Abyss

Lunacy Fringe

-The hours before-

 

Slamming the bedroom door, Youngjae did his best to control his anger.  His entire frame shook uncontrollably with rage.  How could Daehyun – the one person he trusted more than anyone else - betray him in such a manner?

 

It was for Jae’s own good Daehyun took actions into his own hands?  Youngjae couldn’t accept that.  Banging his hands against the walls repeatedly until they throbbed, Youngjae released a loud scream, storming over to the small nightstand resting near the bed.  Ripping out the first drawer, he threw it against the wall in a fit of rage.  The items contained in the drawer flew everywhere upon impact with the wall.  Not satisfied with just that, he proceeded to rip out the second and third drawer sending the drawer contents scattering across the floor.

 

Overturning the nightstand, Youngjae continued in a blind rage destroying everything he could in the room.  When there was nothing left, the young man staggered to a corner of room, the first wave of sickness pass his lips as bile expelled from his lips.  Squeezing his eyes shut, he continued until he could only dry heave.  Resting his head against the wall, he whimpered feeling the pain come back to him in full force.  He needed his medication more than anything right now.

 

Sobbing at the pain slowly wracking his body, Youngjae staggered away from the wall to curl up in the center of the disaster of his room.  Cold chills swept over his body causing his teeth to clatter together so violently he feared he would bite his tongue if he tried calling out.  Digging his nails into his palms to distract himself from the pain, he could hear whispers of his past rising up against his will.

 

“You feel so good Jae…right there,” Soonim purred into his ear, her body pressed against the wall of the hotel shower.  She arched her back, dragging her nails down his back.  Reaching for another small tablet, she smiled at him.  “It’s time for another dose of medicine love.  Open wide.”

 

“Please stop,” Youngjae whimpered pressing his hands over his ears.  “Please I don’t want to.  I don’t want to, stop it.”

 

“I love how you make me feel.  Oh god Jae, I’m almost there.”

 

“Why won’t you leave me alone?” Banging his head against the wood repeatedly to dispel the images in his mind.  Hearing her in his ear, the phantom feel of her body writhing against his, Youngjae rammed his head harder into the floor, desperate to stop the moans in his mind.  He ignored the splintering pain just to get rid of the disturbance.  The last thing he could remember as the pain swept him into blackness was the sound of silence eventually overcoming him.  Gratefully embracing the peace, he could care less to anything else.

 

-Fast forward time-

 

“What’s wrong with you five?”  Their manager walked into the dorm, frowning at the grim atmosphere heavy in the air.  Scanning the looks on the members’ face, the man inclined his head curiously when eyes averted from him.  Lack of Youngjae amongst them made him wonder if something happened.  “Where’s Youngjae?  How did the visit to the hospital go Himchan?”

 

“About that,” Himchan sighed thinking of how to explain to their manager the events leading to the five of them sitting together in silent contemplation.

 

“What about it?” Looking over the group, his eyes widened noticing Daehyun’s bruised mouth.  “What happened here?  Why is your mouth like that?”

 

“I fell and bit it,” Daehyun muttered lowering his eyes.

 

“You fell?  What were you doing?” their manager interrogated.

 

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it,” Daehyun waved off.

 

“There’s something up,” the man said.  “Why are all of you in here and Youngjae isn’t?  What’s really going on?  Did you two get into a fight?”

 

“It’s nothing, I fell,” Daehyun repeated.

 

“This is ridiculous, you two got into a fight of some kind.  That’s why you’re all sitting here like this.  This isn’t good for the comeback.  You two need to talk this out immediately,” their manager huffed going out the room to Youngjae’s door knocking on it.  “Youngjae, I want you to come out and talk to Dae about whatever you two fought over.”

 

“Hyung, let him be for the time being,” Himchan voiced wandering out the room after their manager.

 

“No I want to know what the two of them were fighting about?” their manager demanded.  “Right before we set to work on Youngjae’s comeback.”

 

“A lot happened while you were gone,” Himchan stated.

 

“Like what?  I also want to know how the hospital visit went.  He did go didn’t he?”

 

“We went, but we had to leave.  If you come back into the common room, Yongguk and I can explain the situation to you before you speak to Jae on this.  He needs time to sort through things.”

 

“Sort through what?  What do you mean that you went but left?  I’m not understanding what all this is about but we’re all discussing this together like a team,” their manager announced knocking on Youngjae’s door again.  “Youngjae I’m opening the door, we all need to talk this out.”

 

“Let him be for now,” Himchan requested.

 

“This is for the good of everyone.  We’re not tiptoeing around this situation because of a petty fight,” their manager shook his head pulling out the master key to the door.  Inserting it into the keyhole, the man ignored his young charges appeals to leave Youngjae alone.  Disengaging the lock, the man pushed open the door finding it in a massive state of chaos.  “What the hell…”

 

“Jae...” Himchan pushed past the stunned man observing the damage of the room to rush over to the body in the center of the mess.  Kneeling down at Youngjae’s side, Himchan carefully placed a hand to the trembling body uncovering the blood matting his bangs to his forehead.  Youngjae’s eyes moved rapidly behind his lids as bits of spittle oozed from the corner of his mouth alarming Himchan that something more than just the head wound was going on.

 

“Himchan.”

 

“Yongguk, call for an ambulance,” Himchan shouted urgently.  Hearing the leader run to the room, Himchan looked around the room for the blanket to wrap around Youngjae’s body.  A moment later Yongguk and Daehyun appeared in the doorway taken aback by the destruction of the room.  “Yongguk call the ambulance, there’s something wrong.  Daehyun get me blankets to cover him in.”

 

“What’s wrong with him?” Daehyun asked.

 

“Get me blankets to cover him Daehyun,” Himchan demanded again more forcibly. 

 

Yongguk flipped out his phone calling one one nine to report the incident.  Daehyun ran out of the room to gather up blankets while Himchan instructed a terrified Jongup and Zelo to get out the way.  Daehyun entered the room, giving Himchan the requested blankets.  Paling at the sight of his sick friend, Daehyun looked around the room completely helpless forgetting all about the fight as reality set in that this was caused due to his actions.

 

“I’m sorry Jae...” Daehyun mumbled.  Everything happened in a blur of events from the ambulance arriving at the dorm to the group being ushered into the van making their way to the hospital where the Youngjae was admitted.  Sitting out in hallway with the other members of B.A.P, Daehyun shamefully was unable to look up when Youngjae’s family arrived.  Guilt weighed him down, knowing that if it were not for his actions, this would not have happened.  How could he explain to Youngjae’s family he only meant to help his friend get better?

 

“Dae.”  Himchan placed a hand the brood male’s shoulder, Daehyun not bothering to look up at all.  “Come on, we’re heading back.  There’s nothing we can do right now.  They will let us know when he wakes up.”

 

“This…” Daehyun started.

 

“It’s not your fault,” Himchan said seeming to know what was about to come.  “You had no way of knowing what would happen.  You had his best intentions in mind.”


“I just didn’t want him to let her win,” Daehyun cried.

 

“Come on,” Himchan murmured.  Wrapping an arm around the younger male’s shoulder, he led the sobbing man to where the other members waited for them.  Zelo and Jongup said nothing, glancing down at the ground and Yongguk led the group down the hallway.  An oppressive silence only stirred by Daehyun’s anguished cries fell over the members worried about the sixth member of their group.  What were they to expect when he came to?

 

---

 

Soonim looked up at the two federal agents who came into the room.  Her eyes narrowed in hostility, a slow sneer curling her lips up.  Neither one of the agents paid the look any mind.

 

“It’s time,” Eliza said pulling out a pair of handcuffs from her side holster.  “We’ve come to take you to your new home.”

 

“I am not to be moved for days,” Soonim stated rising from her chair.  “Why am I leaving the hospital so soon?  What’s going on?”

 

“Your paperwork was moved faster than anticipated,” Eliza smirked.  “Looks like the judge took one look at your case file and motioned for a quick verdict without assembling a jury.”

 

“I demand an appeal,” Soonim barked.  “You sabotaged the paperwork so that I would be locked away.  I will not be treated like this.  I am not a criminal.”

 

“Is that what you think?” Eliza said.  “I beg to differ Soonim.”

 

“I will not be treated like a criminal.  I am a victim in this,” the woman spat.  “You Americans push your power around and think you can do what you want.  This is Korea, I demand my case to be looked at by a full Korean police force.”

 

“Funny you say that,” Eliza said.  “The officer who first took your case here in Korea was present for the verdict.  He hoped you would have a swift case as well with a good long sentence.  He thanked us for bringing you in.”

 

“I’m not going,” Soonim growled.

 

“You have no choice in this matter Ahn Soonim,” Eliza replied walking up to the woman backing into a corner like a feral animal.  Nodding her head to her partner, the two looped around subduing Soonim before she could lash out.  The pregnant woman screamed and spat at them as they led her out of the room once her hands were cuffed behind her back.

 

“I want a trial.  I’m a victim in all this.  I want a prosecutor,” Soonim screamed.  “I refuse to allow this injustice to occur.  I’m a victim.”  Dragging her feet, Soonim struggled against the two who hauled her down the hall.  Nurses gave them a wide berth, murmuring amongst themselves at the scene.

 

“Drake, what’s the first thing you’re going to do when you get back home?” Eliza threw a look over to her partner who considered the question as they ignored their prisoner’s rants.  “Care to throw back a few beers at the usual place?”

 

“My fiancée will kill me if I don’t see her first,” Drake laughed.  “She teases me about spending all my time with you that she feels like a mistress.”

 

“Tell Nerissa she has nothing to worry about, I would kill you myself if we were married,” Eliza shook her head.  “When are you two tying that knot anyway?”

 

“January,” Drake smiled.

 

“I can’t wait.”

 

“There’s something wrong,” Soonim screamed doubling over.  “I need a doctor.”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with you,” Eliza snorted.  “Come on.”

 

“There’s something wrong.  My baby.  Someone help me my baby,” Soonim sobbed.  “I think I’m having a miscarriage, someone please help me.”

 

“Stop making a scene,” Eliza ordered.

 

“I won’t let you kill my baby.”  Shoving away from the two federal agents, Soonim took off down the hall.  Curse as she caught her footing, Eliza ran after the pregnant woman who shoved a nurse out of the way taking to the stairs.  Pulling her gun, Eliza screamed for the woman to halt.  Disappearing down a flight of stairs as fast as her belly would let her, Soonim cradled her stomach while fleeing.  Eliza yelled at Drake to take the elevator down while she pursued Soonim on the stairs.

 

“Ahn Soonim don’t make me shoot you,” Eliza demanded taking the stairs down.  Rounding a corner, she threw her back to a wall, aiming the gun for the woman rushing down a flight in front of her.  “Halt or I will shoot you.”

 

“I won’t let you do this,” Soonim cursed.

 

Lowering her gun, she continued down the stairs for another flight before aiming her gun again with a clear shot.  Flipping her safety off, she took aim for the woman’s shoulder screaming for her to stop once again.  When Soonim failed to follow her order, Eliza squeezed off two rounds.  The echo of the rounds fired momentarily deafened the federal agent who saw the pregnant woman fly forward from the impact of the bullet hitting its target.  Gravity took effect as Soonim hit the stairs tumbling down to smack into the wall.  Recovering from the recoil of the shots, Eliza jogged down the stairs as blood seeped from underneath the woman.

 

“Drake get a doctor up here, I’m on the stairs between the eighth and ninth floor,” Eliza said into the small microphone earpiece.

 

“What happened?” Drake said.

 

“I shot her and she took a hard fall down the stairs,” Eliza said, checking on the woman who sobbed in pain.  Blood stained the front of the dress she was wearing.  “I think she’s really having a miscarriage.”

 

“I’m coming up now,” Drake said.

 

“Save my baby you ,” Soonim moaned.

 

“This is all your fault,” Eliza announced.  Restraining the woman from moving any further, Eliza applied pressure to the gunshot wounds that tore through Soonim’s right shoulder and arm only moving when help arrived rushing the woman off into surgery.  Her agonized screams echoed off the walls forcing the doctors to redirect her route to the delivery room.  Ordering her to push as the first signs of the baby emerged.

 

“Save my baby,” Soonim sobbed pushing at the pressure accumulating in her belly.  Hearing one of the doctors order for her not to push, she was confused at to why.  Alarmed when they began pushing her baby back in, the crazed woman fought them, sure they wanted to murder her child.  Continuing to push, she kicked a nurse away with a needle. 

 

“Ma’am you have to stop pushing,” another nurse said frantically.

 

“I won’t let you kill my baby,” Soonim snarled.

 

“Ma’am please,” the nurse pleaded as the umbilical cord wrapped further around the neck of the little body being expelled from the woman.  “Get me another needle, we need to sedate her.”

 

“I won’t be sedate,” Soonim fought and struggled.  Giving a few final pushes, the pressure in her lower half finally eased as she delivered her baby.  “I want to see my baby.  Is it a boy or a girl?”

 

“Nurse bring me the scissors,” a doctor shouted doing his best to free the baby from its birthing noose.

 

“What are you doing to my baby?” Soonim screeched sitting up through the pain to snatch up her child.  Cradling the still form in her arms, she screamed hysterically ripping at the umbilical cord suffocating her child.  Fighting away the doctors and nurses who tried to help, she threw herself off the bed.  Ignoring her own pain, she grabbed a pair of scissors from a confused nurse running into the room.  Plunging them into the woman’s neck, Soonim shoved the choking nurse out of the way, rushing from the delivery room armed with her bloody weapon.  Her mind focused on one thing.

 

It did not take Soonim long to find Eliza and Drake just outside of the waiting area.  Both federal agents pulled their guns seeing the bloody woman burst through the swinging doors armed with bloody scissors cradling the strangled corpse of her child in arm.

 

“Put down the scissors Ahn Soonim,” Drake demanded.

 

“My baby is dead because of you,” Soonim accused.  “You murdered my baby.”

 

“This is your own fault,” Eliza said.  “Put down the scissors and go back into the delivery room.  If you continue this way, things are not going to end well.”

 

“Everything was perfect,” Soonim whispered.  “He loved me.  We were going to have the perfect family.  It was all going to work out, now it’s ruined.  All because of you, you .  He thinks I’m crazy.  They all think I’m crazy.  They don’t understand how much I love him.”

 

“Put down the scissors Ahn Soonim and surrender,” Eliza repeated.

 

“You’re going to pay for what you’ve done to me,” Soonim threatened, racing at Eliza with the scissors raised.  Her wild eyes focused on the woman who calmly fired a shot into her chest. 

 

Jerking back, Soonim staggered backwards.  Regaining her footing, she lunged at the agent again who fired off another around into her chest.  Collapsing to her knees, the bloody scissors slipped from her hand, clattering to the ground.  Falling forward, she kissed the tiny form nestled against her bosom on the head before expelling a final breath.  Tears streaked down her cheeks envisioning her perfect family as a cold darkness swept over her.


A/N: I'm going to be the first to admit that I did not expect this turn of events for this chapter.  Soonim quite surprised me by all accounts.  Psycho nuts until the very end.  With that end wrapped up, sole focus now rest of Youngjae and the situation he's now placed in.  I'm taking great delibration on what is going to happen from here on to the end.  Let me know what you think.