My Daddy's Lover Is A Troublemaker - Chapter 6

My Daddy's Lover Is A Troublemaker

The man glanced at the clock on the wall.  He did not realise how late it was.  While stretching, his stomach grumbled, reminding him that he had not had dinner yet.  Putting down his pen, he made his way to the kitchen only to find his fridge and cupboards empty.  He frowned, unable to remember the last time he did the grocery shopping.  He was only glad that Ren was not home or he would be starving too.

He headed to the front door, wondering if there were any places still open at this time of the night.  Just as he opened the door, he was greeted with the sight of the pouring rain.  He contemplated if it was worth all the trouble but then his stomach grumbled.  He grabbed an umbrella and headed out.

Holding the umbrella over his head, he walked briskly under the pouring rain.  He seemed relieved when he saw the convenience store up ahead.  He hurried his pace and noticed a figure standing outside the entrance of the store with a duffle bag over his shoulder.  He figured that the figure was just taking shelter from the rain.  Upon approaching closer, he caught sight of the figure's face and was surprised when he recognised him.

He tried to avoid the young man but it seemed the young man was too busy talking on the phone to notice him.  He breathed a sigh of relief and quickly walked inside the store.  As he passed the young man, he overheard the conversation but continued inside.

After paying for the bag of food he had just bought, he headed for the exit.  He glanced outside where the young man had been standing but he did not see him.  He did not think much of it until he stepped outside and saw that the young man was still outside the store.  The young man was no longer talking on the phone but now he was crouching on the ground with his head lowered.

He thought it was best not to get involve with this young man.  He opened up his umbrella and started walking down the street.


The young man sighed in despair.  It was just his luck to be kicked out of his apartment on a rainy night.  Just as he wondered what to do, he noticed a presence beside him.  He saw a pair of slippers beside him and raised his head to see who was stupid enough to be wearing slippers in the rain.  A smile appeared on his lips when he saw the man's face.  Who else could it be?

"We meet again," said the young man with his usual cheerful tone.

The man just looked at him with a stoic expression.

The young man frowned, wondering why the man was staring at him.  "Can I help you with something?"

"If you have nowhere else to go," said the man.  "You can stay at my place."

The young man was surprised to hear the older man's words.  He figured that the man must have overheard his conversation before.  He looked at the older man, not knowing how to respond.  He was grateful that the older man had offered him a place to stay but they were strangers after all.  Why would someone be willing to let a stranger into their home?

The man saw the hesitation in the young man's face.  "It's okay if you don't want to," he said and turned to walk away.

Seeing the older man walk away, the young man stood up and ran after him.  "Hey, wait!"

The man stood where he was and waited for the young man to catch up.

The young man stood under the rain and looked at the older man.  "I...won't your wife mind?"

"My wife?" the man said with a puzzled look upon his face.

"I saw her take your son to the day care centre this morning," said the young man.  "I just happened to walk by that's all."

"That woman isn't my wife," informed the man.  "Now, come on.  I'm hungry."

The man started to walk ahead with the young man following him.  He came to an abrupt stopped which almost caused the young man to bump into his back.  The man turned around to face the young man who had a worried look, wondering if the man had changed his mind.

"Come closer," said the man.  "I don't have time to look after you if you get sick."

The young man smiled and walked up beside the man, who moved the umbrella over both their heads.