Assumptions and Calculations

Where are You?

TOP couldn't concentrate, he had both hands on the wheel of his car and both eyes on the road, but his mind was all over the place. He had instructed his men not to follow him as he took Dara into his car and also not to mention the events that took place earlier that night to ANYBODY.

He didn't know what he was doing, and he sure as hell didn't know where he was taking her. He contemplated whether he should ask her what exactly was going on with her life, but decided to keep quiet. So, for the past hour that they had been on the road, the car was filled with silence. None of them minded though, since the both of them were converged in their own thoughts.

He felt his phone vibrate from his pocket and slowed down a bit as he reached for it, he knew his phone would ring sooner or later, and he knew exactly what he had to say to the person on the receiving end.

"Yeah." He answered.

"Anything new yet?"

"Checked out the motel she was last spotted at, she left hours before I went over."

"What's your next move?" He heard his friend ask.

"I got my men spread out all over the city," he said, " sooner or later she's gonna show up somewhere."
He heard the other line click signaling that Jiyong had hanged up. He didn't know whether his friend could sense the false information he had just been fed, or he was just too tired to hear about another failure.

"Thank you."

"Mm." He nodded as he kept his focus on the road. "Is it too early for me to know the reasons for all this?" He glanced over to her side to catch a glimpse of her image, "Never mind, you don't have to tell me anything."

"No, no, I think you deserve to know why you're doing this."

He heard her take a deep breath and exhaled shakily as she starts her story. He listened wholeheartedly as he drove, stealing side glances at her. He couldn't help but feel her pain, he wanted to ram his fists so hard into Kwon Jiyong's face for hurting such a delicate soul. As she neared the ending of her story, TOP noticed that she did not shed a single tear.

"You must think I'm lying, right?"
She said as she looked over to him. "Telling you all this without shedding a single tear, but I've cried too long hoping for a change, and now my tears are all dried up with no sign of hope to look forward to."

"I don't blame-" his phone went off again cutting him off from his reply. "Excuse me," he said as he grabbed his phone. "Yeah,"

"Hey, it's me, you got anything yet?"

"Not yet. I'm actually on the road, I'll call you back in a bit."

"Yeah, thanks man, I'll be waiting."

He hanged up and looked over at Dara, "That was Youngbae, if I didn't know any better, I would've thought HE was your husband. I mean he calls almost every three to four hours for an update!"

"Thats expectant of him," She smiled softly as she thought about the said man, "he was always trying to make up for Jiyong's mistakes."

TOP listened as Dara told him about the many times that Youngbae came to help her, his many confessions that she received, how he was always there after every incident comforting her.

"I knew I was pitiful in his eyes," he heard her say as he she continued her story. 

"Is that how you see it?" He asked. "Tell me, Dara, what is the difference between Love and Pity?"

She smiled a sad smile before finally continuing,
"Love, how could I possibly know what that is when I was hurting so bad, thinking I was in love?"

"Can I tell you something?" 

"What?"

"Love is blind." He said, "sometimes we get so caught up wishing and hoping for something that we can't have, that we forget to appreciate what we do have right in front of us."

"Are you implying...?"

"Yes, I am. I know you're going through a midlife crisis right now, and I'm not pressuring you into making any sudden decisions or anything, just promise you won't take too long. Give Bae a chance, maybe then you can finally tell me the difference between love and pity."

They spent the last four hours driving and talking before they finally made a stop. It was nearing midnight and Dara was hungry. Their first stop was at a 24hr Drive-inn, they ate and stretched their legs a bit before continuing on their way. Their second stop was not for another hour and it was at a super market.

"You wait in the car," he said.
"I'll just be a minute."

"Ok."

As she waited in the car, she thought back to what TOP had said earlier during their drive, she pieced together the pieces, letting her mind absorb it. 

"Was I that blind?" She half-whispered to herself. If TOP's assumptions were true, and if her calculations were correct she hope to God she wasn't too late.

"I'm back," she heard him say as he threw in a few bags into the back seat. 

"Why didn't you tell him I was with you?" She heard herself say instantly, she cupped her hands over as she realized her question. "I mean..."

"Wh- isn't that what you wanted?"

"Well, ye- I... I.. Wh-.." She was flustered, "Young-"

"Oh! I thought you meant.. He called again when I was in there I told him you were safe." He said, "I  told him he'll have to wait to see you though."

She didn't know where the sudden questioning came from, but she couldn't help her cheeks as they took on a whole new shade of pink.

"I knew you'd come around." He said, making her shade of pink completely red.

"Where are we headed anyways?" She decided to change the subject.

"I have a cabin a few miles out, you'll be staying there for a few days."

"By myself?" She asked.

"The caretakers live on the property too, within walking distance, and there's also a few cabins nearby." He explained, "I can stay with you tonight, but I gotta get back in town during the day. Here I got you a phone."
He said as he handed her a cell phone.

"My number is already in there along with Youngbae's."

"Mm." She nodded as she grabbed the phone out of his hands, "thank you Seunghyun, for everything."

They reached the cabin around 1:30 in the morning.  Seunghyun gave her a fast tour of the cabin, showing her the bathrooms, kitchen, and the guest room she can use. She didn't stick around to chat, she headed to bed right after she washed up.
For the first time in a long time, Dara finally went to bed feeling at peace.
Seunghyun on the other hand was still contemplating what to do. He couldn't hide her here forever.