The money

The scent of fame

“Take this,” Abujji said while handling a cheque to me.

I took a glance on the amount given and my mouth agape. A million won!  Just the perfect amount that appa want!

“Why so sudden?“ I asked. I have not told him anything. How did he know that I need money?

“You don’t need to keep anything from me Dayoung-ah. I know everything. Just take the money okay? It will help us a lot,” Abujji said.

Minseok must be telling him about this. Was he thinking that I’m weak or something? I can handle this by my own hands! What was he thinking?

“Thanks abujji but I will settle everything by using my own money,” I said. I don’t want him to pity me. I pushed the cheque back to him.

“ Dayoung-ah. Just let me get out from this place by using my own money. Just see this as my help for myself. I don’t need a very large amout of money though. Just use it.,” Abujjji said.

“Kendae, abujji-“I said, feeling guilty.

“I already told you Dayoung-ah. You are not weak. I f you are really that weak, you will just locked yourself at home and do nothing. I knew I can trust you as my daughter,” abujji said.

My daughter. My daughter. My daughter. Abujji’s voice echoed in my head. I felt so touched because even my biological appa was not as kind as abujji.

 He left me alone in the cold and now craving me for my money. He gave me pain but this non-related-to-me old man was still giving me hope. A tear slipped my eyelids without my consciousness.

“Aish, my baby. Don’t cry. It was just a little help though,” Abujji said, wanting to wipe my tears away but the officers called to tell that the visiting time has end. I waved my hand to him and went home.

At home, I slammed myself on my bed, crying. Why am I always bringing bad lucks to abujji? I was not helping either. He was always being my perfect abujji in my world but I’m his worst daughter.

 He was not even showing his hardness living in the prison to me but I know it was really painful.

My phone rang but I threw it to the wall, wanting to be alone. The battery slipped of the case but I really don’t mind about it. I can always buy a new one. I felt dizzy and my stomach aches due to period pain.

 I ended up sleeping with my hands on my stomach.

Few hours later, I found out a damp towel on my forehead my blanket covering my body. I don’t remember putting damp towel on my forehead or covering myself. I took a look to my right side and I saw my phone was in its normal shape beside my pillow. Who did all this things?

“You already wake up! Yaah.. really making me worried sick of you,” Minseok appeared while holding a glass of milk. How the heck was this creature get into my house? Oh! I gave the pass code to him yesterday!

“Oooh.. so.. why are you here?” I asked feeling a little dizzy. I remembered that he told abujji upon the money and felt a little pissed with him.

“Can’t you tell? I’m taking care of you. You are sick. You don't even answer my call.” He said, while putting the glass on a small shelf beside me.

What call? Oh, I threw my phone. Darn. He went near me and started to stretch his palm to my face.

“What are you doing?” I asked, sternly. I hold his wrist to stop him from doing anything.

“Checking your temperature of course. What are you thinking, silly.” He said while placing his hand onto my forehead.

“I’m fine now you just get your off my house!” I said, slapping his hand away.

“It’s not nice for a girl to say harsh words and your temperature is getting higher,”

“I can take care of myself,”

“Did I hear wrongly?”

“Why are you so annoying?!” I said while kicking the air. My blanket fell down and Minseok’s face changed.

“B..Blood,” Minseok said, pointing to my trouser.

I lose my energy for kicking and sat down with my legs folding outwards. He looked nervous and froze.

“It was just menstrual blood you pabo. Nothing much. Stop staring and I’ll take care of it. Huh. What a problem,”

“But it is so many,” He stuttered. He kept on staring my trouser until I felt very ashamed.

“I know. Ok, now just get out of my room and buy food. I’m hungry. Go.” I said while pushing him out.

I quickly take a hot shower and washed all the things that I need to wash. It took less than half an hour and when I’m out of my room, Minseok was preparing the food.

It felt like a newly-wed life. What am I thinking? NO!

“You’re done? Let’s eat our dinner!” Minseok said cheerfully. Food always made him happy.

While we were eating, I asked him about abujji.

“Hey, you told abujji about that money! Why did you do that?” I asked while stuffing the noodles into my mouth.

“I didn’t.” He lied. Please Minseok, it’s too obvious.

“Only you, I and appa know about this thing. You don’t dare to lie to me,” I pointed the chopsticks near his nose.

“Okay okay. I told him. Didn’t you say that you are going to seek for his help?” Minseok said.

“ I did, but not by using his own money!”

“He gave you the money?” Minseok said.

“You already know he will do that don’t you?” I said, narrowing my eyes.

“Okay okay I do. But that money will help you a lot, don’t you? Why can’t you just accept the money and settle down things?”

“I did accept the money.He always helps me every time I faced problems. I thought I should have paid him back.”

“So that’s what you were thinking. I can see there’s kindness in you despite your arrogant self,”

“What arrogant? Oww..” I said but this stupid period pain was very bothering me.

“Dayoung-ah? Gwenchana?” Minseok asked while stopped eating. I think he knew my problem and said that he would bring me to my room.

I told him that it was very painful till I can’t even walk. He placed his arms under my knees and my shoulder and lift me bridal style. I was very shocked by his action but the stupid pain prevents me from doing anything. He slowly placed me on my bed and made me a ginger drinks as it will heat my body up.

I don’t want him to see me in this weak state so I asked him to go back home. He went back and told me to call him if I need his help. I fell asleep despite the pain in my stomach.