My Daddy's Lover Is A Troublemaker - Chapter 16

My Daddy's Lover Is A Troublemaker

The boss of a financial group, along with his people were murdered in their building.  Police have no suspect.

A brief smiled appeared on Woohyun's lips when his eyes scanned the front page news the next morning.  He folded up the newspaper and tossed it into a bin before heading for the room down the corridor.  That was one thing he would never have to worry about ever again.


Sunggyu slowly opened his eyes and smiled weakly when he saw the face staring back at him.  Seeing the man awake, Woohyun's face lit up with tears of joy.  He immediately leaned down to embrace the older man.

"I'm so sorry," Woohyun apologised.  "Because of me, you-"

Sunggyu raised his hand to touch the side of Woohyun's face.  "It's not your fault," he told the younger man.  "What good am I if I can't even protect the one I love?"

"Please don't ever do something so foolish again," Woohyun pleaded.  "I'm not worth it."

"You're worth more than the world to me," Sunggyu replied.  "Did they hurt you?"

Woohyun shook his head.

"They didn't look like decent people," said Sunggyu.  "What did they want with you?  Are you in some kind of trouble?"

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu and contemplated a moment.  "My father was a compulsive gambler," Woohyun began.  "To support his habit, he would borrow money from these lenders.  He owed them so much that there was no way he could pay them back.  In the end, he chose the easy way out and jumped off a building.  They eventually came looking for me."

Sunggyu looked at the Woohyun who was trying to put on a brave face.  "Why didn't you tell me?" Sunggyu asked.

"It's my problem, not yours," replied Woohyun.  "But, it doesn't matter anymore."

Before Sunggyu could ask what Woohyun meant by that, the door to his room opened and in walked Ren and the woman.  Ren's eyes lit up when he saw his father awake while the woman seemed relieved.

"Daddy, did you have a good sleep?" Ren asked.

"You know, I'm starting to think that you've forgotten that I'm your editor," reminded the woman.  "These days I feel like your personal nanny."

Sunggyu looked at the woman and smiled at her remark.  "Thanks for looking after him.

"Just make sure you get better for the book signing," she replied.


Standing outside the door of the hospital room, a figure turned and walked away.  He took out as phone and dialled a number.  "I've got eyes on him," he informed.  "I doubt he can escape this time."  


Carrying a basket of fruit, Sungjong entered the hospital when he caught sight of a familiar figure walking out.  "Sungyeol, what are you doing here?" he asked, surprised to see his assistant.

Sungyeol quickly ended the call when he saw Sungjong.  "I was just..." he struggled to come up with an excuse.  "What about you?"

"Thought I'd come to visit Ren's father," replied Sungjong.

"Oh I was going to too but he's got people with him so I didn't want to interrupt," said Sungyeol.  "I'll visit him some other time.  Catch you later."

Sungjong thought it strange that his lazy assistant would want to visit anyone, let alone a parent he had hardly knew.  Before Sungjong could ask any further, Sungyeol quickly took off.