Chapter 12

Our New Fate

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 12[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Soundtrack: "Umbrella" -  Alex Goot & Tyler Ward  (Cover)

[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

"You have my heart

And we'll never be worlds apart"

 

Heung Soo grabbed Nam Soon's left arm, pushing him away as he wiped his own tears with his hands, a serious facade on his face.

"What are you doing, you bastard?" Heung Soo muttered, breaking free of his embrace. Nam Soon wiped his own tears, staring at Heung Soo. He wanted to say something but the words didn't come. Was Heung Soo angry? Had he forgiven him? Nam Soon was afraid it was just a momentary weakness, and after it Heung Soo would pretend that nothing happened. However, when he turned his back on him, he stopped halfway.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" Heung Soo asked, without looking back. His words came out like a whisper, but Nam Soon could hear them very clearly.

And just like a dream, Nam Soon was able to show a relieved smile. A smile that showed things would finally be alright again - a smile that shined like the light that brightened the end of that tunnel, which finally seemed closer than ever.

 

"Because

When the sun shines, we'll shine together"

 

Luckily Nam Soon got his job back. He was worried they had already found someone else to replace him, or that they wouldn't want him back after he resigned, but fortunately they were too full of clients and accepted him back - only because they really needed him to fill the hole which he left. His boss didn't look so happy, but Nam Soon didn't say anything and gave his best on this first day back to work.

Nam Soon didn't really know what to expect when Heung Soo entered the coffee shop with Moo Yul. His expression wasn't what he would call a very welcoming one, but even so he went ahead to get their orders as they sat by the counter.

He still remembered everything Heung Soo told him the day before - It wasn't a dream. So even if his expression remained serious, Nam Soon was not so worried. Although Moo Yul seemed much happier to see him than Heung Soo, he knew he was probably just being proud. He wouldn't be surprised if Heung Soo pretended nothing happened in front of Moo Yul. But it was for that reason that what happened next took him completely by surprise.

"I know you don't like him, but can you treat him a little better? He almost left." Moo Yul whispered. Nam Soon wasn't close enough to hear his comment, but he was close enough to hear Heung Soo's answer.

"I don't dislike him," Heung Soo said, turning towards Nam Soon, and then back to his table when he realized he wouldn't be able to continue while he was looking at Nam Soon. "We are friends," he whispered.

Nam Soon could not hear what else Moo Yul had to say about the situation between the two. He just smiled again. The word he thought he would never hear again in this lifetime, he finally heard - friends.

 

"Told you I'll be here forever

Said I'll always be your friend

Took an oath I'ma stick it out till the end"

 

It was past eight o'clock when the last customer finally left, and Nam Soon, who was working overtime to make up for missing the last few days, was finally able to leave the cafeteria. He was so concentrated on his work that he didn't notice Heung Soo waiting for him outside. He wondered if Heung Soo had been waiting for a long time, but decided not to ask, since the other didn't seem that happy. However, Nam Soon had never asked him to stay, but he did.

Nam Soon smiled when he saw him, even though his smile had not been reciprocated.

"How was work?" Nam Soon asked, glad that it had finally stopped snowing. Heung Soo just shrugged and turned around, walking forward without looking back.

"I'll give you a ride home, you've came walking, right?" He said, and Nam Soon nodded. It was better not to say anything, because he knew this should be difficult for the other. They were indeed trying to make it work, but he could see in Heung Soo's acting how difficult it was being for him - and even for Nam Soon. What to do or what to say - he had to think twice before doing anything. In the past, he didn't even need to think.

But Nam Soon would not complain. He knew things wouldn't be okay in just one day. He knew their relationship needed time to build trust again - to rebuild that old friendship again. He didn't know how long it would take, but he would wait.

The ride home was silent, but neither of them cared - It was a necessary silence. Not awkward nor sad, it was more like a time to think - a time they were spending together, in which, finally, there were no sharp words being thrown at each other.

Nam Soon didn't even notice when the car stopped in front of his apartment - Heung Soo had to look at him with his eyebrows raised for him to finally open the door.

Before closing it behind him, he turned to Heung Soo. "I didn't get your number," Nam Soon murmured innocently. But Heung Soo's eyebrows shot even higher.

"I'm not your date," Heung Soo grumbled, rolling his eyes. Nam Soon sighed loudly, showing his annoyance.

"Oh okay, then should I call Moo Yul and ask him?" He joked, picking up his own phone and pretending to dial.

Heung Soo sighed, grabbing the phone away from Nam Soon's hands and typing in his his own number.

"Just don't start calling me all the time, " Heung Soo barked as Nam Soon smiled back, saving the number before he lost it.

Nam Soon didn't care that Heung Soo didn't get his. He knew he wasn't truly mad. It's been ten years, but some attitudes were still the same - Heung Soo was always easily annoyed, but Nam Soon knew that in fact he wasn't really angry.

Nam Soon used to be the same - yet, some things did change.

 

"Now that it's raining more than ever

Know that we'll still have each other

You can stand under my umbrella"

 

That was how the next few days followed - Heung Soo would go to the coffee shop and order his drinks. They wouldn't talk much, but the harsh words and cold stares were gone.

Yet, something was still missing. It was hard for Nam Soon to act like he used to - he forgot how it was like. He had forgotten that feeling of 'it's just Heung Sooyou can act as you like'. The intimacy was gone. As Heung Soo said before, Nam Soon didn't know him anymore. Being around him made him anxious - he felt as if Heung Soo was going to get tired and leave him at any time. He was always wondering if he was being annoying.

But Nam Soon knew this was no surprise. It had been a long time, so many years, where both had been through so much. It would be hard to go back to the way it was before. Nam Soon had so much he wanted to do, so much he wanted to say, so much he missed - but it seemed that the intimacy between him and Heung Soo no longer existed.

However, Nam Soon would get it back - he was sure. It didn't matter if would take a week, a month or a year. He was determined to get it back. He knew this because, once again, there was Heung Soo waiting for him at the exit. He seemed serious as ever, and didn't say a thing, but the smile on the corner of his lips when he turned around wasn't exactly hidden.

It was like a light at the end of the day - that's how he felt when he saw that smile. Because Heung Soo had no other reason to give him a ride home every night, other than proving that that feeling was mutual- that Heung Soo, too, wanted to regain their friendship back.

Nam Soon didn't have to feel alone.

 

"There's no distance in between our love

So go on and let the rain pour

I'll be all you need and more"  

 

Saturday arrived soon, and Nam Soon had no plans for it. If it was as before, Heung Soo would probably have gone to Nam Soon's house, ready for a weekend full of games, mangas and ramen. This time though, it wasn't like that anymore. Nam Soon just said goodbye as Heung Soo dropped him off at his house on Friday after work, and no extra words were said.

It was eleven o'clock in the morning when he woke up. The snow was not falling and the sun could be seen behind those vast clouds in the sky. It should be cold outside, but Nam Soon had no plans to leave home to see it. However, if it were to see Heung Soo, he wouldn't mind for sure.

He picked up his cell phone, fingers running through it as he controlled his desire to call him. But he was unsure, and he cursed himself for it - it was Heung Soo. He was his friend. He had no reason to feel like this way. He knew that, but in the end he just sent him a text message instead of calling.

"Morning. Wanna do something today?" He sent him, certain in his mind that Heung Soo would not respond - at least not so soon.

 

"These fancy things, will never come in between

You're part of my entity, here for Infinity"

 

Still, Heung Soo's reply came right away.

"Can't today"

And with it came the regret - Nam Soon should have called. If he had called, he might have a better notion of how Heung Soo felt about it. With just one message he couldn't tell if the other was mad or just busy as he probably was.

In the end, he ended up spending his Saturday unpacking all the boxes he had previously organized back in their original place. He was indeed lucky that he hadn't returned the apartment keys and finished his contract, or else he would have trouble finding somewhere else to live in.

 

"When the war has took it's part

When the world has dealt it's cards

If the hand is hard, together we'll mend your heart"

 

The night came and still no message from Heung Soo all day. Nam Soon didn't bother to send him one - Heung Soo was probably busy, so Nam Soon did not want to bother.

He was in the middle of cooking his ramen when his intercom rang. He had no idea of who it could be - other from Heung Soo. If he could call him that, but Nam Soon had no other friend to visit him.

But Heung Soo was supposed to be busy today. That's why he couldn't be more surprised to see the other when he opened the door. Heung Soo was there, and although he did not seem to be so excited, he was really standing in front of him.

"Thought you were busy," Nam Soon said as the other walked into his apartment.

Heung Soo just shrugged as if it was not important. "Got canceled," he mumbled. Nam Soon couldn't tell if he was telling him the truth, but it didn't really matter because, after all, he was there.

"What are you cooking?" Heung Soo asked, approaching the kitchen and smelling that old familiar scent he hadn't felt for some time.

"Ramen," Nam Soon answered, turning off the stove. "Do you want some?"" He offered but picked up two dishes without waiting for his answer - Heung Soo had never denied ramen before so he did not think he would do it now.

"Do you still eat this stuff?" He questioned as he accepted the bowl Nam Soon had just served him.

"Yeah, don't you?" He answered, sitting down at the table and being followed by the other, who sat down on the empty chair in front of him.

"Not like before," Heung Soo murmured. Nam Soon thought about those words, but in the end he chose not to bring up the subject - he didn't really want to get into that. He didn't want to ask. Heung Soo probably would not want him to keep remembering, so he would not.

 

"You can run into my arms

It's okay don't be alarmed

Come into me"

 

They stayed in silence, seated in front of the table. They didn't know what to say, and suddenly Heung Soo wasn't so hungry anymore. He rummaged the ramen with his chopsticks as Nam Soon looked at his, also without eating it. They both had so much they wanted to talk about. In the old days it was so easy to talk about anything, but now, even if they had so much to say, the words did not come.

Heung Soo took his ramen with the chopsticks, deciding to eat it and pretend he wasn't worried about anything. After eating he would think about what to say. However, he began to cough as soon as he took the first bite.

"Are you okay?" Nam Soon approached, worried that he had choked on something, while Heung Soo's face instantly turned red.

"You bastard, are you trying to kill me?" He barked, drinking the glass of water Nam Soon just offered him.

"Are you okay?" Nam Soon asked again as the other finally managed to calm down and stop coughing.

"This is ing spicy!" he grunted, pointing his plate with the ramen.

Nam Soon looked down at his and back at Heung Soo, annoyed. "No, it's not" he protested, taking some of the pasta to his mouth. He chewed with difficulty, his face slowly turning red as he tried to pretend everything was fine. But the food came down burning and the cough was impossible to control, forcing him to quickly drink his glass of water to relieve the burning.

"Told you." Heung Soo sneered, while Nam Soon finally calmed down, and stared at him ready to protest. But it only took a second and they both burst into laughter. And it was so natural. Those few minutes ago seemed so forced, but now they were finally laughing as before. Laughing in a way Nam Soon couldn't even remember the last time he did, but was probably about ten years ago. That was the last time he laughed honestly like this.

It would take a while - he knew it wouldn't come quickly, but gradually things would go back to the way they were before. And days like this would be as natural as their laughs.

 

"Baby cause in the dark [...]

that's when you need me there

With you I'll always share"

 

Heung Soo came back home around eleven o'clock in the evening. They had to cook new pot of ramen since the first round was not edible. Heung Soo returned home after he and Nam Soon watched a few movies, and he ended up falling asleep on the couch. Heung Soo knew he could have stayed, but for now he prefered to go home. Next weekend, who knows, he might stay - even if he didn't know if he would be free next weekend, but Heung Soo didn't want to think about it right now.

He went straight to his room, to that closed door - to the hidden wooden box that would finally come out. He kept the picture he tore apart previously. It didn't need to stay hidden anymore - nor did it need to be forgotten. On the contrary, it should be remembered - it wasn't supposed to be ripped apart.

He went back to his desk, where he got a piece of tape and used it to stick the two pieces together again - he and Nam Soon didn't need to be ripped apart anymore.

 

"You can stand under my umbrella

Under my umbrella"

 

[/CONTENTID3]
[CONTENTID4]
I'm sooooo sorry it took FOREVER to write this chapter :( it happened so much, I was really busy with work that when I arrived home I just wanted to rest... and then my mom came visit one weekend, and I went out all the others... when I finally got some rest at work I got sick and couldn't write... And when I got better I wrote it slowly because I was really lost with this chapter... I had a basic idea of what to write but still didn't have a full summary of it. I'll try my best to be faster with next one though I'll probably change my schedule to one update every 15 days... I'll try to fulfill it, but if I don't I'll explain in the fanfic's feed. Last chapters I had a full summary in my mind of everything, now it's not like that so it takes a bit more... (I have some plans but not as complete as it was before). Well, talked too much already xD. Thanks for Loserchick87 (http://infinitely87.tumblr.com/) , for reviewing this chapter for me!.
 
[/CONTENTID4]