Chapter 3

How to tame a playboy

 

After a couple of weeks, Key had completely settled down in his new home and school. He had got friends pretty quickly and had become quite popular in a short time. Even Jonghyun was astounded by the fact that someone other than him was bringing friends in the apartment .

"How can you be so popular, you've been here only for a couple of weeks? You must have some kind of secret technique for getting friends!" Jonghyun teased Kibum one evening after some of his friends had just left home.

"It's just my wonderful personality!" Key answered with a smug smile, which made Jonghyun laugh.

"Wow, your ego isn't bad either... Maybe you could give me a couple of tips?"

"What, in popularity? Why would you need any advise, you're one of the most popular people in campus!"  Key was a bit confused by Jonghyun's question.

Jonghyun shrugged and said:

"Not in the same way. Yeah I have friends and yeah I get girls, but... I don't know about being popular. In a good way, at least. I'm just "Jonghyun, the campus playboy" . People don't actually like my personality that much. Even my friends probably hate me secretly. And I don't blame them, I can be a real sometimes. I just... don't know how to behave in some situations."

Key just stared at Jonghyun, surprised by his sudden confession. He hadn't even considered that Jonghyun could be feeling that way about himself, he always seemed so confident.

"Well... I don't really have any special tips. Just try to be genuinely nice to people, not just to get something from them. And when I say "something" I'm being delicate." Key gave Jonghyun a meaningful look.

"Huh?"

"Ok, I'll be indelicate. You can't be nice to girls just so you can to have with them. And... You probably should stop changing girlfriends like socks. That... That just isn't cool. Most people tend to find that annoying."

Jonghyun was quiet for awhile and Key wondered if he had crossed the line.

"To be honest, I don't even know why I do it. I just-"

Before he could continue, Minho appeared to the living room with a cute, black haired boy. Jonghyun jumped a bit and immediately stopped talking.

"Hey guys! Sorry, did we interrupt something?" Minho asked after noticing their faces.

Key looked at Jonghyun, who just smiled and said:

"No, nothing! Who's the cutie behind you?"

"Oh my God... Taemin is a guy, you know." Minho facepalmed and the boy behind him laughed. He seemed to be pretty used to be mistaken as a girl.

"Oh crap, really? Sorry, dude. Although that doesn't change the fact that you are super cute. For a boy, you know." Jonghyun smiled at Taemin, which made both Minho and Key glare at him for a second.

"Don't worry about it, a compliment's a compliment, so thank you. And it's not the first time, so really, no sweat." Taemin said with a smile on his face. Key felt like he had seen him somewhere before, but he didn't remember where.

"Have we met somewhere?" he decided to ask Taemin, because otherwise it would keep bothering him.

"Sort of. We go to the same dance lessons. I've seen you there and you're really good!"

Key could feel Minho and Jonghyun both look at him with a surprised expression on their face.

"You take dance lessons?" Minho asked and Taemin looked at him and then Key.

"Was it a secret? Sorry, I didn't realize!"

"No, no. I just... I don't know, it just hadn't come up before. Lee Taemin, right? Yeah, now I remember! You're one of the best dancers in our class, why would you say I'm good...?" Key's voice got a bit more quiet at the end of his sentence. Taemin blinked at him.

"Because you are! Everytime you dance, everyone seems to stop concentrating because they are watching you. I don't have that effect on others... I really envy you."

Taemin's words made Key blush a bit. He had always known he was talented, but he wasn't used to being smothered with compliments.

"Okay, I think this meeting of The Compliment Club is over. Come on Taemin, my room is over here." Minho stopped the conversation. Jonghyun looked at them and asked:

"Why are you in such a hurry? What are you gonna do?"

"Err, study."

"Study?"

"Yes, study! Now shut up. Taemin?"

  Taemin smiled at them and said:

"It was nice meeting you, Jonghyun. See you at dance class, Kibum!"

Then they disappeared into Minho's room.

There was a short silence between Jonghyun and Key, before Jonghyun got up and murmured something about going to sleep.

"What? It' only 7 pm!" Key said in surprise.

"Uh, yeah... But I have a date tomorrow morning since my classes start at 12 o'clock..." Jonghyun seemed a bit uneasy about saying that.

"Oh." Key just said. He didn't look very happy.

"Oh come on! I know what you said, but I can't just suddenly stop doing this! I have a reputation, after all." Jonghyun didn't like how Key was looking at him.

"I thought you just said you want to get rid of that reputation, that you want people to like you!" Key snapped.

"I-it's not that easy! What do you want me to do, cancel all my dates? What will I say? 'Sorry, I can't come because my roommate doesn't want me to date girls' ? " Jonghyun was getting frustrated.

"Who said anything like that?! I don't care even if you marry all the girls you date! Just forget it, do what you want!" Key shouted, went to his room and slammed the door behind him.

"You bet I will!" Jonghyun also shouted angrily. He stood there for awhile, staring at Key's bedroom door before angrily kicking the sofa and going to his room. He fell on his bed and stared at the ceiling.

Why was Key being so stubborn? Jonghyun's dating was none of his business. Although, his words did have some truth in them... Even though some girls were okay with one night stands, there had been some occasions when a girl had really been hurt after Jonghyun had said he doesn't want anything serious.

Jonghyun felt bad for yelling at Key. He had just tried to be helpful after all. He would have to apologize later. In the morning, then Kibum probably would have calmed down a bit.

 

------------------------------------

The next morning Jonghyun found Taemin and Minho from the kitchen, but Key was missing. He didn't have time to wonder what Taemin was still doing there because he was more interested in Key at the moment.

"Kibum went to our morning dance class a bit earlier. I should actually be going, too. Thanks again, Minho, for... everything." Taemin smiled and if Jonghyun hadn't still been worried about Key he would have noticed that Taemin blushed a bit after saying that.

"Well ..." Jonghyun sighed after Taemin had left the room and sat down.

"What is it?" Minho asked curiously.

"Yesterday after you guys left, we had a row with Kibum... "

"About what?"

"Well he said something about how I should stop dating so many girls."

"So? I say that to you every day!"

Jonghyun sighed.

"Well yeah, but for some reason it felt different when he said it. I don't know why, but I felt more guilty about it than before, and I guess that made me go into some kind of protective state or something and I got kind of mad..."

Minho just looked at him with a blank expression on his face.

"I guess he's still mad at me, too... I wanted to apologize to him, but since he already left..."

"If you run fast, you could still catch Taemin and ask him to take you to the dance studio. You could apologize to him there." Minho suggested.

Jonghyun blinked. Then he gasped:

"Choi Minho, you are a genius!"

Then he ran out of the kitchen and left Minho smiling there by himself.

---------------------------

Taemin had walked kind of slowly, so Jonghyun managed to catch him pretty fast.

"Oh, Jonghyun! Did I forget something?" Taemin was surprised to see Jonghyun. He was even more surprised to see he was still wearing his pyjama pants and a black wife beater (After Minho had scolded him about his ness before, he had started to wear more clothes while sleeping.)

"No, I... I was just wondering... if you could take me with you... to the dancing place? I have something to tell Kibum." Jonghyun managed to say what he had to say even though he was almost out of breath.

"Oh! Yeah, sure! It's just around the block, not a long way from here."

-----------------------------

Key had just finished warming up. He was just about to go put on some music, when suddenly Taemin came in the room with Jonghyun following him - in his pyjamas. Other dancers in the room were amused by Jonghyun's appearance, but he didn't seem to mind the giggling. He came straight up to Key and just stared at him.

"What are you doing here? Especially dressed like that! It isn't summer anymore, you'll catch a cold!" Key couldn't keep the worry out of his voice.

"I... I was in a hurry. Listen, can we talk in private? It won't take long, I promise." Jonghyun seemed a bit nervous. Key nodded and they went to the boys' changing room.

When they got there, they both just stared at each other for awhile. Then they both said at the same time:

"I'm sorry about yesterday."

They both just blinked at each other.

"Why are you apologizing? I'm the one who acted like a jerk." Jonghyun asked in surprise.

"I crossed the line. It's not my business how many girls you date or kiss or have with or-" Key realized he was blabbering and stopped. Jonghyun smiled nervously.

"Well to be honest, you're right. The way I play with those girls' hearts is not good. But it's hard for a tiger to get rid of its stripes, right? But I shouldn't have yelled at you. I'm sorry."

Key smiled and said:

"Apology accepted, but only if you accept mine."

"Of course."

Then he looked at his clothes and chuckled.  

"Did you see everyone's face when I came in the room?"

Key nodded and they both started laughing. But then he realized something and asked:

"Didn't you say you had a date in the morning?"

Jonghyun seemed to have forgotten that. He had left his phone home, so God knows how many phone calls he had already missed. But for some reason he didn't mind. He had a feeling he wouldn't have been able to concentrate at all if he hadn't settled things with Key, so if some random girl would get angry over it, then so be it.

"Oh yeah, I um... I canceled it after all. Didn't feel like going today." he told a little white lie. Key looked at him suspiciously, but let it go.

"So, now that I'm here, why don't you show what you've been learning here? I can't believe you didn't tell us that you dance!" Jonghyun pouted at Key.

"Well... I thought you'd tease me about it... It's not considered as the most manly hobby there is, you know." Key explained a bit embarrassed.

"Well you're not exactly the most manly man there is either, Pretty Boy." Jonghyun smirked.

"What did you call me?!"  Key's face turned a bit red.

"Pretty Boy, that's your nickname. But seriously, you don't have to keep that kind of things a secret from us. We're not like that, we won't tease you about anything. So no more secrets. Promise?"

Key looked at Jonghyun and smiled.

"Promise."

 


I'm back again! This chapter is a bit longer, but not too long in my opinion? While writing it felt like it would never end haha. I have to admit this chapter is completely winged. You remember I mentioned earlier that this was originally a story of my original characters, right? Well this chapter was not in that story. I have to change some things and make new things up, because the characters are a bit different from Jonghyun and Key and the original story is really short. 

I hope you like this chapter and thank you so much for 32 subscribers, I'm so happy ;__; <3

Ps. I just really really REALLY wanted to add Taemin in this story because he's my baby boy <3 At first I considered making this a JongTae story because they fit the original characters better, but since JongKey is my ultimate otp I just couldn't do it. So have a bit of secretive 2Min instead :3