Thirteen

Nil Desperandum

Baek!”, Chanyeol screamed through the fabric of the comforter that covered Baekhyun fully. He heard muffled sounds as the reply and groaned loudly. It’s been almost half an hour for Chanyeol to wake Baekhyun up. “Come on, I need to see you eating your breakfast first before I’m off to work.”, Chanyeol explained.

 

After more whines Baekhyun decided to spare Chanyeol and uncovered himself from his cocoon. Chanyeol grinned widely seeing Baekhyun had given up, but no, Baekhyun took a grip of Chanyeol shirt and pulled him down settling before Baekhyun. Baekhyun giggled out loud then hugged Chanyeol hand, preparing to sleep again. “Baeeeekkkkkk.”, Chanyeol desperately watched Baekhyun clinging to his arm like a koala. Although Chanyeol was troubled with Baekhyun’s morning habits, but he just couldn’t get enough it, in fact he always anticipated what surprise the morning had prepared for him. He took a glance – glances – at Baekhyun satisfied goofy smile and found himself smiling too. He raised a finger and poked Baekhyun nose, making Baekhyun scrunched his nose cutely and purred against Chanyeol hand.

 

“You know, as long as I want to stay here all day doing nothing and just laying here, I can’t. Come on, Baek. Have a mercy on me. I’ll be late to work and they will fire me. You don’t want that, do you?”, Chanyeol tried again. Baekhyun then opened his eyes before batting his eyelashes and tilted his head. “Don’t be silly. You won’t be fired just because you’re late.”, Baekhyun reasoned. “Actually I possibly will because I’ve been late 3 times this week.”, Chanyeol replied and – unwillingly – setting himself free from Baekhyun. Baekhyun then shifted a little and jumped on his feet and started making his way to the kitchen, mumbling “okay” as he walked.

 

Baekhyun in mushed bed hair, tousled oversized t-shirt and bare legs were too much for Chanyeol to handle. But remembering the time he had left, he walked to Baekhyun, ruffled his messy hair then walked past him, sending Baekhyun a-too-happy goodbye and disappeared behind the front door.

 

Baekhyun then slowly made his way to the kitchen table and took a seat on one of the stools. He stared at the toast for a while before he started to dig his meal. The meal was great and then he went to the refrigerator and opened a bottle of soda. He burped a little and caressed his belly satisfyingly. Then when he almost closed the refrigerator door, he saw the calendar on it. There was a big yellow star decorating the number of 27. And he knew directly that it was going to be Chanyeol’s birthday soon. Just three more weeks.

 


 

Hey Chan.”, Kris greeted him when he just entered his workplace. “Hey to you too. Any case for today?”, Chanyeol asked while taking his seat across Kris’. “Haven’t been informed yet.”, Kris said. “Okkayy, I wish for no more job. I’m aging.”, Chanyeol said. “The Byun kid? Why? Is he that troublesome?”, Kris asked. “No, he’s not even a trouble, but he is such a tease.”, Chanyeol said as he put his head on his hands. “Whoa, look like there’ll be a celebration soon.”, Kris playfully said. “Oh, shut it you.”

 

Just then Luhan came in and took a glimpse of his fellow workers. “Oh, Chanyeol. Yixing was looking for you.”, Luhan said. “Oh? Okay. Shoot.”, Chanyeol said as he started to stand up.

 

He knocked on Yixing’s door and heard a “come in” from inside. He opened the door slightly and peeked a little before opening the door wider for him to fit through. Yixing was behind his desk, looking all too nervous and full of hesitation, but when he made contact with Chanyeol’s eyes, he immediately smiled. “Hey, Chanyeol, come sit.”, Yixing offered.

 

Chanyeol took a seat right in front of Yixing and that frown came up again. Chanyeol could tell that something was bothering Yixing but he didn’t want to push Yixing, so after a long silence, Yixing finally spoke up.

 

“You know Chanyeol, I was once made a mistake. A very beautiful mistake and I’m happy for making that.”, Yixing started. Chanyeol didn’t understand what the hell Yixing was trying to tell him. Is this sort of an open-your-heart session or what? But Yixing continued anyway, “So, I met this guy. Actually, I was kind of tracking him down. He was the boss of a mafia mob, but despite that fact, he was so sweet and gentle and when I was so close to catch him, I couldn’t even lift my gun. And that time, he realized he received an intruder and in a second there were 5 men in black suits protecting him and aiming their gun at me, I was so ready to be killed and prepared myself from any pain, but instead he told his men to take my gun and let me alone. I was so shocked but relieved. And you might not believe me, but he invited me for a coffee. I was suspicious at first, I thought he would put something in my drink or sort of, but actually he invited me to get coffee outside. Since then and on, we started to hang out, I’m not sure why but mostly I think it was because we enjoyed each others’ company.”

 

“Then we started dating, although I had a very difficult task to keep my relationship as secret as possible, but in the end, my supervisor started to notice my frequent meetings with the mafia boss. I was so afraid of being caught and decided to slowly walked away on him. I think it would be so easy, but I found myself everyday missing him more and more. I hadn’t heard anything from him for almost 3 months, but then one day I was told that he was dying after being attacked by the other mafia mob. I rushed to him, hoping to be able to at least catch his last breath. But I was too late, and that is the only thing I regret from knowing him. He left me only a note saying I had to take care of someone, then nothing.”

 

Chanyeol watched as Yixing’s face turned bitter and he bet the crybaby side of Yixing was going to show its appearance. It was awkward for Chanyeol, if you’re wondering. First, Chanyeol didn’t know what Yixing was telling him. Second, he really didn’t understand who was who in Yixing’s story. Third, he didn’t quite catch the reason Yixing was story-telling him. And last, he really wasn’t good in comforting a crying person. So he just sat there, looking at Yixing who was going to breakdown anytime, boring a hole through the wall behind Yixing and lazily fiddling with his fingers on his lap. But surprisingly, Yixing didn’t cry. He inhaled a long breath then looked at Chanyeol right in the eye. “And Chanyeol, I hope you don’t make the mistake as I do.”, Yixing said.


Chanyeol cocked his head, he still didn’t understand anything. But instead of explaining, he continued, “The guy I’ve been talking to you named Joonmyun.” Ah, Joonmyun, know at least I know his name, but wait, the name sounds familiar. ”And he was the replacement of the previous boss. The previous boss that was killed by his partner? Ring a bell?”, Yixing asked. “AH! You’re talking about Byun right?”, Chanyeol excitedly answered because, thank GOD, he finally didn’t feel so stupid as before. “Yeah, and you can link my story, that Joonmyeon asked me to take care of Baekhyun, right? But now it’s you who is taking care of him.” Right, that explains Yixing’s tears and frustration on the day when I found Baekhyun. Chanyeol nodded.

 

“Now Chanyeol, as what I’ve promised you before. I’ve been searching through the cases and found the one who killed your father.”, Yixing said. Chanyeol ears perked up and through gritted teeth said, “my father and my mother to be exact.” “Actually Chanyeol, your mother case is not related to this at all, don’t be so hateful Chanyeol, you have to accept the reality."

 

“Yeah, but if he hadn't killed my father, my mother wouldn’t have to feel so desperate and sad that led her to her own death.”, Chanyeol said, he clenched his fist till his knuckles turned white. “Okay, whatever you want Chanyeol, since I’ve promised you, I’m gonna tell you who it is. BUT! Please, I’ve done you a favor and you have to return me a favor. You have to take care of Baekhyun seriously, because I am not able to. You are my only hope. Do you understand Chanyeol?”, Yixing asked. “Even without you asking me to, I will always gladly take care of him, you know. Now, please don’t change the topic. Who is it?”, Chanyeol asked.

 

“Byun.”, Yixing replied shortly, not meeting Chanyeol’s eyes.

 

“I’m sorry if this sounds rude but I’m not in the mood to-”, Chanyeol sentence was left unspoken and he immediately stood up. Bowed a little to Yixing who still looked at anything but Chanyeol, and quickly walked out of the room. He went to his shared table, grabbed his jacket and car keys. his heels, ignoring the shouts from Kris and Jongin. He even bumped with Luhan on the lobby and ran as fast as he could from there before Luhan could ask anything.

 

His mind was anywhere else, he didn’t even know where he was heading to. He surely didn’t want to go home, but he didn’t know where else to go. So he let his hands and his legs to lead him to somewhereland.

 


 

 

 

 

Author's Note ► hello, i just updated yesterday, i know youre not expecting me to update again today huh? me neither. idek how i update this. but here it is. hope you guys like it kayy? :d please leave a comment, i want to know what you guys think about my story. i always reply to comment. im not that arrogant. lol. okayyyy, soo its nearing 12 soon, i have to be asleep rn. i love you guys all soo sooo sooooooo much.

谢谢, ありがとうございます, 고마워요, merci, ขอขอบคุณที่คุณ, thank you.