Get Ready

Marry Me!
Please log in to read the full chapter

“What?” Tao shrieked as he jumped to his feet. “Since when was the wedding next weekend?”

“Sorry, honey. Your father talked it over with Kris’ father and they wanted it as soon as possible. We sent all the invitations out already,” Mrs. Huang tried to calm her son down. “And most have already RSVPed. The wedding must go on.”

“But, moooommm! He’s mean! I don’t like him!” Tao stomped his feet. “And we only met a few days ago!”

“Huang Zitao, you’ve already agreed. Now stop sulking and come along. We need to get your suit tailored for you.” Mrs. Huang looked sadly at her son. She knew it was wrong to force him into an arranged marriage, but her husband threatened saying that either Tao do one thing and marry Kris or listen to everything else he says, meaning changing majors, career plans, and so on.

Tao pouted as he followed his mother out. He got into the passenger seat of his mother’s car and sighed aloud, “How long will this take, mom?”

“Not too long,” Mrs. Huang replied.

******************************

“So soon?” Kris asked when his father broke the news to him.

“Yes, get ready,” Mr. Wu said. “This wedding will be perfect. I don’t want anything to go wrong this time, got it?”

“Nothing will go wrong,” Kris said flatly. Kris had no time to listen to his father’s threats with his latest big project under way.

“Good.” Mr. Wu stood up and brushed his stiff suit which was already perfectly clean.

******************************

“I can’t believe I’m getting married!” Tao wailed to his best friends, Sehun and Kai.

“Woah, you weren’t joking?” Sehun’s asked while scratching his head, his blonde hair a similar shade to Tao’s.

“I can’t imagine getting married,” Kai wrinkled his nose, his brown hair flopping as he jumped onto Tao’s bed.

 “Come in,” Tao sighed when he heard a knock.

The door opened gently to reveal Lay, Tao’s older brother, “Tao? Are you sure you’re fine with this?”

“Yes,” Tao pouted. “Laaayyyy, why are there still arranged marriages in this centurrryyy!”

Lay smiled softly as he sat at the edge of Tao’s bed, “I’m sorry, Tao. It’s my fault you were dragged into this.”

Tao rested his head on Lay’s lap, “No, it’s not. Dad approved of Suho a long time ago. He wouldn’t have set you up with anyone else.”

Lay patted Tao’s hair, “How was the meeting with Kris? I’m sorry I wasn’t here for that.” Lay was enjoying a short weeklong vacation with Suho when he received the news of Tao’s marriage. Knowing full well that it was his father’s doing, he quickly cut his vacation short and came back. Lay couldn’t believe his parents didn’t even tell him about it until it was all decided.

“He’s a big fat meanie!” Tao whined.

Sehun and Kai rolled their eyes.

“Big fat meanie?” Sehun snickered.

“How old are you again?” Kai snorted.

“Yes,” Tao pouted. “He’s a big fat meanie. And I am twenty, and an adult. What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” Lay said gently. “You’re still such a baby, Tao. I’m a bit worried having you marry so young.” Lay was guilty of babying his little brother as much as their mother was. They always made sure to keep Tao happy and persuade Mr. Huang whenever he didn’t agree to let Tao do something.

“And his mentality is even younger,” Sehun and Kai high fived each other childishly.

“And I’ll have you two know, both of you are just as childish,” Suho reprimanded Sehun and Kai as he entered Tao’s room.

“No wonder you three have been best friends ever since you were little,” Lay chuckled.

“Suhooooo,” Tao called out as he reached his arms out.

“I heard the news,” Suho walked over and leaned down to give Tao a hug. “Well, I actually have a wedding invitation as well,” Suho produced his invitation.

“I’m too young for thissss!” Tao complained. “I want to find someone cool and handsome! I want to go on dates and fall in love before marrying,” Tao’s eyes sparkled. “And then of course we’ll live happily ever after.”

“Happily ever after,” Sehun and Kai fell into another fit of giggles while Suho and Lay shushed them.

“It’s okay,” Suho rubbed

Please log in to read the full chapter