Best Friends and Roommates

Between Spotlights

Baekhyun wakes up two mornings later to the memory of arms around his neck, and a peaceful countenance. He's allowed himself to sleep in for a change since there aren't any official rehearsals on Sundays. He and some of the other soloists will meet up later for practice, but until then he can laze around in his pajamas, cook breakfast at his leisure, and play with the kitten Tao brought home several weeks ago. The black and white purrball is currently wrapped around his neck, which might account for at least some of the fuzzy feels he had upon waking up. Baekhyun gently pries the creature off, paying extra attention to the baby claws drawing into his skin as the kitten squawks angrily at its removal. 

“Tao...” he yawns sleepily, stepping out of his room. Tao's already awake in their shared living space, though that might be a matter of opinion. He's sprawled on the couch, legs open wide with his head tilted back, TV remote balancing on one thigh. His barely opened eyes are trained on the dim screen in the corner, but he's awake enough to register his roommate's presence, and more so the cat. “Lost something?” he asks, as Tao reaches forward to fetch the kitten from Baekhyun's arms. 

“Velvie!” Tao coos, petting it daintily. “My baby left me in the night! Baekhyun's such a temptress, isn't he?” 

The temptress scoffs and plops down one cushion away from the reunited lovebirds. “What are you doing today?” he asks, masking another yawn under the back of his hand.

“I... invited Kris over. Is that alright with you?”

Baekhyun frowns. “He's your friend. Do what you want. Uhh, just what time did you plan for?” 

“Noon?” 

“Mmkay.” That leaves Baekhyun with slightly less leisure time, but he thinks he can squeeze in breakfast and get at least an extra half hour to lounge around before vacating the apartment. 

“You don't have to leave, you know. Stay and hang out with us?” Tao's speech is friendly, and Baekhyun knows it's a sincere offer. Whether or not Tao and Kris have something going on - and based on what Baekhyun observes they still don't - he'd rather be somewhere else anyways. Kris isn't exactly the most stimulating conversationalist in the world. It offends Baekhyun's sensibilities, to have to speak to someone who can't appreciate his sense of humor, and is boring to boot. Kris is very different from Kai...

“I've got some things to do before rehearsing this afternoon.” It's not really a lie. Anyone could sit down and come up with a list of errands to attend to. 

“Would any of those things have to do with a certain dancer named Kai?” Tao teases.

Baekhyun frowns again. He didn't tell Tao the whole story about Kai, namely because even he doesn't know the whole story and he doesn't want some partial rumor circulating around the company. He can tell without having to ask that it would bother Kai immensely, and with their current status of who-knows-what, it's not a story worth telling if it risks Kai's trust. He already has some promises to keep.

 

“We should go back soon.”

“Hmmm.” Baekhyun didn't want to move. Moving out from under Kai's arms meant being cold again. It meant a signal to the end of their night. They had to go eventually though. He allowed Kai to walk him only halfway to his apartment building, since their places were in different directions. Baekhyun could barely hold himself upright he was so exhausted by then. 

“Promise me you'll get some extra rest this weekend?” Kai looked worried. 

“I don't need-”

“Yes you do. It's my fault you're out so late tonight. So promise me.”

“If it's your fault why are you making me promise?”

“Don't argue, just promise.” 

“So bossy!” He yawned at that moment though, a yawn so deep his whole body quivered. Kai crossed him arms, inclining his head like he knew he won this battle. “Okay, okay. I promise.”

“Goodnight then. Text me when you get home.”

“I should demand the same from you.”

“Fine then. I'll text you, too.” 

Baekhyun was too tired to deal with the younger's implied obstinacy. He walked a few steps away before he turned around. ”Hey, Kai?”

“Yeah?” Kai looked hopeful.

“We should do this again some night.”

The boy smiled. ”Movie and a nap and some coffee?” 

“Right on. And lots of walking!” But could we maybe change the location of the nap? he didn't add. 

 

Baekhyun stacks the last of this morning's dirty dishes into the sink, reminds Tao it's his turn to wash them, and steps out the door. Their apartment is a few flights up from ground level and he trudges down the stairs lazily, phone in hand. He dials an old, familiar number and by the time he's reached the last step, it picks up from the other end.

“Baekhyun! My Baekhyunie! How are you doing? What are you doing?”

“Same old me. And, I'm currently chatting with an idiot. I'm also on my way to see this idiot, and it's a freakin' Sunday morning so don't tell me you're busy or that you have homework or research to do because every college student needs at least one morning off to see his best friend. And if you deny me this right now I swear I'll find you and you in front of all the pretty girls you've got your eye on, until your reputation is screwed and you'll have nowhere else to turn! So where are you? Tell me now.”

There's no response from the other line, because all Baekhyun can hear is his friend's deep, wheezing laughter. Chanyeol coughs a few times to get himself under control. “Ok, ok, ok. I haven't left my dorm yet and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. You know where you can find me. Oh, you can meet my new roommate. He's-”

“Great. See you soon!” Baekhyun hangs up.

It takes him half an hour to commute and a few more hasty texts to Chanyeol before he remembers the right block and dorm number, and he's knocking at his door. His best friend of too many years to count opens it before Baekhyun's knuckles can knock twice. 

“Ah crap. You found me after all.” He chuckles as he ushers a growling Baekhyun inside. The place is a pig sty, as any male college dorm must be, but it's only a little more unsanitary than when Tao's kitten overturns her litter box, so Baekhyun thinks he'll live. He climbs over some piles of miscellaneous junk and finds a lone dining chair with only one stack of papers to remove. He sits backwards on it, chin resting on the chair back. 

“You're pouting,” Chanyeol says. “Why are you pouting?”

“Because I missed you.”

“I missed you too, but I'm not pouting. I'm happy. And you can't miss me that much. We live in the same town!”

“We might as well not though... Okay I'm not pouting because I missed you.”

“I knew it. So what's up?”

Baekhyun sighs longingly. “Life is hard. Dance is hard. Boys are hard-”

“Boys are what?!

“-Oh damn, that sounds wrong.”

“Jeez, Baekhyun. I thought your life was all great right now?” Chanyeol shoves aside another mess of what are probably clean clothes and reveals an open bag of chips hidden behind them. He pops the chips into his mouth without a concern in the world, lying diagonally across his bed. 

Baekhyun gulps down his distaste for the scene before him. He clarifies, “Alright so life isn't that hard. I'm just tired.”

“So you mean you're only pouting because you're tired and you know how to fix that but you won't?”

“Hey, I can tell you that last night I slept for seven straight hours!”

“Ooh, a whopping seven hours. You know, that's what most people are supposed to sleep on average, Baek.”

“Yeah, well how many hours did you get last night?”

“Five...”

“Just five?”

“Uhh, yep. But you don't see me being all grouchy this morning. I had a date!”

“No way. The great Chanyeol did not go on a date.”

Chanyeol puffs out his lips and tosses the now empty chip bag away, onto the pile of clean clothes. “You're right. It wasn't a date. Not a normal date anyways. It was a research date!”

“Please tell me you don't consider working on a school project with a girl a date?”

“She's my TA. I think she likes me.”

“If you say so.”

Chanyeol grunts happily. “You don't know anything. She's really beau-”

“Ah-ahhh!” Baekhyun screams and jumps when a figure he hadn't noticed, on a bed in the corner he hadn't noticed, sits up unexpectedly.

“Oh hey, Jongdae! Uhm, morning! Baek, this is my favorite roommate ever, Jongdae! And this is Baekhyun. We went to high school together.”

Said roommate looks like he just woke up, and by the scowl on his face, Chanyeol and Baekhyun are the reason why. Jongdae blinks his eyes a few times and ignores the introductions. With a grunt his shoves off sheet and blankets and slides to the floor wearing only his boxers and a T-shirt. He runs a hand through his messy hair and hops a few steps over the junk littered floor before disappearing into their miniscule bathroom.

“He’s actually really nice when he’s awake,” Chanyeol apologizes softly.

“I'm sure he is.”

Half a minute later the bathroom opens up and Jongdae, still zoned out, returns to his bed. He sits in it this time instead of lying down, blankets bunched over his lap, and eyeballs the intruder with some skepticism. “Hi.”

“Hi…” Baekhyun responds.

Jongdae turns his head sharply to his roommate. “Chanyeol, is your friend gay?”

“What?”

“I just want to know. I heard something about boys earlier and I just want to know if I should put on some pants or not, or if I’m safe in any way.

The messed up face Baekhyun’s making right now would typically have Chanyeol laughing, except he’s more concerned about his roommate’s sudden attitude shift. In any case, he’s not entirely sure of the answer.

“Uhm… I don’t know. Baekhyun, which way are you swinging this week?”

“What the—, Yeol. Seriously?”

“Well how am I supposed to know? You never talk about your love life!”

“I haven’t had a love life in years, that’s why!” Baekhyun answers sharply. To Jongdae he says, “Yes I’m gay. But I’m interested in someone right now, so you’re safe.”

“Really??” Chanyeol gets excited. “Who? Who’s the guy? Do I know him? Though, I’m guessing I probably don’t. How long now? Are you dating yet? Man you never tell me anything! I feel left out.”

I feel left out,” Jongdae mocks from the corner.

Chanyeol turns on him. “Hey, I just tried to explain that you’re actually a nice guy when you’re awake, and you treat him like this.”

He shrugs. “I was just asking a simple question.”

“It’s okay. I don’t really mind. At least he’s direct about asking. Some people drive me crazy with all their sly questioning. It took Tao a whole month to ask if I was gay and he still won’t even answer my questions back. Like he’s got anything left to hide.” Baekhyun smirks.

“Tao’s your roommate, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Hey you didn’t say who—  Is Tao the guy?”

“No! Another guy. Look I don’t really know where we stand yet, so can we not talk about this right now. I promise I’ll fill you in soon.”

Chanyeol concedes and they pick other, safer topics of conversation, like what each of them have been up to in school, or in Baekhyun’s case, the company. It’s hard to describe his dancer lifestyle since the other two are so unfamiliar with that world, but he tries and they for the most part seem interested. It's fortunate, because with Baekhyun’s schedule, and him not wanting to talk about Kai yet, he doesn’t really have anything else to share.

As the clock wears on, Baekhyun feels the comforting string of familiarity, thanks mostly to being around his best friend again. He has to give Jongdae some credit too though. The more awake he becomes, the more input he gives to their conversations, and Baekhyun decides he’s not that bad a guy, even if he does find the nearest opportunity to pull on some real clothes.

“Has anyone eaten yet?” Jongdae eventually asks. “Chanyeol, you just ate all those chips, didn't you? Damn.”

“Uhmm, I'm sorry?”

“Let's go out. Baekhyun, have you eaten?”

“I ate a late breakfast, but I could probably eat again.” He calculates how much time he has before he needs to get back, and it's just about the right amount of time to grab another meal. “You know someplace close?” 

“Taco place around the corner. It's not that good, but come on.”

The three of them make a funny picture walking down the street with Chanyeol towering a full head taller than the two shorter boys. Jongdae walks with the reflexes of someone well used to making a beeline for the hole-in-the-wall taco shop, hands stuffed in his pockets and head facing straight ahead. Chanyeol hangs back a step to walk beside Baekhyun while he attempts to pique his interest with college gossip of people Baekhyun's never heard of before and doesn't care about. He desperately misses the times when their friends were all mutual, and they could hold big raging parties (definition: lots of video games, pizza and soda cans), and the most they had to worry about was passing their classes and enjoying life. Times sure change, he thinks a little bitterly. He wonders if he can find an opportunity to invite Chanyeol up to see him, and introduce him properly to Tao and some of his dancer buddies. If he can get Kai to come too, and Kai's friends, because they seemed like nice guys, all things considered... Heck, he can even picture Jongdae hanging out with them. And Kris, since he seems to be glued to Tao's side. Baekhyun likes large parties made up of friends. It makes him feel alive, especially when he's at the center of it all.

“Okay Baek, now you look devious. What are you thinking about? What evil plans are you crafting now?”

“Me? Nothing!”

“Ohh, you're the picture of innocence.”

“I'm serious! I was just thinking... if I could get everyone-- nah, never mind.” 

“Spit it out. If you could get everyone... who's everyone?” 

“No, it wouldn’t work. I was thinking about having a party sometime but it's too much trouble. Maybe just something small. Want to come up next weekend and hang out? You too, Jongdae, if you want.”

“This weekend?”

“Yeah. Oh wait! I can't! We have some sort of school performance thing on Saturday. Like a practice for some of the stuff we're working on in one of the university auditoriums.”

“Oh, that's too bad. It's a real performance though? People can come and watch?” Chanyeol asks.

“Yes. It's free too, I think.”

“Well that's cool. I'll come watch then.”

Baekhyun's stunned and a little happy. “Really?”

“Yeah why not? I haven't been to one of your dance recitals in ages. And besides, you're a soloist now. Professional soloist! I should support. Jongdae, want to come and see the magnificent flying Baekhyun dance? He's the best of the best and I'm not exaggerating just because he's my best friend!”

Jongdae laughs, a little frightened, but to Baekhyun's surprise he nods too and says he can come. 

With the new prospect of having at least one real friend in the audience, Baekhyun's mood lightens considerably by the time they order their food. Halfway through eating a taco claiming to contain a Mexican sausage recipe known as chorizo, his phone chirps loudly. Baekhyun's heart starts pounding when he sees the texter's name light up, and the partial message displayed on the lock screen. 

Kai: I'm gonna be at the studio tonight. Will you be around?

A second message quickly follows: 

Kai: Stupid question. Of course you'll be there. 

And the third: 

Kai: But will you have time to see me? 

Baekhyun quickly types his reply while he chews, failing to contain his grin and he chokes on the bite he's swallowing instead. Chanyeol smacks him on the back and peeks over to see the message. 

Baekhyun: Yep. I'll always have time for my tutor. 

 


2,752 words

 

So close to our OT12... Just kidding. But everyone's finally introduced, hooray! 

After the last couple heavy heavy, heart thundering fluffy Kaibaek chapters, I'm almost a little sorry to pull away. But then I figured y'all might need a rest as much as I did. And I had two more characters to introduce. This chapter serves a purpose, believe me.

P.S. I think I spoil you guys, writing and updating every two days. But really, I just can't stop writing. I WANT to see more and more happen, and if I could write quicker, I would. :)

Next chapter will take place on the same day as this one, in the studio. Expect to see more of the other characters again, now that all introductions have been made. 

Rosie <3