A Cup of Smiles and a Pinch of Tears

A Ghost's Last Gift

Chapter 12: A Cup of Smiles and a Pinch of Tears

 

 

[Minho POV]

 

Hmmm. What’s that smell?

 

 

 

My body instantly jerked up at the familiar aroma. I kicked off my blanket and it landed on the floor. Am I home? Is my umma here? I stood up and followed the lead of my nose, to where the awesome smell is, to probably paradise.

 

 

Dragging my feet, I came to the kitchen and..

 

“AAAHHHH!”

 

 

Her head was banged so hard on the hanging cabinet, probably surprised by the manly noise, and she put her hands on it, only to realize she wasn’t even hurt. My hazy mind has forgotten that we have a ghost boarder as of the moment.

 

 

“Aigoo!” Besides forgetting her existence, I also forgot that I wasn’t wearing a top. I swiftly covered my chest and my tummy with both arms. I somehow realized that they weren’t enough so I ran to the living room to retrieve a pillow and went back, bullet train speed, to face her again with renewed confidence now that my upper body is covered.

 

 

“Morning, Minho-ssi!” She beamed and bowed, hitting her head again on the edge of the table. If she was alive, I bet that’d leave a mark, it might even bleed. The scene looked like it came straight from a 50s silent movie, where body gags and injuries were the main points. It’s funny how striking her actions resemble Onew hyung’s. I placed my balled hand in front of mouth to somehow hide my little chuckle; I never thought ghosts can be this entertaining.

 

 

“Good morning…” I glanced at her for her to continue my hanging sentence with her name but she just kept on staring at me, an awkward smile plastered on her face and head cocked on the side. Aish, while smiling, shook my head in defeat.

 

 

“What’s your name again?” There, she understands me, right?

 

 

“Ah! Ah~ Chun Hei. My name is Chun Hei.”

 

 

“Omo, what is this?”

 

 

“I cooked breakfast for you, as a sign of my gratitude for accepting me here.”

 

 

My mouth opened in awe when I finally noticed the full table; hot pancakes with maple syrup, fried scrambled eggs, steamed rice with beans, meat and vegetable casserole and a variety of side dishes. Wow. I can feel my tastebuds jumping in joy. There is a need to gobble every single one that’s on the table but when I was about to devour them all, I remember the other four.

 

 

Argh!! Why are those idiots still not up? I thought to myself.

 

 

“I’ll be back, okay? Don’t move a muscle.” I scampered to their Onew’s room, opened the door loudly but none of them woke up. These people are frustrating. I went to the manager’s bed to wake up Key who’s obviously enjoying his dream because he’s smiling in his sleep.

 

 

“Kibum, wake up.” I gently shook his shoulders.

 

 

“Unnggg.” Was the only reply I got as he turned to the other side, I hope the monsters are already eating you in your dream.

 

 

“Kim Kibum, time to eat. Please. Onew hyung, wake up. Taeminnie! It’s breakfast time already.” For five whole minutes, I tried to wake them up as calmly as i can. They don't understand my desire to eat right now. Argh! All my effort for nothing. Okay, all in one shot.

 

“YAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WAKE UP, YOU BUMS!!!!!”

 

 

Kibum suddenly sat up with one eye opened and murmured in perfect English, “What? When? How?!!”

 

 

“What is it, hyung? You’re annoying. Unnnggg.” Taemin just shifted his position and his eyes still tightly shut. Onew, on the other hand, was covered from head to toe, not moving an inch. I pulled Kibum up and finally he was stretching his arms.

 

 

“Thank sandman, Minho. If I didn’t have a nice dream, I would’ve punched you in the face.” He said that while smiling sweetly at me; this jerk.

 

 

“Yah! You’re the one who should be thanking me. We have a full table today, and we have pancakes.”

 

 

“Omo! Did you say pancakes? Okay okay okay! I’m coming!” He fixed his fringe and stood up only to find his feet squishing Taemin’s right hand.

 

 

“AAAHHHHH!!! Hyung!!!! I’ll kill you!!!!” Kibum ran out the room, shouting ‘yah’ repeatedly and Taemin followed him; making rouge dog sounds. Oh, well, at least there’s progress, I deserve a pat on the shoulder. But what am I supposed to do with this sea slug on the floor? Hmm. I grabbed hyung’s ankles and started to huff and puff to be able to counter his full weight while dragging him out the room.

 

 

 

[Chun Hei POV]

What’s totally alien to me is the fact that I don’t feel physical pain anymore; I could slice my finger and not feel a thing. As I was busy wondering while fixing the table, I heard loud shouts coming from Onew’s room and right after, Key went dashing up to the living room with Taemin chasing behind him. Key’s short shouts became prolonged when he shifted his eyes on me.

 

 

“Yah! I still haven’t gotten used to you! Don’t just appear like that!” Kim Kibum shouted, his knees obviously trembling.

 

 

“Mianhae. I won’t do it again.” I hope it doesn’t show but I am most terrified by Key and Jonghyun. They’re the only members who seem to be most unwelcoming. I frowned at the

thought while Taemin pulled Key by the wrist, forcing him to go to the dining table. Key, on the other hand, looks like a puppy on leash, refusing to take a walk.

 

 

“I told you I don’t want to!” He yelled. Taemin was just smiling at me sheepishly.

 

 

When the maknae finally made his stubborn hyung sit down, “Okay. I’m just doing this for the love of pancakes.”

 

 

Minho then reappeared, pulling a large—matress? Bed covers? It looks like a cocoon, but the size of a human. And then a weird sound came from it.

 

 

“Uuunngg. Earthquake?” Minho rolled out the mattress and a sleepy butterfly came out; Onew had his arms outstretched, eyes half open. Is this just the normal morning in SHINee’s dorm? I’ve been holding in all my fangirl feels so well. I would’ve freaked out at every single word they say directly to me, but I remain calm. These people are too cute to handle, I

never imagined they were like this in real life.

 

 

“Minho-ssi, how about Jonghyun-ssi?” I asked politely.

 

 

“You can wake him up, I still have to deal with Onew hyung.” He smiled at me sweetly.

 

Oh no. Oh no.

 

After last night, it’d be too awkward, too scary, and too weird to talk to Jonghyun. Thinking of his cold words is enough to make my whole spine shiver. Despite all the protests in my brain, I wasn’t able to refuse.

 

 

 

 

Here goes nothing. Knock, knock.

 

 

“Jonghyun-ssi?” No reply.

 

 

Knock, knock. I grabbed the door knob and luckily, it wasn’t locked.

 

 

Sniff. Sniff. What? Is he crying?

 

 

I quietly tiptoed to his bed. Jonghyun was topless, and I used a whole minute to take that in. His back was arched into a perfect curve, fetal position. His individual vertebrae were protruding against his skin, it was too beautiful that I want to run my fingers onto them. I think he's hugging a pillow but i can't really tell since he's facing the other side. He was making little sobs so I peeked at his face’s side.

 

Jonghyun is perfectly asleep. But tears were falling down his cheeks.