A Heated Confrontation

Between Spotlights

Baekhyun blushes a nice shade of pink when he’s embarrassed. Kai likes learning these sorts of things. He can’t help but make observations every time they meet, filing away new sorts of habits under a mental file, to pull out when he’s alone and missing a certain someone, or just marveling at the fact that they’re actually together after all this time. Time is precious, and it’s all the more miraculous to Kai that even though Baekhyun had known him for such a relatively short time Baekhyun had chosen to be with him, had agreed most eagerly to be with him.

Kai looks on with awe and pride as Baekhyun settles down to his makeshift work station. They’ve the bright lights again in the little dressing room and the four dancers get to work. Costume pieces go flying, shoes hit the floor, makeup bags open and…

“Is that glitter you’ve got, Luhan?” Baekhyun takes the words right out of Kai’s mouth. 

“Yes. Want some?” 

Without makeup Luhan has a special ability that would allow his face to blend in perfectly with a middle school class picture. With makeup he’s a devil, with or without the glitter he likes to add for emphasis around the outer edges of his eyes. Kai has seen Luhan dress up before. He typically comes out looking like an enchanted prince with twice the amount of eye sparkles, but Kai doesn’t really picture Baekhyun with that look. 

“No thanks,” says Baekhyun. “I’ve got my own goodies.” Kai is relieved, but a little curious as to what else his boyfriend might have in store.

“I brought this for Tao to try, actually.” Luhan holds up the bottle to the youngest dancer in the room. “We can put a little on when you’ve finished your makeup okay?”  Tao hums in assent. 

The pinkness around Baekhyun’s neck and cheeks recedes rather quickly, Kai notices. Apparently Baekhyun deals with cheesy near-exhibitionism decently well. He'd only guffawed for a moment, fake punched Kai and slipped through their devoted audience after being caught out in the hallway. 

Kai watches him from where he stands in the corner as far away from the overly bright mirrors as he can get. Baekhyun rocks left to right on the swivel chair he’d claimed. He pulls out the hair gels and combs and makeup applicators, lays them out side by side on the countertop, and their eyes meet briefly in the mirror. Baekhyun exchanges a small smile with Kai and that comforts him. This is a first for Kai, not being a part of the pre-performance hustle. His dark hair hangs limply around his temples, and his face is bare, and he doesn’t have a single garment or duffle bag or anything with him other than the wallet in his back pocket. He’s backstage without a thing to do for the first time in his life. It should bother him except that Baekhyun is pulling out that thin tube of black eyeliner and it excites him for some crazy reason. He fixes his concentration on the intense scene playing out before him: Baekhyun applying thick, coal dark lines around his orbs, eyes open wide as he coats the bottom layer and finishes at the sides. Baekhyun blinks a few times peering closely at himself in the mirror and makes a few more dabs with the brush before he sits back satisfied. 

One mirror over Minseok huffs in frustration. “I hate makeup! Hate it. I hate putting this on every night. Why can’t we hire some makeup artists to do this for us?” He flings down the little box containing a palette of eye shadow and sits back defeated. A rogue green streak unfortunately accents the crest of his cheekbone.

“Want some help with that?” Baekhyun offers.

“I’ll do it.” Luhan immediately answers. He reaches for a clean cutip, touches it to his tongue, and begins dabbing at the paint on Minseok’s face. 

Baekhyun finds Kai’s eyes in the mirror again and smiles knowingly. He swivels around and Kai sees him finally unhindered by glass and reflections. He must have dropped his jaw slack because Baekhyun tilts his head in curiosity. 

“Do I look good?” he asks. He stands up to stretch, still in his warm-up clothes but his face is mostly complete. Kai can’t wait until he can see the full picture again. Baekhyun in costume, ready to hit the stage - it was incidentally his first memory, but it all means so much more to him now. He wonders at what point this evening Baekhyun acquired so much confidence because he looks wholly in his element right now, tight and composed and stalking all too close towards Kai. 

“Very nice.”

“Just nice?” Baekhyun frowns.

“More than just nice. Handsome. Very, very handsome.”

“A good answer.” 

Baekhyun presses his lips together, smoothing around a light layer of natural shade lipstick. He pops his lips open expectantly and his eyes entreat Kai to make some sort of move since, after all, their earlier moment had been interrupted.

Kai gets the hint. “Tao, close your eyes for just a second, okay? I need to… do something, so consider this your two-second warning.”

 

The performance goes off several hours later without a hitch. Minus the nerves and frustration he had when he was younger, Baekhyun feels like all of this has oddly happened before: him standing the wings, with Kai watching on. Only now he isn’t on the other side of the stage, and Kai no longer flusters Baekhyun with his mere presence. He’s by his side now, rubbing slow massaging fingertips into Baekhyun’s shoulders between numbers and giving him endless words of praise and encouragement. If anyone notices the special treatment Baekhyun receives by having his boyfriend allowed backstage, they don’t say anything. He feels a little too privileged right now, but no one’s complaining, least of all him. 

If anything, Baekhyun is mildly concerned by how forlorn Kai gets when his attention isn’t on Baekhyun alone. He eyes glaze over as they take in the stage, the dancers, the sides of the audience their view from the wings affords. He looks lost, like a performer in mourning, and though he always brightens up when someone speaks to him, as soon as they stop, he’s back to the same original stance.

Baekhyun pulls him into a tight hug during intermission, after the curtains go down and the normal watt stage lights turn on. 

“Halfway there,” he intones. “I’m glad you’re here.”

“Glad to be here, too, Baek.” He pulls away slightly. “It - it’s really good to see you dance again, like this, on the stage.”

And when will I get to see you dance again? Baekhyun doesn’t ask. He smiles though, encouraged by Kai’s relaxed demeanor. “Well, you’re absolutely welcome to see me. It’s always my goal, to make at least somebody in the audience swoon.” 

Kai laughs. “Well you didn’t quite succeed with me, at least physically. But you can keep trying. I don’t mind.” He pulls Baekhyun along with him down the hallway towards the dressing rooms. Though his arm rests across Baekhyun’s shoulders, the exhausted dancer keeps a few inches between them. 

“God, I’m hot!” He pulls at his sweaty costume, attempting to get air moving around his overly perspiring torso. 

“I can agree with you there at least!” Kai shares. “I’d try to cool you down, however, I don’t really think it would work well.” He tugs his arm to yank him closer, but Baekhyun bounces away again with a little laugh.

“Nice try!” This time Baekhyun uncoils himself from Kai’s arm as well, and he enters his dressing room where the others have already assembled. 

“Kai!” They hear from down the hall. Krystal saunters ahead of a few other languid dancers until she meets up with the two in the doorway. “Kai, your mother is looking for you. Something about wanting you to meet some of the college execs. You better hurry.” Her eyes swipe from Kai to Baekhyun with a hint of merriment while she receives Kai’s acknowledgement.

“Okay…” 

Baekhyun waves him off and enters the room. He starts to pull at his shirt when Krystal pops her head in after him. 

“Oh, Baekhyun-“

“Hey, this is a boy’s dressing room!” Luhan stresses, offended. He stands shirtless by the clothes rack.

“Oh, whatever Luhan. Nothing I haven’t seen before.” Luhan scoffs. “Baekhyun, whenever you get decent again, Mrs. Kim says you’re to come too. They’ll be out in the lobby around by the side entrance. And don’t be too long about coming.”

She trots away and the four changing dancers stare after her incredulously.

“What does she want with you?” asks Minseok. 

“Didn’t Krystal say they were meeting with some bigwigs?” says Tao. “I get why she wants Kai, but why you? Why not the principals?” He indicates Luhan and Minseok.

“Because we’re not dating her son?” Luhan suggests with a laugh.

“What’s that got to do it with it?” Minseok asks.

“I don’t know?”

“Whatever. Baek, you better hurry. Mrs. Kim doesn’t like to be kept waiting."

Baekhyun shakes his head, but he quickly changes halfway into his next costume, throws a black T-shirt over it, and touches up a few strands of his hair before stepping into the hallway to find Kai and his mother. Krystal meets him at the stage door and points him down another hallway.

He hears them before he sees them. Mrs. Kim’s tinkling laughter echoes down the hall, and as he turns a corner there stands his boss with her arm cozily linked across her son’s shoulders. A couple of gentlemen stand in front of them laughing back jovially and making fond remarks about how nice it must be for Mrs. Kim to have her child back living with her.

“Yes, it is rather a joy to have Kai back. He’s taking some college classes now, but of course I’m excited to have him back in the city, and especially in the company.”

Baekhyun enters the room awkwardly just as Kai’s ears prick up, both from his mother’s words and at the sight of his boyfriend standing just a few feet away. Baekhyun reciprocates Kai’s confused stare with one of his own.  

“Ah, and here is Baekhyun, the one you were asking about earlier!” She reaches an arm out to the newcomer. “He’s our youngest soloist right now, just been promoted and he's only been with us for what, half a year now? Is that right, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun nods back, utterly confused about where this is going.

One of the men turns to him happily. "Frank Hopper," he says, holding out a hand. "I'm a dean here at the college, but also a great lover of the performing arts. My wife and I, and my colleague here, have been watching the West River company for many years now. Mrs. Kim always keeps us connected, and we do what we can to aid the company, like helping you bring this performance here to the college auditorium. Anyways, you're probably wondering why I'm telling you this. It's of no real consequence. We've just enjoyed your performance so far, and heard many great things about you."

"Thank you, sir. I'm glad to hear you like the recital so well." Baekhyun smiles to cover up his complete lack of understanding. Tao's comment on why Baekhyun and not the principals comes to mind. Mrs. Kim surely didn't bring him out here for something as simple as promoting a soloist, because he knows the others are just as good as him, and better. That leaves his relationship with Kai, but why would it matter that Baekhyun is dating Kai? They're surely not here to be introduced as a shining example of liberal domesticity. But then why, for that matter, is Kai even out here, other than as the son of Kim Tae Hee? 

They were soon to find out.

"Well this is, as I mentioned, only half of what we're planning for our full winter season. You're getting a good taste of the routines, and we have many others planned."

"Yes, indeed," agrees Mr. Hopper. "And I'm especially looking forward to seeing your son back on the stage. I remember him back in the day. A treat to watch! And now as part of a special duo ensemble? We're overjoyed at the prospect!" He looks happily between Kai and Baekhyun, and both boys are chilled to the bone.

Kai's eyes widen in surprise, suddenly paralyzed in his mother's grip. Baekhyun, no less rigid, pales at the look of terror and impending furor on his boyfriend's face. Many candid talks they have had, but never has Kai mentioned anything about returning to the world of dance. Baekhyun doesn't even know yet why he stopped dancing, and by this time he's almost given up on learning the reason. This, however, seems to come as a greater shock to Kai than to himself.

Mrs. Kim looks to have anticipated this reaction. She turns a little to the side in her embrace, so the effect partially blocks the gentlemen's view of Kai's expression. Baekhyun has ample opportunity to see his face, but Mr. Hopper and his companion are kept occupied by Mrs. Kim's farewells and gracious thanks for their interest in the dance company. Kai holds still until the men leave the foyer and only the three of them remain.

If looks could shout, Baekhyun thinks. He waits for the impending explosion. None occurs. 

Kai breathes shallowly and pulls apart from his mother. Without looking at her he says softly, "So this was your plan all along?"

Mrs. Kim sighs. "Kai, it's not a set plan. Just a suggestion I thought we could all look at together one day."

"A suggestion you've already made to a handful of your wealthiest benefactors before even discussing it with me? Before discussing it with Baekhyun? I see how it is..." He suddenly looks up and faces her directly. He doesn't shout, but the tone is clipped and restrained. "How dare you use Baekhyun like this. You set this up! All that crap about making me watch him dance. About teaching and tutoring him in dance. What was that you said? That our styles were complementary? That I should view him as an inspiration to me? Tell me again why it is that you wanted me home, mom? Because I'm thinking it wasn't because you missed me, it was because you needed me to come back and dance for you."

"Kai, you know you want to dance again..."

"And how do you know that?! How do you know I want to dance again? By setting me up so I feel obliged to form a duo with my boyfriend? Is that how you'll know this is what I actually want? What I can actually do? Have you paid attention to any of things I've gone through in the past few years?" 

Baekhyun doesn't know how to interject, or even if he should. The more Kai speaks, the fouler the situation tastes in his mouth, and the contrast between mother and son is so painfully stark. Kai looks utterly dejected, while Mrs. Kim holds fast to what she must suppose is an encouraging performance of hope. 

"Look, Kai... It's intermission right now. Why don't we all go back and we can revisit this conversation once the performance is over?" 

"If that's what you want, mom, then sure we can revisit this conversation later. But I don't think I'll have anything much to contribute. Find me when it's over, if you think it's worth wasting your time." And Kai stalks away back down the hallway from which they came.

Baekhyun yearns to follow, but he makes the mistake of looking first upon his boss. With Kai out of sight, Mrs. Kim finally falters. Her face falls entirely and her lips quiver as she presses them together. She brings a hand up to cover , cupping her chin, and she blinks a few times before leveling her gaze on the one dancer remaining.

"Baekhyun... you must be so confused. I really am sorry things have come out like this. I-I really thought it was an idea worth discussing, both before and after you two... started dating. I hope you're not discouraged, but I really hope you will help Kai to... not be discouraged either."

Baekhyun only blinks in reply. He can't really find words comprehensive enough to respond with. 

"I suppose he hasn't even really told you much about the past?"

Baekhyun shakes his head. "He hasn't." 

"Yes, that's as I thought. Well maybe now that will have to change... I'm sorry I brought this to such a state for you. You might want to go and find him before the intermission is over."

Baekhyun nods. As he turns to obey though, he stops first and asks her quietly, "Are you alright?"

Mrs. Kim presses her lips into a thin smile and exhales deeply before speaking. "Yes, thank you. I'll be alright."

"Alright..."

Baekhyun figures he'll have to track Kai down after that revealing rant in the foyer, but instead he's surprised to find Kai waiting for him just outside the stage entrance door. He looks up hesitantly when Baekhyun approaches, the picture of worry and defeat. "Baek..." He straightens off the wall he'd been leaning on and reaches forward to clasp his hand around one of Baekhyun's. "Baek, I'm sorry for running off just now."

"It's alright. Are you alright?" Baekhyun feels like a walking voice recorder. He smiles at the thought, and the betraying emotion causes Kai to flicker in alarm.

"What's... the matter? What's funny?"

Baekhyun squeezes the hand in his and pulls in closer for a hug. "Nothing. Nothing's the matter." Kai doesn't move in his embrace. "Idiot, you're supposed to hug me back." He waits until Kai's arms snake around him in a rough hug.

"I'm sorry," Kai says again.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for. But, Kai?"

"Hmm?"

"I think at some point you need to talk to me about certain things."

"I know, Baek. I will."

"When?"

"Not tonight. After tonight, I promise. Let's just get you through the rest of the performance and then I'll tell you everything."

"Okay, but only since you promised."

"I do promise. But right now I just want you. I don't want to think about anything else..."

Kai nuzzles him, chin resting on the base of Baekhyun's neck and the moist lips Kai's been biting while waiting settle just below his ear. Baekhyun listens to him breathe, a heavier, huskier sound than he's used to hearing. Hot air from Kai's mouth gently tickles the spot and Baekhyun shivers. He pulls away just far enough to remove his neck from temptation and instead flattens his forehead against the expanse above Kai's clavicle. The bridge of his nose presses to the bone concealed under Kai's shirt just as Kai's hands start to claw around the small of his back. Kai pinches the fabric of the black T-shirt, frustrated at the layers of material that meet his hands even underneath the cloth. In apology, Baekhyun looks up and their eyes meet in gentle understanding before Baekhyun leans forward to capture Kai's lips lightly with his own. 

Kai responds roughly, snapping suddenly like he's without a care in the world. As if the last few minutes had never happened, and they weren't now making out in a public hallway where someone could walk by, including any of the dancers, backstage personnel, or even his own mother... Baekhyun recoils on first instinct, but at Kai's wild look and his obvious disregard for the darker-than- lipstick beginning to stain his face, he gives in and resumes the kiss. They press against each other in the dim hallway lighting. Kai's hands abandon the now wrinkled shirt at Baekhyun's back and sink slowly lower. Curved fingertips rest at the lowest part of his waist drawing their hips together and the tiniest hint of a whimper echoes through Kai's lips when they finally connect.

It's the closest physical connection they've shared in such a heated confrontation and Baekhyun can't help but groan a little in response. The sound totally unhinges Kai's resolve. His hands release Baekhyun from their hold and instantly rise up like air bubbles in water flying to the surface. The movement upsets Baekhyun's own hold on him, as the arms he had looped behind Kai's back are forced apart. He wobbles just as Kai's hands clutch at either side of his face, steadying Baekhyun, but giving Kai complete control over the kiss. Not to be outdone, Baekhyun grasps Kai by the hips, parts his lips voluntarily, and Kai positively gasps at the sudden opportunity. He pulls away for a moment as if to stare at the beautiful face before him, smiles and closes in again. But before they can even begin to explore, the stage door opens sending a blast of cold air their way.

"Omigod! Get a room, please!" Krystal whines, not really all that scandalized. "Baekhyun you've got two minutes to tear yourself away from this man-eater here. Ms. Jung is going wild looking for you. You were supposed to be backstage five minutes ago! Hurry up and finish already!" She slams the door closed.

Kai and Baekhyun freeze in each others' arms, looking and laughing at the torn and amused expressions on their faces. Krystal opens the door again. "I didn't mean to 'finish' either. I meant to say 'hurry up and get inside here right now!' Okay?"

 


3,601 words

 

*sweats profusely* Well that's done. After my pseudo-writer's block putting chap 15 together, I basically completed the first full draft of this chapter just 24 hours later. Btw, the 'steamy' end here is a re-written version of an earlier scene I wrote for chap 13 and then didn't publish because a) it didn't fit there and b) I wrote it purely to tease my sister. But now I think it's fitting, and as the second make-out scene I've ever written, it's a whooole lot better than the first. Also, it fits the theme of this chapter: which is to say, Baekhyun is nobody's b***h. He gives as good as he gets.

Otherwise, major drama happened today - and guess what? The next chapter will be full of even more fabulous drama! I'm so excited. Finally the plot's starting to come together as I originally intended it to (16 chapters later heh).

Here's a slight confession: I think the few sentences comprising the Xiuhan makeup scene at the beginning of this chapter are basically the best things that I've ever written, period. Or at least they're my favorite thing above all.

*You can tell they're my OTP okay?* //heavyheavymopeysighs

Did I say more drama's coming up? Well that too, but on top of writing this whole chap yesterday I also wrote 2 other REALLY FLUFFY HILARIOUS Kaibaek scenes for upcoming chapters - Yes, I'm writing out of chronological order. But I got carried away the other day and started writing more shower scenes in my head, so yeah.. I already translated them into words. It's going to be fantastic. Just wait. A few more chapters. ;) Oh yeah, who's the tease now??

<3 Rosie