Putting Rooms to Good Use

Between Spotlights

It’s a strange morning when Tao isn’t up at the same time as Baekhyun. He almost goes in search of his younger roommate before he remembers that Tao actually gets to sleep in this Saturday morning, while Baekhyun volunteered to help out with the studio workshop. It’s just his luck that he forced himself into that, and only because he loves his sister — not that he’ll tell her that in so many words. After such a long evening with Kai though he really wishes he could sleep in for a change. 

Last night was frankly amazing, but just a little bit nerve-wracking around the time he asked Kai to show up today. He’s still not entirely sure what possessed him to make these plans, other than being his own devious self. But no, it isn’t really like that, he permits himself to think. Baekhyun doesn’t know what the outcome will be, but he feels it in his bones that Kai still yearns to be around the dance world, to be a part of it in at least some aspect. Begging him to be around dancers like himself and his sister is just the easiest and probably least stressful way he can think to go about it.

He decides to be innovative about his breakfast this morning: toast instead of cereal. He pops the last bite into his mouth and nearly steps out the door a few minutes early when he instead determines that it won’t be good for his sleep cycle if he lets Tao sleep all day. He enters his bedroom without knocking, and sure enough, there is the room’s owner still completely passed out, curled up in his blankets, back up against an overly large pillow and cradling a large stuffed leopard plushie. 

“Tao… Tao,” Baekhyun says, not softly.

The figure on the bed grunts.

“Tao… wake up.”

Another grunt.

“Tao, wake up before I sing you awake.”

The grunt turns into a decisive moan, and Tao peels his eyes open to glare at his roommate. “What. Why are you waking me up.”

“Because you shouldn’t sleep in all day.”

“I’m not going to sleep in all day.” His morning voice is gruff and, if Baekhyun went for that sort of thing, kind of y.

Baekhyun smiles, the picture of innocence. “Well you looked like you might.”

“And what would be the problem with that?” Tao drags himself to a sitting position, still clutching the leopard with one hand, and rubbing his eyes with the other. 

Baekhyun shrugs. “It’s not good to waste the whole day.” 

“I hate you sometimes.” Tao focuses the clock on his nightstand and sighs when he glimpses the time. Lethargically, he turns his head back to his roommate. “It’s 8:30, Baekhyun. I set my alarm for 9:30 now tell me why on earth you couldn’t let me sleep in a whole extra hour??”

Tao is whiny in the morning. Baekhyun doesn’t share this though. “Oh you were getting up already?” He is genuinely surprised. 

“Yes,” says Tao, like he expected Baekhyun to know this. “I wasn’t going to be a bum. Now can you please go away, so I can go back to sleep?” 

He flops back on the bed and rolls over with his back to the door, and Baekhyun frowns, pitifully upset that Tao's too sleepy for a real squabble.

“Oh. Well, uhm. Goodnight. Or rather, good morning. Wait, so what are you doing today?”

With his voice partially muffled into the pillow, Tao answers, annoyed. “I’m sleeping in one more hour… and then I’m getting up, and I’m going to work out. And then I’m gonna hang with Sehun. Now shut the door and let me sleep, pretty, please.”

Baekhyun leaves, as instructed. 

The studio has a different vibe to it this morning with all the fresh-faced young dancers wandering the halls, some with their parents still hovering about, and others just excited for the day’s proceedings. 

He hears Minzy before he sees her. 

There’s no mistaking that energetic laugh echoing down the halls, that almost sluggish, but excitable manner of storytelling he can hear even several doors away and from inside one of the studio rooms. 

“And so I left them alone for who knows how long, assuming Baekhyun would make a move or something…”

The problem isn’t the voice though, it’s the story she’s telling to who knows how many people.

“And remember all my hard work I told you about to get my friend and him there in even the same place. Ahhh, she was such a cute girl too! He was bound to fall for her…”

He quickens his pace and without waiting for invitation, Baekhyun saunters through the open door. Minzy sits on the floor, surrounded by a group of people, some of them her girl friends and fellow dancers from home; some teenage kids here for the workshop listening in wide-eyed to her tale, and probably wondering why on earth they’re there; but most tragically, a small collection of Baekhyun’s fellows including Luhan and Minseok, Min, Krystal, and half of the eldest company members excluding Suho (thank God). 

“And what a waste! Because how was I to know that he didn’t like girls! Such a waste! My poor friend with her undying crush, and only afterwards — oh, hi, Baekhyun! — does he tell me… is he forced to tell me, that he’s gay!”

Luhan doubles over in laughter as Minzy finishes her story, complete with a look of exasperation taken right out of the past, and Baekhyun wants to box her ears. 

“Ahhh-ahhhh what are you telling them!? Why are you telling stories about me, huh? How dare you! I should turn around and tell them tales about you, Minzy.”

“Yeah, but nobody cares about my funny stories. You’re the more popular one here, bro! Way more fun!”

Baekhyun fumes while the others have a laugh at his expense, and the newbies in the room glance at him with scared expectations. 

“Thanks a lot, sis,” he grumbles. She gets up to greet him properly, and he reciprocates, expecting some kind of hug. He doesn’t expect to be attacked and crushed though, with Minzy’s arm around the back of his neck, forcing him to hunch over as he braves the attack. It’s not the manliest thing the studio has ever witnessed before. 

“Help!” he chokes, hoping for at least some assistance from his friends — from Minseok at least! — but none comes and finally Minzy lets go on her own, laughing delightedly over her own power to embarrass.

“Do you always let your sister manhandle you, Baekhyun?” Krystal taunts. “What a fun childhood you must have had!”

Baekhyun wheezes and glares at every person in the room until most of them settle down and go on about their warm-ups. 

To Minzy he says, “I knew I shouldn’t have let you come straight here.”

She shrugs. She and her dancer friends took a train in early this morning, and a taxi straight from the station to the studio. Her friends would go back in the evening, but she was planning on staying another day. On that note, he asks, “Where are your things? Luggage or whatever?”

Again she shrugs. “No clue. I brought them into the foyer, explained who I was, and your mother-in-law promptly had someone haul them away to the store room for me.” She giggles at that one, actually giggles, and coming out of his tomboyish sister's lips, it sounds devious. “I guess you can ask her later?”

Baekhyun whines. “You met Mrs. Kim already?”

“Of course. She’s nice. I’m going to like her a lot! Is Kai just as nice? When do I get to meet him?”

“Later, later…” 

“So he won’t be here for the workshop?” She looks surprised.

“Nope. And I beg of you not to bug me about that for a while.”

“Oh…” 

They are interrupted though by the bustling chaos of the building as the workshop begins, and Minzy bounds off to check the schedule and class room assignments. He follows at a distance.

The first half of the day goes by quickly, with Baekhyun and the other principals shadowing most of the classes, everything from ballet to jazz, hip hop, theater, and even a little bit of tap (not his forte but he tries it all the same, because who knows when it might come in handy). The workshop is still mostly modern in its direction, consistent to the theme of the company and their usual style of dance. Baekhyun finds it relaxing though, only taking classes an hour at a time, without thought to long term choreography or performance plans. It gives his body the much needed exercise without the stress, and if anyone were to ask, he genuinely enjoys the role as teacher’s pet. All the attending company members are there technically to assist and to demonstrate, and to generally encourage the students. 

Baekhyun leaves Minzy pretty much alone. He knows she doesn’t really need a brother following her every movement, and besides, she’s heard him nag enough as her personal family dance coach whenever he goes home on vacation. She doesn’t need much extra assistance though. Dance was in her bones even as a child, same as Baekhyun, even if she couldn’t really say yet what she wants to do with it as an adult. For now he thinks she’ll attend college somewhere as a dance major and take it from there. 

They join up together for the lunch break and head to his and his friends’ usual table in the courtyard out back. 

“Baekhyun, my brother! This is so much fun!” She hops around behind him, hands attached like suction cups to the tops of his shoulders. 

He laughs, while trying to shrug her off. “Glad you like it! Now you have a taste for how my world mostly functions.”

“I know. I’m jealous. Should I audition to come here next year? Wouldn’t you like your baby sister always around you? I could stay with you, right?

What? Who says you could stay with me? Could you afford it? You couldn't, and besides, I wouldn't have room for you and your entire collection of Gundam figurines!

You're no fun. But whatever. Oh wait, does your boyfriend live with you now?? That might be a little awkward.”

Minseok smiles at them cheekily when they sit down.

“What?! No, we don’t live together!” Baekhyun protests. “I live with Tao. Tao is my roommate and Kai has his own place.”

“Yeah, but does he always sleep at home?” Luhan asks merrily. He brushes behind them with his box lunch, hesitates for a moment, and then takes the spot next to Minseok. 

“You'll meet Tao later.” Baekhyun refuses to answer the other question and occupies himself with his and Minzy’s lunches to hopefully distract them. While dodging Minzy’s questions he side-eyes the slightly awkward not-a-couple across from them, happy to note that the level of skinship between Minseok and Luhan has reached ‘normal’ status like it used to be. The only difference now is that they never seem to meet eye to eye without one glancing away a littler quicker than before. It’s progress he thinks. Very slow, mind-numbingly slow, kill me now or lock them in a closet, slow. But at least it’s still progress.

“Aren’t you eating that?” Minzy asks suddenly. Baekhyun notices that it’s been several moments since he picked at his food of leftover fried rice. “Why, did you want it?”

“No. Just wanted to make sure you were eating right so I can tell mom.” Minzy switches to a motherly voice in imitation of no doubt the last words she heard this morning before getting on the train: “Make sure our Baekhyun is eating enough! And if he’s not, you tell him for me! He’s too skinny last picture I saw! Too skinny! Tell him to eat right!”

Minzy pokes him in the ribs for good measure, making Baekhyun squawk as he lurches out of her reach. 

“I eat just fine, thank you very much!”

“I’m just making sure!” Minzy laughs.

“I even had Korean BBQ last night, if that makes everyone feel better.” 

Luhan acts impressed. “Woah! Nice. Did Kai treat you?” Baekhyun nods. “Oh, well maybe Kai thinks you’re too skinny then?” He laughs.

“What? No. He doesn’t think that.”

“How do you know? He could like them chubbier. You know, with a little meat on ‘em. I once heard him complaining that some of the girls we danced with when we were younger were too much like stick figures.”

Minzy starts to clarify some things. “So you — you two — have known this Kai for a while?”

Luhan nods happily, conspiratorially. “Yup!”

“Ahhh, so he’s the judgmental type?”

Baekhyun snorts. “Stop making up things, Lu,” he emphasizes harshly.

“Hey, I’m just trying to make sure you eat right.” Luhan winks, quickly, with a little smirk on his face.

“Why didn’t he like skinny girls then?” Minzy asks.

“Probably because he didn’t like—“ Baekhyun coughs —“girls, or something.” He ends in a mutter. Luhan opens his mouth again to speak, but he quickly stops when he catches a ‘look’ on Minseok’s face. He shuts up and goes back to his lunch.

“Guess I’ll just have to meet him then,” Minzy concludes happily.

Baekhyun sits out the last class of the day, a two hour long workshop on free-styling which he knows is the main highlight for Minzy this day. Free styling isn’t Baekhyun’s favorite thing; he prefers the structure of choreography, though he can certainly still make up movements when the tempo is slower, more melodic, where the music isn’t dominated by a hip hop beat. 

He smiles through the window watching as Minzy is paired up with Seung Hoon for an exercise in duet free style. The two prized students Seung Hoon and Jung Kook have danced more than excellently all day, and Baekhyun is rather excited to see what they bring next week when they start creating routines for the company. He turns away from the door and skips over to one of the smaller practice rooms where Kai told him he’d be waiting.

And here is the real reason he’s playing hooky for the last class. Minseok and Luhan might cut out by claiming they’re old and tired, but Baekhyun delights in the fact that the next two hours are precious, because they’re probably the only couple hours he’ll have with Kai alone for the rest of the weekend. 

Baekhyun peaks into the room, expecting a sense of deja vu. Has it really been just a month or so since he first saw Kai here, sneaking into dance room like a secret owner? He didn’t dance though, Baekhyun remembers, just stood looking at himself in the mirror and at the time Baekhyun didn’t know why. 

He’s dancing now though. Baekhyun’s heart stops, watching him move. It’s not sharp, it’s not full out, but it is movement, an echo of what Kai used to do, long ago when Baekhyun didn’t know him, but only the dancer he used to be. He’s never seen him like this now though. Baekhyun backs away from the door, afraid to be caught, unsure why he should even be afraid. His brain thinks back to all the other times when Kai has come around, hiding out somewhere in the building before he meets Baekhyun. Does he always do this? Does he always test out his abilities little by little where no one can see it?

There’s no music playing inside that Baekhyun can hear. Perhaps the music is in his head only, or else the beat from the neighboring room is all he needs. It’s also past 4:00 pm and he surely knows Baekhyun will come looking for him here. 

Before he can lose his nerve, Baekhyun steps back up to the door, knocks briefly and enters. 

Kai stops dancing when he sees who it is. He breathes shallowly, mildly surprised to greet Baekhyun, but he smiles, and that’s all Baekhyun needs to smile back and hug him. 

“You’re dancing,” he says stupidly.

Kai hums. He wears a sleeveless black shirt and sweat pants, and his arms are covered in the thinnest sheen of sweat. Still he’s warmer than Baekhyun, who thinks he’s probably worked off all his lunch by now, but the sweat has dried leaving him clammy to the touch. He shivers, and Kai holds him close.

“How’s the workshop?” he asks.

“Fine.”

“And your sister?”

“Loving it. Keeps asking me when she’s going to meet you though. So annoying. I just want to spend time with you by myself.”

Kai laughs. “Well, we have a couple of hours then. I checked the schedule on my way up here.” He releases Baekhyun and the two slump down side by side against the wall. They each share a drink from the same water bottle Kai brought with him.

“You were dancing,” Baekhyun repeats after a few moments.

“Yeah.”

He’s not giving Baekhyun much of an outlet to talk, but that’s never stopped him before.

“How is it?” 

Kai sighs. “Tiring. Not used to it anymore.” Then he laughs. “Was I really ever that good? I can’t remember it now. How did my body do it?”

Baekhyun elbows him lightly in the ribs. “You talk like such an old man… But yeah, I guess you were good. Not as good as I was then, mind you — when you weren’t distracting me!” he adds quickly. 

Kai chuckles silently, and Baekhyun is pleased to see a grin still attached to his face, even when Kai closes his eyes briefly. Their nearest hands find each other on the ground between them, and Baekhyun tightly winds his fingers through Kai’s. 

Kai sighs again and opens his eyes. He shifts a tiny bit and moans, releasing Baekhyun’s hand to reach around his own neck and press at the sore muscles and tendons there.

“What’s wrong? Overdid yourself? Want a massage?”

Baekhyun pulls Kai’s hips away from the wall before Kai can even answer and turns him around so he can reach his back. His fingers gently knead around his neck and shoulders and Kai wavers violently where he sits, almost collapsing forward just from the release of nerves where Baekhyun touches. 

“Why didn’t I have you do this before?” Kai asks, breathlessly.

“I don’t know? Maybe you were just too afraid to have me at your back again?” He chuckles, observing Kai’s face in the mirror, but Kai doesn’t react, so happy is he to be on the receiving end of a massage.

“Well, I knew your fingers were good for something.”

Baekhyun slaps him lightly, earning a laugh from them both before returning to his work. 

“Apparently, Tao and Sehun are going to ‘hang out’ today,” Baekhyun says conversationally.

“Are they? Told you they’d be friends.”

“Yep, you were right.” He finds a particularly hard knot close to Kai’s shoulder blade and Kai cries out when he hits it too roughly. “Sorry. At least Tao’s getting out and doing something these days.”

“‘These days’. You keep talking like he’s a recluse. He’s only been grumpy for what, a week?” Kai asks.

“I suppose you’re right. It just seems weird to me.”

“But he and Kris weren’t dating or anything, right? What’s a week anyways?”

“They weren’t — yet — but it’s still so odd because Kris was always over, and they were always chatting. I asked him again yesterday after breakfast if he’d heard anything, and he still said no.”

“Huh,” Kai grunts. “Well, you never know.”

“Right. Well, at least he’s got Sehun now.”

Kai laughs. “Long as you know Sehun’s not gay.”

“I know that! I’m just… glad they’re friends.” Under his breath though he mutters, “Might turn, you never know.

“Hah. Give it up, Baekhyun.”

“I know. I know.” Baekhyun laughs. He presses a few more decisive times around Kai’s shoulders. “There, I think you’re done now. Or at least my hands are tired so that’s all I’m gonna do for today.” 

Kai scoffs. “That’s it? Wow, what a weakling!”

“Hey! It’s hard work!” 

“Sure. Sure.” Kai settles back against the wall, smirking at Baekhyun’s reactions. “Thanks though.”

“Hmph.”

Kai smiles. “Hey, come here.” He reaches for Baekhyun and pulls him into his lap. “I should thank you properly.” 

“Oh yeah? And how are you going to do that?” He lightly straddles Kai over Kai’s outstretched knees. 

“Like this.” 

Baekhyun expects the hands that pull their heads together and the deep kiss that follows. He meets him halfway, resting his hands on Kai’s shoulders as he reachers forward into the kiss. They’ve had lots of practice before this, learning how the other likes to kiss and be kissed; how to nip, how to explore, when to . What he doesn’t expect is for Kai’s knees to suddenly bend upwards, tossing and locking Baekhyun between Kai’s upper body and legs as he forces them together. 

Baekhyun groans. He pulls apart from the kiss long enough to give Kai an appraising smile, exhilarated to see Kai’s smirk on those badly kissed lips. He can’t even say anything though. Before he can catch his breath, Kai’s legs crush him closer into his lap. They both gasp, Kai desperate to reignite their kiss and Baekhyun happily obliges. 

When did Kai grow so daring? Baekhyun wonders, before mentally slapping himself. Kai has always been like this, unpredictable, unrestrained, a first class tease as he messes with just about every last sense that Baekhyun still owns. Maybe he is inexperienced in the area of love, but he's definitely not that when it comes to using his body to accomplish his goals. All these years of non-dancing haven't done anything to hinder the strength of his legs and thighs, the same things that are mashing the two of them into one. Nor to the arms and hands that pull Baekhyun's torso close, using his shoulder blades as leverage, digging into the skin even through the fabric of his sweat-soaked shirt. 

He feels it can only be a few minutes later when Kai pushes him back, lowering his knees so Baekhyun can slide back. He’s lost track of time except that he knows it hasn’t been long enough. Kai’s eyes look nearly bloodshot in the dim light of the room, crinkled from the strain, and he breathes even heavier than when Baekhyun found him. 

“Ehh?” Baekhyun wheezes, missing the loss of contact.

“Too… much…” Kai grunts. Then he laughs. “You do… remember where we are right now, right?”

“So?” Baekhyun whines. 

Kai laughs some more, and pulls himself up off the ground. He helps Baekhyun up too. “Hey I don’t want to spend all day in this room. Let’s wander for a bit. Besides I need some more water.” He kicks the empty bottle at their feet. 

“So?” Baekhyun doesn’t care. “You started it! And what’s wrong with this room? I want to stay here and make out!”

Kai only drags him to the door, tossing the bottle away before they open it and they step into the hall. 

Baekhyun tries to follow but runs smack into Kai’s back, abruptly paused in the door frame.

“What?”

“Shhhh!”

He whispers this time. “Huh? What is it?” Kai doesn’t move, however, so he cranes his head past him in the door frame, still frustrated that Kai made them stop (twice now), to peak out, and then he sees why.

At the end of the hallway in a niche on the wall next to the window sits a bench partially obscured. It’s a favorite resting spot of the dancers in between rehearsals, even if the wooden beams don’t make it exactly the comfiest place to sleep. Baekhyun knows this well. He feels a little gipped though when he realizes how the bench might be used in a more comfortable manner. For instance, if the person sleeping lengthwise had a lap for a pillow. And a hand brushing through the short strands of his hair, while the other hand rests comfortably on his chest playing softly with the top hem of the sleeping one’s shirt. Minseok is completely out of it, resting peacefully while Luhan himself lounges with his head resting on the wall and eyes closed. 

Kai still doesn’t move, and Baekhyun knows he must be just as entranced or amused as Baekhyun is. 

“Would you look at that,” Baekhyun whispers. 

“I thought you said they were acting awkward around each other??” Kai whispers back.

“I did. But that was yesterday. They were normal today. Only that right there—“

“That looks more than normal…”

“Yeah… What on earth has happened since lunchtime?”

Neither one of them moves. 

“Kai, are we going to leave this room sometime today, or do you want to go back inside and continue where we left off?”

“Huh? Oh. Uhm, but what if we disturb them?” 

Baekhyun giggles, a little too loudly perhaps. Luhan opens his eyes and catches them ogling. Kai starts and Baekhyun finally pushes him out since their position has been discovered already. He expects Luhan to say or at least do something, but instead the principal dancer lifts his head up a little, stares between Kai and Baekhyun, looks down at Minseok, then back at the other two. Then he beams, he actually beams, huge grin from ear to ear though he doesn’t actually show his teeth, and he never stops petting Minseok’s hair. 

“I… we….” Kai sputters. 

“Bye,” Baekhyun mouths, pulling Kai away from the scene. Luhan nods, and they tiptoe away from the couple. “Come on,” he tells Kai in a regular voice now that they’re out of hearing range. “I think we both need water now. That was too sweet for words. I may be sick.”

“Yup.” 

 


4,300 words

 

Wow that was a long chap! Apologies for taking so long. Busy week + updating my other fics + having to spend time actually studying Minzy in prep for her character's arrival (good chunks of 2NE1 TV) = late update! But, it's a long one, just for YOU. And I think I may have successfully thrown a bone to both Kaibaek and Xiuhan shippers. I don't know. You tell me?

If you want to know what happened to Xiuhan in the time between lunchtime and the bench scene, stick around to find out. But I think most of you will be pleased ;)

Tao's character arc is coming next, though it won't be as heavily featured as Xiuhan. Expect slow updates on him while Kaibaek work through the rest of their story. Oh, and we haven't seen the end of Minzy yet. Are you kidding? All that work and 2NE1 TV? This is no short cameo!

See you next time,

Rosie <3

P.S. Sorry to Argentina, but OMG GERMANY WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!