Infatuation

Unexpected

Khun's POV

It's been a week already. I haven't heard anything from her. Day after we arrived from Jeju she immediately left for Singapore. She won't answer any of my messages may it be through SNS, e-mail, text. She won't answer my phone calls as well. 

One week ago....

"This is just infatuation Khun, we have been spending too much time together that's why we're feeling this way. Let's have a clean slate ok?" She explained, trying to avoid my gaze.

"But, I am willing to give this a try. I am at my happiest when I'm with you. I can call off the wedding just to prove to you that this is more than just infatuation." I replied in a desperate tone.

"Listen to me Khun, This...I mean you and me, this is not right. I'm sorry if my actions gave you the wrong signals. I didn't mean to lead you on. It's all part of what I need to do to help you." She continued, while her eyes remained glued on the coffee that she was drinking. 

"Are you telling me that you don't feel anything towards me. That this is all because of work and friendship?" I asked reaching out to one of her hand. She didn't answer instead she moved her hand away from mine. 

She remained quiet for a moment and said "Khun, you have to focus on what your family has planned for you. Going against their will is going to make the situation a lot worst than it already is. Promise i'll always be here to support you." she smiled at me weakly.

She's right, I may be taking these things far too seriously, I should get back on track. Taking a deep breath "Promise me that we'll remain friends?" I asked offering her my pinky finger. I don't even know how I managed to ask her that, but I won't risk losing her even as a friend.

"Of course." she laughed and then looked straight into my eyes. "I really wish you happiness Khun, thank you for giving me one of the most memorable weekends in my life. I will never forget this." she swallowed hard before giving me a soft kiss on my cheek. "See you soon." she then took her leave.

"Khun, khun" a voice called out from behind me

"Oh, Sofia. What's up?" I asked standing up from my chair and greeting her with a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Are you back to your Mr. Spaced Out self? You've been like these for days now." she asked looking annoyed.

"There are things that I really can't change." I replied

"No Khun, If there is one person who knows you very well other than your mom that would be me." Sofia snapped back at me. "Are you falling in love with my friend?" she asked.

I was taken aback by her question. I cleared my throat "What are you talking about? I answered , then I went back to my seat. "Please leave her out of this." I continued on trying my best not to sound over protective.

"Khun you can't fall in love with her....You know very well." Sofia was about to say more when I cut her off.

"Yes I do. I know very well the things I have to do for this family. Even if it costs me my own life and happiness. Don't worry I remember that clearly, so if you'll excuse me." I stood up and started for the door. As I went past Sofia..

"We will be leaving for London in 3 days. Sara will have a graduation ball and you will be her ." she said in a flat tone.

I stopped and replied without looking at her "I see. Well, just have my secretary list down all the things you want me to do and I'll comply." I went out of the room, letting out a deep sigh as I closed the door. I felt like screaming. Why am I letting them do this to me...to my life. Is this all worth it? I asked myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why are we staying here in Singapore for 2 more days? We have so much work to do in Korea." Anne, my good friend and assistant asked in a sarcastic tone.

"I just want to relax." I replied, trying to keep my answers short.

"Relax?! Or you're trying to avoid someone?" she asked in a doubtful tone.

"Oh C'mon Anne, cut me some slack, I haven't been able to rest for a while now." I rebutted.

"I know you too well, so please spare me the drama. And since you refuse to check your mails and you asked me to do it for you, I checked it for you and saw how much mail Khun has already sent you. He's in Paris you know, so no need for us to stay here." Anne said keeping her eyes on me waiting for my reaction.

"Really, that's cool! they get to meet much earlier than scheduled. I think that's really great." I replied, trying my best to act casual about it.

"Yeah, I think so too, so by now he already knows if it's only infatuation or not." Anne laughed "I can't believe you guys actually thought you can fool yourselves by using that word just to describe how you both feel for each other. What are you? high school students?" she rolled her eyes.

With what Anne told me, I looked at my Line and saw the huge amount of notification that I have. Khun has been sending me messages every single day. Telling me what he's doing. How lonely he felt. How he missed me. He even sent pictures and the last was the pic he took when he arrived in Paris with message: The day when I get to prove to you, that my heart is yours...

Tears started to roll down my cheeks. I cannot help it anymore. I feel exactly the same way as Khun. I never thought I will ever trust my heart again to another man, but he stood out among everyone that came into my life. Even in just the short span of time that we have been together, he has proved that any amount of time spent with the person you love is worth a lifetime of happiness. But I shouldn't be selfish. If I do love him, I can't ruin his future especially his relationship with his family. Giving up on our love is for the best. It's for Khun's best....But shouldn't I at least tell him how I truly feel for him too? I was asking myself.

Then a message came. From Sofia: "My dear, you are invited to attend my birthday party next weekend. I personally want to thank you for all the help you have given Khun and my family. We will also be doing the special announcement of their engagement on that day, so it would be awesome if you can come. Here is the beautiful couple." She sent a picture of Khun and his lovely fiancee smiling happily "They make a great couple!" the message read on.

"There goes the answer to my question." I whispered, letting out a heavy sigh of defeat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Khun's POV

"Smile" Sofia said as she snapped a picture of me and Sara. "Oh My god, you guys really look great together." Sofia beamed without looking at us, as she was busy typing something on her phone.

"I'm sorry, Sofia tends to be over-acting at times." I whispered, making sure Sofia won't hear me.

She giggled "It's alright, both our families I think are far more excited than us to be quite honest." Sara said.

We all sat and ate together, in a table we were with her parents, my grandfather, Sofia and some of our close relatives. Sofia was giving me an eye signal somewhat asking me to offer food to Sara. I was just too out of the loop that I blurted out her name instead of Sara's.

"Excuse me? who's name is that?" Sara's Dad asked narrowing his eyes.

Sofia turned bright red and immediately came to my rescue. " Oh that's the name of his consultant, they have been preparing a lot for Khun and Sara's meeting so maybe he just got used to having her around. Right Khun?" Sofia's eyes were boaring at me seeking for acknowledgement.

"Yes she's right. I apologize Sara, she's like my assistant, my alter ego. Haha!" I let out an awkard laugh to make my excuse sound at least a little convincing. Not sure if they bought it, but I couldn't care much. Sara looked at how bored I was with all the business talk that they were having.

"Would you like to take a breather?" Sara asked, ushering me towards the terrace. I nodded in reply.

We went out of the ballroom and was greeted by the evening breeze. "Finally!" I exclaimed, as I inhaled deeply, enjoying the fresh air.

"Hahaha, I knew you'd like this. You were so uptight all evening. Sorry if all this is making you feel uncomfortable." She said giving me an apologetic smile.

"Please don't say that, I should be the one to apologize for being ummmmm boring." I replied with a weak smile.

She looked at the sky and said "She seem very special to you. She's really lucky" I got shocked with what she just said. I knew for sure who she was referring to, but with the way she said, it seem like she knew about us all along. Sara turned her gaze at me and continued. "I know a lot of things about you Khun. Since you are to be my future husband, I think I have the right to at least know what kind of person I'm marrying right?"

I got disoriented with everything she said. I don't know how to feel at this very moment. Seem like everything about me is an open book even to people that I don't know well. I guess it's all part of the bargain, face it Khun, you're not the owner of your life.  I just stood there in silence unable to reply, afraid that whatever I say, I might end up regretting it for the rest of my life.

"Khun, I'm sorry if you feel that I have invaded your privacy. I just wanted to be fair to you too. I must admit that I am also not very happy with this fixed marriage, that's why I had to see you how you are accepting all these on your end." Sara said thoughtfully.

I looked at her, gathering all my strength to respond with everything that has been already said "Yes Sara, she is very special to me. And now after meeting you, I have proven that I do love her dearly, that she's the one who holds my heart. I am sorry to be saying all these to you, but I dunno how we can go on with everything that our family has planned for us if I am not even worth marrying? If I love someone else." I explained sincerely.

She looked at me for a few seconds, giving everything a thought, then a wide grin suddenly spread across her face as she said "Great, then that makes the 2 of us. I'm really glad." she beamed.

I was so confused that I had to ask "I'm sorry what? You lost me there for a moment." I asked.

"What I'm saying is both of us is in the same situation." she said leaning forward towards my ear and whispered "I am also in love with someone else, I have a boyfriend." My jaw dropped in astonishment with what I just heard.