Ninth

Nil Desperandum

It took 15 minutes for Chanyeol to appear again on the hospital. He took the elevator to the seventh floor and ran to Baekhyun’s room direction. He found Yifan sitting on one of the waiting stools outside the room, with his head on his hands. Chanyeol approached Yifan slowly while trying to catch his breath, and at that moment he could hear the sound inside of the room. He didn’t bother to ask Yifan what was happening and headed to the room in a second. He saw two nurses were holding Baekhyun to stay still while a doctor was trying to make the boy calm. Baekhyun was screaming for them to let him go while the tears running down his face. The image broke Chanyeol’s heart incredibly.

 

Chanyeol swiftly replaced the doctor’s role by placing his grips on Baekhyun’s upper arms and gave the two nurses the signal to leave. Although the three of them were reluctant, but Chanyeol reassured them that he would handle Baekhyun just fine. When the figures had disappeared behind the door, Chanyeol soften his grips on Baekhyun. Baekhyun had his eyes shut close and small whispers like ‘please let me go’ and ‘don’t hurt me’ were spoken past from his trembling lips. He was still crying so Chanyeol used his thumbs to wipe the tears that were painting Baekhyun’s flushed face. Baekhyun who realized the sudden change of atmosphere, slowly opened his eyes only to meet a pair of big brown eyes that he had grown accustomed to. Chanyeol smiled when Baekhyun was fully aware of his presence and removed the remaining tears on Baekhyun’s face.

 

“I won’t hurt you I promise. But I can’t let you go, you know.”, Chanyeol joked while settling himself sitting on the edge bed. Baekhyun only looked at Chanyeol with a blank look and when his sense recollected he instantly hid his face in embarrassment, though he couldn’t do that properly since his cheeks were still cupped by Chanyeol big hands. Chanyeol chuckled and brought himself closer to Baekhyun. “You okay?”, he asked and his breath ghosted on the tip of Baekhyun’s nose. Baekhyun nodded weakly and put a convincing smile. “Good then.”, Chanyeol replied and let go of Baekhyun’s face. Baekhyun let out a sigh that he didn’t even know he had been holding but slightly dissatisfied when Chanyeol let him go, because Baekhyun felt ease when Chanyeol was near.

 

Then Baekhyun wish was granted when Chanyeol placed his hands back, but this time on Baekhyun’s shoulders then made him slowly lay down on the bed. When Baekhyun had lied back, Chanyeol patted his head and smiled. “Don’t scare me like that again, okay?”, Chanyeol said. “I j-just, I d-don’t know who they are a-and you weren’t around and I wa-as scared. What if they tried to kill me or poison me? I ju--”, Baekhyun’s words were cut off when Chanyeol pressed his thumbs on Baekhyun’s lips. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol who has this motherly expression on his face and it made him confused. “No, they aren’t bad guys. They are the ones who save people’s life including yours, and the thick eyebrow guy is just like me, a cop. You don’t have to be afraid. I was gone for a while to take a bath because I was kind of dirty and I don’t want to have you to faint out on me because of my smell.”, Chanyeol said jokingly. Baekhyun then smiled a little at Chanyeol’s try to make him better, he was thankful for that. “But, don’t leave me again.”, Baekhyun said childishly. Chanyeol chuckled at how silly Baekhyun could be and ruffled his hair.

 

“Now, it’s almost a day since you have slept. Hungry?”, Chanyeol asked. “Yes, I am.”, Baekhyun answered. “I told you to be comfortable with me. We are friends of the same age.”, Chanyeol said. “Oh, right. So, okay.”, Baekhyun answered. Chanyeol was very amused at the awkwardness Baekhyun had in him. He smiled to himself then stood up. “I’m going to grab your food since the hospital meal has turned cold now. Anything in mind?”, Chanyeol asked. “Uhm, do you think they have chicken soup here?”, Baekhyun asked. “Uuh, I don’t know. But I’m sure they have kimchi soup.”, Chanyeol said. “Kimchi soup’s fine.”, Baekhyun said with a grateful smile. “Okay, let me check the cafeteria. If they have chicken soup, I will definitely take it for you. I’m locking the door so nobody can get in. I’ll be right back.”, Chanyeol said. Baekhyun smiled approving and Chanyeol walked out of the room heading to the canteen.

 


 

I mean, what should we do if he pushed people away like that? We can’t have you to take care of him all the time, right?”, Yifan started the conversation as the two took the elevator to the 3rd floor. Chanyeol sighed, “I can just take my stuffs later and then stay at the hospital till he is allowed to get out.” “Wow, I really don’t know what to say. I mean, this is our group’s duty. You supposedly don’t work alone.”, Yifan reasoned. “But I’m okay with that. I don’t mind. Really.”, Chanyeol assured him with a smile as he approached the nearby stall.

 

Fortunately they got chicken soup there and Chanyeol got a bokkeumbab for himself then headed back to Baekhyun’s room. Yifan followed him closely from behind, although he was tired for being up since noon, he still didn’t find it comfortable to return home and pass all the responsibilities to Chanyeol. He didn’t feel at ease, so in the end he made up a schedule for every one of the member to come every single day in a certain time so that Chanyeol wouldn’t feel alone.

 

Chanyeol turned the lock off and pushed the door to Baekhyun’s but then he caught the sight of a vacant bed with tousled bed sheet. By instinct Chanyeol ran to the window and saw neither open window nor shattered glasses around. He panicked and he instantly dropped the plastic bag he was holding. He was going to ask Yifan to help him find Baekhyun when he heard a small muffled whine from the bathroom. He cursed himself in his mind because he didn’t even remember checking the small bathroom.

 

He rushed to the bathroom and found Baekhyun under the sink sitting awkwardly with puffy cheeks and red eyes. Chanyeol then sighed the breath he had been holding and walked slowly to Baekhyun, afraid of scaring him. He crouched down in front of Baekhyun and asked, “Okay now, do you mind telling me what you’re doing here, princess?” Baekhyun sniffled a little before answering Chanyeol, “I went to pee but when I was going to go back my legs suddenly gave up. I can’t get up.” Chanyeol chuckled then used his shirt sleeve to wipe Baekhyun’s strained cheeks. He put his hands under Baekhyun’s arms and helped him standing up. He led Baekhyun back to the bed and Chanyeol inwardly smiled because Baekhyun looked so adorable.

 

After putting Baekhyun back on the bed, he took a stool and dragged it to the side of the bed. He picked up the dropped package and relieved when he saw that the food was not wasted. He took out the plastic bowl and served it for Baekhyun, while he took his meal and began eating. They ate in a comfortable silence flooding around them and the addition of occasional glances between the two. When Baekhyun finished, Chanyeol took both of their dishes and threw it away.

 

“Do you want to watch something?”, Chanyeol asked. “I guess.”, Baekhyun replied. Chanyeol turned the television on and scrolled through the channels. There were no good programs so he settled on watching a drama Chanyeol wasn’t sure the title of. The drama was on its play but neither of them really concentrated on the screen, they were too occupied with their own thoughts. It was until Chanyeol broke the status, “Hey, you know, another time you should wait for me to do something especially the things that include you getting out from the bed. I would love to help you, don’t be hesitant because I really don’t want to find you getting hurt. Do you understand?” He said those in a very stern yet gentle voice that Baekhyun found himself nodded voluntary. “Good then. Now, your turn. Tell me what you’re thinking about. People say that voicing out your worries will lessen your stress. Come on, I’m here to help you. I will be a good listener.”, Chanyeol said again knowing Baekhyun was having some emotional battle in that pretty head of his. Baekhyun just stared straight through Chanyeol’s eyes and he felt like Chanyeol did really care. He wanted to scream his pain and his longing and his weariness so loud that the whole Seoul citizen could hear him, but he still felt insecure of having people judging him. He knew that Chanyeol wouldn’t judge him or it was what he wanted to believe but he didn’t want to talk about it now. He didn’t want to rewind the wounds and the consequences of remembering them.

 

Chanyeol waited Baekhyun who was just boring a hole into the wall behind Chanyeol with a creepy smile that Baekhyun thought was so endearing. “Hug me.”, Baekhyun suddenly said made Chanyeol wondered if he heard him right. Then Baekhyun repeated the same command, “Hug me.” This time a bit louder for Chanyeol to be sure and they both locked eyes. Chanyeol was searching Baekhyun’s eyes for the answer why, but he only found sadness and loneliness, so without further thinking he closed the distance between them. Chanyeol put his arms around Baekhyun’s small form while Baekhyun fisted the front of Chanyeol’s shirt.

 

It was 10 seconds later when Baekhyun started crying and shaking in Chanyeol’s embrace. Being unaware of Baekhyun’s inner thoughts, Chanyeol just held him tighter and Baekhyun’s back. Chanyeol kept whispering the magic spells ‘it’s okay’,‘you’re okay’ and ‘everything’s okay’ on Baekhyun’s left ear.

 


 

 

 

 

Author's Note ► so hello again. and sorry for not updating for a long time. hihi. not much saying from me this time. hope you enjoy ^^

谢谢, ありがとうございます, 고마워요, merci, ขอขอบคุณที่คุณ, thank you