Third

Nil Desperandum

It was already late, Baekhyun heard the footsteps outside the main door and the sound of the door was clicked open. He knew that Joonmyun just arrived. He took a glance at the bedside clock, it was 1 in the morning. Joonmyun had been coming home late these days, and Baekhyun realized this was happening after the night Baekhyun saw the sad-eyed Joonmyun.

 

He stood up from the bed and went out his bedroom. He headed to Joonmyun’s room and knocked on the door. “Joonmyun hyung? Can I come in?”, Baekhyun asked. Now he wondered to himself why was he bothered to knock when usually he just barged in like he was who own the house. “No, go to sleep Baekhyun. I’m tired.”, Joonmyun replied, and Baekhyun could hear the tiredness from Joonmyun’s voice. But Baekhyun wanted to know what has happened all these days, why had Joonmyun been so worn out, and why hadn’t he been told about anything.

 

He opened the door anyway and went in the room, but the sight he saw when he entered brought such a familiar feeling. There Joonmyun on the floor, lied on his back, his hair was messy and his breath was uneven, but the thing that caught his eyes was the red stains on Joonmyun’s shirt. “Hyung?! Are you okay? Hyung!”, Baekhyun  rushed to Joonmyun’s side. “Hyung!”, Baekhyun yelled in panic as Joonmyun didn’t move at all.

 

“I told you not to come in.”, Joonmyun said and he slowly sat up. He used his remaining energy just for Baekhyun so he wasn’t freaked out too much. “I’m still alive.”, Joonmyun said and Baekhyun exhaled the breath he had held in. Before Baekhyun could say anything more, Joonmyun had motioned Baekhyun to shut up and got up from the floor.

 

Baekhyun helped Joonmyun got on the bed then took a wet towel to clean up Joonmyun’s body. As Baekhyun was cleaning the blood on Joonmyun’s hand and stomach, Joonmyun started to tell the story. The whole story from the beginning to the very end. To the end that explained why did Joonmyun come back in this situation. During the story, Baekhyun was shocked and surprised so many times, he didn’t believe every single thing about what Joonmyun told him, but this was the reality he had been seeking.

 

After an hour or so, Joonmyun’s body was cleaned enough, he had changed a new pair of clothes and the blood had stopped going out. Baekhyun found a bullet on Joonmyun’s shoulder and many cuts on his body. Baekhyun had begged Joonmyun to go to the hospital right now, but Joonmyun insisted that he was tired and had no energy left to even move. So Baekhyun just let him be after Joonmyun had promised to go to the hospital soon after he woke up.

 


 

That night, Baekhyun slept with Joonmyun. He was afraid if Joonmyun suddenly felt pain or if he needed help, but that night Baekhyun couldn’t really sleep. He was still shocked by the reality he had been told and by the fact that Joonmyun was now hurt. He didn’t know what to do, yet he didn’t even know what to think anymore. Everything was just so confusing and unbelievable.

 

Then suddenly a sound of breaking glass echoed in his ears. Baekhyun jerked up and suddenly felt afraid. He looked at his side and saw Joonmyun was still sleeping peacefully. Baekhyun heard another sound of glass broken, and he realized that maybe his window had been broken by someone. At the sound of second broken glass, Joonmyun had his eyes widened in a second. He quickly sat up but later he hissed because of the pain on his body. Joonmyun looked to side and found a terrified Baekhyun, then Joonmyun’s head span like an earthquake. He told to himself that this wasn’t happening.

 

Another sound was heard again, but this wasn’t a sound of glass, they heard gunshot which was followed by a voice. “Kim Joonmyun, a stupid guy who think that he can save Byun. I’ll prove you that you’ve been wrong all this time.”

 

Hearing the sound that he recognized all these times, he took Baekhyun hand and ran towards the bedroom window. He ignored the pain that he felt and cupped Baekhyun face in his hands. “Look, Baekhyun. The guy outside is going to kill you, but you must escape. I’m not letting you to be killed by that bastard. Now get out from here, run and hide, hide to the place where you think is safe when no one there knows who you are. I’m sorry I can’t give you any safe place that I know, because this house has been discovered so it means that the other places are no longer safe. I’ve explained everything to you, now don’t question anything, just go.”, Joonmyun said with full speed. Baekhyun blinked, he heard what Joonmyun said but he just couldn’t believe it. “But, how about you?”, Baekhyun asked. Joonmyun had tears in his eyes and he tried to pry them away, but not to avail, his tears ran down his cheeks. Baekhyun knew what it meant. “NO! I won’t leave you!”, Baekhyun said. “No, you don’t understand this. The one that must survive isn’t me but you. Now just go, please.”, Joonmyun said as more tears escaped. “Hyung, no, please no. I haven’t thanked you enough for everything. You made who am I right now, and I can’t live without you.”, Baekhyun said. “No, you don’t need to. Just get out from here and I can accept your gratefulness.”, Joonmyun said.

 

Baekhyun stayed on his place, not moving a bit. The footsteps were getting closer and Joonmyun panicked. He took a look at Baekhyun’s face one more time, looked at his eyes and got closer. He pecked Baekhyun lips and said, “I love you, and because of that, you must live for me.” Joonmyun opened the window and pushed Baekhyun outside. Baekhyun cried and struggled to be free but with all the effort he had, in the end he found himself out from the window.

 

Baekhyun banged the window glass, screamed Joonmyun name over and over. He begged Joonmyun to open the window, but Joonmyun stayed still. He looked at Baekhyun with a smile, and Baekhyun knew that it was the last time he would be seeing Joonmyun’s smile. Baekhyun was trying to bang the window open for the umpteenth times when the bedroom door slammed open. Joonmyun quickly moved to hide Baekhyun from the stranger sight. Baekhyun knew what it meant and stopped hitting the window. He hid his body lower so that the stranger couldn’t see him.

 

Baekhyun could hear Joonmyun’s voice and the stranger’s voice. They were talking about something but Baekhyun wasn’t sure what they were talking about. Suddenly, there was no one’s voice anymore, no Joonmyun’s voice, no the stranger’s voice, due to his curiosity, Baekhyun carefully lifted his head up, but Joonmyun’s body covered the window. Baekhyun gasped, a picture of Joonmyun’s body lifelessly rested on the window with blood smeared all over the window glass. Baekhyun trembled, his whole body was shaking, and tears came from his eyes.

 

He touched the window glass, wanted nothing more but hold the figure that now he could only see. Baekhyun recalled all the warmness and affection Joonmyun gave to him. The hug when he was upset, the comforting words when he was sad, the silly jokes when he was angry, and the shoulder that he needed to cry on.

 

Baekhyun stayed for a moment, covering his mouth with his hands so that his sobs wouldn’t be heard. He still wasn’t sure whether the stranger had left or stayed. He just stood there, staring at the Joonmyun’s back and cried, until he heard rustles on his right. Baekhyun turned to the source of the sound and saw a man with black mask covering his face. Baekhyun panicked and the stranger surprised to see him. “Boss! He’s here!”, shouted the man. Baekhyun backed away, he was still in shocked and didn’t know what to do. The man pointed the gun at Baekhyun and then when Baekhyun realized what condition he was in. He turned around and started to run when the man shoot his left leg. The bullet missed but still it made a deep cut on Baekhyun’s leg side. Baekhyun fell down and grabbed his left leg. His cry became more painful as his leg continued bleeding.

 

“What the have you done?! We need him alive!”, a voice that Baekhyun thought was the stranger’s that had killed Joonmyun, said. Baekhyun could see the two figures ran approaching him, he was in pain and he couldn’t move, but thinking that he must stay alive he stood up and ran. He ignored the pain that his leg gave and ran with no destination. Baekhyun could still hear the footsteps following him and shouts that told him to stop, but he kept himself not to give up.

 


 

 

 

 

Author's Note ► hey guys, i'm really sorry for not updating last week. when I was editing this chapter, suddenly my electricity went off, and when i opened it later, the document was error. i couldn't recover the document, so i decided to work using the draft. but the later result wasn't satisfying, so i edited it more than five times. AND THEN, two days ago i just realised that i had a backup file. LOL. after some editing, i present this chapter to you.

thank you for staying with me btw, i really appreciate your kindness for not unsubscribing this story despite my errors, late update, and my inability to write fantastic chapters. i love you guys. ^^

谢谢, ありがとうございます, 고마워요, merci, ขอขอบคุณที่คุณ, thank you.