III.

The Lost Figures of Hatred.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Waking up was one thing. I had never slept this good in days. I finally dreamed like usual. Having friends, a loving family, and just me being happy in myself. Not that I'm not satisfied, it's just hard to be happy when everyone has me in a cage of misery grasped in their filthy hands. My dreams were my only chance to be free for a maximum of eight hours, with that I could be satisfied with if they were daily. But waking up after having an amazing dream with a set of alarms did not satisfy me at all. 

The loud alarms rang into my ears harshly, making me almost deaf. I groaned. Why do they make emergency drills this early in the morning? I ignored the naggy alarms, and continued my morning rituals with a bit more speed due to the alarm not coming off. It was weird since it usually onlt lasts up to twenty minutes, but it has been an hour or more due to me being asleep. After the morning shower, I simply grasped the dress my father had prepared me for the interview that would take place today after arriving into Naksan in a bit more than seven hours. 

I had trouble putting the dress on since the alarm had me in multiple nerves. My blood slowly boiled in frenzy and annoyance. The beige crop top exposed a bit of my flat stomach, but I ignored it once the high-rise skirt that reached up to a bit below my upper-thigh covered a great part of it only exposing a small portion of my pale skin. I was not in the mood to wear the belonging high heels that came along with the outfit, so instead picked the similar colored sandals that were thrown into the closet. The comfortable feeling of sandals had me smiling even if I quickly walked out of the room.

I walked and walked, but nobody appeared in my eyes. It was as if I was in a ghostly ship, and my senses began to go in alarm. Everything was quiet if it wasn't for the loud blarings of the alarms. My eyes searched but nothing, just myself. Finally, I reached the deck and there was nothing, or more like nobody. I spun in multiple directions, only finding myself. Finally my stomach dropped in realization. This was a real shipwreck.

My feet ran inside for a sight of someone, and I kept getting the conclusion of nothing. What hapenned? I pushed all the fear away, and ran to the captain's office for an answer. It would take time to reach the room, but with my quick jogging, I reached it in seconds. My knocks rang in my own ears, but they didn't hear the sound of familiar steps. I sighed with my hands turning the knob in hopes of finding something to my questions, but I found an empty room. "Hello?" My voice was loud in hopes of catching attention, and nothing did I get back in response. The ringing was louder in the room, and my head snapped like a lightbulb. I slowly reached the monitors to see what was going on, and my eyes widened at the view. The ship's motors broke down completely, meaning the ship was slowly going to drown. I gasped in horror, and quickly walked out of the room. This really made me panic, I didn't know what to do. I was obviously left due to my lakc of waking up. 

Once again, I reached the deck to check in assurance. I peeked over the rails and felt my body trembling at the sight that there was no longer any of the railing boats used when there is a shipwreck. If it was possible, my stomach kept dropping lower by the step I took, and I tried to remain calm. There was no need to be panic, it is not needed. If I died drowning, at least it would be better than dying burned, right? That didn't help, but my eyes catched a few life jackets thrown in a pile. It was a sight of heaven, and I almost hugged the life jacket in my relief at the sight that it was perfectly fine. Expertly blowing and inflating the life jacket, I sighed at the material surrounding my neck. I knew what I had to do...Jump. It sounds easy, but my body froze multiply at the mere sight of the flowing water. 

'It's this or death, Jinri.' My conscious repeated, but I still found myself in doubts. My hands only clutched onto the rails tighter, and my eyes searched for invisible signs. Would the water be too cold for me to handle? Would the current be too strong? I sighed knowing there was only one answer, try. If I die, I die trying. Better than dying hopeless. My eyes snapped close instantly, and with one last sigh, my hands began to release the rails.

"Wait!" My body spun, and my eyes widened in surprise. There was someone! But when I turned, I gasped at my memory. The poor woman with her child, how could I forget her? Instantly, I brought life jackets for both of them. I thanked the angels above for the last children sized life jacket, and quickly inflated it for the young boy who seemed oblivious to the alarms with his giggles ringing in my ears. He was an innocent child, it was better than having him traumatized. 

Once I checked assuringly that the life jacket was safe, I quickly wrapped the material around the small portion of his neck and nodded at his fascination over the yellow plastic. I looked up to see whether the mother was ready, to only find her smiling at me, the life jacket thrown in the floor. My eyes widened in shock at her oblivious demeanor and pointed to it. "I'm sorry, but there is no time...This ship will go down in any moment!" I began to pick up the life jacket when her hand grasped onto my shoulder. My eyes met with hers, and I knew there was something wrong.

"This is my end, I know it. Things happen for a reason, and I'm sure this is my last." Her words were somehow a pang of depression for my weak ears, and I shook my head.

"Don't say that. It's not your-"

"It is, young lady. I know when things go wrong, and I know I won't make it to complete my wish. Naksan won't appear in front of my eyes, and my body is too weak too handle these kind of things." Her hands grasped onto her heart, as her face scrunched up in noticable pain. "I get stressed easily, and my body is not helping." I looked around for anything that I could help her with. I couldn't leave her, she was a noble person doing such a beautiful thing for her child. However, her hands went over my shoulders. "Please, stop. Nothing will do, I'm going to die soon anyways, just don't bother. You are a wonderful person, and I know you want to help me, but sweetie...Nothing will change my fate." Her words were the truth. It was the cruel reality, and my guilt was visible.

"Then what are you going to do?" My voice was loud against the alarms, but I was just too worried for the humble person.

Her smile wasn't a real one, I knew it. But her hands grasping onto the little boy tighter gave me an odd feeling. "I'll just pray for you, and wait for my time to end. I'm ready for it..." I sighed with my eyes snapping shut, and nodded. The woman slowly pushed me towards the rails, and I followed along. This was her fate, but mine was a different one, she also knew it. I turned at the sight of the water, and met her eyes one last time. But the glint in her hazels had me confused.

"Can you do me a last favor?" Her voice was almost pleading, which I only nodded. The least I could do is try to help.

Her sigh had my eyebrows furrowing. "Can you please take care of my son?" My eyes widened, and I quickly snapped towards the wide-eyed boy with his dark hair shining against the sun's rays. "I know it sounds like much, but you are my only hope. I begg you, I don't want to see my boy die along with me." She was right, and slowly her arms outstretched the boy to my waiting arms.

"Are you sure?" My voice was uncertain, but her nod was my pure answer. I turned away from the sight of the mother's tears fina

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter