Three Weeks In

Between Spotlights

By Friday morning, Baekhyun has had a long week, and he knows his weekend will probably be too. And yet, he feels the call of an old friendship. It's why he doesn't allow himself to sleep in on his one morning off and heads south instead. He even offers to take Tao with him, but his roommate who's been so determined to not act depressed declines the invitation. For this reason, Baekhyun finds himself alone at barely 9:30 in the morning sitting on a park bench looking at an absurdly large commemorative arch of George Washington while he awaits his best friend's presence.

Chanyeol arrives not ten minutes later, half bouncing along the sidewalk while he shivers under his jacket. “Baekhyun!” he calls happily once they're close enough.

Baekhyun grimaces beneath his own fall season coat and forgos waving, since that would mean pulling his hands out of his pockets. Winter may not yet be upon them, but early mornings outdoors are still a bit frigid, and Baekhyun is a wimp. He'll be the first to admit it too. 

Through shivering teeth, he calls back. “Chanyeol... please explain why you're having us meet outside in a place like this?”

Chanyeol smiles apologetically. “Because... early morning class... and this is closer for me than my dorm?” 

“You have class this early? Wow, to be you.”

“I know,” Chanyeol agrees, and he sits down next to Baekhyun. They huddle side by side for a moment before Baekhyun realizes something is missing. 

“Uhm... Chanyeol?”

“Yeah?”

“Didn't you say you would feed me?”

“Oh yeah!” He pulls out his phone and hastily checks his messages. “Actually, I told Jongdae I was meeting you and he said he has this time off as well. He said he'd bring something for us to eat and meet up too. Is that okay?”

“Fine by me, as long as there's food.” And maybe coffee, Baekhyun thinks afterwards. Not that he likes the liquid, unless it comes from Kai. And, well not even then. He's just cold this morning.

Chanyeol hums to himself for a moment. Finally he asks, “So... how are you?” with a little grin on his face. 

Baekhyun assumes he probably means 'How are you and Kai' but instead he decides to play with him for a bit. Innocently, casually, he answers. “Good. Good. Busy. You missed Minzy, by the way. She was here last weekend.”

“Ahhh. That's... fun. Fun for you, I bet.”

“Yup.” Baekhyun smiles.

“Sooo, that's all that's been going on?”

“Basically.” 

Chanyeol chuckles, finally getting the game. He scratches his nose briefly, buries his hands beneath his jacket again. “So, just a lot of dance practice and stuff, and getting ready for more performances?”

“Yup, all that, and it's a lot of work. Oh and my roommate's had some drama, but he's okay even if it's a bit stressful to watch over.”

“I see... Uhm, so that's all? How is... you know?”

“How is who?” Baekhyun says, as if he is totally clueless about who Chanyeol is referring to.

Chanyeol laughs some more. “I see. Nothing nothing, don't mind me.” A few seconds later though he says, “So have you had with your boyfriend yet?”

Baekhyun nearly jumps out of his seat, aghast at the question, but it's not his own voice which nearly shrieks. Nor is it Chanyeol's.

“Uggghhh, guys... Are you seriously going to discuss right now? Because I can drop these bagels off and run away, if that's how it's going to go!” Jongdae hovers above them with a terrified scowl. In both hands swing two bags from a local bagel shop. Chanyeol roars with laughter and beckons Jongdae to sit down on his other side. “I'm serious though!” Jongdae declares.

“We're not.. We're not discussing anything,” Baekhyun insists with a pout. “Uhmm... well, hello again.” 

“Hi,” Jongdae deadpans.

“Hi.”

“Hey, food!” Chanyeol switches gears pretty fast when there's something edible involved.

Nobody talks about again while they eat their bagels. Of the bags Jongdae brought one of them included a couple coffees, not enough for each of them but Baekhyun steals about half of Chanyeol's when his friend isn't paying attention, and that is enough to keep him warm. Jongdae complains about his workload and the number of essays he has to write, and still hasn't. Chanyeol has less complaints about college, but his biggest grievance is that he still hasn't managed to score a real date with his TA.

“I'm pretty sure I've been friend-zoned,” he sighs.

None of this is new to Jongdae apparently, who snorts. “You've always been in the friend zone. Right now though you're just student-zoned, and you're too nice to actually make a move that'll get you out of that zone.”

“Yeah, but what if she doesn't actually like me at all that way? I could ruin everything. Baeeeeek, what do do I do?”

Baekhyun swallows his bite of bagel. “I don't know. I just went up and kissed Kai one day, and everything worked out alright.”

Chanyeol sighs. “But that's you, and you were probably sure he liked you at that point, right?”  Jongdae's eye twitches, but he doesn't react in any other way. “How long have you actually been dating, anyways?” Chanyeol continues.

Baekhyun pretends to think about it for a while. “Almost three weeks? Officially.”

“And you've known each other how long?” Chanyeol asks.

“Five years.”

Chanyeol sputters. “I mean like known known, not just 'saw each other around' known.”

“Ohh, ohh, so that's what you meant?” Baekhyun smiles cheekily. “About a month. But Kai's had a crush on me for five years! Why shouldn't that count?”

“Because, you didn't have a crush on him for five years?” Chanyeol tries to make sense of it.

“How do you know I didn't.”

Chanyeol laughs and sighs. “Because, Baek... whenever you have a crush on someone you never keep it a secret. You tell me within 0.6 seconds and then you whine and wail about it forever. Because, because basically I would have known.” He snickers. 

“Oh fine. Fine,” Baekhyun consents.

Jongdae empties his coffee cup and squishes it in his hand. “Three weeks, huh?” He whistles. “Well, good luck to you, buddy. I'd share some advice with you but... I don't know anything about guys so... I should head off. Got class in half in hour.” He picks up his things and starts strolling away.

“Thanks for breakfast,” Chanyeol calls, and Baekhyun nods readily.

“Thanks for nearly ruining my morning!” Jongdae calls back.

“You're welcome!” Baekhyun hollers.

Chanyeol snickers once more and Baekhyun leans back on the bench and grins. There's still quite a bit of that morning chill about, and he snuggles naturally into Chanyeol's side. The taller man protests, but finally gives up when he realizes there's no way to unlatch Baekhyun. He sighs heavily and lays one arm around him, like a light cocoon. “Just don't fall asleep on me now.”

“Mmmmm.. I won't.”

“But what if people see?” Chanyeol looks around the park and pretends to be scared.

“So? What is there to see?” 

“But what if Kai sees?”

Baekhyun laughs. “He's not around. And besides, he knows I'm a cuddler. Just let me nap, Chanyeol,” he whines.

“No.”

But Chanyeol doesn't enforce anything and Baekhyun lets go of the time and dozes. It feels like more but after what's probably not longer than a minute, Chanyeol disturbs him again.

“So, Kai is a good boyfriend?” he asks.

“Mmmm.”

“I take it, that's an affirmative?”

“MmmmMmmm.”

“So... that's a yes. Good.” Chanyeol grins. “Better than your other boyfriends?”

“Better than better. The best.”

“And you say this after only three weeks?” He chuckles lightly.

Baekhyun sits up and pouts. “A month! And for your information, it's been a long month. Really long, actually. Or at least it feels that way. I feel like I have known him for a lot longer.” He groans.

“What's the matter?”

“Ohhh, nothing. Seriously though. Why didn't he ever come and talk to me all those years ago. Think of all that wasted time! We could've been celebrating a five year anniversary by now!” 

“Possibly,” Chanyeol agrees, smirk in place. “But then again, five years ago you were bossy and bratty, and he may not have liked you then, so maybe you lucked out.” He winks evilly. 

Baekhyun smacks him on the arm, and Chanyeol winces painfully. Baekhyun smacks him again for good measure, then dodges Chanyeol's fake return attack. Baekhyun's aware that they are giggling and fighting like idiots in a public place, and that once upon a time Chanyeol was a way more self conscious teenager with a gay best friend. He's lucky really, to have a friend like him, and to have sustained that friendship over the years. Others might have forgotten him over time, but at least one thing stays the same. 

“Chanyeol...” he says, once again buried in the front of Chanyeol's jacket. “You're awesome. Get yourself a girlfriend and then we can go on a double date and then you can see how awesome Kai is.”

“I'm offended. I thought you just said I was awesome.”

“You're right. Forget the double date. With two such awesome guys around, you're bound to fall for him too and I can't have that. I won't! You won't take him from me!” 

Chanyeol laughs and looks around. More people are starting to fill the park, and he glances at his watch. 

“Do you have to go soon?” Baekhyun asks. 

“Yeah. Soon.”

“Okay...”

“Okay.”

“Just don't take my boyfriend,” Baekhyun insists.

Chanyeol sighs longingly. “Ohhhh, alright. I won't take your boyfriend. Though, I was seriously tempted!”

“Good.” Baekhyun sighs now, and he sits up and wraps his jacket tighter around his body. He leans back against the bench again and decides he likes this place. There's a fenced-in dog run across the way, and he doesn't know why but he can suddenly imagine Kai coming down here some morning with a pile of little animals and laughing as he chases them around. Maybe Baekhyun can see himself sitting on a bench like this watching Kai have fun, without a trace of stress on his gorgeous face. Just the two of them and some dogs and a whole string of strangers who don't really matter in the grand scheme of the world except to contribute as backdrops for Baekhyun's happy little scene.

“Good,” he repeats softly, contentedly, “Because I really, really like him.”

 

 

It's a mad dash up the stairs to the door of Baekhyun's apartment late that night. This Friday date night is fortunately turning out not as pricy as last weekend's, and Kai's pocketbook is happy. An easy deli dinner huddled together against a window-facing counter top and dessert cookies picked up from a convenience store around the corner. But it's cold, and Baekhyun is freezing, and he's been clinging awkwardly onto Kai for the whole last couple blocks, and Kai can barely hold it in.

“Hurry!” he cries when Baekhyun's keys fumble against the lock. The rush is making him twice as clumsy.

“I am hurrying!”

“Not fast enough though!” Kai paws at his back distractedly.

“Shut up and let me work!” Baekhyun finally turns the lock, and the click of release is like the sound of an angel's chorus straight out of heaven. He shoves himself through the door, nearly knocking Baekhyun over, and the paper bag with their cookies drops messily on the floor next to a pile of shoes. Baekhyun cries at the offense, but finally Kai is shooting past him making a bee-line for the bathroom. “Hope you make it in time!” Baekhyun taunts. A mumbled yell echoes through his now open bedroom door, and Baekhyun laughs. He cups his hands around his mouth for greater effect. “And this time don't knock over the shampoo! Tao nearly broke his ankle slipping on that clean floor last time you had to clean it up!”

“Okay!” 

Baekhyun snickers and retrieves the cookie bag from the floor. He eats three before he's even made it to the couch. On a whim he knocks on Tao's bedroom door to see if he's home, and when no one answers, he sneaks his head in. There's nobody home, and that's when he remembers Tao mentioning something earlier about possibly going out tonight.

He plops down on the couch and pulls out his phone, looking up a number he only added a couple weeks ago. 

 

Baekhyun: Hey, is Tao with you? 

 

He hits the send button, and without waiting for a reply he pops another cookie into his mouth. 

Kai comes out of the bathroom finally with slightly wet hands. 

“You're out of clean hand towels,” he says.

“I know. I'm out of clean everything, but I'm too lazy to go wash them. I hate laundry mats.” Kai flicks his hands at Baekhyun, and he flinches at the water droplets hitting his face. Or rather, his half-eaten cookie. “Hey! Mind the dessert!”

Kai drops into the sofa next to him and immediately crawls to Baekhyun's side, putting aside the plastic container with already half a row of missing cookies. “How'd you eat that many so quick?”

“I was hungry. And you were too slow.”

“I had to go to the bathroom!”

“Sounds like a personal problem.”

“Or rather, your problem. You just had to be clingy and mash on my bladder half the way home.”

“I was cold,” Baekhyun pouts softly.

“Hmph.”

Kai pops two cookies at once and pretends to ignore Baekhyun's scowls as the crumbs drop onto his lap and onto the cushions. Baekhyun's phone vibrates against the other side of his leg.

 

Sehun: Yeah he's with me. Why?

Baekhyun: Just checking. ;)

 

“Who is that, Tao?” Kai asks.

“Close enough. It's Sehun. Apparently they're hanging out tonight?”

 

Sehun: What's that winky for

 

“Ahh, I see.” Kai hums. “So are they gay now together, or just hanging out?” he jokes.

 

Sehun: We're just watching a movie at my place

Sehun: WITH Kyungsoo. In case you were wondering

Baekhyun: I didn't say anything...

Sehun: But you were thinking it...

Baekhyun: Is this your best I'm not gay speech? hehe

Sehun: Whatever

 

Kai follows along with the text conversation resting his chin on Baekhyun's neck until Baekhyun laughs and puts the phone aside. Now without distractions he's got Baekhyun all to himself. And the cookies. Kai loops his arms around the smaller body beside him, front arm crossing Baekhyun's stomach, and the other arm behind his back. He clasps his hands together along the other end of Baekhyun's waist and leans in. It's been a while since they were actually alone together and not in a public place. Baekhyun's sister put a damper on their personal time last weekend, and before that it was Sehun in their room the night Luhan blew up all over Minseok. Then there was the week before that when Baekhyun kissed him and left him alone on the couch for the night. 

Has it only been three weeks? He's wanted Baekhyun forever. How can it make sense that he's only belonged to him for such a short time. How is it even quantifiable? 

He presses a kiss to Baekhyun's cheek, testing the waters. Baekhyun doesn't move, and that suddenly stresses Kai out. With his boyfriend's eyes forward, and not on him, he at least expects Baekhyun to giggle or pull away, or do... something. Instead of sit there calmly while his cheek is kissed. Kai doesn't have a better plan though, so he tries it again, applying the same gentle pressure and for the same amount of time, just a couple seconds and then he pulls away. Just his head retreats, because he's scared of actually letting Baekhyun go. 

In profile now, he notices Baekhyun's closed eyes. And his slightly elevated breathing. Slowly, eyes opening up, Baekhyun turns his head towards him, and if this were a horror film Kai might be frightened, but this is Baekhyun and the burning look in his eyes sets his own insides on fire. 

Baekhyun says his name, softly, before he kisses him back. It's feather light and absolutely delicate and Kai wishes it would last longer, but his own urgency takes over and light touches can absolutely not cover this kind of need. He presses back hard until Baekhyun parts his lips, and Kai kisses him frantically until even Baekhyun has to pull apart. He smiles shyly and twists his neck around.

“Sorry, bad angle,” Baekhyun mutters. He's still sitting forward with his head turned sideways, but that's an easy enough fix from Kai's perspective. He uses the arms he's already got around Baekhyun's body as leverage and pulls him around and into his lap. Baekhyun easily spreads his knees over the other's thighs.

“Better now?” Kai asks with a smirk. He's got his hands wrapped low around Baekhyun's waist now. On the other hand Baekhyun now sits higher and he uses that to his advantage.

“Suppose it'll work...” Baekhyun teases. He smiles and then leans forward, a tiny ways down, to resume their kiss. Kai whines into it, returning it, but it takes every ounce of his resolve not to press his hips forward into Baekhyun's. They're already close, just not close enough, but without being given a hint of how far he can go, he refuses to risk it.

The answer comes when Baekhyun does the work for him. He rocks so slowly, so repetitively, that Kai almost doesn't realize it. Not until a hand snakes down the front of his chest, under his shirt, and slowly presses the skin above his waistband. 

He has to look. He can't not look. Kai knows what those hands are like, because he's seen them from every angle: in shadow, or in the sun, silhouetted against a stage light, or even just clasped palm to palm with Kai's own hands. He's seen them wrapped around a cup of coffee, water bottle, and door knob, threading through his hair, threading through Kai's hair, swinging limply by his side, or slicing through the air when he dances. But he's never seen Baekhyun fingers touching his skin like this before, and that thought nearly terrifies him.

Kai forgets to breathe, forgets to kiss back. His head is turned downward into his lap as he tries to contemplate how Baekhyun's hand can even fit in the space between their bodies. 

“Kai,” he hears a tiny voice calling out to him. “Kai, breathe.” The second time he hears it louder and he looks up for the source of it, into Baekhyun's loving face. Baekhyun delivers tiny pecks to his forehead and then to his eyes, and by the time he reaches his lips again Kai is relaxed.

“Tonight,” Baekhyun whispers. “Just tonight, will you let me do something?” The hand on his stomach begins to dig, inching deeper agonizingly slow by a hair's breadth as Kai starts to lose control all over again.

“Will you...” Baekhyun pants, “let me do something?” One finger sinks just below the top of Kai's jeans, and Kai nods, almost imperceptibly.

 


3,186 words

 

Before anyone asks, the written part of this scene is over. See you again tomorrow morning ;)

Well, this chapter was fun to write. I've been making self deadlines for myself on how many chapters it will take to finish it off, and I had a pretty good idea of how many it would take to complete plot, and then yesterday I suddenly thought, "Aww, but I miss Chanyeol. I think I'll cool off and take Baekhyun down to visit him."

Yeah, I'm never finishing this fic at this rate. And wow Baekhyun gets around. Cuddling with Yeolie in the morning and... this in the evening. :P

So.. Baekhyun's hands, huh? 

<3 Rosie

 

P.S. Leave feedback. Or else I might just withhold Baekhyun's hands from future occasions :P