Maknae?

When Fanboying Caused a BIGBANG

 “So hyung why are we gathered here?” Daesung asked.

After classes were done, Jiyong called everybody to his place, the reason being that they had some very important things to talk about. Youngbae and Daesung came immediately, thinking that something bad happened, but Seunghyun took his time. A LOT OF TIME. It took him exactly one and a half hour to just leave his house and then another 40 minutes to arrive at the meeting place. Needless to say, Jiyong was fuming when he opened the door, but Seunghyun didn’t even glance at him – or anywhere else for that matter - and headed straight to the kitchen and took out a can of ice-cream from the fridge.

Words are not enough to describe how mad Jiyong was. He called his friends, because he wanted to discuss something important. But, his hyung didn’t care one bit. He came 2 hours later than the others and entered the house without looking at him OR APOLOGIZING. And now he had the guts to sit in HIS kitchen eating HIS ice-cream. After another half an hour, filled with Jiyong’s fits and Seunghyun’s ignoring, they were finally able to sit together, in a civilized manner, in the living room to find out the so called important reason of the meeting.

‘’Yes. Jiyong, why did you call us? Youngbae repeated the question.

Satisfied that someone was actually thinking of this meeting as important, Jiyong let his lips form into a smirk, got up from his seat and headed to the middle of the room. It is safe to say that he was acting exactly like a politician who was about to give a speech which was going to change the world as we know it.

“I gathered all of you here, because we need to discuss a crucial matter.”

“You always say it’s something extremely important when in fact it isn’t even close to that.” Seunghyun successfully uttered his first words of the night.

But, his hyung’s words didn’t affect him one bit. Jiyong continued his monologue like he was never interrupted.

“As we all know, the annual talent show is only 3 weeks away. And we still don’t have a name for our group.”

“Uhmmm . . . Ji, I don’t really think that the name is the most important thing here.”

“Yeah, I agree with Youngbae hyung on this.”

“And just what could be more important than OUR NAME?” Jiyong asked in disbelief.

‘’THE SONG WE ARE GONNA PERFORM, !” Seunghyun face palmed himself.

“Oooohhh thaaaat…” Jiyong moved his hand in midair like the song wasn’t a big deal. “I’ve already told you I’m almost done with writing the lyrics. So, back to the REAL urgent matter – WE NEED TO THINK OF A NAME!’’

‘’What about ‘The Star Kids’?” Daesung suggested.

‘’What…the…hell? Just. NO!”

“What about ‘Can I Kill Myself?’?”

“Ha ha, you’re so funny hyung. And no. You most certainly can’t.”

“Ji, I’m sorry, but I don’t have the slightest idea of what we should be called. I think I speak for everyone here, when I say that you can choose a name by yourself. Anything would be okay for us, right guys?” Youngbae said, turning to face the other 2, praying that a miracle will happen and they will receive his telepathic messages to agree with him. And they, surprisingly did.

“Ok then. To be honest, I was kinda hoping you would let me choose it, because I came up with the most brilliant name: ‘JIYONG AND THE BOYS’.

‘’And just what kind of name is that? Youngbae, are you seriously letting him do this?” Seunghyun threw his hands in the air like the biggest injustice in the world just happened.

“Because your idea was so much better.” Youngbae retorted.

“Youngbaaee!” But since the person in question completely ignored him, he continued. “OKAY! You know what? FINE! JUST LET HIM DO WHATEVER HE WANTS!”

“You know we are doing this for you, right? We are doing this band thingy so you can pass.”

“Okay Okay. Jiyong, please go on.”

“So, since we now have a name, I suggest we decide our positions in the group. Since I was the one who came up with the group idea and the name, I nominate myself for the leader position. Any objections?”

He casted an eye over the people in the room who were sitting comfortably on his couch with blank looks on their faces. There was no movement. No one raised their hands or said a word.

“Then it’s settled - I am the Leader. Now, Daesung, Youngbae and I are in the vocal department, so it’s natural that we will be vocalists. But I think I should also be a rapper, because I’m pretty good at it, but Seunghyun hyung will still be the main rapper. OH, and since we are doing this, Daesung MUST occupy the official position of the maknae. Like in the idol groups, you know? OH MY GOD! WE ARE LIKE A REAL IDOL GROUP! THIS IS SO AWESOMEE!”

“Wait! Maknae? Me? . . . Why?”

“Because you are the youngest.”

“So what? I don’t want to be the maknaeee.”

“It’s not my fault you are younger than us. It’s your mother’s.”

“My mother? Why are you bringing my mother into this?”

“Because it’s her fault you were born after us. So, if you don’t want to be the maknae, go and whine to her about it.”

“Fine. I’ll be the maknae.” 

“Good boy.” Jiyong patted Daesung’s head.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Do you think he is asleep?” Seunghyun whispered, still keeping his gaze on the peacefully sleeping Daesung.

‘’I think so – I mean it looks like he is.”

‘’Maybe he is just faking it.”

“If that’s the case, then he is a very convincing actor.’’

“Ok, let’s just wake him up.  Jiyong, bring a glass of water.’’

Few seconds later, Daesung was being forcefully taken away from his dream land, by a cold liquid splashing on his face. He almost jumped out of his bed due to the shock, his screams being all that could be heard in the small room. Who could be so cold hearted to wake him up in such a brutal way? And then it hit him: HIS HYUNGS! – Who, surprisingly, watched the whole scene in silence.

“WHAT THE HELL?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? IF YOU REALLY WANTED ME AWAKE YOU COULD JUST POKE ME OR SOMETHING! NOT THROW ICE-COLD WATER AT ME! WAAAIT – HOW DID YOU GET IN?!”

“We found your spare key. You are sooo predictable – under the doormat isn’t a very good hiding place. Just so you know.” Jiyong ‘kindly’ informed him.

“Shut up! We don’t have time for this. We are going through a huge crisis!” Seunghyun interrupted.

Genuinely worried, Daesung got up from his bed and started putting on his clothes, thinking that it would be best, if he was ready to go at any moment. What could had happened that one of the laziest species on Earth had to come to his house? Numerous thoughts went through his head, all of them being worse than the previous.

“Hyungs, please tell me that nobody died.”

“What? NO! Nobody is dead, that we know of at least.”

“Then what happened?”

“Youngbae…he…he…”

‘’HE WHAAT?! JUST TELL ME! WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?”

‘’Youngbae doesn’t have any ice-cream at his place.” Jiyong threw a hand over his forehead to add a dramatic effect.

Daesung’s jaw literally hit the floor. The major crisis was YOUNGBAE NOT HAVING ICE-CREAM. THAT’S WHY HE WAS WOKEN UP! THAT’S WHY THEY THREW ICE-COLD WATER AT HIM! He turned his back at them, needing a moment to regain his composure, because at the moment all his thoughts included a knife or any other sharp object and the two older guys.

“Why didn’t you just go to one of your houses?”

“We went to Youngbae’s, because both of us were out. And we already checked your fridge, too. You don’t have any."

“Then why didn’t you just go to the store?”

“Why would we do that, when we can ask YOU to do it?’’

‘’Since you’re the maknae and all.”

‘’Now go!” Seunghyun pushed Daesung out of the room.

Poor Daesung was pretty much kicked out of HIS OWN house by two ice cream addicts. Not having a choice, he quickly went to the store and bought the much needed food. Of course, he didn’t even hear a ‘THANK YOU’ – they just took the can of ice cream from him and left.

But, that wasn’t the last time he was requested – or more like demanded - to do something ridiculous. He had to check their homework for misspellings, cook for them, buy stuff for them, but nothing bothered him more than being forced to babysit Sung Yi, Jiyong’s annoying little neighbor. But, why was he being treated like a slave all of a sudden? Oh yeah, because he was an ‘OFFICIAL maknae’ now. He was always the youngest, but now that he was filling an ‘official position’, they were doing their best to make him feel that he really deserves it. He thought that after a while, they will leave him alone, but NO – that wasn’t in their agenda. So, now there was only one obvious solution – he had to find someone younger than him to join the group.