Sixth

Nil Desperandum

Yifan had told his team about the duty, it was to find the mafia boss’ child named Byun Baekhyun and protect him from the other enemy group that was trying to get this child for whatever he had. At first, when they saw this Byun Baekhyun kid’s photo, they didn’t believe that he was the same age as Chanyeol because he looked so cute and baby-like, and Chanyeol didn’t know why but he felt sorry for this boy. He was barely 19 and being alone in the street wasn’t something easy at all.

 

When Chanyeol and his team got this news, Baekhyun had been missing for 2 days, and it had been 4 days already and the trainee cops hadn’t got anything.

 

Chanyeol was sulking behind the team shared desks, he had no information at all and he didn’t know where to start. He mentally groaned and whined every now and then, didn’t really know what to do at that time.

 

When the trainee cops’ minds were wandering around anywhere, Yixing just came back from some duty outside. He saw the four with gloomy clouds above them and he instantly smiled. He approached their desks and they realized it was all too late for them to fix their images, but Yixing knew the matter of fact that the duty was difficult, he just had his own reason for giving them that task.

 

Yixing took a seat beside the nervous Luhan who was still standing, not like Jongin and Yifan who immediately sat right after Yixing sat. Although hesitant, Chanyeol followed Yifan and Jongin and sat across Yixing. They were all nervous and scared of what Yixing was going to say, but Yixing just smiled and started his words, “I know the job is hard, don’t be so pressured, really. Try to relax a bit, the time will come. I trust you, and I know you have done your best. Cheer up a little bit guys.” After he finished his encouraging speech, he stood up and patted Luhan’s shoulder. Little did Yixing know, his gestures weren’t helping them at all, but pressuring them more because of the trust that they had just gained.

 


 

Baekhyun was wandering near a river, he didn’t know what river is that or how long the river was but he decided to walk along the end of the river. Half of his way, he felt his legs gave up, having not eaten anything proper for almost 5 days plus being crashed by wind and rain, he could faint right there and then. He had drunk some water from street or dug food on trashes, although he always felt crying when he was doing that, he had no other option to stay alive.

 

He spotted a park and decided to stop there. He found a bench that was drenched with rain drops. He positioned himself in a curling ball and he sighed some breathes. He closed his eyes tightly and listened to the voices around him. It was late and the park was empty, he could only hear the wind harassing his fragile body and the echoes inside his head. He didn’t believe that he was experiencing that cruel reality. Just a week ago, he was all fine, chatting with Sehun and mocking Tao’s unique accent. He never thought that today he was going to be dead. Baekhyun counted from 1 to 100, waiting for the grim reaper to kindly take his soul away. He had no intention of running away anymore, he just felt like choosing to die and get away from this hell he was living in.

 


 

Chanyeol and his fellows got home late that night, they didn’t even do anything but they just wanted to spend the rest of the day drowning together. They just didn’t want to feel down alone. On his way home, Chanyeol kept questioning himself why the hell he hadn’t inherited some skills from his father. He should have got something by now, no clue at all, like what the hell?

 

When he reached his driveway, he didn’t immediately go out from his car. He stayed in the car, put his head on the steering wheel, inhaled and exhaled for some times. He decided he didn’t want to go home, he started his car engine again and pulled out to the park.

 

He parked the car near the park entrance door and walked aimlessly, following the jogging track route. He inhaled some fresh air and let himself calm down. It was something he usually did when he wasn’t in a clear state of mind. It helped him to just forget about everything but to be thankful of the oxygen he still had.

 

He was almost reached the end of the jogging track when he caught a sight of someone crouching on one of the park benches. He walked towards the body but was hesitant to at least ask him if he was okay.  As Chanyeol got closer the figure turned around and winced in pain. Hearing the sound of pain came out from the man, Chanyeol rushed to his side and cowered over him.

 

“Hey, you okay there?”, Chanyeol said in a low voice, not wanting to surprise the man. But the body didn’t move at all but winced louder this time. “I’m a police. I’m sure there’s something I can do for you. Let me help you.”, said Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol wasn’t sure, but as soon as the word ‘police’ came out from his mouth, the man opened his eyes so big and quickly sat up. He was ready to walk away but Chanyeol was fast to grab the man. The man winced again and Chanyeol loosened his grip just a bit. “Hey, I’m not going to hurt you. Are you lost or something? Tell me your address and I’ll take you home.”, Chanyeol tried again. The man then turned his body and faced Chanyeol and then Chanyeol realized that the man before him was the Byun’s son. Byun Baekhyun. The missing boss mafia’s son. The task. His task.

 

“Byun Baekhyun.”, Chanyeol said loudly. Baekhyun stared wide-eyed at Chanyeol and he started to wriggle out of Chanyeol’s grip. “Let me go. Please let me go. I know nothing, please.”, Baekhyun pleaded as Chanyeol didn’t let go his arm. Chanyeol examined Baekhyun’s body and saw his left leg was limping. He also noticed the dirt on his face, hair, clothes, pants and wait, he didn’t have his shoes on.

 

Baekhyun sobbed silently, hoping this tall guy would let him go. He didn’t trust police, not when most of gangs members are police. He knew it because Joonmyun once was a police too.

 

Chanyeol then released his grip on Baekhyun’s arm and quickly put his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder, he didn’t give Baekhyun any chance to run away. “Look, I’m here not to do any harm to you. I’ll save you, I’ll protect you. We knew the matters and we are assigned to help you. It’s just luck that makes me found you here. Now, please just trust me and you’ll be safe. I promise.”, Chanyeol said.

 

After a long silence, Baekhyun slowly lifted his head and met Chanyeol’s. He could see the sincere written on the other’s eyes. Baekhyun stiffly nodded and Chanyeol broke into a wide, wide, wide grin. He always at convincing people so when Baekhyun was silent for a moment, he thought that Baekhyun was just planning an escape plan.

 

Chanyeol took Baekhyun’s cold hand and carefully but surely led him outside the park towards Chanyeol’s car. Chanyeol held Baekhyun’s hand firmly but softly because Baekhyun was looked so fragile that Chanyeol thought Baekhyun could break anytime. Baekhyun let himself being led out of the park, he didn’t care if this tall guy was a good or bad guy. Although he wanted to survive, he also wanted to get out from this complicated runaway, he would do anything even if he had to die.

 


 

 

 

 

Author's Note ► Hey guys, I'm sorry for breaking my promise to update regularly, but exams papers and assingments get me so busy, I barely had the time to update. You guys all probably know the heartbreaking news that is happening in our fandom, and i know that you guys are depressed, so despite all projects i take my time to update this to at least make you less stressed because chanbaek has met! xixixi, dont be to down guys, let's hope for a better day when yifan will shine brighter than now, respect his decision because his life is not ruled by us, it's his life. myself can't imagine how much it will hurt when i see only eleven members on the stage. i feel you guys, we are on this together. but face it positively and smile ^^ my readers are the best when they are smiling. i love you guys. #WeBeliveInYouKris #WeLoveYouKris #WeAreOne #StayStrongEXO

btw this is not edited, i just copied it from the word and i didn't have time to edit because rn i'm busy typing this a/n. lol.

谢谢, ありがとうございます, 고마워요, merci, ขอขอบคุณที่คุณ, thank you.