The Culprit

The Weight Of Our Memories

 

 

 

1 year earlier 


 

San Francisco U.S.A

 

 


-"Jessica....Jessica" A voice called.

-"Sica...Sica are you daydreaming again?" Kim Taeyeon called out to Jessica but she didn't hear her...she was totally out, once she got like this she wouldn't hear anyone or anything.

-"Yah!" Screamed the short, brown haired girl.

Kim Taeyeon was Jessica's best friend and they were almost like "sisters" okay not like sisters more like "brother and sister"...
Yes because Kim Taeyeon had different preferences than what society felt was right, but that never bothered Jessica and she would even call Taeyeon "Oppa" even though she was actually a girl.
And for someone who liked girls, Kim Taeyeon wasn't even that manly. She had this destiny expecting kind of romance idea that Jessica thought was really cute.

-"Oh Taeyeon...were you calling me? I'm sorry I was...distracted" Said Jessica in a low tone.

-"Really? I didn't notice" Said Taeyeon in rather a sarcastic tone.

Then Jessica's heart started racing as the light's went out?

-"Guess who it is?" A man said.

-"Lee Donghae" She answered with a smile on her face.

 

Donghae was and still is in Jessica's heart the love of her life and her husband...Yes Jessica Jung was now married for a year, she couldn't believe it herself but she was so happy with Donghae.

-"Jessie..." Said Donghae in a sweet tone.

Then Taeyeon interrupted the lovey dovey moment.

-"Jessica, it's Saint-Patrick's day and Donghae and I are gonna hit the bars tonight with our last year green colored matching suits" Taeyeon then chuckled lightly at the thought of she and her best friend wearing matching outfits.

Since Jessica started her relationship with Donghae way back in high school Taeyeon was very supportive of her relationship and she was also Donghae's best friend.

-"Don't you wanna come with us honey?" Donghae asked.

But he already knew what the answer was going to be...an all out clear "No", but he tried anyways, always hoping.

-"No, I don't like Saint-Patry's... but you go baby, don't worry and have fun with Taeyeon" Jessica said as she gave him a light smile.

Donghae kissed Jessica's lips.  He waved his hand as a small goodbye on his way out.

-"Bye Sica we'll be back early, I promise" said Taeyeon as she waved her goodbyes at Jessica.

Jessica rushed to the window and opened it fast. 

-"Please drive safely, they said a storm was coming this way...be careful ok?!" She screamed from the window.

-"Yes" They both answered in chorus.

Jessica took a long relaxing bath, put some water on the kettle, made some tea and went to the window of her and Donghae's apartment. It was nice and spacious and it had this big view of the city and the Golden Gate bridge. Jessica started to think of the time she got married it was so beautiful, they didn't have a big ceremony it was small, only her parents, her sister Krystal and his parents and his brother Euhnyuk. Her family didn't have the best of financial state comparing to that of Donghae but even being people of a different social class they still accepted Jessica and her family. His parents bought them this house after it their marriage as their gift and life was just fine since those times.
They weren't the perfect couple and for a year of marriage they had, had their share of fights but they loved each other too much to stop their relationship. A flash and a loud sound removed Jessica from her trip down memory lane. It started to rain heavily...Jessica felt her heart tightening as she thought of Donghae and Taeyeon.
She finished her tea and went to bed. She closed her eyes...still with worry in her heart.

It was 5:00AM and Jessica's phone started ringing.

-"Donghae...Donghae...answer it baby please answer it" She moaned in a low sleepy voice.She was sleep talking she didn't hear the phone.

The phone stopped ringing.

She rised her head and was startled not seeing Donghae in bed, she grabbed her phone and dialed Taeyeon's number. It was out of service then she dialed Donghae's but the result was the same.
Her phone started ringing again. She quickly answered it.

-"Hello...?" She said in a nervous voice.

-"Is this Jessica Jung?" The lady on the other side asked.

-"Yes"

Jessica can't remember the rest of the conversation but the next thing she remembers is being on Donghae's bedside...It hurt her to see him as he was, connected to all these machines just to be barely alive.
Taeyeon entered the room.

-"Sica...Sica I'm so sorry" Taeyeon was crying and sobbing, she went to hug Jessica but the latter just pushed her away...Taeyeon understood and left the room.

Jessica was crying by Donghae's side when his father came in, Jessica quickly got herself up and gave a hug to Mr.Lee and the latter returned her hug.

-"Aigooo...my son..." Donghae's father said at the poor state of his son...he could barely keep his tears in.

-"Jessica...go out a little bit and also....please talk to Taeyeon she look so stressed, I'll be here by his side...go...please go"

Jessica nodded slightly at him and left the room. She stopped by a vending machine and bought a water bottle...she started slowly walking up the stairs to the rooftop. She sit on the railing of the hospital rooftop...she looked to the view of the city and started crying. Taeyeon appeared beside her.

-"Sica...Sica he was my best friend...we...we..." Jessica looked at Taeyeon still with tears in her eyes.

-"Taeyeon, leave me alone..." Jessica said in a cold tone.

Taeyeon looked with a surprised but saddened look at Jessica she was surprised with her coldness.

-"Sica it was all my fault...I'm sorry...blame it on me...don't blame him, blame me...." Said Taeyeon as she left the rooftop.

That was the last time Jessica ever saw Taeyeon again.

When Jessica got back to Donghae's room it was...already too late...Donghae had parted and left her alone in this world...she felt so alone it felt like the world would come crashing down.
She ran and grabbed Donghae's hand.

-"Donghae...Donghae please come back baby, please don't go..." She was expressionless as she slowly realized that Donghae had now left her side.

-"Come back! Come back!" She started crying and screaming, Donghae's father grabed her, his own eyes tearing up.

-"Jessica...don't...just don't, he's gone" He released her and fell to the ground crying.


It was a cold day...everyone dressed in black.
Jessica was looking at Donghae's photo expressionless as she still couldn't believe that the love of her life was now gone, just like that. Like throwing away a piece of paper.
She didn't think it was fair because it wasn't, because it was always the good people that suffered.

She left, not uttering a single word to anyone.

She locked herself at home for 3 whole months. She would spend her days watching their marriage video and seeing the photos they took even listening to the songs they listened.
She opened Donghae's drawers and smelled his shirts...she did all things someone does when they grieve but something wasn't quite right with Jessica's grief. She spent a lot of time locked in her bedroom although she now lived alone, she talked a lot...alone.
After 3 months she sold their house and went to her mother's house.

-"Jessie!!!" Screamed Krystal when she saw her big sister coming in, she ran and opened her arms but...Jessica just passed right beside her and went into her room locking the door as she entered.

-"Mom why is she like that?!" Krystal asked.

-"Just leave her she isn't great these days" Her mother said.

-"I know mom but he's gone and she has to at least accept that fact"

Jessica listened to the words of her sister from the other side of her bedroom door. She lied down in the bed looking at the ceiling, she started to remember what the doctor told her.

-"Miss Jessica...your husband was severely inhebriated at the time of the accident I can only conclude that his inhebriation is what in part caused the accident"

-"No...no i can't believe that...Donghae never drinked" She muttered.

-"I'm sorry" Said the doctor leaving the office.


Someone knocked at the bedroom door removing her from her memory.

-"Jessica...Jessica are you okay?" It was Ms.Jung checking if her daughter was alright.

-"Okay...here's some food if you want to eat at all" She said as she put down the tray and sighed.

Jessica didn't say anything. She started thinking of Taeyeon, she wished it was her and not Donghae. Even though she knew it was wrong, that thought made her feel better.

-"Jessica...Hey, Jessica"

Here he comes again...Donghae, Jessica knew it was all her imagination but ever since he died she started conjuring him up. 
She knew it wouldn't make her feel any better, only worse actually but she did it anyway. And now here he was...Lee Donghae, wearing his favourite t-shirt with a pair of khaki shorts and talking to her like nothing was wrong.

-"Donghae go away you don't exist" She said as she glared the vision.

-"You know, you know that" He said as he smiled.

-"Why did you drink Donghae...why? And Taeyeon said it was her fault..."

Jessica thought of the conversation she had with Taeyeon at the time of the accident.
Taeyeon with scars all over her face and an arm over her chest leaving the rooftop, that was the last she saw of Kim Taeyeon...she felt horrible for talking so harshly to the other girl now.
Deep Jessica knew she would never see Taeyeon ever again but a small part of her still wished...

-"Jessica...Jessica? Why are you losing yourself in thoughts again? I'm right here can't you see me??"

Jessica and Donghae talked for hours, remembering their marriage, remembering their first date, and how they met...
In the end Jessica just cried more and blamed herself for not being able to put Donghae's soul to rest.

Jessica kept living with her family, they realized she was getting more and more cold by the day...sometimes she wouldn't even talk.
On the other hand Jessica couldn't bear to see her mother and sister crying and begging for her to stop being like that so she left her home after new year's eve. 

Her destination being Seoul where she hoped she could forget all about Donghae,Taeyeon and all her problems.