Runaway

2nd Place

"I mean if you're going to look at me like that might as well make me enjoy it, Jayde." The man squat down to her to meet her eyes and reached out to brush her bangs away from her face. 

Jayde kept throwing him daggers. "What do you want?" 

He smirked and kept his hand near her face, he massaged her cheek temple. "You know what I want. It was easy to find you, I mean you ranaway without finishing our business." He grabbed the back of her hair pulling it backwords in pain. "Listen you took away what's mine, give it back." She chuckled and spit at his face he turned his face away in annoyance. "MAKE ME, DAVID." Jayde challenged him. "I ING KILLED THOSE CHILDREN. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE 40 KIDS." He looked at her in disbelief. "THAT'S NOT THE BEST PART, NO SWEETIE. THEY WERE GENTLE KIDS, SO EASY FOR ME TO BURN THEM ALIVE. OH YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE." She put enthusiasm into her words. "THEY WERE CRYING AND SCREAMING, BEGGING FOR MERCY. THERE EYES WERE FILLED WITH FEAR AND THEY WERE HOPELESS JUST LIKE STRAY DOGS.." Jayde laughed in his face. "I ENJOYED IT.EVERY.SINGLE.SECOND." David slapped her and banged her head aganist the car door. Once again she crawled on the floor, blood was seen coming from her lip. it she mocked him and he yelled in frustration, cursing at her he kicked her against the car wheel. Kicking her in the stomach several times while she laughed and he put in all his anger, kicking her again and again. By this point he was sure he had broke some ribs. She just smiled at him weakly and groaned in pain, he kept going until she out.

 

≈♦≈

 

Jayde slowly opened her eyes, only to squint them from the bright ray of sung light coming through the tall window. Taking  a deep breath she moved her body slowly but only to be in more discomfort, staying still in bed she tried once more to sit up this time forcing herself she did it in no time but the pain still over took her body. She groaned as the soreness from her abdomen ached, lifiting the t-shirt that was not hers she looked down and noticed it had been pathched and her brusies been taken care of. While making a face she felt a sting in her cheek, and figured it was from the slapping she deserved yesterday. Putting her suffering feeling aside she looked around and noticed once more it was not her condo yet it looked quite familiar and then it hit her, her thought not a stray of throb. It was Mr. TOP's home. Jayde got up too fast making herself dizzy, quickly regaining conscious she looked for her clothes and noticed it was placed next to her in a black paper bag. Walking out the door she checked for her wallet and cellphone. Coming to the living room she noticed no one was around or in the kitchen. Not wanting to talk to him she headed for the door that is until she was interupted by TOP who was coming in from the other side of the room.

"Leaving so fast Miss Lee?" He asked almost as of he was mocking her for some reason. She stayed in place and sighed. Jayde didn't want to hear questions or let alone be asked to stay and have breakfast. "I'm not going to ask and i hope you're okay BUT..." Jayde turned around to face him with a smile plastered on his face, she knew he was going to ask so she prepared herself to just snap at him. "But can I get a thanks?" She stared at him thinking what he could be thinking. 

"I'll write a check for the clothes that were borrowed and thanks for not taking advantage." Turning around to leave.

Inside the cab ride she thought how to break the news to her best friends. Getting glances once in a while from the driver she thought just how bad was it this time. Taking a shower first and then calling her bestfriends. When they saw her complex they lost it. 

"WHAT THE IS WRONG WITH YOU JAYDE!" Channie yelled once he saw her bruised face but when he saw the bandage around her tummy and big bruises around her arms he just plainly lashed out and reprimanded her. "Aww I feel hurt, you don't shower me with kisses and ask me a ton of times if I'm feeling okay. What happened?" Jayde pouted but he coldly ignored her, it's been so many times that sugar coating his mamma talks won't help unless he clearly tells her to stop with his stern side. Not that it stops her actions. While Nich just shook his head and slightly scolded her. 

Both friends sat as she told them of what had happened. "You've got to stop doing this, look what you bring upon yourself." Nich once again reminded her to stop doing that dirty business. 

Channie not wanting to look at her mistreated face he asked her once again how she ended in Mr. TOP's house. Clearly worried that he might have something to do with this. 

"Look all I know is that I fainted and next thing you know I'm in his condo."

"I mean you didn't ask him how you get there?" Channie asked.

"I wasn't in my mind to ask I was dying." She joked.

Nich offered to ask him at work. "Jayde it's not a funny. You seriously have to stop doing this, we weren't there this time imagine if that mad had kidnapped you, we won't always be around and it worries us. You're still a lady after all, imgaine if he or anyone else after you had taken advantage and tortured you." He made a statement. While she smiled like nothing. "Jayde listen for once."

"Geez papa I'm not a little girl. I'm listening." She rolled her eyes like a teenage girl.

Channie didn't want to ask but he did so anyways. "When are you stopping this? You've done enough. Stop, you also have a life it makes no difference." Jayde's expression darkened and both friends knew they that hit bullseyes.

Ignoring what he said she stood up and looked through the refrigerator. "You guys hungry? Oh I got nothing let's order. Want pizza? Chinese? Pick!" She commanded. 

Fed up with her ty excuse Channie got up and went to the restroom slamming the door hard. Nich said Chinese and Jayde began to dial while Nich went over to the living room searching for a movie, both ignoring the kid tantrum. 

After their order came and they sat down Channie finally decided to come out and with his head down like a young boy who was just scolded he apologized. Jayde patted the empty space next to her in the couch and he ran over to enjoy quality time.

The next day she stayed in wanting to avoid stares from co-workers or her employees. She made sure to make some calls to find out how David found her and what's going on exactly. After that she got a call from Nich letting her know that Mr. TOP indeed was telling the truth not only did Nich confirmed it from his talk but also the surveillance cameras, TOP found Jayde in a slump mintues after the beating in the parking lot after he left work so he haden't noticed the whole terrifying scene. Nich made sure the he took original tape just in case it got to the media not that it could since the security guards made a pledge to not release inside information or else it wouldn't end nicely for them. Channie on the other hand also paid some vists to get more information on the matter and his informants didn't seem surprise but they didn't exactly know anything or haven't heard anything yet. 

Jayde was in more pain than she showed and she needed to head to the hospital but in order to do that she needed to fly out of the country. She can't take the risk of being seen in and out of a hospital in China and she didn't quite trust the docters she needed her personal one. Taking the next flight to Los Angeles, Californaia, she boarded the plane. Once arriving her driver pullled up and she got a call from Nich. "So Kris is waiting for you and don't do anything funny to avoid it. Stay for the week and rest." Jayde paid her thanks and wonder what she would do if they weren't her friends. 

 

 

≈♦≈

 

 

"Yes mama, five fractured ribs and yes I'm taking narcotics to help with the pain."
She mocked Channie. "Kris sent me home and yes, he made sure to scold me also..." She looked up to see Kris walking in to his massive living room tired and annoyed. "Talking about the devil he just walked in with his arrogant and irratated self." Jayde put on the speaker. 

"Kris I told her but she is such a stubborn mule." Channie ranted. 

Kris looked up at Jayde who got up from the couch and looked in pain. "You okay?"

"Just having trouble to breathe in deeply."

"WELL FIVE FRACTURED RIBS IS YOUR ANSWER, YOU'RE WELCOME!" Channie yelled over speaker making Kris and Jayde laugh. "So why is Jayde at your house?" Jayde walked out the living room leaving both men to talk. 

"She didn't want to be alone in the hotel and she misses nanna's homemade meals." Kris sighed knowing it was partially a lie. He was always surprised by Jayde, she acts like a tough and cold hearted boss to everyone and family yet she's a total fragile kid who needs to be nursed by three idiots. Channie and Nich are brothers to her which Kris is just a close friend and tension between her father and his always making it hard for her father to accept Kris unlike Nich and Channie, especially the favorite, Channie. Mr. Lee took him under his wing when he found out he was an outstanding kid in this stuides and it surprised him since he was an orphan with no first-class background. In return Channie made his IT company huge in China and now that he transferred to the fashion industry Mr. Lee has no dbout he will make it number one. 

Jayde walked to the ktichen and found nanna cooking dinner. Helping her and the servants set up the table even though they refused her help she insisted. "When are you bringing my son in law?" Nanna asked her with such a motherly tone. Both walked out to the dinner table and saw Kris. "Here he is!" Jayde back hugged him while she laughed wishing it could happen. She knew the reason for staying at his manor was because she missed him, indeed Jayde was attractived to him, his golden hair and tall figure was not it but his way of treating her when they first me is what that made her fall for him.

Seven years ago she was attending an overseas school ball and a group of bullies ruin her night. It was the cruelist thing she had ever encounter, yes she was often made fun of but this put her to the edge and broke down to the point where her father made the school fall apart by revealing it's dirty secrets. Jayde was quiet but if you talked to her she was willing to talk, and that's what a group of girls did. They talked to her and offered to help her find a date, Jayde wasn't going to attend the ball but the so called friends encouraged her and she believed in them, she trusted them and for the first time she felt like they didn't pity her nor she needed the help of her sister to make friends because she did it all on her own.

That is until the day of the ball, while they were having dinner one of the girls dropped her plate on Jayde's dress and they went up to the hotel room so they could let her borrow an extra. While she was dancing with her date a girl grabbed her arm making her turn around only to be greeted by a slap on the face and the girl yanked off a piece of the gown Jayde had changed into. Everyone stopped dancing and it went quiet. "NOT ONLY DID YOU TAKE AWAY MY BOYFRIEND BUT YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO STEAL MY DRESS!?" The girl began to cry and Jayde was shocked and clueless as to what was happening. "WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU? I WAS NOTHING BUT NICE AND YET THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME?" The girl was the president of the school and an affable student to everyone, she was perfect not only that but she was also the daughter of the director of the school. She threw herself to Jayde and began attacking her making the boyfriend take her away before giving Jayde a dirty look. Not only were the students but also the teachers were in disbelief that Jayde had done something like that and it was the most terrifying feeling she had ever felt. They were looking down at her, the vibe she got from them was so strong they were against her and she felt cornered with so much hate that she didn't know existed in them. Jayde turned to look at her group of friends but they avoided her eyes, she sat there in the ground lifeless and frustrated, she heard someone say to stop acting like a victim and she tightly closed her eyes to hold back the tears that were proned to come out. It was a nightmare and no one stepped in to help her that is until a blonde guy put his coat around her and made her stand up. 

Jayde hid her head under  his coat and followed him to his hotel room, not asking where they were headed she followed at this point she couldn't think  what's the wrost that could happen. He sat her on the bed and watched her. Silence...It was silent and the tall guy started to worry she didn't cry, make a single movement, talk not even blink. He knew that she was in shock but she sat their dead.

"What's your name?" She asked in a low tone.

"Kris, yours?" 

"Jayde."

And it was still. Kris let her be and left the room to get food, he said he'd be back later expecting a respond from her but she didn't say anything back. After some time passed by tears began to roll down her face and she kept her eyes open, she rocked herself back and forth on the bed slowly telling herself it was going to be alright. She lied to herself and tried hard to hold back the tears but the more she avoided it the more the lump in pained. Eventually she let it flow and bawled her eyes out sliding down the bed she buried her face into the sheets. Crying silently she hit the bed letting her frustration out. Little by little it got more calm and she sobbed for a few minutes until she fell asleep in the same position. When Kris came back he carried her bridal style and let her down in the bed, he took off her heels and covered her with a blanket he had brought.

Once the morning came she changed into the comfortable clothes he brought and she didn't refuse his help at all. Sitting down while eating breakfast she finally decided to give him thanks. "Least I can do for what my sister caused." Kris casually said and Jayde's eyes went wide opened and put her head down in embrassment. "I'm sorry, I didn't know that was her dress and i swear I had nothing to do with it."

Kris sighed and put down the newspaper making Jayde nervous since he might have gotten mad. "I know it's not your fault, it was hers."

"No, it was mine."

"No you don't understand. They had this all planned out." Kris waited for her to cry but she didn't. 

"They? Why would..." She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. 

"Those friends of yours were my sisters friend and they used you to make her boyfriend get back with her, making her look like the victim. You just happened to be their target."

"I trusted them." She hanged her head low. 

"I know and I apologize on their behalf. Once I knew what they had planned I had to stop it but I was too late."

"It's okay and thanks. I had no idea of how I planned on getting out of there. By the way I'm Jayde Lee."

"I'm Kris Wu and no need to thank me." 

From this point in beyond Kris frequently checked up on Jayde and got close. Caring for one another in more than just a friendly way, that is until Jayde had to stop and let him go for everyones own good.