IV. Someone New

My All

That moment, everything in Minho’s eyes was frozen. It took few good seconds before things in front of him registered in his brain. There was Taemin, in the arms of a stranger

Taemin stood there. Mouth still agape, it was Minho infront of him. The person he tried to avoid all-ing-day. The person he subconsciously wanted to see. It was his world in front of him. After realizing the position he’s into, he quickly pushed Kai’s arms off of him. “Oh, hi.” He tried to sound as casually and calmly as possible with a small smile but he feels like collapsing any second. What if Minho started breaking down again? What if he throws an arm off Kai and they start fighting? What if he’s jealous? What if he begs him to be back in his life? With all these random thoughts in his mind, he realized he’s been over thinking when Minho just casually said sorry to Kai for stumbling onto him and the he turned his back, just like that. The act made Taemin even more speechless. That’s it? That-ing-was-it? He saw me, he clearly saw me. Is he mad at me or something? Why the hell did he ignore me?

And just like that, their first encounter in the campus was as confusing as it was. Not even a single question was answered. Not even a short conversation was made. 

 

“You know him?” Kai asked Taemin, eyeing the latter’s tensed aura. Taemin simply gave him a nod, pulling him off the crowd. “Let’s get going. I’ll just text Key we’ll be leaving. It’s getting late.” Kai lets himself be dragged, still curious who’s the 'Oh, hi.' guy earlier.

They walked out of campus without having any conversation. Taemin's mind was all occupied, still in thoughts about Minho acting the opposite from his expectations earlier. As much as Kai wants to know who’s that guy, he feels like it’s too early to ask Taemin. It’s just a day they’ve got to know each other. “Want me to walk you home?” He asked.

Taemin politely declined the offer. “Kai, my house isn’t some kind of a walking distance, you know.” He joked.

With a giddy smile, Kai replied not losing even a bit of enthusiasm. “We can ride the bus together then.”

“Our houses are on the opposite sides of school.” Taemin playfully rolled his eyes, obviously showing he's liking the offer but just not today.

Kai wrapped his arms on Taemin’s shoulder, then whispered it cool. “I’m always willing to take the long route. Maybe next time?” Kai gave off his gorgeous wink, before smoothly turning the other direction and parted their ways.

 

 

Taemin threw himself in bed that night after dinner. School errands, dance routine for the audition & Minho acting strange was stressing him. He was fine. He completely moved on. Then why the heck is it bugging me? He thought. This is what I wanted all along. For him to move on so we can go on with our own lives without having guilt or regret. He sighed. He just can't understand himself with all these thoughts. Someone to talk to is what he needs right now, Key!

 

To: Key

I saw Minho at the locker area!

 

From: Key

What happened?

 

To: Key

I’m telling you tomorrow. Let’s have lunch together.

 

From: Key

Ok, good night!

 

Key texted Taemin around lunch time the next day as planned, telling him he’s in the school cafeteria. Taemin arrived after few minutes seeing Key with Jonghyun much to his dismay. As much as Jonghyun’s a good old friend, as much as he wants to catch up with his sunbae, a good time with his best friend alone is what he needs right now. He barely got any decent sleep last night. His ex lover who he thought was still into him suddenly was all normal when they bumped into each other. He even ignored him.  Taemin was left there all confused. He needs someone to talk to, to enlighten him so he won’t end up over thinking with the most unlogical reasons and scenarios that are far from the real meaning of what’s really happening.

He approached the couple’s table, sitting beside Key. “Oh, Taemin you’re here.” Jonghyun greeted him first. Key instantly asked the younger what happened the other day when he bumped through Minho. Getting Jonghyun's interest, he asked. “You saw Minho, yesterday?” Taemin simply nodded. Oh that’s why…

“What was that?” Taemin asked.

“Nothing.” Jonghyun lied. Ofcourse he knows Minho had few drinks last night, he was with him. Minho arrived in his place late that night with few cans of beer. (No, he can’t admit it especially in front of Key. He texted him early last night he’s having an early sleep. Strictly no drinking on school days.) For hours, Minho was ranting on how painful it is to see a property once yours, something that has been yours for a long time, in someone else’s hands already. How hard it is to accept that it’s your own ing fault to let go of something so precious. Then he remembered his friend was coming for lunch. “Oh, Minho’s coming here. I forgot to tell you we usually have lunch together.”

“What?” Taemin quickly stood up and was suppose to leave. He became restless with Minho being mentioned. But Key stopped him from leaving. “Are you unsure of your own feelings? I thought you’ve moved on already?”

“Ofcourse. It’s fine, it’s been months.” He faked a smile before sitting back on his seat. He can't be a coward, he can't avoid Minho forever, he thought. He gathered all his left courage, if there was any and sat back down. It's been months, I've moved on. Looks like he also moved on. His heart starting to race, his palms getting wet, his knees shaking.

And there was Minho, in front of him again.

They had normal greetings, catching up like old friends do, random conversations here and there. Minho asked Taemin what made him choose Panjak University, the younger objectively explained it's because of the school's quality in teaching. They even talked about their class schedule, matching their vacant time, lunch breaks and dismissal. They too talked about the terror professors in the school, how Minho was this year's soccer team captain and the joy in Taemin's eyes were still there —Minho could still clearly see that. They talked about almost everything, except anything related about their relationship slash break up which is a good move. Atleast nothing was awkward or hard. Taemin thought it would be, but it was far from that. The four of them casually had their lunch together, just like a typical circle of friends plus Jonghyun and Key’s lovey dovey from time to time but other than that, everything went well that noon. The pathetic ex boyfriend who can’t move on is all gone and Taemin was actually relieved by that. But a part of him is in deep thoughts if it really is possible on going back as friends after everything that happened between them. But who knows, he thought. Maybe, maybe not.

From: 9832176xxx

Where are you? I’m bored alone. -Kai

To: 9832176xxx

Cafeteria.

 “It’s fine to have another friend, right? My new friend got no company I told him he can go here.” Taemin announced in their table. “The friend… uh, the one yesterday?” Minho blurted before regretting his sudden act. Stupid Minho, why are you making it obvious you still care.

Taemin looked at Minho then quickly broke their eye contact off to avoid the awkwardness. “Yes. And to make it clear, it’s because you stumbled off him that’s why we’re that close when you saw us.” Taemin hated himself for explaining. Not that he needs to, but a part of him wants to.

Kai arrived in their table greeting Key and Taemin. Jonghyun introduced himself as Key’s boyfriend while Minho, how was he suppose to introduce himself to this stranger? “I'm Minho, Taemin’s…” World? Ex boyfriend? Special someone? He eyed Taemin, asking for rescue. Who is he in Taemin’s life right now? He could even be the same stranger.

“Friend.” Taemin finished his sentence for him. “He’s my friend.”

“I’m Kai, his new friend.” The other responded as he reached a hand to Minho. If you’ll read between the lines, the statement was short but definitely has something. As much as Minho was irked by the label, of Kai being the new one, he still shook his hand.

 

 

That afternoon, Taemin ended up inside Minho’s car after being literally dragged by the older insisting he’ll drive him home. At first, Taemin was full of doubts. Does Minho really think it’s all fine to drive him home just because he introduced him as his friend? They haven't even settled anything completely. They haven't even talked about what they had. Must they talk about it now? What if people get the wrong idea of them being back together? What if his own heart gets the wrong idea, too?

“Look Minho, you really don’t have the need to drive me home.” It was Taemin who broke the silence first, looking outside the car. It was harder to be with Minho now that they were alone.

Minho laughed. “Taemin please, you’re sitting there for few minutes already. We’re just 2 blocks away from your place.”

Taemin was embarrassed. “Funny how the first time you drive me home was after our break up.” As much as it may sound ridiculous, he can’t be the only one embarrassed here. Might as well have the entire atmosphere awkward than be awkward alone.

Minho was taken aback. All the regrets filling his mind again. So it was the littlest things he missed to do. The littlest things that matters. “C’mon Taemin, there’s nothing wrong with a friend driving a friend home.” He tried to excuse.

“Then was it so wrong to drive me home when we were still together?” Taemin pushed it a little too hard, trying to see the limits. The topic was brought up, might as well have something essential from it.

“That’s why I’m driving you home right now, before we get back together.” Minho tried easing the tension as smoothly as possible. As hard as it was to him, acting like nothing's wrong is what he thought would be best. He realized starting off as friends again would be good. No pressures.

Taemin rolled his eyes. He can't believe Minho was sounding like a  cassannova right now. “Oh Minho, please.” He  was about to get off the car since they already stopped infront of his place but Minho suddenly stopped him and pulled him by his arm. That moment Taemin felt like disappearing. Was this really happening? The last time he checked, he doesn't want to see Minho. He doesn't want to talk to Minho. He doesn't want to be with Minho. But there he was, held by Minho, stopping him from leaving.

“Taemin, I want you back in my life.” 

 

 

 

And the supposed to be sweet proposal of an ex lover was the hardest for some hearts.

A/N I tweaked it a few! Correscted some grammar and elaborated some scenarios. Comments are highly appreciated and so are suggestion, heh~