The new boys

Of PenPals and Cows

-----------------------------------

To: [email protected]
From: [email protected]

Subject: RE: HECK YEA Internet’s back!!

Hey!! My internets back!! *happy dances* Dad set up the WiFi after lunch, looks like he couldn't survive without internet too! The movers came today and dropped off all our furniture. The idiots almost broke mum's precious lamp in the morning, you should've seen her face! But at least I have a proper bed now! I found a really cool place in our house- the rooftop. There's this staircase going up to it and like it was amazing!! You could see a lot from up there! The stars are pretty cool too; I couldn't see many stars in London. How's your day going? :)

Chenzi!

-----------------------------------

The movers came at 8am on the dot. Jongdae somehow managed to pull himself up out of the hard, cold bed and trudged towards the bathroom to wash up. He looked at himself at the tiny mirror on the wall. His eyes were pinkish and his soft, brown hair was messy and stuck up in odd places. He tried to tame his hair as much as possible before giving up and brushing his teeth. His hair was always a terror to style; it was thick and always messy. He was too tired for a shower now and walked back to his room to retrieve his phone and glasses. He heard the doorbell and made his way down to help his father bring in the furniture. 

“Hey Dae, can you grab that chair quickly, take it to the kitchen and come back for the rest?”

“Sure” he picked up the chair and set it down in the large kitchen. His mother already had the box containing the kitchenware out on the counter top. 

“Oh good you’re up, breakfast should be ready in about an hour okay, go wake your brother up once you finish with your dad.”

An hour passed and he had bought in all the kitchen furniture and starting to bring in the living room furniture. He made his way upstairs when he got a message on his phone

From: Xiumin!  09:12 7/9/14

Hey wish me luck; I’m trying out for the football team today!! (Can you believe try-outs are on Sunday?? -___-)

To: Xiumin! 09:14 7/9/14

Good Luck!! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

He locked his phone and proceeded to wake his brother. Jongdeok was always a heavy sleeper, he’d sleep through anything- even if there was an apocalypse happening, he’d still sleep through it. He pulled the covers off him and yelled for him to get up. “What the man I was sleeping!” Jongdeok whined. 

“Mum said you have to get up now, breakfast is in 5 minutes, you have to help us bring in the rest of the stuff and watch your mouth will you?” Jongdae retorted back. 

Sticking his tongue out whilst his brother's back was turned, Jongdeok made his way to wash up. Jondgae walked back downstairs and entered the kitchen to see him mother already laying out breakfast. His mother's cooking always made him feel better and right now he could use some comfort. He couldn't get much sleep as he had hoped because a few crickets decided it'd be fun to make noise all night. "Mum why did we have to move here, why? What possessed you guys?" he groaned as he sat down at the table, with a plate full of pancakes. “Seriously mum, why? I couldn’t sleep the entire night, the crickets wouldn’t stop that horrid noise and I swear I heard a cow join in” he said, stuffing his mouth. 

“We moved because your father found a better job here, and don’t talk with your mouth full!” his mother said, as she tried to wipe his mouth with a napkin. Jongdae tried to squirm away but proved to be a useless attempt as his mother continued her attack. He didn’t notice Jongdeok coming down the stairs and witnessing the entire scene before joining in. He could never resist helping his mum attack Jongdae. 

“The furniture is basically nearly all set, why don’t you two take a walk around the area? You know; get used to it before you start school tomorrow?” his father suggested as he walked in to the kitchen, wiping his hands. 

“That sounds like a splendid idea boys, why don’t you do that?” their mother asked.

“Mum you just want us out of the house, you could’ve just said you know,” said Jongdae as he got up to place his dishes in the sink. “I guess it wouldn’t hurt to explore the area though but I’m going alone.”

He made his way back to his room to get appropriately dressed. As much as he loved lounging around in his pyjamas, he couldn’t exactly explore what he liked to call, ‘Cow Land’ in them. Dressing in a simple t shirt and a clean pair of jeans, slipping on his shoes, he grabbed his phone, yelled a quick ‘I’ll see you later mum, I’m exploring!’ and exited the house.

Being in daylight now, it meant he could clearly see his surroundings and what he’d have to call home from now on. He turned to take a look at the cottage, this was the first time he’d actually seen the house (it was too dark to make out any features last night). The white paint was slightly peeling and the roof looked like it could do with a quick fix. There were climbing plants growing all over one side of the house and the wall behind looking like it could collapse any minute. ‘No wonder dad got it cheap, this place is falling apart.’ He thought to himself as he walked down the path leading to a main road. He strolled down the path, often stopping to take pictures. ‘Since Xiumin is a country boy, I’m sure he’ll love these pictures’ he muttered to himself, flicking through the photos he took, not noticing he was about to collide into someone. 

“Woah there dude, you almost ran me over!” the boy laughed. Jongdae looked up and apologised, trying to stop himself from turning red. His first day here and he’s already done something stupid! 

“It’s okay man, just look where you’re going next time, the road here can get pretty congested!” 

Jongdae looked around, the place was virtually empty. He raised his eyebrow and looked at the purple headed boy as if to ask ‘Seriously? That was the lamest joke ever.’ 

“Ok, yeah that was a bit lame I agree. I’m Baekhyun! I live just down the road over there,” He pointed to some vague area but all Jongdae could see was a field. “Are you new here, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you around?”

“I’m Jongdae,” he held his hand out to shake the other boy’s hand. “Yeah I just moved here last night, took ages to get here,” 

“City boy then?”

“Yeah, London, this is my first time in the country and I’m not sure I like it yet,”

“Don’t worry man, you’ll get used to it, hey how old are you?”

“16” Jongdae was more a man of actions than words.

“Oh, I’m 16 too! Are you enrolling at East York High?”

“Yep, do you go there?”

“Yes! Oh how about I introduce you to a few people? I have a feeling you’re going to be in our class!”

“Sure I guess, I don’t have anything else to do,” 

Jongdae followed the strangely hyper boy to a small café just off the main road. He didn’t have many friends to begin with, his longest friendship lasted 3 years and he wasn’t even sure the other considered him as a friend. He was…happy, on his own most of the time. He was shy meeting new people, but for some reason he could talk to Baekhyun easily. He smiled thinking he could finally make a proper friend in ‘Cow Land’. On their way to the café, they walked past a small field where a bunch of boys were playing football. 

“Football practice. I don’t know why they make them practice on a Sunday, it’s mental.” Bakehyun explained as Jongdae watched the boys play. “That’s Minseok over there,” He pointed to a small, slightly chubby boy expertly dribbling the ball. “That’s East York’s star player but he’s never actually joined the team before. And over there,” He pointed to a slightly taller, pink haired boy. "is Luhan, he's also a star player but he's been on the team since ages. They're in the year above us but they're a bunch of mean gits if I say so myself." Baekhyun and Jongdae walked on, leaving the football team to get on with practice. 

"Here we are!" Baekhyun exclaimed whilst gesturing wildly at a small, run down café. "This is were the rest of us hang out all the time, cause Chanyeol's mum owns the place." Jongdae looked around the small place, still following the other boy and wondering who the heck Chanyeol even was.

"HEY BAEK! AND DUDE I DON'T KNOW! WELCOME TO THE CAFÉ! I'M CHANYEOL!" came a tall, elf like boy, grinning like the Cheshire cat, from the back of the front counter and ed his hand out to Jongdae. 

Oh. Looks like he knows who Chanyeol is now.   

He took the offered hand and shook. "Hello I'm Jongdae. I just moved here." he said quietly. He was used to being quiet around people, not often knowing how to form the right words to say to people. He was pushed along the café by Baekhyun, followed by Chanyeol who was still talking about god knows what to him- he tuned out a little while ago but Chanyeol didn't need to know that. 

"Oh my god Chanyeol, shut up! You're scaring the new boy, he looks terrified!" came a new voice from the back of the café, watching the three boys getting closer. "Hey, I'm Kyungsoo, I'm sorry you had to meet these idiots first." 

"Jongdae" came his reply. 

He ended up talking to the three new boys for hours (they never shut up once and were really wearing Jongdae down, in the good way of course) until his mum called for him to go back home. 

"Well, it was nice to meet you guys, I hope we can be friends in the future," he started before he was cut off

"DUDE of course!" said Chanyeol a little too loud. "you're awesome and we're pretty sure you'll be the perfect addition to our group!" 

"Yeah we agree with Chanyeol, which is really saying something" agreed Kyungsoo and Baekhyun.

"Hey what's that supposed to mean?!"

"Nothing sweetie, nothing..."

He watched the boys bicker before he bid his goodbyes, promising he'll see them tomorrow at school and left the café. He did get lost, like once- okay maybe three times- before reaching his house. He entered and slipped off his shoes before making his way into the living room where his family were sitting watching the telly. 

"Hey Dae, did you have fun?" his mother asked. 

"Yeah I guess so" he smiled as he remembered everything he did today. "I'm gonna go to bed now, I'm beat." he excused himself and went upstairs to get ready for bed. As he dressed into his grey sweatpants and his loose t-shirt, and brushed his teeth, he remembered the football practice he'd come across earlier. He remembered the two boys playing, looking elegant as they raced after the ball in ways only an athlete could. Maybe he could join a sports team at his new school, he never had the chance in London. Oh who was he kidding, his hand eye coordination was the worst, it was why he was always picked last to be in teams in PE class. He rinsed his toothbrush off and climbed in to bed, dreaming of only the two boys practising.

From: Xiumin 22:56 7/9/14 

I got in! Guess who's the new captain of the football team??!!! :D 

-----------------------------------

Author note: Woo Update! ah sorry this particular chapter is boring, I promise the action will start soon! Because next chapter is when Jongdae starts his new school! Also, Baekhyun Chanyeol and Kyungsoo have been officially introduced! I needed purple hair Baekhyun ok. Also mentions of (pink hair!) Luhan and Minseok! :) Thanks for subscribing and upvoting! <3