Circumstances Dictate

Between Spotlights

Luhan's tears dry while they wait. He downs a second and then a third cup of coffee and even the others help drain the pot of caffeine, despite it being close to midnight. Kai walks over to Baekhyun and back hugs the shorter from where he sits on the kitchen stool. Baekhyun pulls his arms to crisscross across his stomach and Kai rests his chin on Baekhyun's shoulder. They watch the scene play out before them as Sehun tries to draw out the rest of the story. Baekhyun doesn't have to show him Minseok's texts because it's apparent to everybody, if just not to Luhan, what's probably just happened. 

"I'm sorry," Luhan finally says after a few minutes of silence, "for crashing your party."

"Just a boring movie night," says Sehun. He winks at the other two. "Let's talk about this though." Sehun indicates the marks on Luhan's neck. 

"Don't remind me, please," Luhan whimpers. 

"Nah, you're not getting out of this so easily. Come on. 'Fess up. Was it someone you hooked up with? Someone you know?" 

Without meeting anyone's eyes, Luhan talks to his lap, a hint of bitterness creeping into his voice. "Some brunette named Shelby, that's all I know. I didn't even go home with her. We just made out at the bar and pretty soon I realized I was all alone with her. The other guys had left, and so that's when I left too."

"Without the girl?"

"Without the girl."

"And you went to Minseok's."

"Yes." 

"Why."

Luhan shrugs. "I don't know why. I was still pretty drunk, and I just went there."

"And then he got mad at you for drinking?" Sehun seems to be having fun piecing the story together.

"Yes, and for... and for... this." Luhan touches his neck. Embarrassed he tries to pull his collar up higher, as if they hadn't already seen all they needed to.

Sehun tsks in disappointment. "So you just let some random girl mark you? It's no wonder Minseok scolded you."

"I know!" Luhan cries out ashamed, squelching his eyes shut. "It wasn't even somebody I cared about!"

"Ahh, so that would've made it alright? Better if it was somebody you liked?” Sehun smirks angrily. “What are you, a dog? Cattle? Did you do the same to her? Did you make your mark on some unknown, unnamed territory? Jesus, you're a human being, Luhan. Not some kind of animal to be branded." 

Sehun's voice rises and Luhan croaks out a throaty whine. "Stop, stop, please, stop."

"Why? It's something you should hear."

"I don't need to hear this. I already know. I know..."

"Yeah, well obviously you don't remember you know whenever you get drunk. You've got a pretty ty lifestyle if you can go out and do this kind of crap and then get upset when your friends call you out on it."

Luhan catches his breath. "And who made you the expert? You're only nineteen!"

"Well, you're twenty four and I've had at least three more steady girlfriends than you've had so far."

"Good for you! That still doesn't make you an expert in dating.”

"No? Well at least I haven't been in love with my best friend for half a decade!"

Luhan chokes. Baekhyun feels Kai's arms unravel from around his middle as Kai steps in to intervene. He tugs Sehun off the couch to put some distance between him and Luhan, and Luhan continues to gape openly at them both. 

"What?" He cries miserably.

Sehun opens his mouth to speak, but shuts it at a look from Kai. Baekhyun wonders if he should start another pot of coffee or just disappear into his room like Tao did earlier. Sehun looks like he's regretting his words already, while Luhan looks panicked and ready to bolt. 

"Is-- is that what you all think? How do you... why do you...Kai?" He practically begs the younger one to relieve him of his misery, to explain all these answers, and to tell him what to think.

Kai slowly and resolutely obliges him. "Lu, you know if we didn't know you, and all we saw was you and Minseok together, we'd all assume you were dating." Luhan's lower lip shivers and he bites it close. "You're always together. You're always touching each other. You rarely do a single thing without consulting the other. You tease, you flirt, and you get really upset if he goes out without you. And... and... you know Minseok acts nearly the same way..."

"But he doesn't!" Luhan tries to defend. 

"He does, he's just not as vocal about everything as you are," Baekhyun says quietly behind them. Luhan flips his head around to confirm Baekhyun's words, then lowers his gaze to his lap again. Baekhyun can just imagine the crazy flips Luhan's brain must be doing right now.

"But he doesn't," Luhan repeats stubbornly. "He, he dates. He goes with girls--"

"He dates because you set him up on double dates and he goes with you. Luhan, wake up," Sehun says, almost bored.

Luhan gulps. "We're... just friends."

"Yeah, we get that part," Sehun continues. "You've always been just friends. Maybe you should ask him if it'll always be that way next time you see him. He's on his way here now."

"What!?" 

Kai grabs Luhan's arm to keep him from flying off the couch. "Baekhyun texted him. He's been frantic about you ever since you left and texting everyone he knows.”

"What? You-you've been talking to him?" he demands of Baekhyun.

Baekhyun wants to deny it, but he catches his head nodding against his own will. Tough love, he thinks. He's not sure if Minseok really meant to spill so much to him, but he can guess the other man's worry even through the impersonal text messages. He can imagine the other's panic and heartfelt regret. He can also guess that Minseok's concern is more than just for a friend. He was just short of confessing the actual words,  but he'll leave that for Minseok to say to Luhan himself. Useful though the information was when Minseok spilled the beans about Kai's crush, Baekhyun thinks this situation is not the same at all.

“You should use this opportunity to really talk to him,” Baekhyun says. 

Luhan doesn’t reply. Instead, he reclines sideways across the couch, face buried in a pillow, and waits like a dead man awaiting trial. Sehun replaces Kai’s original place on the couch and sits quietly next to him. The clock on the wall continues to tick.

No more than ten minutes later, Baekhyun bolts at the sound of someone knocking. He lets a nervous-looking Minseok into the apartment and closes the door. Minseok's eyes are red and puffy, though dry, his expression serious though a little uncertain. Baekhyun expects Luhan to jump up but instead he realizes the older man must be dozing, because Sehun shakes him awake as Minseok approaches the couch. 

He trades with Sehun before Luhan is fully conscious. He looks confused when he’s dragged into someone’s arms, resisting a little until he realizes who it is. Face to face with Minseok he whimpers and starts to cry again, but the other only shushes him and holds him tighter.

“Lu, I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” he coos gently. “You didn’t need to run away. I’m sorry I got mad. I shouldn’t have gotten mad.” 

“No. No, I’m the one who should be sorry—“ Minseok cuts him off by tightening the hug and Luhan buries his head in his shoulder as Minseok slowly rocks them back and forth.

Sehun hovers awkwardly over the pair until Baekhyun meets his eyes. Pulling Kai behind him, he pushes Sehun towards his bedroom door and they leave to give the other two some privacy. 

Baekhyun stumbles around until he finds a light and the soft bulb slowly illuminates the tiny room. 

Kai exhales heavily as he plops backwards onto Baekhyun’s bed. “Well,” he says deliberately, but without further comment. Sehun sighs as well, scratches his head, and picks out a ratty old armchair to sit in. Baekhyun stands in the middle of the room, hands on his hips, and unsure about what to do next.

“How long are we hiding in here?” Kai asks.

“I guess as long as it takes for those two to kiss and make up?” Sehun suggests.

“Might be a while then,” says Kai. “So stubborn.” Baekhyun can tell he wants to make light of it except that after the past half hour none of them can really let it all go. Luhan’s regret is too painful, and with Sehun’s bomb drop, who knows what feelings Luhan might suddenly recognize. Minseok’s too, if Baekhyun has anything to say about it. He might say they’ve done enough for the couple, except now Baekhyun’s forcibly trapped himself, Kai and Sehun in his bedroom, and tomorrow’s a school or work day for them all. 

“Are they still talking?” Sehun asks, since Baekhyun stands closest to the door.

Baekhyun doesn’t want to spy, but he creeps to the door jam and puts an ear to the crack. The walls of the apartment aren’t that thick, but he still can’t make out more than the mumbled whispers of most likely Minseok’s voice. “Yeah, they are.”

“Lovely,” says Sehun without enthusiasm. He yawns. “Whatever. Throw me a blanket. I’ll sleep on the floor.”

Kai looks scandalized. “No way you’re sleeping in here!” he whispers loudly.

Sehun rolls his eyes. “It’s not like I’m asking you to share a pillow. Sleep on the bed! Oh, or are you more concerned for Baekhyun’s modesty and/or your own privacy?” He smirks.

Kai gulps, unsure of how to tell his best friend that he’s never been in Baekhyun’s room before except to walk through to the bathroom. Baekhyun grins, amused at the two bickering.

“Go sleep with Tao,” Kai demands.

“What? I’m not going to go sleep with Tao.”

“Take your blanket and sleep on his floor.”

“What do you take me for, a creeper?” Sehun scowls, now the scandalized one.

“He’s got thicker carpets and a fluffier floor mat,” Baekhyun chimes in and Kai laughs, proud of his boyfriend and just a little bit afraid. What if Sehun really does leave them alone? He’ll probably get jumped!

To his relief — or rather his disappointment — Sehun ignores them both and steals a pillow from the end of bed, throwing it down across the floor and settling in. He smiles like the brat Kai knows he is, eyes closed and on his back. 

“I don’t remember inviting you over for a sleepover,” Kai grumbles.

Baekhyun, however, chuckles and starts rummaging through his dresser. To Sehun he offers nothing, but he throws a shirt and large sweatpants at Kai and fetches himself a similar pair. Kai sulks but he takes himself to the bathroom to change anyways. As soon as the door shuts, Sehun giggles, his eyes still closed.

“Am I helping things?” he asks, still grinning.

“Yeah, you’re right handy to have around in a bedroom,” says Baekhyun. 

“Sorry.”

“Sure you are.”

“Hey, what can I do? Circumstances dictate. Besides, I gotta stay and protect my best friend’s honor.” He smirks.

“Ah, so that’s what this is about.” He nods in mock understanding.

“Yep. You think I’d leave him behind for you? I know your type. Wild, and ravenous!” 

Baekhyun sits down on his bed and throws an extra pillow at Sehun’s head. “You know if you’re that concerned, both of you could just take yourselves home.”

“At this hour?” Sehun whines. “It’ll take me thirty minutes to get home. Probably longer. My usual train’s under construction tonight.” Under his breath he mutters, “I thought I’d at least have a couch to sleep on… stupid Luhan.”

“Oh well,” says Baekyun, with confidence. “Circumstances dictate, after all.” He dangles his feet off the side of the bed while he waits for Kai to come out of the bathroom.

After a few moments of silence, Sehun clears his throat. “Have you ever dated anyone before?” he asks, his tone a little more serious than before.

“Yes.”

“Does Kai know?” 

Baekhyun frowns. “We haven’t really talked about anything like that.”

He’s never dated anyone before.”

“I know. Minseok told me. He’s also the one who told me that Kai liked me. Even from long ago.”

Sehun laughs lightly. “Minseok knows just about everything. Except how to deal with Luhan. Speaking of them, do you think they’re still out there?”

“I don’t know. Didn’t hear the front door and it’s pretty hard to miss the sound of it squeaking. Want to take a peak and see if they’re making out on my couch yet?” 

“No,” Sehun says too quickly, grimacing. 

Baekhyun teases him. “You really don’t like all that PDA do you?”

“Not when it’s my friends doing it!”

“Hmm, well then you may find yourself regretting sleeping in here tonight.”

Sehun forcibly groans and rolls onto his side. 

Kai comes out of the bathroom then and their conversation is paused while Sehun goes back into obnoxious-sleeping mode. Kai kicks him none too gently when he passes by and Baekhyun takes his turn in the bathroom. Five minutes later he reenters his bedroom to find Sehun curled up in a ball facing away from the light, and Kai laying uneasily at the farthest edge of Baekhyun’s bed. His body practically molds with the wall as Baekhyun steps over Sehun and turns out the light. The mattress shifts when Baekhyun presses his knee into it to climb in. He rests on both knees and straightens out his pillow, then shifts to turn around and drag up the blankets, being sure to include Kai as well. 

Their elbows barely touch, one on his back, the other with his back to his boyfriend. Baekhyun wiggles to straighten out his twisted pants leg, his eyes open and to the ceiling as he tries to make out any shapes in the completely darkened room. Kai breathes lightly beside him, and Sehun is soundless on the floor. He knows that probably neither of them can be already asleep. 

It’s suddenly lonely in the room, even sharing it with two people and one of them a bed mate. Baekhyun decides he doesn’t care that Sehun is there. He draws up his right arm and slowly hooks it through the crook of Kai’s elbow, drawing his nearer. Kai doesn’t take long to get the hint. He rolls over completely, freeing his left elbow until he lays completely on his left side facing Baekhyun. Baekhyun turns his head and they’re inches apart. More adjusted to the light now, he can see that Kai’s eyes are open and considerably awake. Baekhyun smiles.

So this is what it feels like, to have that look of love trained on you, he thinks. He’s pretty sure he’s never had this with either of his past boyfriends. One good friend in high school who together they decided to try and date. It was too awkward to really work out. One near stranger his first semester in college, with whom he got along with decently well. A few weeks later he left school to join the company and he didn’t really care to cry about it. Baekhyun’s not at all an expert in dating, though he has more experience than Kai. He knows what kind of people he gets along with, and what kinds of men he doesn’t like; what kind of men don’t like him. He knows he can be spontaneous, and sometimes a bit of a hassle, but he also knows that for the people he loves, he can do anything. And that person is slowly, surely, becoming Kai. Whatever fears his boyfriend has, whatever uncertainties he has about being in a relationship for the first time, he wants to dispel them. 

Baekhyun closes his eyes, savoring the moment, the thoughts. The careful rustle of the bed sheets don’t tip him off in time, until he feels Kai’s lips press softly against his own. Without moving, still on his back, he returns the sweet kiss and lets Kai do the work moving closer. An arm sneaks across his stomach as Kai pulls himself in line with Baekhyun’s side and he sighs softly into their still attached lips.

From on the ground then they both hear Sehun’s barely audible whisper, half muffled by his pillow and blanket. “Don’t you guys dare…”

Baekhyun smiles into the kiss, and Kai the same as they break apart from the simple action. Instead of retreating though, Kai removes his head a mere few inches and settles into Baekhyun’s pillow, his arm still latched across his chest. 

“Goodnight, Baek,” he whispers, closing his eyes.

They doze like that, half an hour, an hour? Baekhyun doesn’t need to check the time to know that he’s peaceful, even if not quite asleep. At some point though, and it must not have been too late, he hears a slight knock on the door, and a thin ream of light blinds him as the door begins to open. He sits up, dislodging Kai’s sleep-heavy arm and rubs his eyes.

“Baekhyun?” whispers a cautious Minseok.

“Hmm?” He blinks his eyes and tries to focus on the man at the door.

“I’m taking Luhan home now,” he continues to whisper.

“Oh, okay.”  When Minseok doesn’t respond and he doesn’t close the door either, Baekhyun whispers back. “Goodnight.”

“Ahh. Goodnight. And…and thank you. Sorry we crashed your night.”

“S’ok. See you tomorrow.”

“Thanks. Bye.”

The door closes and Baekhyun lays back gently against his pillow. Kai doesn’t budge at all so he gingerly edges back into his warm spot and pulls Kai’s arm back into place. He wants to think about Luhan and Minseok but his brain doesn’t let him, and the pull of sleep is too strong. Kai breathes evenly into his ear and the sound lulls him back into complacency. Nearly asleep, he hears Sehun rummaging on the floor, the wispy sounds of blankets trailing along the ground, and the bedroom door open and close. He doesn’t remember anything else until morning. 

 


3,019 words

 

I'm a roll. Somebody stop me I can't stop writing! (Like any of you are complaining)

Well, we have a brief conclusion to this leg of the Xiuhan storyline. Man that was traumatic for me! You guys will just have to wait for the next chapter to learn what's actually happened between the two when Kai and/or Baekhyun see them again. I promise I won't just return them to the status quo, though obviously this is a major growing stage between them  :D

But, just in case you thought I was getting side-tracked, this story is still about Kaibaek. And after all the other peoples' drama I think we needed some more fluff in our lives. Also, a little Sebaek ;)

See you around next time (probably not tomorrow - I need to get some sleep too after all) 

<3 Rosie