The first day

Of PenPals and Cows

Subject: RE: With great power, comes great responsibility!! 

 

Hey Hey ChenChen 

 

I’m sorry I took a while to reply but I’m home now and I’m exhausted. Football practice was harder than I imagined and Coach was brutal- I think he’s on crack or something, there is no way a man his age would have so much energy -_- 

He made me the Captain tho which is AWESOME! It was mostly thanks to you, I even considered joining the team this year! One of my close friends’ been on the team since Year 7 and I swear I have no idea how he deals with Coach’s ! Funny story about him actually, he dyed his hair such a ridiculous colour to impress someone, I am done with that boy, he’s such an idiot! But hey, love makes you do ridiculous things right? School’s starting again for the new year tomorrow, so not looking forward to that, having to wake up early every morning *shudders* How about you? You enrolled to a new school yet? You moved to the countryside and you haven’t even told me whereabouts Yorkshire! T__T ChenChen, how could you? Don’t you love me anymore? ;) 

 

Haha ok I have to go now, mum’s getting on my case to get off the laptop and go babysit my sister. She’s going out with yet ANOTHER guy today, it’s been what? The 9th guy this month now. It's bloody ridiculous now!  

 

Have a great day!  

 

TTYL 

 

Xiumin 

-------------------------- 

 

Jongdae’s alarm went off at exactly 6:30 which made the boy groan in frustration. He hated early mornings and he hated school. He rolled over and turned the annoying alarm and rubbed his sleepy eyes. Today was the first day of his new school. Somehow, he managed to take a quick shower, enjoying the warm water cascade down his back, and brushed his teeth, and remembering to put his glasses on. In London, he was never made to wear a school uniform- that was only thing he liked about the school. He looked at the uniform he had to wear now with disdain. ‘Who the heck even wears a freaking suit to school?’ he thought as he started to dress. Slipping on his plain, dark grey slacks and white shirt, he turned to retrieve his tie off the bed. He didn’t even know how to tie a tie! Watching those tutorials online certainly did not help one bit, his attempts always came out messy and un-tie like.

 

Attempting to tie his purple and grey striped tie for the 17th time since, he managed to get a decent looking knot. ‘Ah it, mum will probably fix it for me later’ as he slipped on his grey blazer. He looked at himself in the mirror and actually thought he looked good for once in his life. The uniform fit well and suited his messy hair and glasses. ‘I’ll get all the ladies like this now’ he chucked to himself. He was the only one who had to start school today, Jongdeok started the week after which Jongdae got really jealous over. Sighing, he made his way downstairs for breakfast.  

 

 

Jongdae, all those tutorials and you still didn’t manage to tie it properly! Come here!” said his mother as soon as she saw him. He was way too tired to deal with his mum's nattering this early in the morning and just let her fuss over him.

 

"Honestly Dae, you're 16, you should take a little more care of yourself." she said fixing his tie and trying to brush his unruly hair. "I think it's time for a hair cut soon,"  

 

 

"Mum will you stop that now please." he said trying to get away from his mother's steely grip on his hair. "My hair is fine now will you let me eat breakfast, I already have to deal with going to a new school, I don’t want to deal with whatever problems you have of me right now." 

 

 

Jongdae definitely was not a morning person at all. If you feared for your safety, it was a good idea never to get on Jongdae's bad side in the morning, he couldn't help but snap at people when he was barely coherent with his own thoughts. Breakfast was a silent ordeal due to his outburst, causing him to chew his toast silently and his parents to sit there prodding at their meals, avoiding looking at Jongdae. This wasn't the first time this has happened and certainly not the last, you’d think his parents would understand by now. 

  

Finishing breakfast as fast as he could, he ran back up, retrieved his backpack, ran back down and out the front door with a "I'm leaving, see you guys later!" to catch the school bus. A large bus soon arrived at the bus stop and Jongdae boarded it as quick as he could, flashing his bus pass at the driver. He looked around for an empty seat and saw Chanyeol waving at him furiously, pointing at an empty seat next to Kyungsoo. He gladly took the offer; he couldn’t stand the looks the other students were giving him as he walked down the bus to the back where the empty seat was. He plopped down and greeted the boys who were looking at him with huge smiles on their faces.  

 

"Good to see you again man, wassup?" Chanyeol asked as he slung his arm over Jongdae 

 

 

"Trying not to fling myself of this bus right now to be honest." he sighed, "it's actually hell having to wake up this early, I miss the holidays." 

 

 

"No kidding, I wish I could go back to bed right now." groaned Bakehyun as he tried to keep his eyes open.

  

"Jongdae, are you ready to start a new school?" asked Kyungsoo. 

 

 

"Hell no, I dislike everything about school, and I hate this uniform, who's bright idea was it to make everyone wear uniforms anyways?" whined Jongdae. 

 

 

The boys continued to share their dislike for school as the bus slowed down and stopped near the school. "The bus can't reach the school because of the small road, we have to walk from here," Baekhyun explained to Jongdae as they walked down the narrow path, with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo bickering about nothing behind them. 

 

"Oh you see those students over there?" he pointed to a small group of students who wore a yellow striped tie, and then turned to point to another small group of students wearing a green striped tie. 

 

 

 "You see how they have a different tie to us?" Jongdae looked at his own purple tie. "The school is actually shared by three towns here," the boy said stopping to whack Chanyeol on the head with his hand for the dumb comment that just came out of his mouth.  

 

 

"The purple is for us lovely Beverley students, the green is for the Leconfielders and yellow is the Walkington lot." he carried on. "Apparently it was a waste of money to have three separate schools so they merged the three into one huge one and well here we are!" he did the silly wild gesturing action that reminded Jongdae of when he has dragged to the little café.  

 

 

The school in itself looked as if it was out of a futuristic world. Compared to the worn down, rustic look of the buildings in the area, the school practically shone in it's modern-ness and size. The school was separated into 3 different campuses, the Lower, Middle and Upper. The younger years were mainly situated in the Lower campus whilst the older years, in the Upper. Baekhyun showed Jongdae the way to the reception of the Upper campus to sign in and find out his tutor group. Walking into the reception, he thought it looked more like a hospital than a school, with it's squeaky white floors and the distinct smell of disinfectant. Baekhyun had left him to talk to the old lady at the desk, muttering something about trying to finally get his rightful seat next to Chanyeol. The lady looked at him and asked for his name.  

 

 

"Hello my name is Jongdae Kim. I transferred over from London?"  

 

 

"Ok hold on a second dear, I'll just get your details and then get you settled into your new classes." the lady beamed at him as she continued to clack away at her keyboard. "Ok, your class is on the 2nd floor, and your teacher is Mr Sheppard, pop by the Head of Year's office first, that will be the first door on your right when you get up there." 

 

 

Jongdae nodded and thanked her before setting off to find his class. He noticed a large notice board near the staircase and stopped to take a look. The notice board contained many different leaflets and newletters and pictures but one particular image caught his eye. It was the football team, more specifically the football team he watched practice with Baekhyun, recognising the short chubby boy and the pink haired boy he had pointed out.  

 

 

Suddenly, he heard a loud shrill noise and looked at his watch. It was 9am and classes were about to start soon so he quickly climbed the stairs to his new tutor class. After dropping by the Head of Year's office to pick up a few things he'd need (a small map of the school, rules he had to abide by and his timetable), he stood in front of his class. Feeling nervous, to the point where the butterflies felt like they were stabbing him, he raised one fist and knocked on the door. The door swung open to a very happy looking teacher and about 25 staring students. Recognising only Kyungsoo, he offered a small smile at the class and introduced himself as he was let in. 

 

 

Kyungsoo offered him the empty seat beside him, which he took gratefully. The boy explained to him how the school system worked, and explained his rather confusing looking timetable. Every morning was to be spent with the tutor class, in order to get informed of any important news or teachers checking in to see how students are doing. English Literature and Language, Science, Maths and PE were compulsory and had to be attended whilst the other subjects were of Jongdae's choice. He picked Psychology, Art and Music, due to his parent's wishes and his own passion for the arts 

 

 

The shrill noise went off again which signalled the start of the rest of his day. Picking up his bag, he slowly made his way to double science- just thinking about it made him shudder, not that he hated science, he just didn’t want to do it so early on a Monday. Just narrowly finding the right room in the Lower campus, he sat in the first seat he could find and caught his breath. 

 

 

"Mr Kim I presume?" a deep voice came from somewhere behind him and he turned. "You were almost late to my class and I do not tolerate lateness. But welcome to the school and I hope you can ensure to stick by the rules whilst you are in my class." The teacher sauntered off to the front to get the student's attention. Jongdae took out his notepad and pen and sat forward to listen to the teacher drone on about cellular mitosis or whatever, he zoned out after the first 20 minutes.  

 

 

The 10 minute break he had before the next lessons started went quicker than he expected, not even getting the chance to find his new friends, to moan about how much of a total Mr Taylor is and how utterly boring his lesson was. Thankfully, double maths with Mrs Bell went past quickly, he didn't know how much he could stand of her terrible high pitched voice explaining how to find a missing angle on a triangle. 

 

'Thank god for lunch' he thought, as the shrill noise rang across the building. He grabbed his bag and made a beeline to the cafeteria he walked past when he was on his way to maths. He scanned the cafeteria for the boys and saw them sitting in a small corner and quickly ran over. "Hey guys," he said breathlessly as he collapsed into an empty seat.  

 

 

"Hey man what's wrong, you look like right now," asked Chanyeol, which earned him a slap under side the head from Baekhyun 

 

 

"Dude, you can't just say that!" 

 

 

"And you can't keep hitting me like that Baek, it hurts!" 

 

 

The boys began to bicker which caused a few students to glare at them for making so much noise. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and asked how his first day was going so far. 

 

 

"Well Mr Taylor's a total and Mrs Bell could try to speak a little less with that annoying voice of hers, it's been exhausting, and I keep getting lost, how big is this bloody place, how do you deal with it everyday?" rambled Jongdae, taking his lunch out of his bag- he hated cafeteria food after contracting food poisoning once. "Ok guys you can stop that now, people keep looking at us and I don't like it, it's hard enough being the new student you know," the two boys fell silent as Jongdae glared at them.  

 

 

"Mr Taylor huh? Had him last year, total nightmare, good luck surviving his lessons." said Baekhyun, breaking the awkward silence. 

 

 

Jongdae laughed and soon the four boys fell into conversation not noticing the time. The shrill noise, which he found out was the bell, indicated lunch was now over, causing him to frantically pack his lunch box away and complain that he was going to get lost again and it was their fault he didn’t realise the time because he wanted to leave at least 5 minutes before.  

 

 

"Dude calm down, what do you have next?"  

 

 

"Art." 

 

 

"Then it's totally fine, you have art with me!" exclaimed Chanyeol, "I'll show you the way and Miss Butler's a push over anyways, she won't care if you're late!" 

 

 

"Ok then, I think I can trust you...maybe..." Jongdae slowed down, and the pair walked towards the door, the other two boys had already run off exclaiming they were going to be late too.  

 

 

Jongdae opened the door, 

 

 

right into a short, chubby boy's nose 

 

 

who had happened to be holding a cup of tea in his hand 

 

 

which had happened to spill all over the front of his shirt 

 

 

which also had drops of blood falling from a bloody nose.   

 

 

"Oh ." 

 

 

To: Xiumin 16:50 8/9/14 

my life.  

 

-------------------------- 

 

Author note: Hey!! I hope you liked this chapter!! It was fun writing it even though I procrastinated for a few days! It will get much more interesting now! :) Thank you for the lovely comments and subscribing!! :D