Bound

Lunacy Fringe

Daehyun paced back and forth, his eyes going to the clock on the wall impatiently.  For a second he stopped hearing a plane fly into the terminal.  Their manager shook his head at the young man who turned to verify the information with him once more.  Seeing the older man shake his head once more, Daehyun reverted back to his pacing.

 

“Dae,” Yongguk finally said after a stretch of ten minutes watching the younger male complete his ritual of the day for the twelfth time that hour.  “Sit down you will agitate yourself more.”

 

Glancing over at Yongguk he wanted to ignore what his leader said, but knew he was right.  Despite having pushed forward without Youngjae, allowing the police to work in their stead to solve the case of their missing member, and pretending no of this happened Yongguk was correct in his statement.  His mounting impatience was getting him more worked up.  He jumped at every plane that came in, not that it was his fault.  Finally after the aching gap of being divided due to the insanity of one fan they would be together again.  That fact alone pushed Daehyun into being restless.

 

“Dae,” Yongguk repeated.

 

“I know, but it’s hard for me to just sit there right now,” Daehyun commented, his eyes drawn to another plane coming into the Seoul’s International terminal.

 

“We know how you feel,” Himchan voiced.

 

‘Do you really?’  Daehyun contemplated.  Did any of them know what it was like to lose their best friend when they had a chance to make a difference?  Did they understand the helplessness he felt every night going to bed wondering if Youngjae was still alive?  Replaying all their stupid little fights or whims carefree of worry that one day it would come crashing down in front of them.  How many times had he carelessly complained about Youngjae being too whiney or annoying?  He wanted to take everything back.  He wanted to stop himself from leaving Youngjae that night because of work.  They were bound by work to be compliant, but for once he wished he could have ignored it.  Gone with Youngjae or even forced Youngjae to come back to the dorms with him, anything that would have stopped this from happening.

 

“Flight 4539 has just arrived at Gate 34 please allow time for passengers to depart from the plane.” A voice over the intercom system sounded alerting the group of another incoming plane.

 

“That’s Youngjae’s plane,” their manager said checking the information he received from the federal agents flying in with Youngjae and Soonim.  Perking up at the news, Daehyun made his way to the waiting area anxiously scanning the people who eventually trickled out looking for his best friend.  His blood seemed to boil over when two men escorted Soonim from the arrival area, her bloodshot wild eyes shifting to him.  Halting her movement, she glared at him, tears welling up in her eyes.

 

“You made them come after us,” she accused.  “You separated us because you’re jealous.”

 

“Ahn Soonim, come along,” the federal agent commanded.

 

“Why couldn’t you leave us alone?  We were happy together.  He finally saw me again,” Soonim screamed angrily at him, people giving the woman a wide berth as they exited the area.  Daehyun stood his ground, chilled inside at the swell of her belly displayed underneath the sweater.  The thought that she had used his friend for her gain left a coat of disgust in his mouth.

 

“Ahn Soonim, come along,” the federal agent repeated pressing a hand against the small of her back to her to where a car would take her into custody until proper documentation could be filed to send her to the mental institution.  The woman resisted once again, defiant for the simple fact that Daehyun would feel guilty for what he had done to her and Youngjae.

 

“We’re going to have a baby and you ruined that,” Soonim screeched.

 

“What is she still doing here?” Federal Agent Drake snapped as he found Soonim was not already escorted to the waiting patrol car.  “Get her outside if you have to do it by force.”

 

“Soonim.”  Youngjae peered around Agent Drake to stare at the wild woman verbally assaulting a man.  Her expression softened whirling around to find him.

 

“Jae, please tell them this is all a mistake,” Soonim sobbed.  “Think of the baby.  Tell them we did nothing wrong, that we were destined to be together.”

 

“Get her out of here,” Agent Drake commanded as the two men pushed the woman along forcibly still screaming about being destined to be with Youngjae.  Resisting the urge to chase after the woman, Youngjae held his breath until he could no longer hear her screams for him.

 

“Jae.” Daehyun bit his lip, unnerved at how sickly and thin his friend looked.  The young man before him was ashen, light circles of exhaustion under his eyes.  Meeting Youngjae’s eyes the light of recognition did not go off.  His friend stared at him curiously, almost expecting Daehyun to introduce himself.

 

“You are?” Agent Drake inquired, opening a file under his arm.

 

“His friend and group mate Jung Daehyun,” Daehyun replied.  The man flipped through his file, scanning the information.  Finding whatever it was he was looking for, the agent’s eyes flickered up to Daehyun subsequently closing the case file with a short smile.  Extending his hand for a greeting Daehyun took the other man’s hand.

 

“Have you come to meet him?  Are his parents here as well?” Agent Drake inquired scanning the area.

 

“His family is arriving shortly.  Our company head wanted to make sure this didn’t leak out to the public or the media,” Daehyun responded.

 

“Excuse me,” Youngjae spook up, curious to know exactly what the two men were speaking about.  The words group mate, media, and the public did not register as familiar to Youngjae, yet the male who came to greet him and the federal agent appeared to be up to date on what was going on.  Struggling to grasp for memories connected to the male who introduced himself as Jung Daehyun, Youngjae’s memory fogged.  Just how much did he not remember that was due to Soonim’s manipulation?

 

“Yes?” Agent Drake tilted his head to the side to see the bemused stare the young man was giving him.  Realizing he had no idea what was going on at the moment, the agent stepped to the side with a formal smile motioning to Daehyun.  “You will eventually remember things the more time you spend around people who know you.  This is one of your group mates.”

 

“The others are waiting to see you,” Daehyun added in.

 

“Others?” Youngjae’s stomach churn with anxiety realizing he was about to be thrown into a world full of strangers he could not remember.

 

“Yongguk, Himchan, Jongup, and Zelo,” Daehyun nodded.  “Don’t you remember us?”

 

“Ahn Soonim manipulated him into thinking they were married.  We don’t know exactly what she did, he’s scheduled for an examination upon leaving the airport,” Agent Drake said.  “Let’s go greet the others.  I’m sure they will want to hear what I have to say.”

 

Daehyun agreed, moving in step with Youngjae who tried to gauge him.  Making eye contact with Youngjae once until the younger averted his gaze to the ground, Daehyun thought of what to say that would place his friend at ease.  He wanted his old Jae back.  He wanted them to be able to put this behind them and move forward.  The person beside him relieved and concerned Daehyun all at once.  “How was your flight?”

 

“It was fine, thank you,” Youngjae nodded, nervousness settling into his voice.

 

“Good.” Nodding his head, Daehyun fell silent not sure what he should say.  This scenario never played in his mind being reunited with his friend.  He wanted to go after the woman who caused this.  Make her fix his best friend, but there was no point in something futile.  The last thing he wanted was to subject Youngjae to anything else.  Silence fell between the two men, making their way to where Yonnguk, their manager, and the others awaited.

 

“Hyung,” Zelo smiled making his way to Youngjae.

 

“Hold off Zelo,” Daehyun ordered.

 

“What’s wrong?” Yongguk frowned.

 

“He doesn’t remember us,” Daehyun shook his head.  “That woman did something to his head.”

 

“Jae?” Himchan’s eyes went to Youngjae who appeared more than nervous to be around them.  A cold sweat caused his face to sheen with wetness.  His pallid complexion was unhealthy.  Youngjae looked as if he would be sick at any given moment with the wrong move.  It was not a face he remembered.  In those few months since his disappearance, the younger had seemed to age by double.

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t remember you,” Youngjae bit his lip, wanting to take his medication to calm his nerves.  Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a small bottle finding all their eyes on him.  Hesitating, he glanced at them, then the bottle.  “I’m sick a lot.”

 

“Did that woman give those to you?” Daehyun interrogated.

 

“The doctors, so I don’t have any relapse of cancer,” Youngjae said quietly.

 

“You never had cancer,” Daehyun said.  “You were perfectly healthy.  Everything that woman said was a lie.  Hand over the bottle Jae.  You don’t need to take them anymore.”

 

“I need them,” Youngjae said fearfully not knowing if he should yield or fight his case.  This man knew nothing about the pain or sickness he constantly lived through.  Soonim lied to him about their background, but lying to him about a serious illness he did not have could not be part of that lie no matter what the federal agent said.  In his heart, Youngjae earnestly knew she loved him.  She took care of him during his worse bouts of sickness with nothing but patience in her attention.  If she was as crazy as they said, why hadn’t she just rid herself of him once he became too much of a burden on her?

 

“You don’t need them?” Daehyun argued reaching for the bottle until Himchan stopped him.  “Hyung?”

 

“No,” Himchan shook his head noting the terror and helplessness in Youngjae’s eyes.  “We will let a doctor assess if he needs them or not.  We have no idea what the side effects of not being on that medication will do to him.”

 

“Thank you,” Youngjae expressed to Himchan, popping open the bottle to shake three tablets into his hand.  Resealing the bottle, he popped the pills in his mouth.

 

“No problem,” Himchan nodded.  He wanted to ignore the nagging sensation arising in the pit of his stomach yet it tugged at him regardless of any mental assurances things were going to be fine.  He could only hope this feeling was wrong.

 


A/N: Just don't know what to say here.  This chapter fought against time it feels like.  But at the end of the day, Youngjae is back with BAP and has an up hill battle to readjust himself to things.  Not to mention remember Daehyun and the others as well as dealing with what Soonim did.  I look foward to seeing how this all plays out for me.