XVIII. Beside You

My All

Taemin was lying flat on his bed that night, blankly looking at his room’s ceiling which is apparently interesting to him for he’s been staring at it for a few hours or more. So Minho finally met someone better than him —that’s what he’s been thinking for hours. His head a ­scattered mess, he was startled when his phone suddenly beeped. Upon seeing it’s Kai on the ID, he sat his up.

 

From: Kai

Guess what?

 

To: Kai

What?

 

From: Kai

Mom agreed on using our private resort in the beachside. R U up for some getaway?

 

To: Kai

Wait —what???????

 

From: Kai

I already asked some players and trainees from the soccer team to come. Jonghyun hyung agreed & he’s bringing Key. I won’t take no for an answer, Lee Taemin!

 

Taemin ran his way downstairs to ask for his parents’ approval. After few minutes of begging, assurance that he’ll take care of himself and hundreds of promises that he’ll call them regularly, he got the very precious okay.

 

To: Kai

You’re so random! When is it gonna be?

 

From: Kai

Tomorrow 9am @ the university’s main gate. We rented a friend’s shuttle bus so u can’t be late or we’ll leave u!

 

To: Kai

You’re the king of short notice, Kai but count me in! Wait… don’t tell me you invited Minho?

 

From: Kai

Oh, I’m sorry to burst your bubble but no, I didn’t invite Minho. You could ask him to come, though. My sister’s bringing some of her girl friends too. You know how the team is all guys and I’m not up for a sausage party. Lmao!

 

To: Kai

I need to unwind, ok? Why would I even tell him to come, are you kidding? What the is a sausage party you tard! Lol

 

Upon realizing he’s missing a very essential point of this conversation. He quickly sent him a follow up text message. What the hell? He has a sister? And I don’t even know her, yet?

 

To: Kai

Wait —you have a sister?????

 

From: Kai

She’s a sophomore taking up fashion.

 

To: Kai

And you didn’t even tell me???

 

From: Kai

U never asked.

--

 

 

Taemin arrived at the scheduled meet up place the next morning. Kai was already there with his arm around the girl’s neck (which he assumes is his sister because god they look alike!) —Jonghyun and Key, too.

He approached them while surveying the familiar and new faces around them. He knew most of the jocks since they’ve been playing on the school team for years, with Minho. He’s acquainted with some of the trainees, too. He even know some of the girls; The girl with an extra high pitch nasal voice Eunseo of the fashion department, Seulgi, Taeyeon and Jessica. Oh damn it, there’s Jessica the queenka.

A familiar voice suddenly got his attention as he’s cursing under his breath. “Tae! This is my sister, Kiko.” Kai said as he called him few feet away, tightening his arms around his sister, playfully choking her. Taemin gave the siblings a sweet smile as he introduced himself.

Taemin scoots closer to Key and nudged him lightly to get his best friend’s attention. “Damn it, she’s friends with Jessica.” He whispered.

“Yeah, I saw her. You might end up as friends after this short vacation.” Key teased earning him a glare.

Taemin rolled his eyes; Irritation running in his body. It’s Jessica they were talking about, he thought. She’s she who caused everything. She’s one who destroyed his everything. “As-ing-if!” Taemin scoffed.

 

 

Taemin was looking from quite afar, face still stern, when he saw a very familiar car approaching. Damn it, it’s Choi. He quickly gave Kai a glare, grunting. “I thought he won’t be here?”

“Oh, it’s Irene ah!” Kiko suddenly squealed, pointing at the familiar vehicle approaching them. Then it hits him. Oh! He’s driving that girl here. What a ing sweet boyfriend he is.

As the couple approach their circle, Minho carrying a big luggage which Taemin assumes is Irene’s, Taemin tried his hard to keep a passive look, as if he’s cool with all this when deep inside, he’s raging with jealousy.

“Oh, you’re coming?” Jonghyun the pabo suddenly asked which Minho replied to by shaking his head. “I just gave her a ride.” He added as he subtly points his head to Irene. Jonghyun went ‘Oh’ when he realized there’s Taemin and how everything turned awkward because of his pabo question.

But since a little bit pabo isn’t enough for Jonghyun, he even tried asking Minho to come along which earned him an elbow nudging him. Key found his move really insignificant and pabo, especially since they both know how awkward everything is becoming.

Before Taemin knew it, his mouth is once again betraying him when “What? No!” wasn’t filtered. Quickly cursing at himself because damn how obvious can he get? Minho can’t help but fake a smile. He hates being with me that much, huh?

What was that, Taemin ah?” Jonghyun queried.

Wait —what? Am I supposed to admit how jealousy is eating me up whenever I see Minho and Irene together? How Minho’s presence alone making me crazy? How torn I am by my own heart and mind’s battle?  After faking his most awkward smile, scratching the back of his neck because he doesn’t know what to say, Taemin came up with a lame excuse.“It’s Nothing. Uh, I mean… it’s not even your place we’re all going to. Why are you inviting other people?” Then he laughed. And he himself doesn’t know why he’s laughing. Lightly hitting Jonghyun’s arm, he continued with his sarcastic-dumb laugh. “You’re funny, hyung. It’s supposed to be Kai or Kiko asking him to come.” And Taemin hates himself because he’s sounding like a thirteen year old girl right now, in front of her crush, all squeals and nasal laugh.

“Well, why don’t you join us, Minho-ssi?” Kai quickly spat halting Taemin’s over the top laugh.

“What! Why?” Taemin kept in mind that his big mouth needs to be trained to shut the up at times like this. Shutting his eye while hitting his lips lightly as he curse under his breath. Taemin pabo. Pabo. Pabo.

He realized he got everyone’s attention when he opened his eyes. “You’re weird, Taemin-ssi.” Kiko suddenly said, making him even more embarrassed.

“Oh, don’t mind me.” He said as he dumbly laughs, again, even clapping his hands because damn it what’s happening to him? “Well… Minho hyung, are you coming or what?” And everyone swears as much as those eight words are what they least expect to hear from Taemin, the boy said those within a second.

 

Even when Minho told them he doesn’t have clothes for almost a long week vacation…

“I have lots. And you have the team, Minho. It’s not like borrowing clothes is a new thing for us.” —Jonghyun

 

When he said his parents would be worried…

“I’ll call them and tell them you’re accompanying me.” —Irene, and a part of Taemin’s heart ached a bit because she’s been introduced to the family, he thought.

 

When Minho told them he has lots of things to do…

“Choi, it’s ing semestral break.” —Key

 

When he lied about having the need to attend a birthday party of some friend the next day…

“But, aren’t all your closest friends joining us?” —Kiko

 

When he came up with a very lame excuse of maybe the shuttle will already be full…

“It’s fine, there are lots of extra seats.” —Kai

 

And when he finally admitted that he doesn’t think it’s a very good idea to join them, because maybe Taemin doesn’t want him to be there

“Why not?” —Taemin

--

 

 

 

Everyone was going towards the rented shuttle to settle themselves for the 3-hour travel. Kai have his arms around Taemin’s shoulder (the one like best buds) as he’s nagging the hell out of Kai. “Why did you even ask him to come?” “I thought you knew well enough how much I need time alone?” “I thought we’re friends?” “Do you like him now better?” “Whose side are you anyways?”

And Kai can’t help find Taemin’s rant cute. Because everything about him is, that’s why. “You sure talk a whole ing lot when you’re nervous.”

Taemin then quickly looked at him. “What was that suppose to mean?”

“As much as you deny wanting him to be there, you’re so obvious, Tae.” And Taemin didn’t respond anymore. What’s the point of denying when he’s all caught?

--

 

 

Taemin was suppose to sit with Kai during the bus ride but since both of them wanted to be in the window side, Kai ended up transferring seat. He told him he wants to watch the view but Taemin insisted that he’s getting dizzy unless he’s in the window side.

That’s why he’s sitting alone, with the cutest pout right now when Minho suddenly asked. “Is the seat taken?”

“Unless you see any spirits sitting.” Taemin responded with a poker face.

And Minho can’t help but let out a weak laugh because he finds it cute. What the hell? How is that cute? Because everything about Taemin is cute, that’s why. Even with so much hesitation, he took the seat beside Taemin because you only live once, he thought.

“What are you doing?” Taemin asked with the most dumb founded face because hell the bus have lots of other vacant seat.

“Sitting in a vacant seat?” Minho innocently pointed out.

“Yeah right, like I didn’t know that.” Taemin rolled his eyes with much sarcasm. “What about Irene?”

“She’s sitting with her best friend.”

“Jessica’s here too, you know?”

“Would you rather have me seated beside her, then?”

Minho was all ready to transfer to another seat because he’s honestly expecting a yes with a venom voice. He was dumbfounded for a second, not even sure if he heard it right because Taemin was looking outside the window when he heard him say…

“No.”

And Minho can’t help but smile as he lazily slouch himself in the most comfortable position he can have for the next three hours of happiness travel.

 

 

 

Stay.