Stipulations

Lunacy Fringe

Federal Agent Eliza Ackerman looked through the final paperwork to be looked over by the judge presiding in the Ahn Soonim case.  Without a shadow of doubt there was more than enough evidence to put Soonim away for her crimes without her victims standing before a jury to relieve her crimes through testifying against her.

 

“Here.”  Drake placed a cup of coffee down on the table in front of her.  Eliza stared up at her partner of fifteen years with a warm smile.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“How goes the real pain in the part of our jobs?” Drake teased, never having the patient to sit down for the paperwork that went into their cases, leaving Eliza to handle the backend of things.

 

“I’m confident that the judge and jury will look at the evidence presented and give her a fairly quick sentencing.  She’s not going to get out of this with a plea of insanity,” Eliza replied.  “I’m going to make certain of that.”

 

“I’m assuming the child will go into state custody when its born.  Or has the family spoken up to lay claim on the child?” Drake raised a brow seating himself across from Eliza.

 

“Ahn Soonim’s family or Yoo Youngjae’s family?”

 

“Either.”

 

“No,” Eliza shook her head.

 

“I wonder if either will step up for the challenge of raising that child.” Leaning back in his chair, Drake sipped from his own coffee cup, staring out the window of the hotel restaurant.

 

“What I’m about to say may sound bias and too personal for this case, but I hope to god that neither family steps up for this.  Ahn Soonim’s family has no right, and Yoo Youngjae’s family has suffered enough through this ordeal.  Even if the courts grant them custody, I hope they turn it down,” Eliza commented.

 

“Why am I not surprised you would say something like that?”

 

“That young man has been through more than anyone his age should.  I was lucky that Chase understood Daniel and I were not his biological parents and what happened to his real parents, nevertheless it would hurt less for all parties if that child grew up in a completely different environment.  The scars riddled upon Yoo Youngjae’s heart will not simply heal all at once.  It will take time, being reminded of what was done to him in the presence of raising a child you were an unwilling participant in the process of conception is not healthy.  That’s why many women get abortions or give the child away for adoption when they are ,” Eliza simply said flipping dating her report to include with the case.

 

“This is why I hate working cases that are crimes,” Drake sighed.  The ringing of his phone interrupted the conversation.  Answering it, he listened to what was said on the other end, his face hardening with annoyance.

 

“Drake?”

 

“Understood, I’m sending Eliza over.”  Ending the call, the agent looked across the table at his partner.  “Get over to the hospital, something is up with Ahn Soonim, the doctors are in seeing her right now.  If this is a ploy to go into a mental institution do what you feel is necessary.  I am going to go meet with Yoo Youngjae.”

 

“On it, I will give call you with information when it is available to me.”  Dashing from her chair, Eliza grabbed her coat and wallet.  Exiting the hotel to take the stairs down.  Mentally preparing herself for what she would face when arriving at the hospital.  Taking the time to properly park upon arrival at the hospital, Eliza didn’t bother locking the car, briskly making her way up to the floor Ahn Soonim was stationed.  

 

Wild cries filled the hallways causing Eliza to wonder if the woman inside the room was giving birth.  Flashing her badge at the hospital nurse who stood in front of the door of Ahn Soonim’s room with a concerned scrutinizing gaze Eliza waited for permission to enter the room.  The nurse looked at the badge, then the woman who wanted access to the room.  Inside the screams did not cease, raising in pitch every few seconds.

 

“Ma’am you cannot go in there now, the doctors are working,” the nurse shook her head.

 

“I want to know what is going on with that prisoner, explain to me because yesterday she was perfectly healthy.  I will not have her trying to get out of standing trial for her crimes,” Eliza voiced.  “Now step down and let me in the room.”

 

“The doctors told me not to let anyone in, that means even you agent,” the nurse replied.

 

“Then you better tell me what is going on,” Eliza snapped, irritated that Ahn Soonim might have injured herself in some way to weasel her way out of standing trial for her crimes.

 

“She complained of pains twenty minutes ago before the screaming began.  The doctors believe she is going into false labor due to the stress,” the nurse calmly reported.

 

“She wouldn’t be stressed if she didn’t put herself in this situation,” Eliza snorted.  “Has her family been contacted about her condition?”

 

“Yes, but nobody has arrived yet.”  The screaming in the room tapered off, replaced by broken sobbing.  Eliza shifted her attention to the door sliding open to admit one of the doctors to leave.  The front of his gown was covered in a sickly pink liquid, pulling off a pair surgical gloves he nodded his head to Eliza.

 

“What happened?” Eliza interrogated.

 

“We saved the baby, she went into false labor, but we were able to stop the contractions from occurring,” the doctor said.  “Her body is under a lot of stress right now.  It would be best if we took her down to the maternal ward so we can better monitor her.”

 

“Absolutely not,” Eliza said.  “Pregnant or not that woman is dangerous.  I will not have her giving the hospital the slip to commit another crime.  She stays here where we can monitor her until the paperwork is finished to admit her to a prison.”

 

“We were told she would be admitted to a facility that would oversee her pregnancy,” the doctor frowned at the American woman.  “We were not told that she would be sent otherwise.”

 

“For the record it has not been officially announced, but with all the evidence against her that implies she methodically planned out Yoo Youngjae’s abduction and disappearance,” Eliza responded.  “Can I see her now?”

 

“It’s not advised,” the doctor muttered.  “You are a danger to her pregnancy.”

 

“Don’t bull me doctor,” Eliza scoffed.  “I have two children of my own.  I’m not going to rough her up no matter how much that would be satisfying preying on a kid.  That prisoner is still in my custody.  The right to check in on her still is mine to make in this situation.”

 

Making eye contact with the doctor who begrudgingly stepped aside to allow her in the room, Eliza bowed respectfully to the man, entering the room.  A nurse hovered near Soonim, wiping her sweaty brow.  Soonim glared at the woman who dared to enter the room.  Ignoring the nasty stare of the pregnant woman, Eliza seated herself in the bedside chair.

 

“Did you come in hopes I lost my child?” Soonim accused.

 

“I came because it’s my job,” Eliza countered.  “I might not appear to be, but the life that grows inside you does concern me.”

 

“I need Youngjae right now, not your lecture,” Soonim snapped.  “Bring him to me.”

 

“Your demands will not be fulfilled,” Eliza said.  “Your bargaining chips hold no weight.”

 

“If you won’t do it, I can get Sunhee to bring him to me.  My Sunhee will do anything I ask.  She loves Himchan just as much, she’s just afraid to express her emotions fully.”

 

“Sunhee…your sister?” Making a mental note to get officers to trail the younger sister, Eliza studied the pathetic woman declining into a sea of madness.  Her wild eyes held no logical sanity which did not involved living in her delusion.

 

“That’s right, you cannot stop Sunhee from doing what I ask,” Soonim laughed.  “I’m sure she has been in contact with Youngjae all this time while you stay here with me you insufferable .”

 

“Insufferable ?” Eliza laughed.  “You think I’m insufferable now, just wait until you find out the good news.  You aren’t being turned over to a mental facility.  We’re handing your over to a judge to convict you for every last offense you have committed, and guess what Soonim, you will go away for life.  You will have your child taken away from you and placed in a normal stable home.  That child will never know who you are or what you have done.”

 

“My family will raise my child,” Soonim growled.

 

“Now you’re being a delusional ,” Eliza commented.  “Love does not conquer all in this case.  Your family will not be given any rights.  In fact I’m sure the prosecutor will paint your family as incompetent.  Your involvement with that child will be detrimental to it living a normal life.  No, Ahn Soonim, that child will go far from you.  It will never know its parentage.  That is certain.”

 

“You wouldn’t dare separate my child from me,” Soonim shouted.

 

“Oh, I dare,” Eliza stood up from the chair.  “Enjoy that child growing inside of you because you will never see it past birth.”

 

“You have no right,” Soonim shrieked.

 

“Good day Ahn Soonim, I’ll see you on the court date.”  Leaving the room, she ignored the stares at her back of the doctor and nurse.  She couldn’t care less what they thought of her.  She would save that young man from any more pain caused by a delusional woman who did not understand what real love was.  She only hoped closing this chapter of his life would be a smooth transition.  For many and assault survivors it never was.

 

—-

 

Shifting in his seat, Youngjae looked on listening to how excited the man who Daehyun explained was their manager, sounded telling him all the activities he would partake in if he decided that he was ready to be a part of B.A.P again.  A bubble of anxiety ate away at his nerves hoping he would not bring down the others - Daehyun especially who sat directly beside him with one hand resting on his leg as their manager went on about new singles, music videos, and appearances the group would have in the coming weeks signaling his comeback.  Chewing the inside of his jaw Youngjae glanced over at Daehyun who instinctively met his gaze with a warm smile on his face.  Daehyun’s hand gently patting his thigh to assure him.

 

“What do you think of that plan?” B.A.P’s manager asked looking at Youngjae.

 

“What?” Blinking, Youngjae focused back on the man.  “Yes, I think that’s fine.”

 

“Really?  You’re on board with it all?”

 

“Yes, it will be fine.  Everyone will be with me on this right?” Youngjae asked.

 

“Of course hyung,” Zelo smiled.  “We’re in this together like always.”

 

“Then I don’t see what the problem would be going through with everything,” Youngjae smiled at their manager who broke out in a huge grin.

 

“All right, then I will let everyone know.  I have a meeting with the company to discuss things then.  Yongguk I trust you will make sure he is familiar with where everything is while we’re there,” their manager replied.

 

“I’ll show him too,” Daehyun volunteered.  “He has another visit to the hospital later today.”

 

“The hospital visits are going to be tight to fit in with our schedule,” their manager frowned thinking if there was some way around them while keeping to the schedule set for their comeback with Youngjae.  “Shall we see what the doctors say, then you can go as needed?”

 

“I’m fine honestly,” Youngjae replied.  “Compared to living in America, I’m doing twice as well here than there.  I should only need to go twice a week.  When I was living in America, I went to the hospital or ER three or four times a week depending on how sick I became.”

 

“Since one of the variables causing your sickness is locked away, your symptoms are bound to improve more so,” Daehyun replied.  

 

Youngjae felt a bitter taste coat his tongue at the offhanded mention of Soonim.  Something inside him still had reserves in favor of the woman.  He wanted to know how she was doing while another part of him screamed to forget her.  He pondered if his suppressed subconscious had a part in that reasoning.  Before everyone told him that she manipulated him into staying with her, she could do no wrong in his eyes.  Every memory of her pointed to Soonim being a victim of circumstance before that corner of his mind rose in protest.

 

“Dae, that’s enough,” Himchan stated softly, pointing his chin in Youngjae’s direction, finding the younger male’s eyes drift into space.  “We should refrain from speaking ill of her.”

 

“It’s fine,” Youngjae repeated coming back to reality.  “I’m coming to terms with everything.  That’s why I want to participate in group activities.  

 

Inwardly Yongguk questioned Youngjae’s response worrying quite a lot over his younger charge’s overall mental and physical health.  For now Youngjae appeared held together by the life changes around him though what would occur when he finally recollected who he previously was?  The memories locked away inside his head could very well break the harmonic balance Youngjae currently experienced.

 

“We should get going,” their manager replied.  Patting Youngjae’s thigh, Daehyun motioned for his friend to follow the man heading out of the room.  The group didn’t make it far out of the complex when a black car pulled up to the company van, the federal agents who brought Youngjae back to Korea stepping out of the vehicle.

 

“How is everyone doing today?” Federal Agent Drake smiled turning his attention on Youngjae.  “You are looking better than when we brought you back.”

 

“Little at a time,” Youngjae responded.

 

“Was there something that you needed with Youngjae?” B.A.P’s manager inquired.

 

“It’s customary to check up on him.  And to update him on what is going on,” Drake said.  “My partner finished the paperwork for the case, the only thing that we have left is the trial.”

 

“Will he need to attend it?  We want to keep this as quiet as possible,” B.A.P’s manager said.  “We’re planning a comeback soon for Youngjae.  This type of scandal will not bode well for us.”

 

“Don’t worry, we have no plans to let him see this court case play out.  We have enough evidence against Ahn Soonim to put her away in prison for the rest of her life,” Drake assured as his phone rung.  Seeing it was Eliza, he held up his hand to halt any questions while he took the call.  “How are things?”

 

“That woman is delusional.  I know they are going to try for insanity if she acts out like she did, but I’m certain imprisonment will be ruled in our favor for this case,” Eliza said.

 

“What was wrong with her?”

 

“The stress of her mind is catching up with her.  She went into false labor.  Drake are you with the boy right now?” Eliza wondered.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Listen to me carefully Drake.  I can take the heat for this if anything backfires and our superiors question whose decision this was,” Eliza said.

 

“I don’t like when you say things like this.  They always come back to bite us in the ,” Drake groaned.

 

“Not always,” Eliza laughed.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Do not tell that boy she went into false labor.  We’re going to do everything to keep him from seeing her.  I need to put a trace on all of Ahn Sunhee’s movements.  We’re going to protect that kid like until she is locked away for good.  You’re going to tell him that she miscarried and lost the child.  He does not need this hanging over his head while recovering.  You know I would not tell you to do something like this without a reason,” Eliza instructed.

 

“You always have a good reason even if the superiors give you over it,” Drake sighed.

 

“Damn right I do.  The higher ups just want to save face.  They don’t see what we see on a daily basis,” Eliza said.  “So lie to that boy.  If there’s one thing we can do for him, we can help him close that chapter of his life to move forward, it’s going to be a rocky road as it is.  Let’s not make it worse by having an unwanted child hanging over his head.”


A/N : Whether or not it's the right course of action, Eliza has set into motion a multitude of things for Youngjae for the coming chapters.  Things are definitely about to pick up.  I can't wait to work on the next two chapters this coming week.  There is much to get done and much to set into place with Youngjae, Daehyun, Soonim, and even Sunhee.