Doubts In Mind

Lunacy Fringe

His entire world seemed to crash in around him gazing at the young woman standing by the entrance of the building giving him a concern stare.  Her hands were clenched in front of her.  Waves of nervousness emitted from her body the way she shifted uncomfortably.  Watching her bite her lip, she opened to begin again after introducing herself as that woman’s sister.  The same woman who torn his life asunder with no regard for his feelings claiming she loved him above all else.  Images continued to flash through his mind of the last half a year with her in America.

 

“Are you okay, Youngjae-ssi?” Sunhee’s heart went out to the teary eyed male that appeared to be a shadow of his former self.  Was it due to living with Soonim, all that time away from his family and friends?  Could she hope he was sick with grief for what was happening to Soonim?  Or could it be his separation from his unborn child?  Millions of questioned filled her, wanting to do her best to get all the answers she could from him.  “Can I ask you a few questions?”

 

“I have to go,” Youngjae whispered, stepping back from the girl who pleaded with her eyes.

 

“Please, I promise I only need five minutes to ask you this,” Sunhee voiced.  “There’s so many things I need to know about you and unni.”

 

“I have nothing to say,” Youngjae shook his head, moving to pass the girl however she grabbed hold of his arm, pulling him to a stop.  Gazing down into her determined, pleading expression, Youngjae froze up at her touch.  His skin crawled at those warm slender fingers wrapped around his wrist.  A wave of nausea upset him; throwing off his equilibrium as he swayed slightly.

 

“Please Youngjae-ssi,” Sunhee cried.  “I don’t understand unni anymore.  My family is falling apart because we don’t understand unni.  She isn’t really crazy?  You love her and the baby don’t you?  Was she gentle and caring to you?  Did you ever feel endangered around her?”

 

“Let me go please,” Youngjae entreated, the wave of nausea growing the longer she touched him.  The world tilted, swayed, the threat of breakfast expelling his mouth growing increasingly urgent by every second.  in a short breath, Youngjae tried his best to slip his arm free from her grip.  The action seemed to only cause the girl to hang on tighter.

 

“I’m not asking for too much,” Sunhee said.  “Just tell me what it was like being with unni.  You love her and the baby don’t you?  It’s likely that my family won’t be able to keep the baby.  Are you going to raise the baby?  I know Soonim would want that.  I could come visit it if you don’t mind.”

 

“Youngjae.” Tilting his head to the side hearing his name called, Youngjae found Himchan making his way to where he and Soonim’s sister was.  Stopping short of the two, Himchan studied the girl he instantly recognized as the same girl who came to the dorms months before apologizing for her sister’s actions.

 

“Himchan-oppa.” Sunhee released Youngjae’s arm, staring at the man who had once been her entire world when it came to idols.

 

“You’re that woman’s sister, correct?” Himchan walked up to stand with Youngjae, putting an arm around the quaking form almost instantly relaxing from the contact.  Putting space between her and Youngjae, Himchan gave her a reprimanding frown.  Sunhee recoiled apologetically in the face of the look, dropping her eyes down to the ground.

 

“I am,” Sunhee mumbled.

 

“Please do not bother him anymore,” Himchan requested softly.  “Do not come here or to our dorms.  He has been through enough already.  If you really are a fan, be considerate of the position you are putting Youngjae and the rest of us in.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Sunhee sniffled.  “I had so many questions that I just want Youngjae-ssi to answer.  I may never get to see the baby that will be born let alone hold it and tell it that its family loves it regardless of the situation it was placed in.”

 

“That baby is dead,” Himchan announced.  “One of the federal agents came earlier to let us know that Ahn Soonim miscarried.  So be more considerate please and allow him to close this chapter of his life peacefully.  Do not come see him again.”

 

“What?” Sunhee’s blood ran cold hearing Himchan’s words.  Her sister’s baby was dead because Soonim had miscarried?  Why was her family not notified of this news?  Her sister must be severely distraught at the moment being unable to properly grieve her lost.  “It can’t be true.  She seemed fine last I saw her.”

 

“I do not know, I do not wish to know, but we were informed of this by the agents who brought her back to Korea to stand trial.  If you love your sister, then go be with her,” Himchan advised leading Youngjae away from Sunhee.  Raising his hand to a passing taxi, he looked over his shoulder.  “For everyone’s sake don’t come near him again.”

 

“I’m sorry oppa, I just wanted to know,” Sunhee cried softly.  “I never meant Youngjae-ssi any harm.  I only want to understand everything.”

 

“He can not help you find closure with your sister and what she has done.  So let this be the last time we see you around,” Himchan chided.  Walking with Youngjae to the taxi, Himchan felt sorry for the young woman only seeking answers for her own closure.  It was unfortunate, but what she sought from Youngjae was impossible to have.  He could not help her close the door to the past he barely had the strength to face the door which changed his life indefinitely.

 

“Be well Youngjae,” Sunhee called after the two who entered the taxi.  She needed to go to the hospital to console her sister.  Whether or not Youngjae forgave Soonim for her crimes, Sunhee looked to be the source of strength for her family in this crisis.  In the future gaining Youngjae’s forgiveness might be possible.  For now, she would do as Himchan wished and respect Youngjae’s space.  It was apparently by his reaction he did not love her sister in the same esteem.

 

“Are you okay?” Himchan sympathetically looked down at the male who had his head pressed into his thighs taking deep panicky breaths.  Rubbing the tense back, Himchan instructed the taxi driver to take them back to the dorms.  It was far to soon for the company to push Youngjae into a comeback.  It was evident the more exposure to his previous life he received memories of his ordeal would trigger.

 

“I’m going to be sick,” Youngjae mumbled.

 

“Hang on, we’re headed back to the dorms,” Himchan instructed.  Worried his charge would not make the trip back, Himchan rolled down the window allowing fresh air to fill the backseat whilst rubbing soothing circles on the shivering back.

 

Youngjae was almost glad Himchan was there.  He would never have been able to diffuse things with Sunhee, nor made it back to the dorms without someone seeing him and causing a scene.  Another part of Youngjae was ashamed Himchan had to witness the fragile shell encased around him.  He did not want to be babied by the other members, or worse pitied.  He fought to close that door now, displaying the little control he held isolated Youngjae from the other members.

 

“We’re home,” Himchan announced a few minutes later.  Relief poured through Youngjae, rushing from the taxi while Himchan paid the fare.  Huddling in front of a bush, Youngjae emptied his stomach breakfast.  The waves of nausea finally subsiding enough that the cold chills running through his body did not force him to clench his teeth to keep them from chattering noisily.  “Youngjae.”

 

“I just want to go inside, my throat hurts,” Youngjae stated changing the subject.

 

“All right.”  Leading the younger into the building, Himchan worried that Youngjae was about to have another episode.  Guiding Youngjae into his room, helping him lay on the bed, Himchan watched the younger reach for the medicine bottles placed within reaching distance.

 

“Can you get me some water hyung?” Youngjae requested.

 

“Of course.”  Leaving the room, Himchan knew this was one of the things they were going to have to tackle.  Reading up on the drug names of the bottles Youngjae medicated himself with, alarm bells went off in Himchan’s head discovering the side effects and dangers in the medicines.  So far he kept it from Yongguk and their manager wishing to have a moment to speak with Youngjae over things.  Only if he could not convince Youngjae of the need to wean off the medicine if not by doctors’ recommendations would intervention of the other members be necessary.  Entering the room with a cup of water, Himchan seated himself on the edge of the bed.  “Her you go.”

 

“Thank you hyung.”  Sipping the water away the residue of crushed tablets in his mouth, Youngjae waited for the chills to fully vanish.

 

“Youngjae, how much do you remember of what happened?” Himchan took the chance to question the younger on the subject alive in the back of his mind.  Was it only the kidnapping he remembered, or had everything rushed back?  “You began remembering things at TS, correct?”

 

“I can remember that night in my head clearly.  Daehyun had to return and I went to the electronic shop to check out the new stock.  When I was leaving she approached me.  She said she lost an extra cell phone battery under her car.  She asked if I could help her find it.  I didn’t think anything about it.  She was crying and looked panicked.  When we were near her car, she said my name.  I wasn’t fast enough, she put a clothe to my face.  It smelt horrible I could feel myself choking on the fumes.  I should have fought back, I shouldn’t have made it so easy for her,” Youngjae sobbed.

 

“You had no way of knowing,” Himchan assured Youngjae’s hair.

 

“When I woke up in her place…hyung it was horrible.  She kept me tied up.  She would hit me and then try to be sweet to me.  I tried to escape when she set me free from the chair,” Youngjae babbled.  “Then the cabin house.  I had to watch her kill her grandmother and I couldn’t save her cousin either.”

 

“It’s not your fault,” Himchan mumbled seeing the guilt and shame darken Youngjae’s eyes.

 

“I wish I died after that.  I wish you and the others don’t have to look at me like this,” Youngjae stated.

 

“Youngjae.”

 

“I wish I could take everything back.  I wish I never went back to the dorms instead of being stupid and going out.  I wouldn’t have to think it would have been better to never be found.  I hate myself so much.”  Himchan had nothing to say in response to the younger’s statements.  It broke his heart that Youngjae would consider dying rather than being found.  That leaving behind the ones who truly loved him played in his head.

 

“We’re glad you were found,” Himchan smiled.  “A part of us would not be able to take losing you.  Daehyun especially.  During everything, he was the one who was most adamant that we should not move forward without you, that we should reinforce our search for you.  When we learned you were finally coming home he vowed that he would not let you out of his sight again.  If he knew you thought like this, he would not be able to take it.”

 

“You don’t understand unless you have been in my ordeal why I say that,” Youngjae argued.  “It’s not something you can shake off.”

 

“I don’t understand that is true,” Himchan nodded.

 

“It’s not something you can understand unless it happens to you.”  Feeling another wave of panic hit him as the sounds of Soonim pleasuring herself with him.  Pressing his hands over his ears to stop the sounds, Youngjae blindly reached for his medication until Himchan wrapped a hand around his wrist.  “Please hyung, I need them.”

 

“They are doing you more damage than good,” Himchan voiced pulling Youngjae into his embrace.  Resting Youngjae’s head against his shoulder, he allowed Youngjae to release everything without saying a word.  Whatever truly haunted Youngjae in his mind was not about to be healed with medication.  Support from those closest to him to close that door for good was the only way he could look forward.  It was going to be a bumpy road, but they were going to carry along it together.  Not just Youngjae alone.

 

Grateful and embarrassed at Himchan’s presence there, Youngjae forced away the sounds making his skin crawl with revulsion.  He never wanted to live through that again.  He never wanted another woman to touch him in that manner ever again.  He doubted after everything Soonim did to him, everything he remembered now in vivid detail, a normal relationship was possible.  He did could not tell Himchan the extent of dark emotions lining his heart.  The older would fret more than now.

 

“I’m tired hyung,” Youngjae whispered when the tears finally receded.

 

“Get some rest, I will let the others know you are fine when they come in.”  Himchan laid Youngjae down to rest, tucking him in bed without mentioning any more of what occurred.  “We’ll talk to the company about postponing your comeback.”

 

“Is that really the answer?  I don’t want to hold back everyone,” Youngjae worried.

 

“Get some rest, we can talk about this when everyone comes back.”  Patting Youngjae’s arm, Himchan stood up picking up the medicine bottles.  “I’m going to hold on to these for you.  We’ll go see the doctor and have them reevaluate these.”

 

“I need them,” Youngjae protested.

 

“Do you really?  Or did Ahn Soonim make you believe you need them?” Himchan posed.  Youngjae paused, staring at Himchan.  Forcing a smile on his face, Himchan headed for the door.  “I’ll be with you when they reevaluate these.  If you need them in a few hours before we go, then I can help you.  Get some rest now.”

 

“All right.” Youngjae closed his eyes praying he would not relieve moments with Soonim.

 

---

 

Staring at the woman sitting by the window rubbing her swollen belly, Sunhee tilted her head in confusion.  Stepping into the room, closing the door the young woman walked over to sitting by her sister who turned to her with a look for fear for the first time since meeting again since her crime.

 

“You have to help me get out of here Sunhee,” Soonim whispered.

 

“Unni, you still have the baby,” Sunhee gasped.

 

“Yes, did you hear I almost lost this little one?  He’s a trooper.  I know it’s a he, I just know it.  He’s just like his father,” Soonim smiled.

 

“I heard you lost the baby…Himchan-oppa said that one of the agents told him that you had lost the baby,” Sunhee explained.

 

“It was that ,” Soonim growled, her face darkening with the look of murder.  “She wants me to suffer, that’s why she is doing all this.  That doesn’t know what it’s like to love anyone.  She’s jealous of what I have with Youngjae.”

 

“Unni.”

 

“I’m not going to have a trial Sunhee,” Soonim sobbed.  “I won’t be able to see Youngjae and tell him how much I love him.  Others won’t know I did everything for his sake.  I have to leave here to see him.  I have to let him know that we’re having a little boy who will be just like him.”

 

“I’m sorry unni, I can’t help you,” Sunhee shook her head.

 

“Don’t you love me?  If it was Himchan, I would do the same for you,” Soonim snarled, turning her rage on the helpless girl in the room.  “Why did you even come?  You saw Youngjae didn’t you?  You little , you were after him all this time too.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.  I went to see Youngjae to ask him about you and the baby.  That’s when Himchan-oppa told me,” Sunhee whimpered under the fury seething off her sister.

 

“Go back to him and tell him we’re having a little boy.  If you love me whatsoever, you will do this for me,” Soonim demanded.

 

“I can’t go back.  Not after everything,” Sunhee murmured.  The last thing she expected was the slap across the face from her sister.  Blinking back the pain flooded with shock, Sunhee raised her eyes to the maelstrom of blind rage emitted by her sister.

 

“You are sleeping with him now aren’t you?  You dare come to me as if you are concerned when you’re sleeping with him behind my back.  I bet it was really you who said I was crazy.  The one closest to me would be the treacherous .  I can’t trust any of you.  You all want to see me suffer.  Get out,” Soonim snarled.

 

“Unni,” Sunhee wept.

 

“Get out of here you traitorous ,” Soonim screeched.  “Get your out of here and never come back to see me again or I will do to you like I did the old woman and Mi-Yun.”

 

“What the hell is all this commotion?” Eliza stepped into the room, gun drawn pointed at Soonim.  Her eyes flickered to Sunhee who sat in shock of the transformation her sister took on.  “Ahn Sunhee, come to me.”

 

“Get out,” Soonim bellowed.  “Both of you get out of my room.”

 

“Ahn Sunhee, step away from her and come to me,” Eliza commanded, her gun trained on Soonim for any sudden hostile movements at the younger woman.  Breaking her trance, Sunhee scrambled out of the room.  Soonim overturned the chair in the room, ripping at the curtains and sheets on the bed.  “Nurse, she needs to be sedated.”

 

“Is that…is that really unni?” Sunhee slid down the wall quaking in disbelief.  “She was never like this.”

 

“Are you okay?” Eliza re-holstered her gun, kneeling down in front of the girl sympathetically while nurses rushed into the room to sedate Soonim.  “She didn’t hurt you did she?”

 

“No.  Did you tell Youngjae that she lost the baby?” Accusation for her sister’s mental decline lined Sunhee’s voice.

 

“I told my partner to tell him that,” Eliza shrugged unfazed by the girl’s emotion.

 

“Why would you do something like that?” Sunhee exclaimed.

 

“Do you think you would be able to heal if someone took advantage of you against your will?  Can you honestly say that if you suffered enough emotional, psychological, and physical abuse, you would be okay with a child that you had no intentions of conceiving?  I have seen plenty of victims.  Some are strong enough to carry on.  Others I have seen commit suicide because they were too ashamed to be with another person, to love the life growing inside their bodies.  Just because he’s a man does not mean he doesn’t suffer the same guilt and shame of female victims.  Before you accuse me of wrong, consider what you just witnessed.  Are you cruel enough to have him remember a woman so delusional in her love that she inflicted psychological wounds we pray he can overcome,” Eliza lectured standing up from stooping.

 

“She just wants to be happy,” Sunhee yelled.

 

“She can find happiness when we send her to prison in a few days,” Eliza snorted.

 

“She won’t have a trial?”

 

“Nobody feels they need to waste money when it’s obvious what she has done, and what she will again do if let free.  All we have to wait for is her paperwork to finish processing, then she will never see Youngjae ever again unless it’s on TV,” Eliza smirked.  “And before you say it, yes I do take pleasure in knowing that I have put scum like her away for a long time.”

 

“What of the baby?”

 

“Sent away.  Youngjae’s family does not know it exists.”

 

“You told his family as well?” Sunhee gaped.

 

“Of course.  That family needs to heal.  I stand by what I did wholeheartedly,” Eliza nodded.

 

“I’m going to sue you for this.  You drove my sister insane,” Sunhee threatened.

 

“Good luck with that.  They are going to see you in the same vein as your sister.  Do you think anyone will take you seriously?” Eliza raised a brow.  “I’m sorry you have to witness your sister like this, but I’m not the reason behind her mental decline.  It was bound to happen once she was brought back.  The world she constructed for herself is no longer holding up.  It was only a matter of time before she became hostile and paranoid of everyone around her.”

 

“I’m still going to sue you.  For defamation of character and custody of my nephew or niece,” Sunhee stated.

 

“Go right ahead.  I am not going to stop you.  But if you try to tell that young man that child lives, I will have you arrested and charged for obstruction faster than you can blink.”  Eliza stared Sunhee down, making sure she knew her threat was real.  Eliza planned to close this chapter without a hitch or hiccup.

---

Daehyun stuck his head into Youngjae’s bedroom, listening to the soft even breathing of his friend.  Pain wracked his heart wondering what he could do to ease the pain locked away in his mind.  Having arrived back to the dorms when he could not find Youngjae in his extensive search of the building, Daehyun discovered the younger sister of the woman who held him hostage approached Youngjae. 

 

After demanding her to leave Youngjae alone, the two returned to the dorms where Himchan learned that all of Youngjae’s memories had returned to him.  Advising Daehyun to tread carefully when Youngjae woke up, Himchan momentarily stepped out to discuss postponing Youngjae’s comeback a little while longer until he could sort through this newly destroyed emotional wall.

 

“I wasn’t there for you,” Daehyun sighed.  “I promised myself I would be there for you no matter what, but I let you deal with that alone, with that girl as well.  I’m going to make it up to you.  I won’t let you deal with anything else alone again.”

 

Shutting the door, Daehyun padded back into the kitchen, going into the kitchen to get a bottle of water.  Youngjae’s prescription bottles catch his eye by the fridge sitting on the counter.  Picking up one of the bottles, he tried reading the label.  Shaking his head at the gibberish on them, he threw the bottle into the trashcan.  Chucking the other bottles, Daehyun took out the trash bag heading outside to dispose of the offending trash at one of the local centers.  He wasn’t going to let Soonim win any longer.  Youngjae didn’t belong to her, he wasn’t going to keep up the pretense any further. 


A/N : Looks like Sundays are going to be my official day to update for a while.  So, Soonim is bat psycho crazy bonkers nuts.  Sunhee doesn't know what to do.  Eliza's still being awesome, and I have some HimJae going on underneath the DaeJae.  And on top of this, Daehyun's started enough catalyst.  I have my worked cut out for me next chapter.