Lucky Cat

A Ghost's Last Gift

Chapter 2: Lucky Cat

 

It’s 2 AM and I am damn low on battery. The chocolate stain on the floor is burning out all of my patience and good vibes. Why does this cake shop have to be open for 24 hours? No one ever goes here in the wee hours of the night.

 

The only good thing being the cashier, the janitor and the security guard of this shop in graveyard shift is that I have the place for myself and I can daydream without people thinking that I have a loose screw on my head. I have less work to do, too; I earn money just for staying awake.

 

I sat at one of the shops pink, cushioned seats when the chocolate stain decided to go away and make my life a whole lot easier.

 

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

 

 

With nothing left to do, my mind travelled through that colourful but embarrassing tunnel once again. It has been two awful months since my first fansign and everything is still vivid; all is recorded in my memory like a movie scene. Unlike a movie, however, the feelings are still raw and true, a painless, tugging wound that I can always turn back to when I’m alone, to entertain myself. I bow my head at my own personal videos I took with my eyes, the teensy-weensy smile turned into a broad and gummy one which eventually became a mortified and twisted pout. I can feel the same, exact heat on my cheeks when I relive the longest five minutes and thirty two seconds of my life.

 

One thing’s for sure though: I miss him, like crazy. I thought seeing him once would make me move on and concentrate on surviving the ball of misfortunes God has thrown me called “life”. But no, he’s like a curse, I looked into his eyes and my soul got tangled with the depth of his stare; I always have to chase him so I can get it back.

 

To be honest, I myself, am shocked Jonghyun can make me think like this; in metaphors and in an animated way. I know, in his eyes, I’m a total idiot but in hours like this, I’m a genius who thinks so deeply, I can write a song he won’t be able to decode. Three months ago, at this exact hour, I came up with my “gift-chain” idea. It’s the most brilliant thing I came up with in my whole life, I am so determined to do it until the end.

 

The chime on the front door rang in my ears. I rolled my eyes at whoever it is for ruining my train of wonderful thoughts.

 

I quickly got up, smiled a not-so-welcoming smile and bowed.

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo! Welcome to Coo Coo Cake!”

 

As I got up from my 90 degree bow, I took two steps back, covered my mouth with both my hands and tried to cage the squeal of shock and flabbergast that was almost about to escape. I forced the saliva that was forming just before my throat; I swallowed so hard that it made a sound. It’s that wild heart beat again; like a rouge gorilla that wants to get off its chains.

 

Two meters away from me stood two men; the first one to get in was a little bit taller than the second one. He wore a black, cotton hoodie which covered until his forehead and in the dim light of the shop, I can still see the strands of his blonde hair.  Half of his face was covered in a white mask with big red lips drawn into it. His chinky, sleepy eyes had the look of i-don’t-want-to-be-here-at-3-in-the-morning-but-someone-was-so-persistent-and-i-didn’t-have-the-energy-to-decline.

 

The second person to come in the shop wore a grey knitted sweater topped with a beige cottony jacket that reached up just above his knee. His black ball cap was put backwards and his dark brown scarf covered his mouth. Both his hands were placed comfortably on the pockets of his fitted and ripped jeans. He looked like he still hasn’t got any sleep yet.

 

Lee Jinki and Kim Jonghyun are now looking at the glass cake display cabinet while I stood motionless behind them.

 

“Wah!”

 

Onew suddenly clapped his hands and slightly jumped at the sight of a particular cake. His mood certainly lit up and all the sleepy aura was gone. I tried to compose myself by smoothening the pink apron that’s wrapped around my waist and tucked in the stray hair that was covering my eyes. I tried to walk gracefully until I reach the counter and I think I pretty much nailed it.

 

Deep breath.

 

“Would you like this cake sir?” I said with a wide smile. On my peripheral view, I can see Jonghyun looking at me.

 

“Yes! Give me two of those.” Onew said brightly, still not taking off his eyes on the blueberry cheesecake.

 

“Right away! How about you, Sir?” My voice was kind of shaky when I turned to Jonghyun. His eyebrows are meeting and his eyes were squinting, as if he’s trying to remember where he has met or seen me.

 

“Hmm.” He looked at the line of cakes in front of him and pointed at the chocolate truffle. “This one, please.”

 

He quickly shifted his gaze and looked at me in the eye as if he’s trying to read my mind. I can feel my legs becoming jelly, a cold shiver went up my spine and I felt a jolt in my chest; is this what they call the “electricity” that passes through the veins when you find “the one”?

 

They proceeded to sit on the corner of the shop, where there was a small table for two. Onew removed his mask and he was still smiling brightly to Jonghyun, his eyes has disappeared through his happiness. Jonghyun sat coolly with his legs folded, quite distracted and absentmindedly smiled back at Onew.

 

As I was trying to calmly prepare their cakes, I overheard their conversation.

 

“So, why did you drag me out here?” Onew jokingly asked Jonghyun.

 

“I can’t sleep again, hyung. I just wanted fresh air.” Jonghyun rested his chin on the ball of his hand.

 

“Aish, I told you to have a check-up with the doctor.”

 

I interrupted them as I placed their orders on the table. I thought I’d pass out after being 10 centimeters away from Onew and Jonghyun, but I didn’t. My guts made a standing ovation for this rare event when I successfully exuded my inner poise.

 

From behind the counter, I looked at them talking animatedly, all gloomy aura taken away by the chocolate truffle and blueberry cheesecake. The beautiful sight right in front of me is so precious I almost forgot my “gift-chain”. Of course I should take this chance! Imagine all the money I would save if I give him my second gift now; I don’t have to buy so many albums to attend the next fansign. I’m so smart.

 

 

 

 

Crap.

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t have the gift right now. I need to think of an alternative way; let’s see, all I have are cakes, tea and coins. Wow. Panic is getting ahead of me.

 

 

I have no choice then.