Chapter 13

What was that?

 

Damn it! I was so carried away by her beautiful face and sweet smiles that I got caught staring at her. I immediately shift my eyes to the street outside. That is so embarrassing! Feels like I get caught red-handed while committing a serious crime. I pretended to not looking at her direction even though I see from the corner of my eyes that she’s actually looking at me now. I’m staring hardly on the signboard outside the shop when she finally came to me.  

  

“Hey Kim…”

“Yes Pie?” I look at her but avoiding her eyes because seriously my heart still beats so fast while I’m trying to sound calm.

“So, where are we going now?”

“I don’t know Pie. Do you have any place in mind?”

“Well, there is one place I really want to go but I don’t know if you will come with me or not.”

“Mind to tell me?” I turn my head to her and found her fidgeting her fingers. Cute!

“Ermm… Until what time you’re free Kim?”

“Uh… The whole day?”

“Good then! Let’s go to Bangkok Forensic Museum.” I can’t help myself smiling when seeing how cute she is clapping her hands like a small girl just got awarded. Hey wait!

“W-what? I-isn’t that t-the c-creepiest m-museum?”

“Yeah! Have you been there?” She looks at me and showing her worried look.

“N-no.”

“I always wanted to go there, please Kim?” Oh, how cute is her pout.

“Y-you sure?”

“Please? You’re not scared of it right?” Pie said while showing her puppy eyes. Gosh! I think I’m melting now. Arrrggghhhhh….

“W-what? N-no! Of course I’m not! O-okay then. Let’s go now.” ! I sighed at my own defeat.

 

Honestly I’m not so fond of visiting creepy places. I hate them because of the darkness and also the creepy feelings. I’ve heard about the place before and I knew they kept the preserved bodies in formaldehyde including babies and some human organs. Although I may look manly on the outside but still I’m a girl! Gossssshhhh! Why of all the interesting places in Bangkok, she want to visit that creepy place! I really feel want to throw up now even just thinking of it.

 

We took a bus to the Grand Palace. It’s about 30 minutes from where we were. Throughout the journey, both of us didn’t talk maybe because we’re still in awkward situation. Who won’t feel awkward when the only thing we know about each other is only the name and plus we’re sitting facing each other now. Out of nowhere, my mind keeps replaying the earlier scene. I really wonder with whom my Pie was talking to and why she seem so happy talking to that person.  I shoved it away and trying hard to focus my attention to the beautiful scenery outside. I remind myself that this is our date, so I better not spoil it.

 

From the Grand Palace, we took a boat ride at Chang Pier and disembark just across the river at Pranok Pier that costs only three baht. After that we walk to the Siriraj Hospital where the museums located. The hospital is actually on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. Upon arrival, I walked ahead of her and pay the entrance fees which are 40 baht for each of us. We both took the brochure next to the counter to guide us.

 

From the brochure, I learned that hospital actually features six distinct museums within two separate buildings that located inside the Siriraj Hospital. Of all the museums, there are three of them that seem to be of interest for those who are searching for something extremely unusual; obviously the creepiest ones. First, The Pathology and Forensic Museum, second is The Songkran Nyomsane Forensic Medicine Museum and lastly The Anatomical Museum.

 

We headed to The Pathology and Forensic Museum as Pie insists we go there firstly. Let me warn you, you will not believe what you may see in there. They are displaying the babies affected by genetic disorders, not just one but more than that and every each of it preserved in formaldehyde. Of course, to people like me, it’s kind of disturbing but lucky enough the room is very modern that they look unreal to remain stoic. Next to it is a room dedicated to all kinds of parasite, their origin and how they affect the human organs. The main attractions are the collections of incredibly long tape worms and a 35kg human testicle affected by elephantiasis. I blow a long and deep sigh after we went out of the room.

 

I thought that maybe the rest of the places are less creepy than the first because I can’t handle any of it again. But only to my dismay, The Songkran Nyomsane Forensic Medicine Museum got a lot more intense things! The forensic room shows the bodies of accident victims, murderers and even the dried body of a famous madman who was known to eat kids’ liver in the late 1950s. The dried body has turned to black color, in standing position inside a booth. I come to hear from one of the guides there explains to us that the purpose of displaying the dark body is supposed to be deterrent against violent crimes. After listening to the explanations, I find it a very good way to campaign against violence. I just can’t any longer afford to focus my attention listening to every detail while Pie is in the other way.  I can see that she’s paying a lot of attention to the guide and slightly nodding her head in agreement. She seems to show a lot of interest at the displays in which I find so cute whenever she furrowed her brow.

 

I feel so glad when finally we were out of the building. I was so happy and smiling from ear to ear because finally I won’t have to stare at the madman body. I can feel the hairs on my neck rise up and to add more on it, I feel like it's trying to get to me! Please God, don't let me die on my first date. I'm not being dramatic here but try to imagine standing next to the dark body and tell me if you don’t have these eerie feeling. We’re now heading to the next building that only located next to where we were. But the sky is not always bright. Next thing I know, we’re surrounded by skeletons and preserved bodies!

 

The Anatomical Museum is no kidding the creepiest one compared to the last two! The ambiance inside the third floor room is seriously suffocating. There are rows of old glass and wood cabinets full of skeletons. You can see preserved bodies all around the room! Dissected adults and children’s bodies seem to silently try to tell you their own stories from decades ago. A thousand body parts and genetic anomalies are frozen in time inside formaldehyde-filled jars. The room and its contents appear so old that it’s not as scary as some people might imagined it to be but of course I’m in the exception. The most disturbing part was a bunch of new toys piled on top of a set of jars containing malformed babies.

 

After few hours, we finally step out of the building and stroll around the place. We went to few places nearby and had our lunch. I’m on the other hand still feels sick remembering what I’d seen earlier but I still force myself to eat along. Judging from the looks in Pie’s face, I’m very sure that she is more than satisfied. A hundred percent is not enough to conclude her satisfaction instead a thousand is more precise. She looks so happy that she suddenly intertwined her fingers with mine. I look at her but she only squeezed it gently and keeps her head straight up. She drags me to the river cruise and still intertwined our fingers. I keep my cool but I can feel the warm on my face. From the corner of my eyes, I saw a slight pink shade on her face. Through all the way, we only keep in silent.

 

We finally arrived at the coffee shop near to her workplace. I offer to walk with her to her shop but she say she’s hungry and want to have our dinner at the coffee shop. We had our dinner together and little chitchat about our day out. After finishing our dinner, I walk her to her shop. She by the way still intertwined her fingers with mine. I keep in mind that she only did it because we’re just friends and she has someone already. Deep down in my heart, I feel sad thinking about it. We call it a day and parted our ways in front of her shop.

 

I look at the pathways and let out a heavy sigh. I don’t know why but I feel sad. I never doubt we had our great day today and I really enjoy it but still I feel something missing. I don’t have any idea what is it but I feel like maybe we’re not meant to be together. I mean, she has someone else and I’m nobody to claim her as mine. 

 

 

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

Hey my fellow friends (including you the silent readers)... Another update from me. What do you think of it? Is it good or is it bad? I know some of you are expecting some lovey-dovey and fluffy scenes but sorry guys... These are all that came out from my mind at the moment considering my current situation. BTW, all credit goes to Bangkok Magazine for the description of Bangkok Forensic Museum. I, myself never been in Thailand so i can't describe about it on my own words. Nevertheless, i find it so interesting when browsing about the interesting places in Bangkok especially after I read about it in Bangkok Magazine so yeah, my next trip maybe Bangkok (i'm praying hard for it). So, tell me what should I write in the next chapter. Your comments are welcome as well as subscription and vote. Thanks and enjoy your reading. ^_^