Chapter 41

Our New Fate

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 41[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Soundtrack: Story” - Sam Tsui

[/CONTENTID2] [CONTENTID3]

“We can take it fast, or take it slow

If we just take each step as we go

Our story, our story, one page at a time”

 

“Noona is coming to visit,” Heung Soo said, holding his phone to Nam Soon’s direction so he could read the message. Apparently there were several missed calls from her as well.

“I should be arriving at 5PM I think. Why won’t you pick up the phone? Is everything alright?”

What? Is she coming to visit today?” asked Nam Soon. He was sure Heung Soo hadn’t said anything about it before.

“Apparently. It’s been some time we don’t talk, she’s probably missing me.” thought Heung Soo out loud, standing up to get his coat and putting the cellphone back into his pockets.

“What do we do?” Nam Soon stood by his side, bitting his lips, letting his worry transpass through his trembling voice.

“Don’t know. But I need to hide our photos or else she will get startled...” said Heung Soo. He hadn’t told her that he and Nam Soon were talking again, much less that they were together. And Nam Soon was sure her opinion about him remained the same as ten years ago. She might not even accept if Heung Soo surprised her with news that they were friends again.

“You can’t tell her,” Nam Soon prompted to say, worried that this idea had come through Heung Soo’s mind. “Please, don’t think about telling her.” They were fine as it was. Nam Soon was scared of what would happen if she didn’t accept this relationship - and she definitely wouldn’t. How could her?

Yes, Heung Soo was grown up already. He didn’t need her approval. Yet, how would he feel knowing that she was against it? Could this make him question if they should keep going?

“I won’t,” reassured Heung Soo. “At least not now.”

“You need to stay here?” said a voice in the corner that Nam Soon noticed it belonged to Yoon Jae. He was so startled about the news that he completely forgot that both of them were still there listening to the conversation.

“Yes, just bring your things here. You can stay as long as you need.” Joon Hee calmed him down. They could understand what they were going through, probably better than anyone.

“I don’t wanna be a burden...” whispered Nam Soon. For the first time, he started missing having his own place. He hadn’t thought of this even once... Since he didn’t have any family left, he forgot that Heung Soo still had his sister. Just for a bit, he thought it was just him and Heung Soo.

“Not at all” Joon Hee reassured. “It might be fun to have a friend staying over.”

Heung Soo blinked, and Nam Soon could see how bothered this had made him. Like he felt guilty of something.

“We should go,” said Heung Soo. “Before she arrives. I don’t wanna take chances.”

 

“Our story

You figured it out, you wrote it in pen

You know how you want our plot to end

You set it in stone, no room for surprise, oh”

 

They were in silence all the way while they packed their photographs and everything that could show any sign that Nam Soon had been there. Heung Soo just replied to her message as soon as they arrived.

Ok Noona. I’m waiting at home.

But she didn’t message him back. It was past three when they finished putting everything in a box, and Heung Soo sat over the couch, suddenly feeling a bit bitter about everything.

“Nam Soon... I don’t like this.” said Heung Soo, staring at the other, poking his own nails nervously. “Shouldn’t I just tell her?”

“No.” Nam Soon prompted, without even thinking, and slowed down his tone afraid he was too cold. “I mean, I don’t think so... You know what happened to your car just because someone found out about us, right?”

Heung Soo shook his head in agreement. He understood Nam Soon’s fears, but even so... It was starting to feel a lot worse than he thought.

“I’m sure she won’t stay for long.”

“Yeah... Sure.” Nam Soon forced a smile, getting close to him and touching his lips in a soft kiss. “I’ll be going then.” He said, getting the box from the ground, already with a backpack on his back. Heung Soo watched him leave, wishing for just this moment... for probably less than five seconds... that Nam Soon was a girl.

“Call me when you get there.”

 

“You're stressing me out, the way you obsess

And worry about what happens next

Can we just enjoy the here and the now?”

 

Joo Mi arrived with a much larger bag then Heung Soo had expected, and unlike he thought, she wasn’t with her husband.

“How was the trip?” asked Heung Soo, helping her bring her bags upstairs and inside his apartment.

“It was ok, just a bit tired,” she took out her shoes and stared around, probably checking how were things considering it’s been some time since the last time she came. She had moved to Busan some months ago because of her husband’s job, and had been only once to Seoul since then.

“Why didn’t you call me before? I wasn’t expecting your visit, could have taken some time off work...” said Heung Soo, serving some water for her. He wasn’t really bothered by her visit, but he didn’t want to risk another surprise visit.

However, she was smiling now.

“I’m having a baby,” She said in joy. Heung Soo mouth opened in surprise. He definitely wasn’t expecting these news. Sure, it’s been some time since she got married, he should have seen it coming.

“Congrats!” He exclaimed, a bit lost of what he should do, and gave her and awkward and quick hug. “Wasn’t expecting this.”

“I wanted to tell you in person,” She explained. “And... we’re reforming the house, so I’m staying for a couple days... If that’s ok.”

Heung Soo stared without words for some seconds.

“Sure,” he rushed to answer. It would sound unpleasant if he asked how long, wouldn’t? So he just smiled at her, pretending he didn’t have anything to hide.

“And how is Jin Ah? There’s been long since you last called me. You had forgotten you’ve got a sister?” She reprimanded him, playfully. Heung Soo felt his cheeks getting red, and stumbled in his answer.

“We... We’ve broken up,” He looked away, hoping the question wouldn’t get too focused on this fact. He didn’t want to be caught lying.

“No! Really?” she really sounded surprised, and a bit disappointed. “I really thought you would get married... what a pity... what happened?” her last word was almost like a whisper, probably because she regretted talking much, worried it could be a painful subject to Heung Soo.

“Just didn’t work out. I’m fine” He smiled, “And how are things there?”

Luckily for Heung Soo he could successfully changed the subject, and they spent the next hours talking about her plans with the baby and how her husband had even thought about buying a bigger house and his plans for a second baby next.

 

“Go on, predict the plot

While I sit right here wondering where you are

What good's a perfect ending

If you just pretend to see that far”

 

It was past eleven when Joo Mi finally went to bed. Heung Soo lend her the room after she recused for a couple times - he insisted that he could sleep at the couch for the time being.

He grabbed his phone as he layed down, and there was a message from Nam Soon.

“Just arrived. How are things? She’s there?”

He quickly messaged him back, giving another look at his bedroom door to check if it was properly closed and that she wouldn’t get back to the living room by surprise and start making questions.

She just went to bed. I’m gonna be an uncle.”

“Really?? Congrats! You’re getting old!”

Heung Soo let a laugh escape, and looked worried at the door again, trying to be more silent.

Shut up, we have the same age, bastard. Anyway, she will spend more time than I thought here... They are making a reform in her room because of the baby...”

“Should I find some place? I’ve been thinking about this... I think it would be better.”

Heung Soo stared at his words for a while. It should be for the best, sure... They could see each other at Nam Soon’s place whenever this happened. But in someway, he didn’t think it was right. He hated hiding like this... they were already grown up man, should he really hide like this?

I don’t want this. I’ll think about it. For the meantime, can you stay at Joon Hee’s? How was your day?”

“Fun. We got drunk and watch . Jokin’, we bought some stir-fried rice cakes and watched Show me the Money. We’ll probably go to the movies tomorrow. You can’t come right?”

“I’ll have to stay with her this weekend. I think I should at least tell her we’re friends again.”

“Don’t mention me. I’ll go to bed now. Miss you.”

 

“You're living your life like something you've read

Always just a couple lines ahead

Just dying to know how it all works out”

 

It’s been a month since Joo Mi came to his house. After a couple weeks, Heung Soo questioned her about the reforms, trying not to sound bothered. She whispered something about four weeks or so and he hadn’t asked her anymore.

Nam Soon moved to a hostel close to his work after the second week, even with Joon Hee and Yoon Jae insisting for him to stay, but since they weren’t sure how longer would she stay it would make him feel better. He knew they would want more privacy at some point and he could afford staying in a hostel for some weeks.

Besides, he and Heung Soo could also see each other there after work for some hours before going home. He told Joo Mi he was staying late at work and she wasn’t even suspicious.

Nam Soon’s room as tiny, with a single bed and a small and old desk placed at the side where he kept his notebook. There was an old TV at the other side of the table and a few books about business management that he bought online some weeks ago.

They were laying at the bed, watching an old movie at the tv. They would stay like this for some hours most of the days. Some times they also ate there and once both fell asleep and woke up with Joo Mi calling worried asking for him.

“I should go...” Heung Soo whispered, planting a kiss on Nam Soon lips and sitting over the bed.

“Joon Hee invited us to go out tomorrow. Go drink somewhere... You think there’s a chance you can go?” Nam Soon risked asking. He had pondered for a bit if he should or should not have asked him.

Heung Soo thought for a while, standing up and grabbing his bag.

“I don’t think so... Maybe... She might wanna meet you all, you know. Perhaps I should let her.”

“No,” Nam Soon sat, shaking his head. “Better not. I’ll just stay home too, and we can see each other on Monday,” Nam Soon forced a smile as Heung Soo bended over him to a last kiss before getting to the door.

“I’ll message you.”

 

“Can we write our story

Taking one page, baby, at a time

What's the point if we're only

Gonna worry how it ends”

 

Joo Mi was cooking some beef seaweed soup when Heung Soo arrived. He greeted her but she didn’t answer, probably too concentrated in her cooking.

However, she wasn’t much talkative this night. He risked asking about her day and what she planned to do during the weekend, but she didn’t sound much excited.

“Something happened?” He asked, landing his spoon at the side of his dish.

Joo Mi just shook her head, still eating her soup. They spent the next few minutes while they finished eating in silence, and Heung Soo was sure something must had happened because usually she never stopped asking him about his work and repeat at least once that he was working too much - and she didn’t say this even once this time.

But It was just when they finished washing the dishes that she finally spoke what was troubling her.

“Have you...” She mumbled, probably thinking about how she should ask this. “Have you and Nam Soon started talking again?”

It was like a bucket of cold water had been thrown at him. His throat seemed sored, and he probably should be as white as his fridge. How could she know? Had she seen them? She couldn’t have though...

But it was like she could read his mind, and opened the last drawer of the counter. And there was that picture frame that had broken last time. Heung Soo had saved it there one day when he got bothered with the broken frame, and they completely forgot about it when they hided the other photo frames.

“I...” Heung Soo didn’t know what to say. He couldn’t lie because it was a recent photograph. However, he couldn’t be completely honest, could he? “Yes... we met again,” he said, hoping they could just finish it like that.

“Why would you talk with him again?” She sounded astonished. He was even surprised that she remembered his name, but this only meant how angry she must have been at him after all. Those were bad days for her too.

“It just happened. He’s different now.”

“You’re not working with him, are you?” she sounded worried. Probably thought something bad could happen to Heung Soo again?

“It’s not like that.” He wanted to say he wasn’t seeing him much. Lie that he was just an acquaintance. However, something didn’t let him. He was sure he would regret his decision, probably he should give her more time to accept that they were friends again before telling her this.

But he didn’t want to wait. He and Nam Soon had already lost so much time... that he couldn’t postpone any longer.

“Noona... I have to tell you something.”

 

“Try letting it go, live for now, live for this

Not the same old lines from the same old script

And maybe you'll find you enjoy the ride”

 

 

[/CONTENTID3][CONTENTID4]

Sorry for the long absence, I'll totally understand if you give up following and wait until I finish to read again! But I promise I'll finish it! :) There's been some things in life that's keeping my mind away from writing but I'll try my best to continue updating even if It takes a while.
For those who are still here, hope you like the chapter. And if you spot some grammar mistakes don't be afraid to tell me, since no one revised it for me I might have let some mistakes pass.
 
[/CONTENTID4]