The Healing Touch (1/2)- Hongbin

VIXX Starlight One-shot Collection

Hello! Here is a Hongbin request for tripleKIMprinces . I hope that you like it. I had to do some/a lot of research for this, wanting to be as medically accurate as I could; but seeing how I am not a doctor, I won’t get it 100%; but I like when I get to do research for a story, even if it takes me some time going through multiple sources…Also, there was one aspect of the request I had to change, just so it would work with the information I found. Instead of his foot being injured, I wrote knee injury. I hope that is okay? I wasn’t planning on having this in two parts, but since it is taking me a little longer than I planned, trying to get all of the medical stuff close to right and all, I wanted to get something posted, I’m sorry.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy, please comment and subscribe, vote if you like! Also, I am still taking requests, and you can request more than once if you want to. Much love! Enjoy!

 

Hongbin stood with Hyuk, laughing at Ken who was goofing off just to get a reaction from the fans. The group had put together a last minute fan meeting since they had been so busy overseas and touring recently. They thought that this would be a good way to interact with their domestic fans and celebrate the New Year. So after talking to management, each member sent out a cryptic message over social media; they only provided a time, date and location. Nothing more. Since it was pretty much last minute, they had a lot of work to do in a short amount of time.

With the help on management, they gotten the outdoor location set up; outdoors to accommodate for a potentially large group; as well as getting some kind of food and drinks ordered and even planned out a few things to perform. Even though they figured that they would get somewhat of a large crowed, more fans showed up than expected, not enough to cause problems for those not a part of the fan meet. The boys of VIXX were in awe at the turn out, and it just further proved to them how amazing Starlights truly are.

Everyone at the event had such a great time and was disappointed when things started to come to an end and fans began to leave. Though most stayed, included to the boys and staff, to help clean up whatever trash was left. After all things were taken care of, and they were left with a select number of fans, the boys signed a few pictures or whatever the fans offered, even took pictures with them; just allowing them a chance to get a little one on one time with each member.

One of the fans had brought her younger sister to the fan meeting, who also happened to be a fan of the group. The child was around 7 and even though she was happy to meet her favorite group, she still got board fairly easily and liked to go exploring. And that is exactly what happened; the young girl got board as her sister was making flutter eyes at Ravi and walked off to look at the pretty pink and purple flowers.

From where Hongbin stood, he could see the child walking away from her sister and was worried/curious about where she was going and why her sister was not watching her. So to make sure that nothing happened to the young girl, he followed behind her, keeping a close eye on her. It was a little difficult to do so when some of the remained fans came up to him asking for a picture and autograph. His eyes looked up from the signature book she had to check on girl and in that moment, he noticed that she was getting dangerously close to the road; it looked like she was chasing something.

He looked around for her sister to see if she noticed that the little girl not longer beside her, but no one, not even a security member noticed the girl heading towards the road. He felt panic in him rise that no one but him was watching this child and no matter how polite he was to try and get away, the fan in front of him was just not getting the hint. Hongbin took his eyes off of the little girl a second and the next thing he knew a horn was blaring, scaring off the birds, and catching everyone’s attention. The older sister finally took notice of her sister’s situation and screamed her name.

Hongbin did not think twice before rushing towards the road, he heard the voices of his band mates and the fans screaming for him. But he did not think, only reacted, not even considering the possible consequences. As fast as he could he grabbed the young girl, pushing her to the side walk and out of the path of the speeding car. Time appeared to move in slow motion for those watching the scene play out like a movie. Hongbin was frozen, staring directly at the driver of the car as if he were a deer caught in headlights. Witnesses could only stare with bated breath as they sound of squealing tires filled the air.

From the impact of the car hitting his body in direct contract, he was sent flying over the front of the car, rolling down the back. He landed on the ground, face down in a bloodied mess. It took a full minute before anyone moved. No one believing what they had just witnessed. For VIXX, they could not comprehend that they had just seen their brother get hit and set flying by a car like he was nothing more than a rag doll.

“Hongbin!”

Ravi’s rang out through the air, finally breaking the crowd of the trance they were under. He and Hakyeon raced towards Hongbin’s fallen body, slowly and carefully turned him over to not do any more damage. The others followed closely behind them; all gasping at the sight of the scraps marring his normally handsome features. With a shaky hand, Hakyeon placed two fingers on Hongbin’s throat, checking for a pulse. He found one, but it was weak and let out a sigh of relief,

“Call an ambulance.”

No one moved which angered Hakyeon,

“Damn it! Someone call an ambulance!”

Their manager reacted, finally breaking from the shock and grabbed his phone to call the emergency number, along with a few other spectators who were calling in the accident, that way they would get a quicker response. The man who was driving the car was not standing by the boys. He was apologizing, trying to explain what happened from his point of view, and was trying to make sure that the boy he just hit was still alive. But for the moment, the five standing VIXX boys ignored him. Their main and only focus was on Hongbin and to help him the best they could until the ambulance arrived.

Leo stood back with Hyuk, fighting back his own tears as he hugged and comforted the youngest member. He was doing the best he could to keep the younger from seeing the mangled body of their fallen member anymore than he already had. That was not something that he needed to have a memory of. Hakyeon was also trying to consult the other members with him as they worked to stop the bleeding the best they could. As for the remaining staff and security, they formed a human shield around the boys, keeping the onlookers at bay and to control the situation by limiting the pictured that they might be attempting to take and post online.

Finally, after what felt like hours, the ambulance and police arrived at the scene. The paramedics made quick work of taking over Hakyeon, Ravi, and Ken’s spots; commending the three for what they did to help their friend to stop the bleeding. The paramedics went about attaching a breathing bag, and preparing Hongbin to strap him onto the stretcher. VIXX’s manager rode in the ambulance with Hongbin so that he could provide medical history, and be the acting agent or guardian until his parents are able to arrive and take over.

Back at the scene of the accident, police were going around taking statements from the witnesses, including the remaining members, fans, and staff. They were trying to piece together what had happen, figure out who is at fault and how to proceed. Reporters had also filled the location, delivering what was known about the current situation. People were speaking to the reporters and allowing claims of what may or may not have happened get tangled together, making it difficult to find the truth within the chaos.

 Hours later, Hakyeon, Taekwoon, Jaehwan, Wonsik, and Sanghyuk found themselves at the hospital along with their manager, Hongbin’s parents, and even their CEO in the waiting room together. The group of worried loved ones gathered awaiting for any kind of information to be given about the condition of one Lee Hongbin. Their manager had talked to Hongbin’s family to let them know what was going once they had arrived, but no word was given from the doctor since he was brought in and admitted. No matter who asked, no one would say anything about his condition and would just say for them to wait for the doctor to come out and talk to them.

Another hour went by when finally a man wearing a white coat over top his light green scrubs approached the anxious group,

“Family of Lee Hongbin?”

Everyone stood up, facing him but saying nothing, anticipation written all over their faces of the possible negative news he was about the deliver.

“Hello, I am Dr. Ahn, I am the one who over looked Mr. Lee’s treatment once he was brought in.”

“How is my son doctor?” asked Hongbin’s mother in brittle voice, weakened from crying.

The doctor let out a sigh, knowing that the news he had to deliver was not going to be easy, “I think that it would be best if everyone sits down before we go into discussion of Mr. Lee’s condition.”

Everyone took their seat and waited for the doctor to speak again,

“Obviously, Mr. Lee sustained a number of outer injuries. Scraps to his face, hands, arms, and legs from when his hit the ground, and even some glass from when he hit the windshield, that was the cause of the heavier bleeding wounds. But they all were minor nothing to really worry about, a couple of stitches and bandages nothing more.  However, our main concerns were the possibilities of brain hemorrhaging and internal bleeding as a result of the hit. Mr. Lee took quite a hit in all honestly, but he was also pretty lucky all things considered. His ribs are bruised and at least two were cracked, but thankfully there were none broken so there was no real risk of possibly puncturing a lung. CT Scans and ultrasounds found no other form of major internal bleeding, which is a good thing; that means that the body stopped the bleeding on its own, so no farther treatment was needed on our part for that.

“The CAT Scans and MRI’s also came back negative for bleeding on the brain, but since Mr. Lee is still unconscious, we cannot fully rule out some type of head injury considering the trauma he received to the head. So until he wakes up, it is unclear of the extent of his injury to the head. This could be a concussion to even possibly memory loss; we cannot be certain right now until Mr. Lee wakes up. A somewhat minor injury he suffered though was a dislocated shoulder, which most likely was a result of rolling from the car to the ground. We set the shoulder, wrapping it. It is nothing to really worry about; he will just have to keep it wrapped for a few weeks, maybe light physical therapy. Even though this is was not an overly serious injury, in the future he will have a higher risk of re-dislocating his shoulder and it could possibly get to the point where he might need surgery on the shoulder.”

It was Hongbin’s father who spoke next, “My son will wake up, won’t he doctor?”

“I am confident that he will, it is just a question of when. His body is trying to heal itself as well as cope with the trauma of what he went through from being hit with a car. I will not say that it will be just a few hours until he wakes up, maybe a couple of days to a week, but I am sure once his mind can wrap around the events that happened and his body is ready he will wake up.”

He offered them a small smile, as a wave a relief washed over the group as they all had been expecting the worse considering it had taken so long to hear anything. And for the boys who had witnessed how Hongbin looked after the accident, they did not expect to hear that he had not sustained life threatening injuries. But before they could be free of all worry, the doctor spoke again,

“I understand you all happy with the results, and I am sorry to say this is not a case of all good news to be delivered on Mr. Lee’s condition, there is some bad news. While not life threatening, I know that no one in this group will take it well. I am very aware of who Mr. Lee is and what he does for a living, my daughter is actually a fan and that is why it is a little difficult to give. The impact of the car to Mr. Lee’s left knee was severe and as of right now, I am sorry to say that Mr. Lee may not be able to continue as an idol.”

A collective gasp was heard in the silent waiting room. No one could hold back their tears, all relief they once felt left their bodies. All knew how much being an idol meant to Hongbin; how much he loved being on stage performing in front of their fans. And now knowing that that might be taken away from him and that he might never get that chance again, it was heart breaking. Hongbin’s father tried to comfort his wife as VIXX’s manager and CEO tried to comfort the boys.

“Doctor,” Hyuk’s broken voice caught everyone’s attention and turned to the teary eyes boy who had just pulled away from the death grip, also known as Taekwoon’s hug, “Is there anything that can be done to help my Hyung?”

All eyes turned to Dr. Ahn, anticipating what his answer would be. He remained silent for a few minutes, as if deep in thought. This caused everyone that there just might not be anything to do to help Hongbin. After taking some time to think, he finally spoke,

“For this type of injury, it is not my specialty; therefore I cannot give you a definite yes or no. However, what I can do is consult with my colleagues, and see if they can recommend someone who could take over his case and better evaluate his condition. I think that it is important to worry about Mr. Lee waking up and his state of mind when he does, and then we will cross that bridge of what to do with his knee when we get there. He has not lost the ability to walk, but he will be in a lot of pain, and there is a chance that he might not be able to partake in vigorous activities, such as those that come with being an idol. But for now, all we can really do is take this one step at a time”

Dr. Ahn was not unsympathetic towards the group of loved ones for his recent patient. As a doctor, of course he wanted to heal Lee Hongbin and get him back to 100%, but there is only so much that he can do within his field of medical study. The group was lucky that that was the worse of the news that they received concerning that the man in question was hit straight on by a slightly speeding car. He could have come out here to tell them that he was dead. In his mind, he would much rather have to explain the possibility of giving up one’s dream over have to start planning a funeral.

After Dr. Ahn left, a nurse came over to the group to let them know that visiting hours are over, but the family of the patient was more than welcome to stay the night. And then tomorrow, once visiting hours are open again the others can come back to see their friend. It took a lot of convincing, but their CEO and manager finally got the VIXX boys to leave the waiting room and go back to the dorm instead of staying at the hospital all night. They needed to rest and they were not going to help anyone stay and crowding up the hospital when they were not able to go back and see Hongbin in their room.

Once the boys returned to the dorm, all five boys were mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted. Everyone piled into one room to sleep, needing that closeness to act as a sense of comfort and support by being together. Each one wished there was more that they could do to help their brother to continue his dream and that they all could remain together. But for now all anyone could do was play the waiting game and until Hongbin woke up and see where they went from there.

 

“Yes Doctor Ahn, I did get the file you sent over… I just got it actually so no, I have not been able to look over it yet, but I have heard what happened…Has he woken up yet? I see… Well, I will look over the file and get back in touch with you to give you my opinion. Though to get a better feel of his case, I will want to meet with him one on one once he is awake to know if there is a chance I can help him…I understand that you are wary of consulting with me Dr. Ahn, considering my age, but orthopedics, specifically joint reconstruction is my area of specialty. There is a reason that your colleagues recommended me to you. I do not mean to come off as rude or arrogant, but if there is anyone that is able to help Mr. Lee, it is going to be me, even if I may not have the years of experience as others in my field…Thank you Dr. Ahn, you too…Have a good day.”

Doctor Kang Sujin hung up her phone and let out a sigh of frustration. Oh how she hated dealing with people who looked down on her, doubting her knowledge and abilities just because she was fairly young. It did not matter to them that she had graduated early and the top of her class, it helped to have an eidetic memory. But none of that mattered to fellow doctors when they see someone her age who is not just a resident at the hospital, because they do not find her as capable as those with years of experience behind them.

Sujin shook her head, not allowing herself to dwell too long on those thoughts, instead focusing on her possible future patient. She had heard about the accident on the news, it had cause her attention considering who the victim of the accident was. Even though Sujin was a doctor with an extremely busy schedule, she did keep up with the current music and had heard of VIXX, liked their music and found them cute. She was happy to be close to their age so she did not feel like a cougar about liking them. Though one in particular, whose case she happened to be reviewing, there was something about him that seemed familiar.

She felt like she knew him somehow, but was never really able to put her finger on it so she just played it off as fan girl wishful thinking. And right now she needed to get out of the mindset of a fan and back into the mindset of a doctor who is trying to help a patient. But still there was a part of her in the back of her mind, nagging and trying to figure out why Lee Hongbin seemed so familiar to her, and it would not let up, irritating her more, considering she does have an eidetic memory, but could not remember one person. Maybe once she met him in person, it would click on how she knew him.

At that thought, a small smile graced Sujin’s delicate features, “I am going to help you Mr. Lee Hongbin, make sure you get back on that stage again. And finally solve the mystery of why my brain wants to think I know you. So until then, just please wake up.”