Prank Me Not

When Fanboying Caused a BIGBANG

 

 

“You go.”

“No, you go.”

“No. Freaking. Way.”

“Look, you’re the one who couldn’t wait until we got back to the dorm - So, you are the one who should go.” Dara crossed her arms in front of her chest, pursing her lips in disagreement.

“Fine, then. We will settle this the proper way, which is of course rock, paper, scissors!” Bom declared in the most serious tone one has ever heard this woman speak in.

“Bring it on.” The petite blond-haired girl quickly retorted, her eyes mirroring the determination in her voice.

“Ohhh, prepare to lose Sandara Park.” Bom squinted her eyes and rubbed her hands together in anticipation.

“ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS!” The two girls shouted at the same time and then showed their chosen items.

Unfortunately, the game ended with Bom as the winner, because at the end of the day rock still beats scissors.

“HA HA! I WIN! IN YOUR FACE!” Bom threw her hands in the air in victory. “You know what this means.” She nodded suggestively towards the closed door on her right.

Having no other choice but to follow the rules, Dara went to the door and knocked lightly before opening it. Luckily for them, the door was hiding nothing but an empty room. Relieved, Dara let out a breath that she didn’t even know she was holding and stepped into the studio, followed closely by Bom.

If you haven’t figured it out by now, the only reason for that bickering from before, was to figure out who was going to enter the studio first – or to cut story short, to check if there is anyone in there. Sadly, the studio was the only place they could think of with an actual working computer. Of course, there was their dorm, but as Dara mentioned, someone didn’t possess the necessary patience to wait until they got there.

So, here they were, ready to watch what was on the memory-stick given by Mr. Kim.

As Bom was slowly closing the door, checking once again if someone was coming, the younger Park approached the computer located on the desk from across the room. As soon as she the device, she inserted the memory-stick into its designated slot. However, Dara didn’t have time to also click on the video to make it start, because she was unexpectedly pushed aside by her eager friend who just wanted to press the mouse button instead.

 The video immediately started, making the two pairs of eyes to glue to the screen in front of them. The first thing that popped on the screen were two men who were talking and the ladies assumed that they were some sort of MCs, as it looked like they were doing some sort of introduction.

Eventually, the two guys retreated and the lights faded out and were only again as a somewhat familiar melody started roaring through the speakers. A quite skinny man made his appearance on stage, rapping as if his life depended on it and as the performance flowed, one by one, four other men joined him, taking from where the other left of.

Aside from a small slap on the back from Bom to signal that who they thought was Kwon Jiyong appeared on stage, there was no reaction from the girls. To tell the truth, they were actually enjoying the show put on by the five boys who not only looked like they were having the time of their lives on stage, but who also like they were meant to be on it.

At the end of the performance, Dara and Bom couldn’t help themselves but to clap along with the audience in the clip.

Then, the video continued with what was supposed to be the awards giveaway. The two singers suddenly remembered Mr. Kim’s words of how eventful that part was, and as if it would help them see better they leaned in towards the little screen. They watched intently as the winners were named and without even knowing, they slightly frowned when the guys that they had just seen didn’t get first prize. Still, their disappointed expressions didn’t last for long, as just then the real Jiyong stepped forward to do his little unexpected scheme.

Needless to say, the ladies burst into laughter instantly, grabbing each other for support, because they thought they would collapse from so much laughing.

“What’s so funny?” A male’s deep voice echoed in their ears, making them jump back in surprise.

They turned around and found Teddy, leaning on the door frame, an amused smile gracing his lips.

“N- nothing . . .” Dara awkwardly answered. “What are you doing here, oppa?” She asked once her voice was sturdier.

“Well, this is where I work.” He smiled.  “What were you girls watching?” The man gestured towards the computer behind them.

“NOTHING!” Bom suddenly shouted and closed the laptop with a loud thud. “We will be leaving now!” She continued before grabbing Dara and leaving the studio.

Teddy chuckled at the girls antics, finding it so funny that the oldest members of the group were practically the youngest . . . mentally. He took a seat in his chair and opened his little precious device to check if it was damaged in any way, because that harsh close must have done something. However, when he opened it, his attention went to a window with a paused clip and out of pure curiosity, he set it to start from the beginning and then clicked on it.

 


 

“BOM!” Dara shouted as she was still dragged along the hallway by her flustered friend. When she didn’t get any reaction, she yelled again, yanking her hand out of the other one’s hold.

“WHAT?” Bom turned around, finally acknowledging her irritated companion. 

“Where are you going?”

“I don’t know.” The girl admitted with a shrug. “I just had to get us away from Teddy. He doesn’t need to see what we were watching, right? We managed to go through with our plan until now - we don’t need people to intervene. It’s better if it stays unknown.” She threw her hands out, trying to get her point across.

Dara took one step back, not wanting to get hit by Bom’s flailing hands. She observed the taller girl, sensing that there was more to it than she showed and it only took her few seconds to realize what it was. They weren’t best friends for nothing.

“Bom, stop it.”

“Huh?” The woman eyed her suspiciously. 

“I don’t care that we didn’t find out anything. All that matters is that we had fun.”

“Yeah, but . . .”

“But nothing. As much as I hate to admit it, we kind of wasted our time with this. But it’s okay - At least we know that we haven’t let a potential mobster lurk the streets of Seoul.” Dara gave a reassuring smile, making Bom give one in return.

“Hey, want to go to the cafeteria? I heard ajhumma made cookies!” The petite girl casually suggested, wanting to get the other on high spirits again.

“COOKIES?” Bom’s eyes lit up. Only the thought of those delicious treats dancing on her taste buds made her squeal in excitement. “WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR THEN? LET’S GO!” She grabbed Dara again and headed towards the elevators.

Dara released a small yelp in surprise, as she was taken by force somewhere, yet again. This was becoming like a new habit of Bom’s – taking her wrist and dragging her to any other place, unknown or not.

*DING*

A short, but sharp noise startled the blonde girl. However, the slightly older singer remained completely unfazed and just pushed her friend in the elevator. And here it was, an old habit of Bom: pushing her with no concern for her health or anything else for that matter.

“I swear, someday I’m going to end up in the hospital.” Dara mumbled under her breath.

“Hmm? Did you say something?” The dark-haired woman turned to look at her just as her finger pushed the first floor button.

“Nope.” Dara lied, hurriedly averting her gaze, the wall next to her seeming awfully interesting at the moment.

 

 ==

 

As soon as the two girls entered the cafeteria, the sweet and delightful smell of freshly cooked food invaded their senses, making their mouths water and stomachs grumble in anticipation. Then, as if their legs had their own minds, they started moving towards the display cases where a wide variety of tasty dishes was placed, practically begging to be eaten by them any time now.

Luckily for the two friends, the waiting line wasn’t as long as it usually was, so they obediently and wordlessly went to the end of the queue, but after not even a minute, Bom started fidgeting and tapping her foot excessively, acting completely as if she had been standing there for the last few hours. Dara, on the other hand, was as calm as ever and took her phone out, her mind set on beating her last high score on that new game she had just downloaded.

“How much longer are we going to stand here?” Bom sighed exasperatedly, throwing her head back.

“Huh?” Dara raised her eyes from the little lightened screen. Still disoriented, she blinked rapidly a few times to adjust her vision and looked in front of her. “I guess we don’t have to . . .” She trailed off as she put her hands on Bom’s shoulders to turn her around, who immediately let her lips form into a wide sly grin.

The 2NE1 maknae was exactly at the cashier, ready to place her order when her two unnies practically teleported next to her, making her jerk back in surprise.

“How are you Minzy?” Dara, truly concerned about her dongsaeng’s well-being, questioned.

“Good, I guess.” She hesitantly replied. “Have you seen CL unnie? We were supposed to meet here.”

“No, we haven’t.” Bom suddenly interjected, carrying a large tray filled entirely with all kinds of food.

“Did you already order? What the hell? And I thought we came here for cookies.” Dara asked, completely bewildered.

“You obviously thought wrong. Come on, girls – let’s find an empty table.” The black-haired girl stepped forward nonchalantly, scattering her eyes around the room in search for any possible available space. Then, as if she was a robot who had located its target, she zoomed in on a table in the opposite corner and instantly dashed in that direction.

By the time Dara and Minzy arrived at the table, their crazy companion and friend was already seated comfortably on one of the benches, stuffing with every dish within her reach. The two girls stole a quick glance at each other and silently took a seat opposite from Bom, only then noticing the two guys, equally baffled and startled, who were staring with wide eyes at the specimen in its natural habitat.  

“Hi Young Don, Young Deuk!” Dara merrily greeted the two guys, drawing their attention to her and the maknae.

“Oh, hi noona. Hello Minzy!” Young Deuk replied politely, while his twin brother just motioned his hand into a little wave.

At the mention of her name, the read-headed girl stiffened and just started to look absent mindedly around the room, her goal being to avoid Young Deuk’s gaze.

Just as Dara opened , ready to say something, her cellphone which was lying flatly on the table, vibrated, signaling a new message. She grabbed it right away and directed all her focus on the tiny object, letting her fingers type an appropriate reply. Then, it vibrated again, but this time for a longer time, so Dara excused herself to go answer the incoming call.

Without the petite blond girl to liven things up, an awkward silence soon took over the atmosphere, all that could be heard, being Bom’s munching sounds blending with the other people’s chatter in the background.

Come on Minji . . . say something.” The 2NE1 maknae tried to convince herself, but to her surprise Young Don finally spoke:

“Do you think it will rain today?” He uttered completely disinterested in what he just asked. He simply wanted to break the ice, because the awkwardness was too unbearable.

“Of course not.” His brother retorted.

“I agree.” Minzy nodded and almost instantaneously mentally face palmed herself. She swore that if her unnie wasn’t coming back any sooner, she could just die right then and there from embarrassment. The girl tried to look from the corner of her eye at the entrance and she luckily caught glimpse of a Dara speeding towards them.  

“Bom! Minzy!” She breathed out, leaning on the table for support. “I just talked to Chaerin. She wants us to meet her at sajangnim’s office. Apparently he wants to talk to us about a music video or something like that.”

“LET’S GO THEN!” The maknae shouted and jolted up almost making the bench fall. The girl was that excited to get out from that place. Surprising everybody, Bom tranquilly got up, delicately wiping and then bid goodbye to the boys, the two other girls doing the same before leaving the place.

“Minzy you should just tell him that you like him. It’s quite a shame that your IQ is decreasing by like 99% when you are in his proximity. And that may be the reason to why we followed you when you went out.” Bom said as soon as they were out of the boys’ reach.

“W-what? I do NOT like Young Deuk.” She huffed angrily, quite offended by the older woman’s words.

“If you say so.”

 


 

 

“So, what do you think? I say they got great potential.” Teddy leaned into his chair, folding his hands into his lap.

On the other side of the desk, Yang Hyun Suk nodded as he turned off the computer and then placed his elbow on his desk, propping his chin in his open palm. After several moments spent in silence, the man finally spoke:

“I think you are right, they might be just what we need. You know what to do.”

“Yes, sir.” Teddy bowed, taking his boss’ words as a subtle dismissal.

He leisurely walked to the exit, swinging the door open, only to be greeted by the smiling faces of the 4 2NE1 girls.  He hastily greeted them before continuing his way, his new acquired mission occupying his thoughts.

“Girls, come on in.” YG papa called over the ladies, gesturing them towards the empty chairs in front of his desk. “I presume CL already told you a bit, but I wanted to personally explain everything: I want you to make your own music video for the upcoming album - You will be in charge with everything from plot to casting and venues. Do you understand what I’m saying?” He continued, revering the women’s dumbstruck expressions. 

 


 

*THE NEXT DAY*

 

“I just realized that now we don’t have anything to do. I mean, before the talent show, all we did was practice practice practice and now I feel like I don’t know what I am supposed to do with my life.” Youngbae confessed to which Daesung gave a little hum in response before leaving to who knows where.

Youngbae frowned from the couch, throwing a hand over his eyes, the bright and warm sunlight coming through the open window bothering him.

“Can someone please close that window?” He implored no one in particular.

Sadly, the only people left in the room were him and Seunghyun. His hyung was seated on the floor, an extra-large can of ice cream in his lap, while his whole being was absorbed in the so called amazing TV show – which was in fact a cartoon - that was showing on TV at the moment. It didn’t take to be a brain surgeon to figure out the fact that Seunghyun didn’t pay any attention to him.

So, left with no other choice, he got up from his lying position, stomping his way to the window. Unfortunately, only he, Daesung and Seunghyun were gathered at his house since Jiyong and Seungri were nowhere to be found - but then again he didn’t care much about his same-aged friend. He wasn’t going to forgive him so easily.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Daesung ran out – apparently from the kitchen – and dashed to open the front door. What was waiting on the other side was Jiyong with his hands buried deep in his front pockets. The newly arrived guest entered the house without uttering a single word and with his chin held up, he strode to the couch and slumped on it after grabbing his hyung’s ice- cream.

“WHAT THE-?” Seunghyun jumped to attack, but stopped mid-sentence when his mind registered what his eyes were seeing.  “Why are you wearing sunglasses inside?” He tried asking, even though he knew he was going to regret it.

“Because I am a star now.” The man in question answered as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

Yep, Seunghyun totally regretted asking.

“Excuse me?” He leaned in, hoping he heard it all wrong. 

”I am a star now: I won the talent show.” Jiyong declared smugly.

“Someone call the mental hospital.” That’s all Seunghyun said before leaving the room, shaking his head in disbelief. It was too much, even for him.

Youngbae approached Jiyong carefully, taking a seat next to him. “Ji, we came in second place.” He clarified, praying that his friend was just in denial. All that time spent with Seunghyun declaring Jiyong’s craziness made him quite paranoid. The leader just continued to stare blankly in front of him and only reacted when his friend waved his hand before his eyes.

“YOU THINK I DON’T FREAKING KNOW THAT?!” The boy turned to him, his ears red from anger.

“OH MY GOD!” Youngbae threw his hands around the other man, squeezing him tight. He was just glad that Jiyong wasn’t actually going mad.

“Guys?” Daesung called from the window. “You might want to see this.” He pointed with his thumb over his shoulder.

Jiyong pushed the weird hugger away from him and advanced towards Daesung, wanting to see what was so interesting out there. However, before he even had the chance to get to the window, the doorbell rang for the second time for that day. This time, Youngbae was the one who went to open the door. Regrettably, no one was prepared for what was waiting behind that door.

Youngbae carelessly opened the door and to his utter confusion and surprise Seungri jumped inside throwing his arms to the side, the deepest smirk on his face.

“Oh wait.” He raised his hand and went out the door, but came back again, this time with his phone playing a trumpet soundtrack. Everyone stared flabbergasted, as the maknae stopped the song and went on with his speech.

“Seungri is here, ladies and gentlemen.” The boy announced. “I am a man of my word, so to stay true to my promise, today I brought GIRLS.” He emphasized the last word, pronouncing it with such gracefulness.

Then, as if it was choreographed – which it probably was – ten or so gorgeous women marched into the house. No one even had the time to question where did they come from or how Seungri managed to get them, because the panda eyed boy unexpectedly put his fist to his mouth, acting as if it was a microphone:

“Here we have Miss Shin Ra Im.” Seungri spoke as, one of the women, presumably the one named Ra Im, sashayed her way to the place where Youngbae was still staring, absolutely perplexed by the whole situation. “She likes long walks on the beach, poodles are her favorite pets and she loves pink things.”

“Now, here is miss Kwon So Ra. She enjoys watching cheesy soap operas and is an absolute fan of Lee Min Ho and did I mention she works as a flight attendant?” Seungri winked specifically at Youngbae.

As the minutes passed, the youngster continued his introduction of the ladies, each one of them proceeding in turns to the man with a Mohawk. When he was done, he quickly retreated, wanting to let his hyung enjoy what he has brought and hoping that this helped him overcome his shyness. On his route to the kitchen, he had the immense honor to bump into Seunghyun, making him drop a bag full of chips on the floor.

“You can take them.” His hyung offered, leaving him alone.

==

It didn’t take long for Seungri to come back to the living room, where now everyone was gathered. What surprised him, though, was that the girls were nowhere to be found, but Youngbae was sitting peacefully on the sofa, reading what seemed to be a very entertaining book. That kind of distressed the boy, since he thought the ladies were supposed to be the entertaining ones.

“Where are the girls?” He questioned. His only answer was a little gesture from Daesung, pointing towards the hallway where Seunghyun was trying with all his might to walk through the hoard of women. They were all grouped around him, all acting like love sick puppies.

“Someone get them out of here.” He yelled, not being able to put up with it anymore.

In all this semi- chaos, Jiyong was looking through some of his photos, deciding if some were worth of keeping or not, when his cellphone suddenly changed screens, an unknown number being displayed, while his ringtone echoed in his ears.

He pressed the green button, wishing that the one on the other end wasn’t a prankster or something similar to that.

“Good afternoon. Am I speaking to Mr. Kwon Jiyong?” The man on the other line inquired.

“Yes. That’s me.”

“I am calling on behalf of YG Entertainment. I believe you’ve heard of our company. We’d like for you and your friends to meet us. We certainly hope you would be up for that.”

Jiyong widened his eyes in complete shock, while his hands started trembling, almost dropping the phone to the ground.

If this was a prank, it unquestionably was the worst one he had ever happened to hear.