Seventh

Nil Desperandum

Chanyeol brought Baekhyun to his car, he opened the car door and helped Baekhyun inside. After putting the safety belt on Baekhyun, he ran to his the driver seat and drove off. When he almost entered his neighborhood, he took a glance at Baekhyun and found that he had fallen asleep. Chanyeol thought that maybe Baekhyun was really worn out. Baekhyun’s head rested on the window glass and his body looked less tense than before. He unintentionally smiled because Baekhyun looked so cute yet pathetic. He caught the stain of dried blood on Baekhyun’s pants. Although his pants are dark-colored, Chanyeol could tell that the darker part was blood. Then he started the engine and headed to hospital.

 

The time Chanyeol arrived at hospital, Baekhyun hadn’t woken up yet so he decided to carry him. Chanyeol quickly took Baekhyun to the Emergency Room and by giving his not-yet-police ID, he made it clear to the nurse not to ask about the boy’s identity. Chanyeol put Baekhyun on the bed that the nurse had pointed out. Doctor and nurses came right after and examined Baekhyun’s body for a while. When they ripped Baekhyun’s pants, Chanyeol could see the wound on Baekhyun’s left leg and it was rather deep. After agreeing to do the surgery for Baekhyun’s wound, Chanyeol was left alone on the waiting room.

 

At that moment, Chanyeol remembered his colleagues and was quick to tell them about the news. In a minute, Chanyeol saw Yifan and Kai rushing to him, followed by Luhan and Yixing behind. “So how is he?”, Yixing asked. “He’s really tired, as soon as he was inside the car he fell asleep. I guess he hasn’t slept well for these days, I can see that he is really suffering. He looks so fragile.”, Chanyeol explained. “Where did you find him?”, Yifan asked. “Well, I was wandering around the park near my house and there I found him sleeping on one of the park benches.”, Chanyeol replied. “How could you find him there? I guess luck on our sides now.”, Luhan said this time. “But, Chanyeol, how about his wound?”, Kai asked. “Well, he got gunshot on his left leg and maybe it’s about 10 cm long, he is now being treated by the doctors. He went in about 20 minutes before, I guess we have to wait.”, Chanyeol answered. “Have you checked your surroundings when you brought him here?”, Yixing asked. “Of course I have. I chose the nearest entrance door to emergency room and I was with him all the time until he got to that surgery room. I’ve been keeping my guard on people who were there. The doctor and the nurse also didn’t look any suspicious.”, Chanyeol said. “It’s good then, thank you Chanyeol.”, Yixing said while patting Chanyeol’s shoulder, as if Chanyeol had done the greatest job. “What are you thanking for? It’s our job.”, Chanyeol said. “No, I really mean it, thank you.”, Yixing smiled and when he did that, his eyes turned into a crescent thin line. Chanyeol replied with the same smile but end up twitching his eyes.

 

The five of them waited for about another 20 minutes. It was weird because during those 20 minutes the five of them become closer, they talked about their daily lives and joked a little, maybe because they were feeling a bit better knowing that they had found Baekhyun, though the one who was really happy was Yixing. His inside was swelling of happiness, but he just didn’t show it.

 

When they saw the surgery room door opened, they stood up at the same time and suddenly looked nervous. They approached Baekhyun’s bed which was being pushed by two nurses. Baekhyun was sleeping peacefully and he looked so much like an angel because of his white hospital gown and the white hospital bed cover. Yixing took a look at Baekhyun and he was going to cry any time soon but he held it in. “Oh my God, why is he so pale?”, Luhan commented. “He looks cute.”, Kai said then. Chanyeol, Yifan and Luhan turned to Kai with that are-you-serious-at-this-kind-of-time look. Kai responded with a smug and the three of them just shrugged. On the way to Baekhyun’s room, the doctor was explaining all the details to Yifan because he is the team leader, while Yixing just blankly looked at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun was put in the VIP room on the very end of the corridor because Yixing reasoned that it was safer. Yixing and Chanyeol were left to look after Baekhyun and the rest three went home. Chanyeol realized that Yixing had been staring at Baekhyun all those times and he just wondered why. Chanyeol thought that maybe Baekhyun was his ex or something like that because of the way Yixing eyes boring a hole into Baekhyun. Chanyeol pretended to be busy with his phone because he didn’t want to disturb the moment Yixing had, he wanted to go home too but he thought that he had to be responsible for this boy. Beside, Chanyeol got the feeling that Yixing was going to break down anytime soon.

 

And Chanyeol was right. He suddenly heard sniffles from Yixing and Chanyeol head looked up to him. Yixing was crying, at first it was just merely small sobs but later on Yixing cried harder. Chanyeol walked beside him and patted Yixing’s back. Maybe Chanyeol was a bit crossing the line, because Yixing was his senior but he didn’t know what else to do to comfort him. Yixing was crying for a while and Chanyeol was patting his back all the time. Chanyeol questioned why Yixing could be a cop when he had the heart and figure that resemble gentleness.

 

When Yixing was calmer and his cry had stopped, Yixing muttered a small ‘thank you’ and Chanyeol just replied with a small nod and smile. Yixing sniffled a little more and did inhale-exhale for some times until he was really okay. Chanyeol wanted to ask Yixing about his relationship with Baekhyun so bad, but he didn’t want to ruin Yixing steady state, he was afraid Yixing would cry again, so he let it be.

 


 

It was almost 3pm when Baekhyun’s eyes fluttered open. He woke up to the sunlight seeping through the gaps between the beige curtains. He crunched his eyes a bit because the sun was blinding his eyes and when his eyes were adjusted to the light, he was surprised to see where he was. He wasn’t sure if he was in the hospital because he had never been treated in hospital or even visited a hospital before. Whenever he was sick, Joonmyun always brought the doctor to the home and since his parents’ death Baekhyun never really went to anywhere else beside his house, school, his friends’ houses and the library.

 

He looked around and found an infusion near his bed post and he didn’t recognize the clothes he wore, neither the blanket, the bed nor the room furniture. While he was still debating if he was in the hospital, the door of his room opened and for a second, Baekhyun’s mind was filled with the thought of the bad guys who were after him. However, instead of an ugly villain, he caught the eyes of a tall lanky man with red hair and a pair of ears that Baekhyun was sure were a bit too big for normal size. Baekhyun thought this man was quite attractive and definitely NOT cute. The man’s eyes were big and it gave a tingle of warmness. Seeing those eyes, Baekhyun was sure that this guy wasn’t a bad guy, but heck, if all bad guys were as hot as him, then Baekhyun might not have to run away from them.

 


 

Chanyeol was tired because he hadn’t had a good sleep that night. He slept on the couch that was so stiff and his body was aching. Yixing had left in the morning because he had duty to do, and Chanyeol was willing to look after Baekhyun. His three fellows came too but when they offered to look after Baekhyun so Chanyeol could rest, he refused it right away. Chanyeol didn’t know why he did that, but he just wanted to spend a little more time with Baekhyun, if that did make sense.

 

After convincing the other trainees that he was going to be fine, Chanyeol left to buy some food because he was starving and just in case if Baekhyun had woken up he might have something to eat. He left Baekhyun’s room after locking the door and checking the entrance carefully, he didn’t want to have someone took Baekhyun or Baekhyun running away.

 

After he bought kimbap, seaweed soup, and bread, he hurriedly back to Baekhyun’s room. The time he opened the door, he met a pair of eyes that were belong to the boy named Byun Baekhyun. Sitting on his hospital bed with a confused and a bit frightened look. For a moment, they were just exchanging each other a look and saying nothing. Chanyeol then thought that maybe Baekhyun would feel uncomfortable so he broke the eye contact and walked slowly to the other. Baekhyun’s eyes were following the steps that Chanyeol took and caught the sight of plastic bag in Chanyeol’s hand. Chanyeol saw where Baekhyun’s eyes were looking at and he held it up in front of Baekhyun. When the plastic was right in front of Baekhyun, Baekhyun turned to look at Chanyeol with indescribable look.

 

“Urm, they are seaweed soup, kimbap and bread. You can eat them. I don’t what you like, so I bought the common ones. Which one do you want to eat?”, Chanyeol asked, breaking the tense atmosphere. “Kimbap?”, Baekhyun answered unsure, his voice was hoarse and dry and his lips were numb. “Okay, but you have to eat the seaweed soup too. You need more energy.”, Chanyeol said as he was starting to plate the food on Baekhyun’s bed table. Baekhyun was silent for a while, he was just looking at the kimbap and seaweed soup in front of his sight. He looked up to Chanyeol who was expecting him to eat and asked, “Aren’t you a bad guy? Why are you feeding me?” “What? No, I’m not, look, I’m a police but well not the official ones but I’m not a bad guy. Do I look like one? Don’t you remember last night?”, Chanyeol replied. Baekhyun blinked, once, twice and then the memories of meeting a giant in the park and getting into a car last night collided in his mind. His mouth formed an ‘o’ shape and he looked into Chanyeol’s eyes and smiled, he was grateful that at least, this guy wasn’t one of Hyunwoo’s men.

 


 

 

 

 

Author's Note ► hey my lovely readers ^^ finally i'm able to update on time, this chapter is longer than usual, because i really want to get out from the situation of chan and baek being awkward faster. i realize that the story has been so boring, but i have the plan for this so i just hope that you all can anticipate and give loves to faithless. thank you for reading this, i don't know how to show my appreciation for you guys. to be an author and my story is being read, just the thought of it makes me happy. and you don't know how much you make me happy. i love you guys.

谢谢, ありがとうございます, 고마워요, merci, ขอขอบคุณที่คุณ, thank you.