A New Start

Of PenPals and Cows

----------------------------------- 

“You’re what?” said Jongdae in disbelief. He sneaked a glance at his parents who sat in silent stony faced, refusing to meet Jonghyun’s eye.

“I’m getting married, and I want you to be my best man.” Said Jonghyun, smiling sadly at his younger brother.

“But,”

“But what Jongdae?”

“How…”

“Kibum proposed and I said yes of course,” joked Jonghyun, avoiding Jongdae’s real question. Jongdeok stood silently behind Jongdae, offering Jonghyun a small smile to show his support.

“Jonghyun, hyung, congratulations.” Said Jongdae, pulling his brother into a hug, unshed tears threatening to fall as Jonghyun quietly cried into Jongdae’s shoulder.

Jongdae was over the moon for Jonghyun, he was happy his older brother was happy, but seeing his parents act cold towards him made him feel angered, disgusted that a mother and father would treat their child like that.

“Of course I’ll be your best man hyung. Of course, I’d do anything for you.” Said Jongdae, holding Jonghyun tighter.

“Hey! Don’t leave me out!” laughed Jongdeok, joining the hug, as his two older brothers grabbed him closer.

“Jonghyun.” A voice rang out, silencing the three.

“Yes mother?”

“Don’t call me that, you lost that right years ago, and look at you, poisoning my boys.”

“I-“

“Do as you please, but don’t drag my sons into this filth.”

“Mum stop.” Jongdae said angrily, “Stop it. What’s your problem, why can’t he love who he wants?”

“How is this affecting you in any way? It’s his life, why are you damn adamant to rule over it. Let him love who he wants, support him through everything, be a mother.”

“Why did you give birth to him if all you’re going to do is kick him out of your life?”

“Jong-“Jonghyun held Jongdae’s shaking figure, and wiped the falling tears gently.

“No. She needs to hear this. She isn’t always right just because she’s our mother.”

“Mum. Dad. I have a boyfriend. His name is Minseok and turns out I’ve known him a hell of a long time, and guess what. I love him.” He said confidently as he glared at his mother, not breaking eye contact.

“Get out.” Said his mother, in a cold voice. “Get out of my house both of you now.”

“Gladly!” spat Jongdae as he turned towards his room. “Nothing will ever make me come back here.”

Jongdeok watched his brother stomp back to his room, and he turned to face his mother.

“Well then. It looks like you won’t ever see me again either.” He shrugged at his livid mother and walked back to his room, to help Jongdae.

Jonghyun’s eyes filled tears, Kibum rubbed his back to soothe the man. Upon hearing Jonghyun sob, his mother whipped her head towards the men and spat at them as she stomped off. His father, who was quiet through the ordeal, offered Jonghyun a wet cloth and slowly wiped the spit of him.

“You know, you were always my favourite son, no matter what. I love you Jonghyun, you, Jongdae and Jongdeok. Make sure you send me an invite okay?” he said offering a small smile at Jonghyun. Jonghyun sobbed harder, holding on to his father who looked as if he was about to cry too.

Jonghyun and Jongdeok came back, arms laden with heavy bags.

“Where will you go?” asked their father.

“We have a house here, they can stay with us.” Said Kibum quietly.

Jongdae’s father smiled. “My boys will be happy with you, I know it. Look after them well.” He held a hand out for Kibum to shake. Kibum took his hand and nodded.

He held his hand out for Jonghyun who took it wordlessly, wiping his tears away with the other. Jonghyun took a deep breath and held his head up high. Kibum held his other hand out for Jongdae, squeezing the others hand in comfort. Jongdae offered his hand to Jongdeok who rolled his eyes at the cheese but took it nonetheless.

“Thank you dad,” was all the boys could say before they left. Their father watched them disappear into the distance, wondering if there’d be a second chance to have his family back together again.

----------------------------------- 

The boys walked silently next to each other, the night alive with the sound of crickets.

“Hyung?” Jongdae said quietly.

Jonghyun looked at him smiling.

“Can I go to Minseok’s house, just for tonight?”

“Sure bud, I’ll see you tomorrow okay?” said Jonghyun, giving the other a hug.

Jongdae hugged back, “Thank you.” He whispered as he slipped his phone out of his pocket.

“Come on Deokkie, just me and you now, race ya!” laughed Jonghyun.

“Hey! Cheat! I don’t even know where you live!” yelled Jongdeok, running after the other.

Kibum chuckled. He hugged Jongdae goodbye, and ran after the pair.

----------------------------------- 

Jongdae clicked on Minseok’s number, waiting a few seconds before the other picked up.

“Hello? Jongdae?” said a sleepy voice and Jongdae felt bad for waking the other up.

“Jongdae? Are you still there?” the sleepy voice said, now more alert when Jongdae didn’t reply.

“Min-,” said Jongdae before he broke into tears again. Minseok soothed the other as much as he could over the phone, before Jongdae managed to croak a few words out.

“Can I come in?”

Minseok ran to his front door, to see a teary Jongdae.

“Oh baby come here,” said Minseok, pulling the other into a hug. He ran his fingers through Jongdae’s hair, and rubbed his back to calm the other down.

“Come inside love,” said Minseok, leading the other inside and pushing the door closed with his foot. He led the other upstairs to his room, Jongdae still clutching onto Minseok. Junmyeon popped his head out of his bedroom door and mouthed to Minseok ‘Is he alright?’

Minseok mouthed back that he was and Junmyeon nodded, going back into his room. Once the pair was inside Minseok’s room, he let Jongdae sit on his bed who instead laid down and curled up into a small ball. Minseok sat down on the other side and Jongdae’s hair gently.

“What’s up, what happened love?” he asked quietly.

Jongdae sniffed and pulled Minseok down so the pair were lying beside each other on the bed.

“Jonghyun hyung’s getting married and I got kicked out of the house.” Said Jongdae after a while.

Minseok sighed and held Jongdae closer.

“Shush, it’s okay now, I’m here for you.” He said, planting a small kiss on the other’s forehead. Soon, Jongdae’s soft sniffles died down to sighs until he eventually fell asleep. Minseok smiled at the boy in his arms until he began to feel sleepy.

“Goodnight Dae, I love you.” Whispered Minseok, before closing his eyes.

“I love you too.” Mumbled Jongdae and Minseok cuddled closer, both of them allowing sleep to take them.

----------------------------------- 

Morning came, and Jongdae woke up sprawled over a still sleeping Minseok. Not wanting to wake the other, he slowly shuffled out of the other’s embrace but was quickly pulled back by strong arms.

“Where do you think you’re going?” said a rough voice, still laden with sleep.

Jongdae gulped and hoped Minseok couldn’t feel the warmth spreading over his reddening cheeks. He wasn’t going to lie that Minseok’s morning voice wasn’t attractive to him.

Minseok chuckled at the silence, knowing that a hundred and one things must be going on in Jongdae’s head at that moment. Minseok leaned over and kissed Jongdae’s red cheeks before getting up. Jongdae hid his face in his hand whilst Minseok giggled at his cute boyfriend’s reaction and pulled him up out of the bed. Jongdae whined, not wanting to leave the bed.

“Come on lazy, don’t you want breakfast?”

“Minseooook pleaaase,” he whined

“You better get up before I tickle you,” Minseok jokingly threated the other who immediately shot up and out.

“Yes sir, I’m up.” He saluted Minseok before dissolving into laughter.

“But on the topic of breakfast, I can’t,” he said once he caught his breath. “Jong hyung and Jongdeok are probably wondering when I’ll be back, and I think I’d like to spend our first morning out of that house together.”

“No worried Jongdae, I understand, come on I’ll drop you back yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Thank you Minseok. Thank you for being there for me always.”

Minseok took Jongdae’s hand and squeezed.

“I’ll always be here for you no matter what.”

Junmyeon gagged behind the pair and Minseok whipped around to glare at the other and threw his shoe at his brother who ran before it could hit him.

Jongdae giggled, making Minseok laugh.

Minseok held his hand out for the other, “Come on let’s go.”

Jongdae took his hand, interlocking their fingers together.

Soon they were outside Jonghyun’s house, they had walked slowly to enjoy each other’s company as well as the cool weather.

Just as Minseok leaned into kiss Jongdae goodbye, the front door was thrown wide open by a grinning Jonghyun.

Jongdae groaned and Minseok blushed from being caught by Jongdae’s older brother. An equally excited Kibum came to the door and Jongdae groaned louder, missing the look his brother and brother in law gave each other.

Jongdae and Minseok were quickly pulled into the house, with Kibum yelling that Minseok had to stay for breakfast, and Minseok shyly agreed.

Jongdeok just watched the two couples from the kitchen table as they came in,

“Gross.”

And he walked away, smiling into his cereal.  

----------------------------------- 

Author's note: Thank you for sticking by me, I love each and every one of you cuties ♥