Dates, Ferris wheels, and Shocks

Of PenPals and Cows

----------------------------------- 

Minseok giggled, “You’re so cheesy Jongdae!”

“I can’t help it when I’m around you,” Jongdae winked at Minseok, and laughed loudly. The pair broke the embrace and began strolling through the town.

“So where are you taking me?” asked Jongdae, tilting his head as he looked at the other. Minseok smiled at him and tapped his nose.

“It’s a surprise, but you’ll love it.”

Jongdae just smiled and followed after the boy, walking as close as he could to the other- leeching of his body heat. Minseok chuckled and slipped his arm around the other’s waist and held him closer. They walked at a slow pace, enjoying each other’s company, making small talk as Minseok lead them towards the twinkling lights in the distance.

“The funfair!” Jongdae gasped, when the ferris wheel came into view. He turned to Minseok who smiled back at him.

“You remembered,” he said, “I haven’t been to a funfair in ages!” He excitedly began pulling Minseok towards the stalls, bouncing in happiness. Minseok watched the other, enjoying how beautiful Jongdae’s smile was when it reached his eyes. The look of pure childish happiness on Jongdae’s face brightened Minseok’s world and he promised himself he would always be the cause of it.

“Min, win me that giant cat plushie please?” Jongdae pouted at Minseok, pleading and whining, “Look it looks like me, please please please?”

“Okay, come on you big baby,” Minseok gave in, and Jongdae bounced off causing the other to run to keep up.

They soon stopped in front of a duck shooting stall and Jongdae shoved the gun in the others hand. Minseok straightened up, and winked at Jongdae- flexing his arm as Jongdae blushed slightly.

Minseok soon realised it wasn’t a good idea to show off in front of the other, as he missed every target and put the gun down embarrassed. Jongdae giggled at the other, linking his arm with him as they walked away from the stall.

“It’s okay Min, you tried,” he teased as he walked, leaning his head on Minseok’s shoulder.

“I’ll get that cat for you don’t worry, I’m a man of my word.”

Jongdae snorted, “Sure you are,”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!” Minseok gasped, looking shocked whilst Jongdae laughed loudly, running off.

Minseok stood where was, shaking his head at Jongdae’s silly antics with a fond smile.

“Minseok hurry up! The ferris wheel is getting full!” he heard Jongdae shout, and he ran as fast as he could.

When he caught up to the other, he was greeted with a pouting face.

“Min, they said the ferris wheel isn’t open yet.” He whined.

“Let’s kill more time then, wanna get candy floss?”

He chuckled at how Jongdae’s face brightened at the mention of candy floss. He linked their hands together as they got their sweet treat. They sat on a nearby bench, Jongdae instantly devouring the coloured sugary strands. Noticing Minseok watching him again for the third time this date, he looked up to see Minseok who only reached over to wipe a strand of candy floss from his chin.

“Are you enjoying yourself today Dae?”

Jongdae blushed and nodded. “Yes I am, thank you for bringing me here.”

“It’s feels like yesterday I remember how much fun I used to have at funfairs.” He said, remembering the fond memories he had.

“Mum used to love taking all three of us, we’d go every year, until she kicked Jonghyun out. We haven’t been to one since.”

“She caught Jonghyun with a boy at the funfair, kissing and it made her furious. Finding him in bed with the boy a few weeks later was what made her snap.” He said frowning, it was only when Jonghyun had told him the full story did he realise the actual reason behind his mother’s actions.    

“Funfairs remind me of when we used to be so happy with each other. So, yes I’m glad you bought me here. We can make new memories together.”

“Happy memories,” agreed Minseok, bringing the boy in closer for a hug.

Jongdae hugged him back, enjoying the warmth the other had. A slight cough made Jongdae look up at Minseok, who was beginning to lean in closer. Jongdae’s heart began beating rapidly, hoping Minseok couldn’t hear it. Their faces were so close now, all Jongdae had to do was lean up and close the distance, his eyes fluttered shut.

Minseok’ lips never reached Jongdae’s as the other had leaned right over and stolen a huge bite out of Jongdae’s candy floss to which Jongdae could only punch the other over and over, whining about the loss of his precious sugar. Minseok just grinned, it was worth it, worth seeing Jongdae’s soft features fall into serenity, he looked like an angel and there was nothing more he wanted to see again.

“The ferris wheel is open, are you coming?” asked Minseok, avoiding one last punch from Jongdae, and held his hand out for the other to take. Jongdae got to his feet and clasped his hand in Minseok’s, as they strolled to the now open ferris wheel.

“2 tickets please!” said Jongdae, his eyes shining brightly in the colourful lights that adorned the ride.

They boarded the cabin, a bright pink on because it was Jongdae’s favourite colour, and settled in with the pair sat opposite each other. Jongdae twisted around in his seat, trying to enjoy all angles of the view, Minseok enjoying the view of Jongdae as he did. Soft mutters of amazement were often heard from the boy, as he watched the whole of the countryside light up as night was falling.

“Jongdae,” Minseok softly called out to the other. Jongdae turned, not realising how close Minseok had towards the other. He blushed at the close proximity, he could feel Minseok’s hot breath and his heart pounded.

Minseok leaned closer and closed the distance between them, pressing his lips against the other’s own. Jongdae kissed back, pressing in harder and hands tangling in Minseok’s hair as he bought them closer.

Minseok was the first to break the kiss, leaning his forehead against Jongdae’s, who was breathing heavily.

“I’ve been waiting forever to do that,” whispered Minseok, smiling widely at Jongdae.

“You should have done it sooner,” said Jongdae before pulling the other into another kiss. He felt Minseok chuckle against him.

As the ride came to an end, the pair had to separate, not that Jongdae really wanted to. They hopped off the ride together, hand in hand, and cheeks pink and flushed. It was getting late, and Jongdae had to go home so Minseok offered to walk the other home. They walked slowly, still hand in hand, a comfortable silence fell between them. When they had reached Jongdae’s house, they stopped in front. Jongdae reached over and pecked Minseok on the cheek, whispering a thank you before skipping in to his house. Minseok laughed at the other and headed on home himself, whilst looking through the photos he took of them on their date.

As Jongdae closed his front door, he stood there a while, remembering the day he had with a goofy grin on his face, before a call from the living room snapped him out of his daydreams.

“Jongdae is that you?”

“Yeah!” he called back, and slipped his shoes off before walking into the living room.

He froze when he saw his parent, Jongdeok and Jonghyun in the same room. Only Jonghyun wasn’t alone. He was holding hands with Kibum, his boyfriend, and chills ran down Jongdae’s spine as he thought about his parent’s reaction.

Jonghyun spoke up.

“We’re getting married.”

For the first time that day, Jongdae was speechless.           

-----------------------------------