10.

Friendship

Jessica's POV

"Aish! Where's that kiddo?! She didn't even answer her phone!" Jun Myeon mumble as he was trying to contact someone in the phone. I just stared at him "Why are you so aggitated today?" I ask. He just shook his head "Ahh nothing." He said but I sense he's lying. I just shrugged my shoulder and focus my attention to the one I reading.

"Sica, I'll go outside to buy some drinks. You want some?" Jun Myeon ask. "Yes, ah chocolate milk" I said while smiling at him. He salutes his hand "Yes boss! Your chocolate milk will be served right away!" He said as he stormed off in the room. I just chuckle. Jun Myeon never failed to make me smile.

I put the book on my lap and stared at the window. Tomorrow is my birthday and Taeyeon is not here which I find unusual for today. It's weekend today and she should be here. Aish! Jessica! You're just paranoid! Maybe Taeyeon's doing something so she is late today.

After a few minutes, Jun Myeon came with a plastic bags on his hand "Chocolate milk are now served, my princess" he said as he lend the chocolate milk for me. I chuckle "Yah! I am not a princess and this isn't a fairytale"

"Whoa, that's a line from the song of Taylor Swift's White Horse right?" he ask and I nod as an answer. He just chuckle and ruffle my hair "But for me, you are my princess in my fairytale" I pout but I can't help but to smile from what I heard. Sheesh! He's so corny and cheesy yet it's so romantic.

"Corny huh? By the way, where's Taeyeon? It's pretty unusual she's not here in this time?" I change the topic. 

"Ohh she said she's gonna be late for today because she's was asked by her mother to go to her aunt's house to deliver something. And she said she's gonna be here particularly by 5pm or 6" he said and he sit beside me. "Want to take a picture?" he ask. I just nod my head "Sure" then he take out his phone and we took a lot of pictures.

We laugh at our shots in picture because of our silly faces "Let's take a last one" Jun Myeon said as I agreed. He come closer to me "1..2..3..Kimchi!" 

"Wah, you're so pretty in this pic" he said while laughing. I prick his forehead "Yah! I am already pretty, you're forehead is so shiny in this pic" I said while laughing. We laugh out together. I will surely miss this guy.

 

It's already past 7pm and Taeyeon is not here in the hospital. I tried to contact Taeyeon's phone but she didn't answer it. I think she turn off her phone so I tried to contact at their home "Taeyeon? I though she's in the hospital?" her mother said. I was shocked when I learn Taeyeon isn't in her home so my worriness increase. "Aniyo, she isn't in the hospital. She said that she will in 5 or 6pm but she isn't here so I was thinking if she has gone home"

"Uhh maybe she's stuck because of the traffic. I send Taeyeon to her aunt's house which is quite far from Seoul" her mother said. Yeah maybe I am too paranoid. "Is that so? Thank you Mrs. Kim" I hunged up the phone and Jun Myeon approach me "What her mother says?"

"She isn't in her home. Maybe she was stuck in the traffic because her mother said that Taeyeon is quite far from Seoul right now" I said. 

"Yah don't be worried too much, maybe her mother is right. Or if so, maybe Taeng will be here by tomorrow. Can you smile for me, please?" he said. I just smiled at him. I think I am too just paranoid.

 

Two hours had passed and Taeyeon's isn't here at the hospital which made me feel worried but I tried my best not to think much of it. Jun Myeon's gone home for now because he said that he will do something in his house and the visiting curfew will be end soon.

I go down to my bed and drink some water wherein the glass are in the table in front of my bed. I was pouring the water in the glass when suddenly my hand slipped and the glass was shattered in the floor. I immediately pick up the pieces of the broken glass when suddenly -- "Ouch!" I check my index finger and it was bleeding. I know my finger didn't hit the sharp piece of the glass but it was bleeding greatly. 

I don't know but there's a strange feeling that I feel. I suddenly remember Taeyeon. "Waah! Unnie! Your finger is bleeding! Wait, i'll fix it" Krystal said as she come closer to me. My mom and dad are both in their work and they will be here an hour later. Krystal pulled out a band aid and put it in my finger. "I'll pick this broken glass Unnie you can take a rest now" she said as she pick up the pieces of the glass.

"Krystal, did you see Taeyeon in her home?" I ask. She shook her head "No, I didn't, I go to their house to earlier to bring back the book that I borrowed then her mother said that she isn't in her home" she said. I felt nervous and anxious when I heard what Krystal said.

She didn't come by 6pm and when I call her mom, by the time of 7pm. She said she isn't in her home. I grab my phone and dialed Mrs. Kim's number "Yeoboseyo, Mrs. Kim. Is Taeyeon there?" I ask.

"Aniyo, is she there in the hospital? It's already late and I am worried at her. I can't reach her to the phone" she said and I felt really nervous. She isn't in her home?

"Mrs. Kim, Taeyeon is not here nor she didn't came." those words come out in my mouth. "Oh no! I think something happened!" By that time, I feel paranoid. I don't know but my mind tells me that somethings bad happened towards to Taeyeon.

I jolt down to the stairs and I heard Stalie's voice "Unnie! Where are you going?! You aren't allowed to run!" I just ignore her and continue running down to the ground floor. When I was near at the door, there's a full of doctors and nurses rushing towards to the emergency room while they're pushing the stretcher. I didn't see the person whose lying in the stretcher but it seems he was hit by an accident. I look at the floor and there were blood trails left. I take a glance to the emergency room and I saw that she is a girl but I didn't see her face. There are full of scars in her body. I ignore the commotion in the emergency room and I run down to find Taeyeon but suddenly I felt again the excruating pain in my chest. It was so burning hot and I felt my heart clenched tight like a fist.

I can't breathe. I can't take it anymore. Is is the end? Is this the time to leave? Please God, give me a little time to said goodbye. Especially to Taeyeon.

My vision went dark.

 

I wake up and I saw Taeyeon smiling at me. Ehh? Why is she here? Did she come? Wait I think I fainted a while ago. I check the surroundings and I see the nature's beauty because I saw the trees, the sky blue sky, and the clear water in the side. Am I in the Han River? But a while ago I was in hospital? 

"Taeyeon! Why are you here?! And why are you so late?! You're parents are worried for you! C'mmon Let's go home now!" I said while I grab Taeyeon's wrist but she didn't move. She was still smiling at me. "Yah! Don't smile like an idiot and let's go home now! Your parents are waiting for you!" I shout but she didn't flinch nor move. She still smiling.

"Taeng! What's wrong with you?!" I ask. "Jessica.." at last! Taeyeon speak up. But I sensed that somethings wrong to her. She seems so sad as her eyes saying it "I-i am so sorry Taeyeon, I didn't mean to shout you--"

"It's okay" she cut me off and I bite my lower lip. "Happy birthday Jessica" she said while a faint smile plastered on her face. Is it already April 18? I didn't realize that. "Thanks" I said.

"By the way, I have a gift for you" she said.

"Really?"

She came closer to me and held my cheeks "Yes but I will give it to you as soon as I leave" wait? What? Is she leaving? But why? 

"Ehh? Where are you going? When will you coming back?" 

Her smile didn't fade "It's a secret and I don't know when will I come back but I think.." she paused then she close her eyes. She muttered something which I didn't heard it clearly "It will be forever"

"Ahh? What are you saying? I can't hear you!"

She open her eyes and look straight on me "Listen, I want to say thank you for the memories, for being with me and for being a best friend. Even though I have flaws on me, you still accept for who I am. Thank you and remember, You will be always in my heart even though I am gone. You will always be. Thank you Jessica, my life isn't that perfect and full of mistakes but you made me experience the happiness of life. It was a wonderful experience. I love you Jessica, Always and forever. My best friend" I felt my tears are gonna fall off.

I tried to hold it back and tried to laugh "W-what are you saying? Funny.. cut the drama Taeng, you can call Jun Myeon if you have a surprise for me" I said in a hoarse voice while trying to force a laugh.

She didn't flinch or react "By the way, take care the gift that I will giving to you. Treasure it arraseo? and I want to say sorry. I am truly sorry Jessica." why is it Taeyeon's apologizing to me? She didn't do something that makes me mad.

"Ehh? I don't understand you"

She smile "You will. Goodbye Jessica" she turn her back and run far from me. I run as fast I could be I can't reach her "Taeyeon! Yah Taeyeon! Why are you saying those words to me?! Where are you going?! Taeyeon-ahh!" then I didn't reach her because of a light that blinded me.

 

After the light fades, I opened my eyes and I saw the familiar surroundings. I am here at the hospital lying down again. I turned around and I saw my family including Jun Myeon and there's a happy expression plastered on their faces "Jessica!" they said as they come closer to me.

"Ehh? What happened? I remember that I was in the door of the hospital" I said. They didn't answer my question instead they are smiling at me "Happy birthday Jessica!" they said. Ehh? It's my birthday today? 

I look up in the calendar hanging near at my side and I saw it was April 18. Jun Myeon and Krystal holding a strawberry cake with candles on the top as they started to sing a birthday song for me. I feel warm because I reached my birthday. I know my lifespan was too short but I can't believe it. It felts so heartwarming.

"Make a wish Unnie" Krystal said. I smile at them and closed my eyes. I wish they will be not sad if I were gone and I blew the candles as I wish. They clapped their hands "Congratulations! By the way Jessica, We have a good news for you" mom said.

"What is it?"

They look at each other and "They found a potential heart donor!" my eyes widened when I heard those words. "Really?" I ask and they nod. 

Omo! I think my prayers has been answered! Thank you God and you gave me a second chance to live! I want to shout for the joy I felt.

"Yah! Don't cry! It might be bad for you heart" dad said. I hug them and the others join.

I am really happy.