chapter 1

What was that?

Hi. My name is Kim. I am drop off college student but soon to be enrolling in a good and establish university. I work in a small restaurant. A Chinese restaurant to be exact.How I end up being here? Only God knows. Nahh… no drama. I am here because I need money to support my living and study. That is my main reason. Huh? I got another reason? Yup, I owe the lady owner of this restaurant. She saved me once and that is enough reason for me to stay. The story behind, let it rest in my heart forever. Thanks to her, I am living soul again today.

 

“Hey, are you planning to let me die working alone while you having your good time eyeing those beautiful chicks there?”

 

That high pitch voice is my best buddy, Puey. He is a diva boy. Well, he never likes the idea that he is actually was born as a boy. He said he is a girl that trapped in a boy’s body. Can you believe that?

 

“I was praying hard for you to finally find a handsome and caring boyfriend actually. But you just cut it off. So, don’t blame me if God never gets to hear my prayer just now and let you find the ugly instead!” I replied him half shouting as he reminds me that we have another 30 minutes to close and prepared the mise-en-place.

 

“Yeah, like I just know you -dy! You are thinking about the girls, aren’t you?” as he throw the used tea bag at me. Huh, sounds like a statement rather than a question to me.

 

“I love you buddy. You know that.”

 

“And I love you more if you can get your over here and help me!”

 

“Gosh buddy… I wonder how those guys you dated find you attractive with those vulgar words.”

 

“Speaking like you ever get laid with those sweet words coming from your mouth!”

 

Well, that is how we show our love to each other. A brotherly love I mean. I’m not in love with him like a girl to boy love or vise versa. He is more like a sister to me while I’m more like a little brother to him. At least that’s what we feel over each other and that what keep us together since our first meet 4 years ago.

 

 

****flashback****

 

 

“Guys, I would like to introduce you all to our new family member. This is Kim. Please be nice and take care of her.”

 

“Hi, everyone. My name is Kim. I am 18 years old. Pleased to meet you all.”

 

“Are you sure she is a girl,Aunty In?”

 

“Y-yes… I am a girl.”

 

“Well, you look more like a boy to me.”

 

“I am a girl. 100% a girl.”

 

“I don’t think she is a girl at all. Are you gay?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I am asking you, are you gay? Gosh, you are not just stupid but deaf too.”

 

“I’m not gay. I’m a straight girl. I-I have a ! And I’m not stupid. Maybe a little bit but I’m not completely stupid and deaf.”

 

“Ahh… Did you just get your landed here in Thailand? Of course everyone can get implanted even a !”

 

“Hey, this is a real you mo…”

 

“Enough for the brief introduction.Thank you Puey. She is a girl for sure. Everybody, please introduce yourself to Kim.”

 

“Hey, I’m Puey and I’m supposed to be the youngest here until you come. Anyway, I’m the hostess here.”

“I’m Kim. Pleased to meet you.”

 

“Hey, I know you name. Seriously, don’t you know another vocabs other than “pleased to meet you”?”

 

“Puey…..”

 

“Sorry Aunty In. I’m just being NICE to her.”

 

“Hi. I’m Suzy.”

 

“I’m Wendy.”

 

“Okay guys, let’s get back to work and you Kim, please follow me. I will show you around.”

 

Lucky me, Aunty In saved me from that annoying squid. Fuhhhh… I’m pretty sure I will end up smacking his face if he ever dares to doubt my ever again!

 

“Kim, forgive and forget what he said earlier. It was just his way to bond with you. He is a nice boy and I’m sure you guys will get along.”

 

“Thanks Aunty In. Thanks for letting me in and taking me as your family member. I don’t know what will happen to me if you never come to my life.”

 

“Ssssshhhh…. Don’t ever say that again. You are now safe and I’m glad you want to stay. Take us as your family from now onwards. This is your family and home. Okay kiddo?”

 

“Thanks again Aunty In.”

 

 

****end of flashback****

 

I always shed a tear whenever I reminiscing that fateful day. I’m grateful and happy Aunty In let me stay and take me as a family member. Those were the days I really treasure the most and become my new page in life.

 

“Hey, don’t tell me you still can’t get rid of those introduction day? I’m just trying to be NICE to you, okay?”

 

NICE with the emphasized NICE is actually means the other way around when it comes to this sissy boy. Seriously, this squid has lost all his testosterone. He even has a collection of those princesses’s dress. I caught him one day wearing one during the day off when Aunty In left for a seminar in Phuket. He made me swear to never tell anyone about it and as in return he let me half day off every Sundays.

 

“Nahh… There were some dusts coming to my eyes.”

 

“Dust my ! I’ve known you for more than 5 years Kim. Do you really think I’m still buying your lame excuse?”

 

“Am I selling you something? Where’s my money than? Pay me now!”

 

“Pay my ! Hey, let’s get out. It’s been a while since we last hang out at the Sixty Six Bar. Don’t you want to get laid? I heard there is A LOT OF PRETTY GIRLS going there on Ladies Night.”

 

“Nope. You go ahead buddy. I’m tired…”

 

“Come on Kim. I won’t take no for an answer. I’m tired too remember? But we need to chill out. I will make sure you can get pretty girl for company. Besides, I need it too. Uh, you know it’s been a while for me since that son of a Hans dumped me. Come on Kim, please? Please? Please?”

 

Arggghhh!! I hate this squid when he is begging with those eyes. I know well how it always be in the end. I will end up being his guardian and saving his whenever he got drunk. Yup, he got low tolerance on alcohol but still trying to get attention from the guys in the barby showing his “seductive expression” aka drunk attitude. Such a drama queen. I wonder why no film producers ever discover his talent. He could win tenth times Oscar in a row.

 

“I hate you, Puey!”

 

Wearing black jeans and white polo, I styled my hairs with my fingers. Done and we are now heading to the bar.

 

 

 

****At the Sixty Six Bar****

 

 

“Kim, put this on. Keep your eyes open. The rest is on you. I got a date to attend.”

 

He handed me his black leather jacket. Damn this squid! His eyes so fast eyeing those hungry snakes at the corner table. I put on his jacket at once since I don’t want any dirt on my white polo.

 

“Hey kiddo… It’s been a while since I last saw you and Puey coming. You want as usual kiddo?”

 

“Yup. Thanks Ben.”

 

Being a regular here makes it easier for me to stay around. Ben the bartender is really a nice and humble guy. After my fifth visit only I got to know that he actually is the owner of this place. He and his wife work there. They migrated from the States and settle down in Bangkok because according to him, his heart belongs to Thailand. He had fallen in love with this country during his visit seven years ago when they celebrated their 20th anniversaries. Being in his late 50’s he still loving his wife so dearly like newlywed couple.

 

“Here you go kiddo. Long island for my handsome girl.”

 

“Thanks Ben. Cheers for Sixty Six and long live Mr. and Mrs. Ben.”

 

“Cheers for you too, kiddo. I hope you’ll find a beautiful lady in my house.”

 

“Yeah… If only that squid don’t make drama again.”

 

We both laughing and chatting for a while until he excused himself to attend other customers. Suddenly I felt someone back hugging me and resting her/his chin on my shoulder. I was about to throw my fist then suddenly I heard the voice whispering something.

 

“Help me please…”

 

I turned to my back and see a scared girl hugging me. Our faces only parted by inches and her hands still wrapping my waist.

 

“Help me please…”

 

“Hey…”

 

Her lips suddenly on mine and hands still hugging me. I was stunned but play along since I saw two angry big guys heading to my direction. I kiss her back and put my left hand on her waist. Funny because I’m enjoying her kiss and lips. Her scent also really sweet!

 

“Hey, that is mine.”

 

One of the big guys with bald head trying to pull the girl who is still busy kissing and hugging me. Damn you! Why over all this time you want to come at this very moment?!! I hate you man!

 

“Sorry, she’s mine tonight.”

 

“Let see who can win over this !”

 

“I’m not fighting with you. And another thing, she is not a .”

 

“I don’t see the reason why you want to retreat now!”

 

! The same guy still not satisfied and trying to pull the girl away from me. Damn it! I don’t want to die . No! I rephrase that. I don’t want to die young! My heart pound so fast that I think even the girl on me also can feel it. I tried to calm myself and find a way to escape but was saved by my guardian angel.

 

“I’m afraid I got to have to ask my bouncers to show you the EXIT if you insist of making a chaos at MY place, sir.”

 

Thanks to you Ben. I still lock my eyes on their backs just in case they change their mind. I let go of my relief sigh and slowly pushing the scared girl on me. Our eyes met for the first time. She has this pair of dark eyes that seems to contain painful memories.

 

Oh no! Why I feel like something moving inside my stomach? Damn it! Did I fall in love with this stranger? Is this the sign of falling in love that Puey ever told me? But does it moves so fast and funny plus strange?

 

Well I don’t care anymore. I can’t stand it! It’s tickling me and I feel so uneasy now. I jumped on my feet which made the girl on me earlier fell on the floor. I took off my jacket and loosened my upper buttons. I don’t care anymore! Gosh, why on earth it took me so long to take off my shirt.

 

I saw the girl on the floor already looked terrified by my sudden actions. My legs between hers. I don’t care! All I want to do now is to take my shirts off me! Damn it! Why I can’t take off my shirt now????

 

I saw Ben and Puey rushing to my direction. Maybe they were terrified too. I want to tell them but all I want is to take the damn shirt off me. Just as Ben managed to grab my wrist, the funny movement inside me subsides. Puey came later and hugged me from behind.

 

“Damn it! Who brought the home size cockroach to this place?!!”

 

I’m more to yelling than questioning and being satisfied to finally killed the cockroach by stepping on it. As I look up, I saw everyone’s eyes looking at me and they look terrified too. But just in a snap, I heard the music loud and people starts to dance and drink again. Hey, I’m still a girl even though I dressed up like a boy and what’s wrong with hating the cockroach?

 

I look at the girl under me and offer my hand. She holds my hand and gets up only to stand few inches from me. Damn, this girl really beautiful. She has this flawless skin and smiling eyes. It’s kind of cute plus the petite size. Slowly Puey let go of me and Ben help the girl to calm.

 

"Kim, are you okay?"

 

"I'm okay Ben. Sorry about just now. Gosh, that home size cockroach really scaring me."

 

"Are you okay miss?"

 

"Y-yes..."

 

"Good then. Should I offer you any drinks?"

 

"N-no thanks. I-i b-better leave."

 

"Hey, stay for a while. I'm sure those guys still outside."

 

"Okay."

 

"Kim, can you please take this lady to find a seat? I'll come back later."

 

"...."

 

"Kim? Kim?"

 

"Ah... Did you just say something Ben?"

 

"Kiddo, are you okay?"

 

"I'm okay Ben."

 

"Nevermind. Puey buddy, can you please show both of them their seat?"

 

"Ben darling, I will be more appreciates if you don't call me buddy here. Call me baby okay, BABY..."

 

"You want me to be killed by your Momma?"

 

"Hey, don't try to involve me in your domestic problem."

 

"Geez... This kid!"

 

"Girls, let's go now."

 

We moved to less crowded table. Sitting next to her somehow makes my stomach funny again. I really want to know this girl.

 

"I'm Kim."

 

"I'm Pie."

“Hmmm… and I’m Puey. Okay, I see you girls wanna have some time here. Kim, I’m going now. If you didn’t see me until 11, just meet me at home okay? Take care kiddo.”

 

Puey took one last glance at me and ruffled my hairs before going off. He gave me the thumb up sign again. I’m pretty sure he wants me to go back alone since he is going to be on ride with one of the snakes he met earlier.

 

"Are you alone here?"

 

"Yeah, my friends just ditched me. By the way, thanks for helping me just now."

 

"No problem. Do you know those guys?"

 

"No. The bald guy bumps onto me when I came out from the restroom. He molested me and that's when I slap him then ran. I'm so sorry to involved you. Thanks for helping me."

 

"Hey, please don't say like that. I'm sure you will do the same as I did if it happens to me."

 

“So, you’re a girl, right?”

 

“Yeah. I’m a girl.”

 

“You look more like a boy than a girl.”

 

“Yeah. Everybody says that.”

 

We spent almost an hour not talking to each other. I saw her wanted to open but end up saying nothing. I tried to open my mouth too but no words coming out.

 

“Hey, I better leave.”

 

“Okay. Let me show you the way out.”

 

“It’s okay Kim. I know the way. Thanks for the company.”

 

“You’re welcome. Have a nice evening.”

 

“Yeah. You too.”

 

Seeing her walking to the exit made my heart thumping so fast. I don’t know and I’m not sure why but my feet just suddenly moving towards the exit. I’m making my way to the streets outside the bar but I couldn’t find her. I run to the end of the road but still no signs of the girl I’m looking for. I’m holding on my chest. Still beating so fast. What was that? Did I fall for her? Am I in love?