Unwell

Lunacy Fringe

Daehyun stood back watching Youngjae timidly peer around B.A.P’s dorm, examining the space which he learned they all shared.  Eventually the FBI agents and doctors allowed Youngjae to leave in company of the group with instructions to bring him back for not just physical therapy, but rehabilitation the following week.  The FBI agents parted ways with the group in the parking lot stating that they would remain close by however out of sight to allow Youngjae to readjust to life in Korea.  Thanking the agents for their service, their manager gathered together up all Youngjae’s belongings putting them in the van.  Luckily the few fans that spotted them at the hospital were kept at bay by security, only shouting in excitement noticing that Youngjae was with them.

 

Daehyun kept his friend close by, noticing subconsciously the manner in which the younger stiffened hearing the shouts and screams from the fans.  Waving at the girls, he had instructed Youngjae to do the same as cover to what was really going on.  He had a feeling that if he were to go on the fan café right now, there would be word of Youngjae’s sighting leading netizens to speculate over what it meant.  Hopefully the lies about his illness would hold up.  He heard from a few of the coordinator noonas many of the girls asked them if Youngjae’s absence from the group was due to a sasaeng fan harassing him.

 

Apparently the outburst he had with Soonim’s younger sister spread like wildfire before the company could silence the whispers.  There was a small probation period for the incident, but TS swept it under the rug with no further mention leading Daehyun to wonder if the company did something to appease those few curious girls coming up with theories.  At the moment all his conspiracies did not matter.  The real focus was making certain Youngjae felt welcomed with them again.

 

The ride back to the dorms was stifled with anxiety and nervousness.  For as much as he talked, Youngjae could have been a fixture to the seat as Zelo and Jongup tried to nudge him into conversations.  His hesitant replies to things they asked him about slowly deterred the maknae line.  More than once Zelo apologized for absent minded remarks towards Soonim.  Even with no memory, Youngjae was considerate, doing his best to show Zelo that things were fine.

 

“So, we really all stay here together?” Youngjae’s question broke Daehyun out of his thoughts.  Focusing on the younger staring at him, Daehyun nodded.

 

“For a while we were all sharing a room, but now that B.A.P is becoming more popular, we were able to get a bigger dorm so we could each have our own room,” Daehyun said.

 

“I see,” Youngjae nodded.

 

“Come on, I’ll show you where your room is,” Daehyun smiled, walking up to take Youngjae by the elbow.  Guiding Youngjae through the apartment he pushed open a door showing Youngjae inside.  “Here we go.”

 

“It seems kind of small,” Youngjae blinked looking inside the room.  Making his way over to the small desk in one corner of the room, he stared at the computer sitting on top of the surface.  Facing adjacent to the desk near the window was a small dresser.  For some reason the room made him feel claustrophobic.  The walls seemed to close in on him, panic racing up his spine causing the room to tilt.  Grabbing hold of the edge, he waited for the feeling to settle.  Closing his eyes he faced away from Daehyun so the other would not see what was happening.

 

“It’s not much, but it suffices for our needs,” Daehyun shrugged.  “I’ll help you bring your things in to put them away.”

 

“Thanks, I’ll come out in a second to help I want to familiarize myself with the room.” Surprised his voice stayed steady, Youngjae’s grip began slipping as a light coat of sweat glazed his skin.

 

“All right.” Pausing momentarily to study Youngjae’s back, Daehyun pushed the nagging feeling something was wrong to the back of his mind.  Surely Youngjae would say something if anything was wrong.  “Be right back then.”

 

Happy when Daehyun exited the room, Youngjae headed for the bed on shaky legs to sit down.  Rummaging inside his pockets for his medication bottle, he swore realizing that the medication case was in his bags.  Slipping to the floor shivering in a cold sweat, Youngjae gagged as a wave of sickness struck him suddenly.  When was the last time he took his medication?  At the airport a few hours ago wasn’t it?  At the hospital, the lab techs took all of his bottles for inspection to note what he was currently taking.

 

Doubling over as pain wracked through him, Youngjae curled up on the floor hoping the pain would go away.  Shaking uncontrollably, he moaned softly in disorientation.  Slipping into darkness, he slowly came around to hearing his name called.  Opening his eyes, he looked up to find Daehyun, Himchan, and Zelo standing over him in panic.  He had no idea what he was mouthing when his lips began to move, however they seemed to understand him as Zelo ran out the room.  Jumbled words filled his ears - Daehyun’s voice instructing him to do something.  His eyes fluttered shut again when pain lanced through his head, his heart beat flooding his hearing.

 

‘What are you doing pabo?’

 

‘What do you mean what I am doing?  What are you doing?’ Youngjae laughed at his friend who peered over his shoulder to look at the new gadget he acquired at his favorite shop.  Tilting his head up, he found Daehyun scrunch his nose up with a shake of his head.  His mouth again twisted into a teasing smile.

 

‘I can’t believe you brought that thing pabo.’ Daehyun flopped down into a chair next to Youngjae. ‘What’s your fascination with it anyway?  I don’t understand.’

 

‘It’s not for you to understand,’ Youngjae smirked.  ‘We know you’re not that smart as it is.’

 

‘Yah, is that anyway to talk to me?’ Daehyun reached over swatting at his friend with a giant grin.  Youngjae batted his hand away, sticking his tongue out at the older.

 

“Youngjae, look at me,” Daehyun command pulling the shivering male into his arms.  Zelo handed Daehyun the medicine case from Youngjae’s travel bag.  Youngjae moaned, his eyes fluttering open as he gazed in confusion at Daehyun.  His eyes found a bottle of water in Daehyun’s hands along with the medicine case.

 

“The small maroon pills…” Youngjae instructed.  “Four of them please.”

 

Hastily rummaging through the bag, Daehyun found the aforementioned bottle containing the maroon tablets.  Popping off the top, he shook four into his hand, pushing them into Youngjae’s mouth.  Crushing one with his teeth, Youngjae weakly reached for the water bottle.  Helping Youngjae steady the bottle to his lips, Daehyun found specks of color returning to his friend’s face ingesting the tablets.

 

“Hyung…” Zelo rubbed his arms, terrified that Youngjae was not going to make it.

 

“I think he’s fine now,” Daehyun spoke.  “Jae…”

 

“I’m fine, it’s just the cancer.  I sometimes have bouts if I don’t take my medication on schedule,” Youngjae said, slowly managing to sit up as the medicine took effect.  The nausea subsided, grounding him in place.  Lifting his eyes up when he realized that Himchan and Zelo were giving him worried stares, Youngjae fidgeted uncomfortably.  He wasn’t use to people responding like that.  Whenever he grew sick, Soonim seemed to know what to do, calmly caring for him until he was better.  Their reactions to what he was use to troubled Youngjae.  “I’m really fine.”

 

“That’s not fine,” Daehyun shook his head.  “You scared the hell out of us.  Why didn’t you tell me that you weren’t feeling well?”

 

“Sometimes it passes if I just rest,” Youngjae mumbled.  “It is not a big deal.”

 

“Do you want to room with me for a while just to make sure that we don’t have another incident like this?” Daehyun inquired staring at Youngjae.  Pushing aside the discomfort, Youngjae shook his head, standing to his feet.  “Are you sure?”

 

“I will be fine.  That hasn’t happened in a while.  It’s probably due to everything happening.  You don’t have to worry.  As long as I take my medication we have nothing to worry about,” Youngjae assured with a weary smile.

 

“I’m positive you don’t need those,” Daehyun sighed.  “They make you worse than you are.”

 

“Dae,” Himchan spoke up not wanting the younger to begin an argument with Youngjae who believed wholeheartedly the medication was doing him good.  It was not their place to assess Youngjae’s health.  In the months of his disappearance they had no clue to the things that had happened to revert him to this sickly state.  If they did anything drastic, it could be detrimental to Youngjae’s well being - certainly the last thing they wanted in this situation.

 

“It’s fine, I can understand this is a big change from who I use to be for all of you,” Youngjae voiced. “I want to remember who I was as well.  So I will do my best, so don’t baby me.”

 

—-

 

Sunhee didn’t know what to expect riding up the elevator to the tenth floor of the hospital ward were they kept mental patients while documentation went into committing them.  She would have never expect her sister to be a patient in such a ward.  Perhaps work part time to help out with troubled patients who needed a friendly shoulder, but never to wind up a resident.  Her stomach turned with misery wondering just how to greet her sister.

 

Soonim was the glue holding their family together.  After their mother passed away when Sunhee was only five, it was twelve year old Soonim who became the mother figure for both her and their brother Tae Kyung.  Never once had she complained about her siblings being a burden on her lifestyle.  Every day she smiled and went through life with an open heart.  It was no surprise to Sunhee when Soonim announced she would go into healthcare.  It was a field which accented Soonim’s personality.

 

Sunhee now could not fathom the darker persona residing in her gentle, kind sister.  The one that led her into a spiraling obsession with Yoo Youngjae of B.A.P.  There were many days before her sister snapped completely where they listened to the group’s songs together.  Read messages in the fan cafe, or attended fan club events.  Her actions never gave away any notion of darker intents.  

 

“Keep your chin up Sunhee, noona would not wish to see you so downtrodden,” Tae Kyung stated reaching over to place a comforting hand on his younger sister’s shoulder.  “You have to put on a smile for her when we enter the room.”

 

“Will she recognize us though?” Sunhee feared.  She was terrified her sister was so far gone that she would not know her own family.  Isn’t that what happened to people who lost their sense of reason?  It helped to think that her sister was not in her right mind when she kidnapped Youngjae, laying out a complex plan to sneak him out of the country to live.  No sane person would do something so sinister.

 

“I’m sure she will,” Tae Kyung nodded, unsure himself of what to expect.  Just yesterday they were told Soonim was finally caught in America and would be shipped back to Korea immediately.  No word, in regards, to her state of mind was revealed.  All Sunhee knew for sure was that she was guarded by International federal agents who did not let her out of their sight.

 

“We’re here,” their father announced quietly, detached.  His face was a shadow of his former self.  Aging nearly twice his age over the months of this scandal.  Sunhee didn’t blame him.  Their family was ridiculed by their neighbors leading the family to move from their previous complex.  Both she and Tae Kyung were on temporary leave from school.

 

As the elevator doors opened, realization of her sister’s actions hit Sunhee in the face.  Guards were stationed outside the elevator at attention of movement.  Eyes studied the trio who quietly walked to the door where two men in suits sat scribbling down notes in a folder.

 

“Are you Ahn Soonim’s family?” One of the men stopped his notes, lifting his eyes to the family.  “I need to see ID before I can allow you to see her.”

 

“We were given badges on the first floor,” Sunhee’s father stated pulling off the badge pinned to his shirt.

 

“I still need some idea before I can allow any of you to speak with her.  Protocol cannot be broken,” the man shook his head.

 

“I see.”  Producing ID, Sunhee’s father motioned for her and Tae Kyung to follow instructions.  Once satisfied with their identifications, the man stood up, opening the door to the room with a key.  “Is it necessary to keep her locked up like that?”

 

“She’s a highly dangerous criminal.  We do not want to take any chances of her escaping,” the man said.

 

“Dangerous criminal?” Sunhee repeated.

 

“Indeed,” the man nodded motioning for the family to enter the room.  Blinking back tears, Sunhee went into the room with her father and brother, discovering Soonim standing by the bedroom window staring outside.  Sighing with relief, a smile came to Sunhee’s face.  They were wrong about Soonim.  She was normal, she must have been a victim as well to this entire situation.  This quiet air surrounding her sister was what she remembered the most about Soonim before everything begun.

 

“Unni,” Sunhee chimed.

 

“Soonim…” their father made his way over to the woman.  Hearing her name called, Soonim turned to them, gently rubbing her swollen belly.  Her eyes lit up with excitement finding her family there.  She missed the shock in their eyes seeing her pregnant stomach.

 

“Papa, Sunhee, Tae Kyung, you’ve come to visit us,” Soonim smiled.  “It feels like forever since we last saw each other.  How are you doing?  Tae Kyung, you are almost ready to graduate soon, isn’t that right?”

 

“Soonim…you’re pregnant,” their father breathed, tears stinging his eyes.

 

“Of course.  After Jae and I got married, it was only correct that we would want children immediately.  I’m so sorry you missed the wedding.  I will have the officers bring my photo album to show you the wedding pictures.  It was beautiful,” Soonim sighed wandering over to sit in a chair.

 

“Jae…you mean that young man…” her father could not finish the sentence, the lump in the back of his throat choking him.

 

“Of course it’s Jae’s child.  We love each other so much.  Those officers don’t understand that.  They have been saying such horrible things.  They call me crazy,” Soonim murmured turning her eyes on Sunhee. “You don’t think unni is crazy do you?  You understand how much I love Youngjae.  We were destined to be together.  You love Himchan just as much don’t you?”

 

“I could never…kidnap him,” Sunhee shook her head. “I like oppa, but I would never cause him distress taking him away from his family and friends.”

 

“Your love is simply not as strong as mine then,” Soonim said simply.  “I would gladly do anything to have Youngjae next to me.  He means everything to me.  I do not regret what I have done.  We were meant to be after all.  We made this beautiful life that grows inside of me.  We are perfect for each other.”

 

“Noona snap out of this,” Tae Kyung shouted.  “You’re not crazy.  You were never crazy.  This is just all a misunderstanding.  All the things they said, I just can’t believe it still.  You are not the type of person who would do those things.”

 

“Of course I’m not crazy,” Soonim giggled. “They wouldn’t let me keep the baby if I was.  I would have to give up my little bundle.  I can’t allow that.  This is the legacy that Youngjae and I have created together.  I really do hope it’s a little boy.  He will look so much like his father.”

 

“Unni.” Turning from the woman crooning softly at her belly, Sunhee ran out of the room.  Making it to the elevator, she jabbed the button desperately.  The elevator doors opened, Sunhee stepping inside.  She ignored the calls of her father and brother as the doors closed.  The young woman sobbing against the wall; was that really what her sister had deteriorated into?  Sunhee did not want to believe it.  This entire thing had to be a dream she would wake up from.  A long dream that would end soon.  She did not want to acknowledge this was the true face of Soonim.  Not after all these years of the woman taking care of her.  She would not accept this as reality.  Buried in the darkness, there had to be an answer for this type of behavior from her kindly sibling.  She had to find out what it was.


A/N: There's not much I have to say this chapter.  Youngjae's trying to find himself while dealing with the after effects of Soonim while Soonim is just bat crazy and delusional.  Sunhee will play a small substantial role in coming chapters.  I'm extremely excited about that.  Now to begin work on the next few chapters.