Day 1

A Ghost's Last Gift

Chapter 8: Day 1

 

[Jonghyun POV]

 

 

It was as if she banged her body against a wall of high voltage electricity. She was thrown off two times and we were in absolute shock. For about a couple of minutes, she just sat there in front of our door, bawling all her eyes out, and making weird sounds, like a dying whale stuck on shore.

 

She looked really pitiful; she was as lost as we were, like minutes ago she thought nothing was wrong but she now knows she’s… dead.

 

“Jeo-jeogiyo.. Uhm.” I glanced at the other four, who were as flabbergasted as I am, to ask for their opinions on what I’m about to do. Three of them nodded, pity overcoming the fear in their eyes. But Key was forcefully shaking his head and both his hands, left to right.

 

“Three versus one, you lose. I will talk to her.” I mouthed to Key while holding up three fingers on the right and my index finger on the left.

 

“Uh.. Eh.. Jeogiyo? Y-you might want to try and sit on the sofa if you’re not comfortable on the floor. I-it’s soft and good quality.”

 

“Waaaahhhhhhhh!” She just wailed even louder.

 

“Uhh. Uhm. If you want to, you can sit on our massage chair. Or can you sit on things?” She stopped and looked at me in big puppy eyes with tears falling down her pale cheeks. We backed off as she stood up and headed to the massage chair. Wow, it seems that she can touch things and not people.

 

 

 

*SHINee Huddle while sitting*

 

 

 

“Hyung, I think she just found out.” I told Onew, as he was his chin, pretending to look like a proper leader.

 

“I think so, too.”

 

“Is that all you’re gonna say, old man?! We have a ghost in our dorm!!!” Key’s high pitched whisper is hurting my eardrums.

 

“But she’s not scary, hyung. She looks really cute.” Taemin said while looking over his shoulder, smiling slyly and raising both his eyebrows at me, repeatedly. Oh, you little devil; he thinks I like the girl.

 

“Stop it, Taeminnie. We’re serious here.” Minho popped Taemin’s head back to our huddle.

 

“Okay,” Minho continued, “first, it’s true that she isn’t scary; she looks clueless of the situation. She’s not even destructive, just really loud. Second, it seems that she can’t go out of our dorm, so we really don’t have a choice.”

 

Key was rolling his eyes at Minho. “Duh? We still haven’t tried the window. Maybe she can go out using that.”

 

“But she’ll die if she falls!” She’s my loyal fan and I don’t want to lose her. But then, 2 seconds after, I realized that my mouth is not connected to my brain.

 

“Wow, your stupid is too big, it’s suffocating me.” Key is being especially HUH WHISPUH IS DUH LUSHIPUH if he’s scared. I ran my right palm gently down his face to “wipe out” his bad mood.

 

“Yah!” I ignored him and we resumed our serious huddle.

 

“And I sympathize with her; if I was to know that I’m dead, I’d be totally hysterical. Plus she can’t even go elsewhere.” Minho smartly added.

 

“The only thing that we can do now is let her stay.” I said this and shrugged.

 

 

“No.”

 

“Okay. We don’t have a choice.”

 

“Yeah, sure. Yeeeeey!”

 

“Let me think first.” All our heads turned to Onew. Well, this is new.

.

.

.

.

“Okay. Hihihihihi.”

 

 

“Ehhhhhh! But we have to try the window!” Key transformed into a whiny child, kicking both his feet at me. I grabbed them and showed him my bare teeth.

 

“Okay. Okay. I’ll lure her to the window later. But I have to confess something, first.”

 

“What?” they answered at the same time.

 

“I-i.. know her.” I put the ball of my hand to my forehead and closed my pained eyes to display my distress.

 

“WHAT????”

 

“Onew hyung, I guess you remember that girl in the cake shop?”

 

“AAHHH! That funny girl who gave you coins? I wonder what happened, she was really nice and cheerful.” Onew looked serious now.

 

“I know hyung.” Now I feel really, really down. “I hope she didn’t commit suicide because of me.”

 

Taemin snorted. “Wah. You are a guy to die for.” Four fists landed squarely on his head.              

 

“I should just go and ask her.” I sighed, got up and went closer to her. She still scares me, to be honest, but her crying face and lost eyes pinch a special spot in me.

 

 

 

[Chun Hei POV]

I don’t care how stupid I look right now. I’m dead. Who cares about their reputation when they’re dead? I just want to cry until I disappear.

 

 

Jonghyun came close, I can feel him hesitating but I appreciate his effort. My cries turned into silent hiccups when he decided to do a little squat in front on me, so that he is looking up and I’m looking down at him. His elbows were on his knees, his fingers intertwining with each other like he’s praying and he was biting the nails on both his thumbs. I swear he looked really hot with his perfect eyes looking up at me, with all the grief, pity and fear reflecting to me clearly. If I just had a camera installed in my eyes, I’d take a lot of snapshots and share it to the world.

 

 

“Can you tell me w-what happened to you?”

 

I used both my hands to wipe all my tears away. I battled the upcoming sobs down my throat and forced the little voice that’s trapped inside.

 

“I.. –hick- don’t even remember –hick- how I got here. All that’s left –hick- in my memories are –hick- the SHINee ones and some bits of my life. Everything –hick- else is a blur.” Jonghyun closed his eyes in some kind of ache which I didn’t comprehend. Is he blaming himself?

 

“I’m really sorry that this happened to you.”

 

“Why? You didn’t do anything to me.”

 

“Please don’t tell me you..” he shifted into a different tone, whispering, like a guilty suspect finally admitting to his sin, “..killed yourself because of me.”

 

Hahahahahahaha.

 

“What? No! I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t do that. My life is precious.”

 

I don’t know why I said that and I have no intention to offend him but he looked like he had a bolt in the blue. He nodded and looked away, as if embarrassed by his own statement.

“Wait, wait. Of course I like..” I stopped myself from blurting my mind out, I don’t want to screw up again “..you guys. But you give me happiness, so I won’t kill myself because of you.”

I forced a smile and I’m pretty sure that came out awkward. By looking at Jonghyun’s nodding, I’m hoping he was convinced with my reasoning.

 

“So you really don’t remember what happened to you? Anything that could tell you why and how you got here?”

 

I strongly shook my head, looked down and my tears started to fall again.

 

“Oh..oh.. p-please stop crying. The lights won’t stop flickering.” He genuinely smiled.

 

Five minutes later, after calming down, I found myself with the guys that gave me adrenaline rushes for the last five years; them accompanying me to the window. Key was closing his eyes, hiding behind Minho. Taemin was looking at me from head to toe, maybe wondering why I’m not translucent and Onew covered his ears, as if waiting for me to explode. Meanwhile, Jonghyun was puffing air repeatedly, like he was nervous or something.

 

 

I took a step back and got ready to jump. I mentally counted..

 

 

3..

 

 

 

2..

 

 

 

1..

 

 

My body came flying through the bodies of the five perfect guys whose shocked faces looked priceless.

 

 

Well, there goes my first day in SHINee’s dorm.