turned his head to be met with his piano teacher, making him sit straight. He wasn't too old, just a few years older than him so they were quite comfortable with each other.  

"Seonsaengnim," he said, bowing a little. His teacher, Mr. Kim, smiled and nodded. 

"Practicing for tomorrow?" He asked and Baekhyun nodded with a small smile. He chukled. "I've been hearing ear-splitting keys a while ago. I didn't know it was you." Baekhyun bit his lower lip in embarrassment.

"Sorry, sir. I was...just having quite a hard time concentrating," he admitted and Mr. Kim jut his lower lip out, nodding.

"I can see that. Well, I have free time. What can I help you with?" Mr. Kim said, pressing a key on the piano as he wait for the boy's response. Not hearing a reply, he tilted his head towards the young boy, who was staring down on his lap, as if in hesitation. A knowing smile came to his lips before he snapped his fingers, startling Baekhyun who looked at him. "I think I know what you just need." 

"What do you mean I need?" Baekhyun asked and Mr. Kim mischievously smiled, making Baekhyun regret asking. Mr. Kim is pretty well known to be a romanticist, making some of the girl professors or students alike swoon whenever he plays the piano. At some point, he gets amazed of how he could grab their attention so fast. 

Mr. Kim started pacing in front of him and he weirdly followed him with his eyes. "What on earth is his problem?" He thought until the man before him stopped, leaning on the grand piano. Keeping on his straight face, he wait for him.

"You know my dear student, in performing, let's say, a song or a piece, you should be able to enjoy it for your audience to do so. In order to do that, you have to feel the song. Put your heart and soul into it. But when looking at you right now, I think you got that mastered. Meaning," he stalled, smiling. "I think you need more than that." Baekhyun's eyebrows were narrowed, trying to decipher where his professor was going, and when a playful smile reached his lips again, his stomach stirred.

"No, no, no, sonsaengnim."

His professor frowned. "But you know you need it. Wait, what are you performing for tomorrow, anyway?" He asked as he peeked at the music sheets laid in front of him. He grabbed it and read the title. "Farewell Review? Why, is she leaving?" Mr. Kim arched his eyebrow and he almost groaned.

"No." He only realized what he said when Mr. Kim grinned.

"Then there's someone?"

"WHAT?! NO! It's not what I mean. No as in no one's leaving, and no, I'm not singing for anybody," he said and Mr. Kim chuckled making him take a deep breath.

"Okay, if you say so. Well, I think that's the problem then," his professor said, tapping the sheets of paper on the top surface of the piano. Baekhyun fought the urge to raise an eyebrow at him. "Here's a little advice. When you sing, it could help a lot when you have someone you're singing to. In that way, you would be able to feel the music more." He winked. Baekhyun just didn't say anything, knowing that his professor wouldn't even listen to what he was to say, and the point that he doesn't know what to say as well, made him keep quiet. "Anyhow, I think you'll have it under control from here. I'll go ahead, and good luck for tomorrow. I'm expecting your performance, haksaeng," he smiled before inserting his hands inside his pockets and strolled out the room.

He doesn't even know if that helped him in anyway than to make him more nervous with what he said last. A loud sigh escaped his lips as he gathered his papers and set it in front of him. He can't help but think back to what his professor said. "Sing for someone?" At that moment, he felt his phone vibrating against his pockets and he got it out to see a message from Jongdae.

"Hey bro. Where are you? I just saw Chaeyeon at a cafe with Yixing. Nothing. Just saying. ;)"

Rolling his eyes, he threw his phone to his bag. "Whatever. Forget it," he muttered. He took a deep breath and put his fingers on the top of the paino keys. "Just do how you always do. You can do it Byun Baekhyun. You can do it. Hwaiting." With that said, his fingers began dancing on the piano keys, putting his full focus on practicing, throwing away all the thoughts, especially anything related to her.

The sun had already set when he got out of the Music Department. He checked his wrist watch and saw it flashing the numbers six-twenty. He had to get home before his mother gets home and looks for him. As he passed by the nearest cafe in their university, his curiosity got the best of him as he remembered what Jongdae just message him an little less than an hour earlier. He looked in and scanned the place with his eyes but when he saw that there's no one familiar to him, he rolled his eyes.

"That Kim Jongdae. He'll sure receive it tomorrow."

 

 

When he got home, he slipped out of his shoes. He entered the empty living room and wondered where everyone was when he heard soft laughters from the dining area. His eyebrows knitting in the middle, he walked to the room and saw his mom with Chaeyeon eating together.

"Oh, Baekhyun, you're home." His mom sweetly smiled and Chaeyeon looked back to him. Avoiding her gaze, he nodded. "Come and eat dinner. I brought some dishes from the restaurant." 

Reluctantly, he sat on his seat and began eating. Even if he could've just skipped it and eat later, he was already hungry. He haven't gotten anything since lunch. For some odd reason, what Mr. Kim told him earlier that afternoon ring in his head but he quickly shook the thought away, deeming it unimportant. He was able to sing and play his piece nicely although not to satisfaction before he went home, he thought that he could just go practice later before going to sleep. He also concluded that the reason why he couldn't concentrate was because he was too nervous.

"A month had already gone by?" His mom said in shock and he curiously looked at her.

"Yes, why?" He said. "Is there something important coming?" From his peripheral, he saw Chaeyeon looking down on her food and he can't help but to wonder what's up with them both.

"In a little less than three months the semester is ending, isn't it?" His mother asked and slowly he nodded. "Then Chaeyeon would be leaving soon." His mother said sadly and that's when he remembered what his mother said to him the first she arrived.

He tilted his head to look at Chaeyeon and she had a small smile on her face as she faced his mother. He doesn't know if that smile was a happy one or a sad one, but he thought that it was something in between. He got himself staring more than needed and he immediately turned his head away. It doesn't even matter. It was good that she was leaving soon. After dinner, he went straight to his room and closed the door behind him, as he started to change out of clothes to something new.

"Wow. So she's leaving. Great," he muttered. He then remembered his friends who grew fond of her and then Yixing. The boy who was rumored she was dating. "Is she really leaving Yixing? Poor guy." But as the thought immerge in his head, a small smile reached his lips before he even realized it.


A/N:

HI HI HI!!!

How are you my friends? (I hope you don't mind me calling you that ^^) I'm sorry for it took me quite a while to update. I was having a little writer's block. It was really annoying, I tell. Ugh. But yeah, I was able to make up my mind and decided to post this. I'm sorry for the crappy chapter. I'll make up for it on the upcoming chapters. 

What do you think so far? LOLOLOLOL. Our Baekhyun is too oblivious, or maybe not? Kidding. :))

Thank you for reading! Comment? :)